SportsWrath

2007 NY Giants Articles and Video

jerseygiantfan

The use of colleges as jack leg minor leagues for football and basketball simply has to stop, hopefully before I reach my 80th birthday. We have 37 more years to go. A young man should be able to earn money (as in the baseball minor leagues) as he learns his professional craft. This whole concept of the scholar athlete is so past its expiration date as to not warrant any consideration at this point. Oh...but I forgot the big name college programs would lose their multi-million dollar television contracts and have to go back to being institutes of higher learning as they were meant to be. :rolleyes:

The use of colleges as jack leg minor leagues for football and basketball simply has to stop, hopefully before I reach my 80th birthday. We have 37 more years to go. A young man should be able to earn money (as in the baseball minor leagues) as he learns his professional craft. This whole concept of the scholar athlete is so past its expiration date as to not warrant any consideration at this point. Oh...but I forgot the big name college programs would lose their multi-million dollar television contracts and have to go back to being institutes of higher learning as they were meant to be. :rolleyes:

He's getting his education for free, dude, that's more than you can say for myself.

Big Blue TE is Boss in name only

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, May 14th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

When the NFL scouts made the long trek to Monmouth, Ore., last season, there was no mystery about why they were coming. Even the rest of the hopefuls on the Division II Western Oregon Wolves knew the scouts had eyes for tight end Kevin Boss.

"It was kind of different," Boss said Saturday after his first practice at the Giants' rookie minicamp at Giants Stadium. "All the guys on my team knew the scouts were just watching me. It was kind of 'all eyes on me' at practice sometimes."

It won't be that way anymore, now that Boss, the Giants' fifth-round draft pick, is in the considerable shadow of his new teammate, Jeremy Shockey. At Western Oregon, the 6-6, 253-pound Boss drew comparisons to Shockey because of his size, speed and record-setting production (134 catches, 1,590 yards, 19 touchdowns in 33 games).

The comparisons end there, though, because the 23-year-old Boss comes off as the anti-Shockey. He's soft-spoken and polite - two things Shockey has never been accused of being - and knows he has a lot to learn before he can make his mark in the NFL. They may be somewhat similar as players, but they'll be the Odd Couple off the field.

"People have made that same statement before," Boss said. "I'm just looking forward to meeting him, getting to know him. I respect him a lot as a football player, how he plays real hard every Sunday and lays it all on the line. I'm looking forward to learning from him. Being able to watch him every day in practice will help a lot."

Boss will need some help as he makes the transition to the NFL. He's never played in front of a crowd of more than 10,000. In fact, at Western Oregon, the stands were only on one side of the field. And he could tell from his first practice that the competition was bigger and faster than he'd seen before.

"It's obviously something I'll have to adjust to," Boss said. "Things will probably be a lot faster here, the guys will be bigger, but it's something I'm confident I can adjust to."

Boss might have adjusted quicker if he had played at a bigger football program, but basketball was his first love back in high school, and he wanted to go to a college that allowed him to play both sports. It wasn't until after his "breakout season" as a sophomore (39 catches, 506 yards, five touchdowns) that he thought he might have a shot at the NFL.

He never considered giving up basketball, though, especially since NFL scouts didn't think he should.

"It's funny, my junior year a scout came in from Green Bay and told me to continue to play basketball," Boss said. "Lots of guys are looking for the next Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. A lot of scouts, a lot of teams like former basketball players. A lot of skills from the basketball court can definitely transition over to the football field."

Boss became the second player ever from Western Oregon to get drafted (offensive lineman Brian Crawford was a seventh-round pick of the Vikings in 2001). He might have gone higher than the fifth round if he hadn't torn his labrum (shoulder) late in his senior year.

Now, fully healthy, he has a chance to back up Shockey.

"Hopefully I'll work hard enough to earn that backup job," he said.

NFL-READY

WR SMITH A GIANT AMONG ROOKIES

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

<B>STEVE SMITH</B>

STEVE SMITH

PrintEmailDigg ItStory Bottom

May 14, 2007 -- Of all the rookies set to infiltrate Giants training camp in Al bany this summer, Steve Smith is poised to outshine them all.

Count on it.

This does not ensure greatness or even a wonderful career, but it does mean that Smith, a polished receiver from USC, appears to be far ahead of his classmates when it comes to readiness to make an instant impact.

On the first day of rookie minicamp Saturday, Smith, with every step and each catch, soared above the other 50 players, the vast majority of whom will never play a single down for the Giants or don the uniform again after today's camp finale. This indeed was Smith's official introduction to the NFL, but no one can ever say he hasn't been fully versed in what to expect.

Consider this: In col lege, he stepped on the practice field and was surrounded by the likes of Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White and Dwayne Jarrett, an array of offensive talent that certainly could not be recreated at any minicamp.

"The NFL was a dream we all had," Smith said of his former USC teammates. "Seeing those guys move on and be successful in my mind set me at ease, knowing I could make the jump, knowing I could produce."

He caught everything in sight in his first two practice sessions, often having no problem navigating past cornerback Aaron Ross, the first-round draft pick from Texas. The Giants waited until the second round to snag Smith, who with the Trojans was often overshadowed by the taller and more spectacular Jarrett. Smith stood smaller in stature (barely 6-feet) but ran precise routes and could be counted on to come through under pressure; he had three touchdown receptions in the 2004 National Championship game victory over Oklahoma.

"I knew I'm a great player, that's why the Giants took me," Smith said, more matter-of-factly than boastfully. "I'm excited they did, I can show everybody why I am and prove it to them.

"Playing at 'SC, all those big-time games, that helps me playing in this big city and with the high expectations, similar to what we had in L.A."

Smith is insurance for Amani Toomer, who is coming off reconstructive knee surgery, and likely is the long-term replacement for Toomer, who turns 33 on Sept. 8 and holds virtually every Giants receiving record. If Toomer is healthy, figure Smith and Sinorice Moss, in his second year out of Miami, will wage an interesting battle for the No. 3 receiver spot.

"It's a tremendous opportunity, with the departure of Tiki [barber], I'm sure you know we're going to be throwing the ball," Smith said. "I just want to be one of the weapons."

The Giants put their rookies through the paces and not only were thrilled with that they saw out of Smith, but also what they heard.

"He made some nice catches . . . he had good hands," Tom Coughlin said. "Usually I like to listen. You can listen and tell a lot about a guy catching the ball. I want to hear that nice, soft . . . poof. I don't want to hear that 'whack' against the palm of the hand or the ball going against the fence."

So, how did Smith sound?

"He sounded good," Coughlin said.

Smith said contrary to public perception, Pete Carroll runs a tight ship at USC, meaning there should be no problem adjusting to life under Coughlin.

"I'm going to try to prove myself day in and day out in practice, stay after practice and watch film," Smith said. "Show I can be productive as a rookie."

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

Giants dig foreign soil

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

The interest in the Giants' game against the Miami Dolphins in London on Oct. 28 has been so great that the NFL is considering having each team play one international game every year.

The topic of a potential 17th regular-season game, to be played in several international cities, may be discussed at the NFL's owners meeting in Nashville on Tuesday. And if it is, it's an idea Giants ownership is likely to support.

"I know from attending prior owners meetings, (former commissioner) Paul Tagliabue and Roger (Goodell, the current commissioner) are very interested in the potential for an NFL presence around the world," Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said yesterday at a promotional press conference for the game. "I wouldn't consider this game an audition, but I think it's going to be very, very closely watched."

The league has received more than half a million requests for the 90,000 tickets for the game at Wembley Stadium, far more than originally expected. (Approximately 5,000 of those tickets will be made available to Giants fans sometime next week.)

"That says to the NFL owners, 'This game has crossed the border of our country,'" said Giants treasurer Jonathan Tisch. "'There's so much interest, let's take a serious look at doing more of these overseas.'"

The idea is to eliminate one preseason game and add an extra regular-season game, with several contests being played in cities such as London, Toronto, Mexico City and Berlin - an idea Steve Tisch said "in theory makes a lot of sense." That possibility is why he said this game "could be looked on as the equivalent of Super Bowl I."

IT'S PERSONNEL: Greg Gabriel, the Bears director of college scouting, will interview today for the Giants' director of player personnel job. Other candidates for GM Jerry Reese's old job include Giants assistant director of pro personnel Ken Sternfeld, Patriots scout Marvin Allen, Ravens scout Lionel Vital, Bills scout Marc Ross, and Bucs scout Brian Gardner.... The Giants signed three players who tried out at last weekend's rookie camp: DL Dek Bake (Texas Tech), G Matt Maddox (Illinois) and CB Darren Barnett (Missouri State). They waived rookie WR Brandon Myles (West Virginia).

Daily News Specials

Team Report: Inside Slant

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel

The Giants welcomed two unexpected guests in time for their first minicamp of the summer -- tight end Jeremy Shockey and wide receiver Plaxico Burress. The pair of invaluable starters had shunned the off-season workout program in previous seasons -- three off-seasons for Shockey, two for Burress.

Instead, they worked out in south Florida at the camp administered by former and current University of Miami athletes plus a few invited guests (such as Burress), and while the team workout program is not mandatory, it was a slap in the face to head coach Tom Coughlin and his staff.

Shockey explained his actions by insisting that he got a better workout in Florida with more intensity and competition, since there were several current Hurricane players still vying for positions once the college season began. He convinced Burress that it would be beneficial for him, too, and so both of them became holdouts, in a manner of speaking.

But now it appears they have relented, at least partially. Burress was at the team's Giants Stadium headquarters earlier this week and Shockey will be there for the first minicamp (for rookies and free agents) over Mother's Day weekend.

Of course, the recalcitrant pair already missed the bulk of the program since it began in mid-March.

Quarterback Eli Manning has often said that he tried to convince the players to report, claiming that the chance to work out with them on a daily basis could only improve the team's passing game and the on-field communication between his two favorite receivers and himself.

When it was suggested that he might split his time (remember, the program is optional) between New Jersey and Florida, Manning quickly shook his head. "My team is here, this is where I work out and the rest of the players are here," he said.

Now it would appear that the team is all together. Perhaps those public displays of frustration on the part of the two receivers after an errant pass will cease. It was never clear whether Manning threw the ball badly or the receivers didn't run the proper routes. More "togetherness" might make that embarrassing situation less common.

Tickets to game in London going fast

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 20 hours ago

LONDON (AP) - The first regular season NFL game outside North America is shaping up as a hot ticket.

The first 40,000 tickets for the Oct. 28 game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants at the new Wembley Stadium sold in 90 minutes Wednesday.

"The speed in which such a large number of tickets were snapped up ... demonstrates the great excitement and appetite for the game in this country," said Alistair Kirkwood, managing director of NFL UK. "We know that the last few tickets available in this first batch will be gone very soon."

The first batch of tickets went to fans in Britain and the rest of Europe selected randomly from registered ticket requests.

Sales in the United States to Giants and Dolphins fans are expected to begin within a week. Further tickets will be released to fans in Britain next month.

About 10,000 fans are expected to travel from the United States, a fraction of the anticipated sellout crowd of 90,000.

Prices range from about $90 to $180, using a pricing structure similar to this weekend's FA Cup final between Manchester United and Chelsea.

Giants make trade for kicker

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 9:25 PM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Uncomfortable with the idea of two rookie kickers battling for the job, the Giants traded for veteran kicker Lawrence Tynes yesterday.

Tynes, a 29-year-old native of Scotland, was acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs for a conditional draft pick. He had made 78.2% of his field goals (68 for 87) in three years in Kansas City, including 6 of 11 from 50-plus yards. But he became expendable when the Chiefs drafted UCLA kicker Justin Medlock in the fifth round.

To make room for Tynes, the Giants cut former UConn kicker Marc Hickok. They kept former Ohio State kicker Josh Huston, who will theoretically compete in training camp with Tynes.

"We wanted a guy to come in here and put pressure on (Huston), who we really like a lot," Giants GM Jerry Reese said in a statement. "Huston has a really strong leg. But we feel better about having a guy that's kicked in the league to come in and compete for the job, because we were basically handing it to (Huston) without a lot of competition. We want to put pressure on him to earn the job. And we want (Tynes) to earn the job as well."

JETS ADD HICKS: The Jets signed former Chiefs DE Eric Hicks to an undisclosed contract. He likely signed for the veterans' minimum, $820,000. Hicks was a productive, seven-year starter in Kansas City, but he suffered a dramatic decline last season in a minor role. He was released May1, three days after the Chiefs used a second-round pick on DT Turk McBride.Hicks has 44-1/2 sacks, including a career-high 14 in 2000. The Chiefs felt his skills had eroded, as he managed only nine tackles in 16games last season.

New York Giants

Aaron Ross should be able to help the Giants in two different areas. (Bill Kostroun / Associated Press)

Draft review

Heading into the draft, the Giants' most pressing need was probably left tackle, but the team drafted Texas cornerback Aaron Ross with the 20th overall selection. By the time New York went on the clock, Joe Thomas and Levi Brown were long gone (both were top-five picks) and Joe Staley, generally considered the third-best available tackle, remained. The difference, however, is that Staley isn't NFL-ready — he may need a few years to grow into the starting job, and the Giants, at least from general manager Jerry Reese's perspective, had more immediate needs.

The team hopes Ross can replace much-maligned Sam Madison at cornerback, and he could team with Sinorice Moss at kick returner and replace Chad Morton as the team's punt returner.

With Moss coming off an injury-plagued rookie campaign, the Giants drafted USC wideout Steve Smith in the second round. The NFL Network's Mike Mayock described Smith and Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez as the two best slot receivers available in the draft, and Smith has a chance to be the team's third wide receiver heading into season.

Fourth-round pick Zak DeOssie brings the number of Brown University alumni now in the NFL to two (Arizona's Sean Morey is the other). In addition to the Ivy League education, DeOssie is a 6-foot-5, 250-pound linebacker who can run. He'll make his living on special teams but has a chance to move into the starting lineup in the future.

New York finally addressed the loss of left tackle Luke Petitgout in the sixth round, when they drafted Oregon State's Adam Koets. He's at least two years away from competing for a starting job, but by that time the Giants might also be looking for a new quarterback.

Marshall's Ahmad Bradshaw lasted until the seventh round because of character concerns, but he had an impressive minicamp, and some fans are already making "the next Tiki Barber" comparisons because of their physical similarities.

Remaining needs

After left tackle, linebacker was arguably the teams' biggest need. The DeOssie selection aside, the Giants still have very little depth at the position. To that end, last year's first-round pick, defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka, will move to outside linebacker. The team's only high-profile free-agent signing, Kawika Mitchell, will play weakside linebacker with second-year player Gerris Wilkinson battling him for playing time.

Undrafted free agents

With Visanthe Shiancoe now in Minnesota, the only tight end on the roster with an NFL reception is Jeremy Shockey. Practice-squadder Darcy Johnson, fifth-round pick Kevin Boss, and undrafted free agent Michael Matthews will be battling for one, maybe two spots.

After a failed tryout with the Packers, Wisconsin quarterback John Stocco signed with the Giants, attended minicamp, and was promptly released.

New York Giants

Aaron Ross should be able to help the Giants in two different areas. (Bill Kostroun / Associated Press)

Draft review

Heading into the draft, the Giants' most pressing need was probably left tackle, but the team drafted Texas cornerback Aaron Ross with the 20th overall selection. By the time New York went on the clock, Joe Thomas and Levi Brown were long gone (both were top-five picks) and Joe Staley, generally considered the third-best available tackle, remained. The difference, however, is that Staley isn't NFL-ready — he may need a few years to grow into the starting job, and the Giants, at least from general manager Jerry Reese's perspective, had more immediate needs.

The team hopes Ross can replace much-maligned Sam Madison at cornerback, and he could team with Sinorice Moss at kick returner and replace Chad Morton as the team's punt returner.

With Moss coming off an injury-plagued rookie campaign, the Giants drafted USC wideout Steve Smith in the second round. The NFL Network's Mike Mayock described Smith and Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez as the two best slot receivers available in the draft, and Smith has a chance to be the team's third wide receiver heading into season.

Fourth-round pick Zak DeOssie brings the number of Brown University alumni now in the NFL to two (Arizona's Sean Morey is the other). In addition to the Ivy League education, DeOssie is a 6-foot-5, 250-pound linebacker who can run. He'll make his living on special teams but has a chance to move into the starting lineup in the future.

New York finally addressed the loss of left tackle Luke Petitgout in the sixth round, when they drafted Oregon State's Adam Koets. He's at least two years away from competing for a starting job, but by that time the Giants might also be looking for a new quarterback.

Marshall's Ahmad Bradshaw lasted until the seventh round because of character concerns, but he had an impressive minicamp, and some fans are already making "the next Tiki Barber" comparisons because of their physical similarities.

Remaining needs

After left tackle, linebacker was arguably the teams' biggest need. The DeOssie selection aside, the Giants still have very little depth at the position. To that end, last year's first-round pick, defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka, will move to outside linebacker. The team's only high-profile free-agent signing, Kawika Mitchell, will play weakside linebacker with second-year player Gerris Wilkinson battling him for playing time.

Undrafted free agents

With Visanthe Shiancoe now in Minnesota, the only tight end on the roster with an NFL reception is Jeremy Shockey. Practice-squadder Darcy Johnson, fifth-round pick Kevin Boss, and undrafted free agent Michael Matthews will be battling for one, maybe two spots.

After a failed tryout with the Packers, Wisconsin quarterback John Stocco signed with the Giants, attended minicamp, and was promptly released.

No-shows get pass from Eli

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

The Giants held their third team workout of the spring yesterday, but they are still waiting for Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress to participate in their first.

Both arrived in New Jersey several weeks ago, played a few days of catch with quarterback Eli Manning and promised to stay for even more. But neither has participated in any of the first three days of organized team activities. Even though the drills are voluntary, 84 of the 88 players on the roster attended yesterday's session.

Shockey, Burress, defensive end Michael Strahan and fullback Jim Finn were the only ones who did not.

Tom Coughlin is powerless to force them to attend, but he did not seem pleased with their absence. Asked about Shockey and Burress specifically, the Giants coach twice answered "We'll talk about the guys that are here."

Manning hadn't been pleased with the situation in the past, either, and he has talked about the importance of working with his receivers so they can concentrate on their timing. Yesterday, however, he softened his stance a little, shrugging it off as no big deal.

"My timing with Shockey and Plaxico is going to be there," he said. "I've worked four years with them."

Manning said both players spent somewhere between a week and a half and two weeks working out with him at Giants Stadium in May. Asked if those sessions were beneficial, he said, "I think you always need to work on things and you need your rhythm and timing back before minicamp and everything starts back up."

So was he surprised when they didn't show up? "I don't know when they're here or not," Manning said. "You'll have to ask them."

However, he said he wasn't upset, because he's gotten used to the fact that they just won't show up.

"You accept it," he said. "I've got to do what I can do. I've got to be positive, make the best of every workout, and whoever's out there and wants to come out there and practice and work, that's the guys who I'm going to work with."

DOWN THE LINE: David Diehl took reps at both left tackle and left guard, adding to the mystery of what position he's going to play this season. He says he still has not been told....DE Osi Umenyiora worked out on the sidelines only, but Coughlin did not specify his injury. ... New kicker Lawrence Tynes on the prospect of battling first-year pro Josh Huston in training camp: "I'm competing against myself, not him."

TE rankings: Gates sits on top

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

Michael Harmon / FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 days ago

Tony Gonzalez and Shannon Sharpe ruled the day, and if you missed out on them, you effectively drew names out of a hat. These days, the tight end has become an integral part of all offensive sets, and fantasy owners have a veritable bounty of players from which to choose. But things haven't changed for Tony Gonzalez, as he still resides near the top of the charts.

To no one's surprise, Antonio Gates still ranks at the top of the heap. I'll reveal a more expanded rankings sheet when we celebrate the launch of this year's fantasy football game. Until then, did I acknowledge your fantasy favorite?

1. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers

Norv Turner has the imposing 6-foot-4 tight end working with the wide receivers in mini-camps. He's had Gates line up all over the field and run every route. That can be quite interesting when deployed on Sundays. Gates averaged 4.4 receptions and 57.8 yards per game under Marty Schottenheimer with LaDainian Tomlinson running wild in 2006. I expect the team to utilize him even more this season and create matchup issues in Philip Rivers' second year as the starter. Whatever his role becomes on a game-by-game basis, Gates will remain a red zone monster (nine touchdowns last year).

2. Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City Chiefs

His five touchdowns came in three games during the 2006 season, but the fact that Gonzalez remains the primary receiving target in Kansas City keeps him in the No. 2 spot here. Larry Johnson will certainly continue to pile up a truckload of carries and the addition of Dwayne Bowe should help. However, Damon Huard or Brodie Croyle will continue to find Gonzalez with great regularity. Gonzalez has averaged 78.6 receiving yards and 7.1 touchdowns in his last eight seasons.

3. Todd Heap, Baltimore Ravens

He may show up on the injury report with some regularity, but pain doesn't phase Todd Heap. He battles through injuries and remains a tremendous option for Steve McNair. The addition of Willis McGahee in tandem with the brilliance of the defense should set Heap up with an inordinate number of red zone opportunities. Heap caught four or more passes in 14 games in 2006, and has hauled in 13 touchdowns in the past two seasons. I'm expecting more of the same this year in Brian Billick's offense.

4. Jeremy Shockey, New York Giants

In spite of the fact that he's seemingly always on the injury report, Shockey plays through the pain. He's appeared in 15 games in three consecutive seasons, averaging 63.7 receptions, 726.7 receiving yards and 6.7 touchdowns during this stretch. I expect Shockey's role to grow this year as the Giants begin life without Tiki Barber. Brandon Jacobs will continue to bulldoze his way toward the end zone, but I expect Tom Coughlin to put the ball in Eli Manning's hand with more regularity down low. And that means more opportunity for Shockey.

5. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers

Last season's sixth overall pick started the season with a bang, catching five balls for 37 yards and a touchdown. A freak injury while blocking then took him out of the box score until Week 12. Davis demonstrated that he could be a force in the final four games of the season (13 catches, 196 yards and two scores). He'll undoubtedly cause matchup problems and serve as a safety valve for Alex Smith. The off-season acquisition of Darrell Jackson in the receiving corps will help create mismatches, and there's no question that he'll be a stud in the red zone. Eric Johnson left for the Saints this off-season, leaving no doubt that Davis will be featured.

6. Kellen Winslow, Jr., Cleveland Browns

If Kellen Winslow, Jr. can stay healthy, he should be a force on Cleveland's offense. (Harry How / Getty Images)

There's undoubtedly some concern about Winslow's health coming into 2007 after having missed two of the last three seasons and coming back from off-season surgery. However, there's no question that Winslow is a force on the field when available. He recorded 89 receptions in his first full NFL season and will only get better with more reps. Of course, the fact that the Browns bolstered the offensive line with Joe Thomas and added Jamal Lewis to shoulder the load out of the backfield should open things up downfield. All that remains to be seen is whether Charlie Frye or Brady Quinn lines up under center and how they respond to the role. I expect similar numbers from Winslow if his health holds up with double the touchdown total (from three to six or seven).

7. Chris Cooley, Washington Redskins

His reception total was down last year as the team transitioned from Mark Brunell to Jason Campbell, but Cooley remained a force in the red zone. He improved his yards-per-reception average by two yards over his 2005 totals. It was an impressive feat to reach those totals (734 receiving yards and six touchdowns) given that he'd caught seven passes for 38 yards during the first three weeks of the season. Cooley has scored 20 touchdowns in his three NFL seasons, and he will no doubt be a large factor in Joe Gibbs' scheme once again.

8. Ben Watson, New England Patriots

The additions of Donte Stallworth and Randy Moss will no doubt give Tom Brady more opportunities to spread the field. However, that's the beauty of the offense, with every player getting into the act and the tight end being the go-to guy. The departure of Corey Dillon will open up opportunities in the red zone. Laurence Maroney will no doubt receive his share of work down low, as will Moss, but Tom Brady has always had a knack for finding the tight end (and odd defensive tackle or linebacker on occasion). Watson caught three or more passes in 10 games last season, and the departure of Daniel Graham from the offensive set will give him more chances in the possession-conscious New England attack.

9. Alge Crumpler, Atlanta Falcons

Crumpler established a new career mark with eight touchdown receptions in 2006. He remains Michael Vick's favorite target, even with the addition of Joe Horn. Horn's acquisition will no doubt change the dynamics in Bobby Petrino's offense, but I fully anticipate that Crumpler remains the top option in the red zone. Crumpler caught three or more passes in 11 games last year (56 receptions, 780 receiving yards). I expect bigger things in the passing game under Petrino as he works the Dunn-Norwood backfield, and Crumpler will no doubt be a main beneficiary.

10. L.J. Smith, Philadelphia Eagles

Smith missed parts of several games and the finale with injuries, so the theme of injury concerns among tight ends extends to this slot. I'm optimistic that this 6-foot-3 start from Rutgers will put those woes behind him and extend on an impressive 2006 season (50 receptions, 611 yards and five touchdowns). Smith caught four or more passes in seven different games and served as the team's top options during several stretches of the year. I'm most encouraged by his early involvement in the offense when Donovan McNabb was under center. Assuming McNabb is ready to roll, I expect Smith to push north to 70-80 receptions and 8-10 scores. Remember, Donte Stallworth is gone, leaving more red zone opportunities up for grabs.

Let's begin this round with the highly scrutinized top wideout in New York.

16. Plaxico Burress, New York Giants

His work ethic and "heart" were questioned last season, but it's hard for fans and fantasy owners to argue with the final numbers turned in by Burress in 2006. He narrowly missed recording his fourth career 1,000-yard season (988) and caught a career-high 10 touchdown passes.

This season will be most interesting for Burress and the Giants as they begin life without Tiki Barber in the backfield. More pressure (if that can happen in New York) will be placed on the right arm of Eli Manning, and he'll need Burress to stay healthy and focused if the Giants are to reach the playoffs again. He has a penchant for the big play, recording a catch of 20 or more yards in 11 different games (seven over 30 yards). While it's certain that the Giants will continue to exploit his severe height advantage over opposing cornerbacks downfield, I look for Burress to catch more quick outs at the line of scrimmage. That will help push his YPG north and eliminate the seven games under 60 receiving yards experienced in 2006.

17. Andre Johnson, Houston Texans

With a new quarterback under center in Matt Schaub and Ahman Green in the backfield, Johnson is part of a new dynamic offense in Houston. Johnson piled up 103 receptions last season in spite of the fact that the offensive line was once again a wreck, David Carr struggled and the running back position shuffled by the week. During a six-game stretch covering Weeks 3-9, Johnson caught eight or more passes.

I expect things to get better for Johnson in Gary Kubiak's second year. Johnson averaged 77.75 receptions in his first four seasons in a sputtering Houston offense.

18. Lee Evans, Buffalo Bills

Evans started slowly and finished with a flurry. He caught only one touchdown pass ahead of the Week 8 bye and was limited to fewer than 30 yards in three of those games. However, Evans has become a December dynamo in his three-year NFL career and scored in each of the final four weeks of the 2006 season (14 in 13 career December games).

The Bills will forge ahead with a new running back behind J.P. Losman with the departure of Willis McGahee. Marshawn Lynch will team with veteran Jauron favorite Anthony Thomas to set things up for the big play downfield. Evans caught five or more balls in 10 different games last year and will likely see more middle routes and quick hits in 2007 to better utilize his playmaking ability.

19. Darrell Jackson, San Francisco 49ers

In one of the more curious moves of draft weekend, Jackson was traded in-division to the rising 49ers. The move immediately boosts Alex Smith's fantasy fortunes and will serve to take some of the heat off of budding superstar Frank Gore. Jackson was a fantasy superstar last season when available. Unfortunately, he missed the all-important playoff weeks (15-17). Jackson scored a touchdown in nine of the 12 games in which he appeared.

The lone concern about Jackson's production is his injury history. He's missed three or more games in three of the last five seasons

20. Chris Chambers, Miami Dolphins

If Chris Chambers has a reliable quarterback throwing him the ball, he should prosper in Cam Cameron's system. (Eliot J. Schechter / Getty Images)

Do you just chalk the 2006 season up as a loss for Dolphins receiver Chris Chambers? Daunte Culpepper never found a rhythm before his injury, and backups Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon failed to play at a consistent level. Questions remain about Culpepper's return to come back from his devastating knee injury and the team drafted John Beck, so the trade for Trent Green that has long been dangling needs to happen.

Chambers was certainly intrigued by the opportunity to work with Culpepper, and he scored twice in the team's first four games. He would only score twice more on the season. Chambers is a durable receiver, having missed only two games in his career to injury and has caught seven or more touchdowns in four of his six NFL seasons (11 twice). New coach Cam Cameron's system has me encouraged that he can reach those heights again. It's just a matter of who is winging him the ball.

21. Laveranues Coles, New York Jets

Coles experienced a strong 2006 season with quarterback Chad Pennington finally participating in all 16 of the Jets' games. He opened the year with back-to-back 100-yard games and never looked back. Only in the final two weeks (unfortunately the fantasy playoffs) could fantasy owners find fault with Coles last year (four catches for 33 yards).

The team looks forward with the second year of the Eric Mangini regime and more consistency out of the running back position with Thomas Jones. Jones' ability to catch the ball out of the backfield should open more passing lanes for Coles with opposing linebackers needing to track him. The emergence of Jerricho Cotchery as a big play threat in his own right also serves the speedy veteran Coles well. Also of note is the fact that Coles has not missed a game since his rookie season.

22. Reggie Brown, Philadelphia Eagles

The departure of Terrell Owens left the top receiver slot open in Philadelphia coming into the 2006 season. Donte' Stallworth and Hank Baskett had their moments last year, but there's no doubt that the explosive second-year receiver from Georgia made the role his own with touchdowns in five of the first seven games. Stallworth's departure puts Brown front and central in Philadelphia this season.

Brown averaged 17.7 yards per reception last season, but the fact that he tallied three or fewer catches in nine games leaves owners slightly concerned, not to mention his injury troubles. I believe there's double-digit touchdown production ahead for Brown if he and Donovan McNabb can stay on the field for Andy Reid's squad.

23. Mark Clayton, Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens upgraded their backfield with the addition of Willis McGahee, whose breakaway speed combined with the efforts of one of the league's best defensive units will yield a number of short fields for Steve McNair. McGahee's entrée to Baltimore will keep opposing linebackers' attention and open things downfield for Clayton.

Clayton averaged 4.2 receptions and 65.2 yards per game following the Week 7 Bye and scored three touchdowns with three 100-yard efforts. I expect more of that type of production in Clayton's third NFL season with more work in Brian Billick's offense.

24. Santana Moss, Washington Redskins

Moss missed early mini-camp workouts with a groin injury, but it's presumed to be a precautionary move only. Washington fans and fantasy owners are hoping that he puts the issue behind him and returns to his 2005 form. As always, Moss contributed several explosive games (his 138-yard, three-TD game against Jacksonville was one of the season's best individual efforts). Unfortunately, his overall season was a disappointment (11 games with fewer than 70 receiving yards) and casts a shadow over his 2007 campaign.

I expect things to be more consistent in the Redskins offense this year with Jason Campbell under center for a full campaign. His arm strength will allow the team to take full advantage of Moss' speed downfield and work off of the damage created by Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts.

25. Terry Glenn, Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys have plenty of weapons on offense, and Terry Glenn can be expected to post solid numbers. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

Glenn exploded out of the gate with three touchdowns in his first three games, but saw his trips to the end disappear once Tony Romo took over for Drew Bledsoe. Although the touchdown pace slowed (three in the final 13 games), Glenn found his stride and contributed in the receptions and yardage columns down the stretch. He averaged 4.86 receptions in the seven games following his DNP in Week 10.

Romo will be ready to wing it in his first year as the starter in Dallas. The two-back system returns with Julius Jones and Marion Barber III and he'll contend with T.O. for looks, but there's no doubt that there are plenty of balls to go around in what should be a top-scoring offense.

26. Jerricho Cotchery, New York Jets

Consistency at the quarterback position after a rough 2005 season allows the Jets to turn things around immediately under Eric Mangini. Cotchery was one of the beneficiaries of the new attack, paying immediate dividends with six receptions in back-to-back games to open the season with scores in each.

Cotchery is a big play threat for Chad Pennington, having contributed receptions of 18 or more yards in 11 different games with six total touchdowns. Additionally, Cotchery can pile up receptions in a hurry, as evidenced by his 10 games with five or more receptions. The sky is the limit for Cotchery in his second season in Mangini's offense.

27. Vincent Jackson, San Diego Chargers

It took awhile for San Diego to fully utilize Jackson in the offense last year, as he recorded only seven receptions in the team's first nine games. Of course, the fact that LaDainian Tomlinson was running wild didn't help the receivers' respective causes.

As Cam Cameron opened up the offense more for Philip Rivers down the stretch, the 6-foot-5 Jackson stepped into a prime role. Jackson caught three or more passes in six of the team's final seven games with four touchdowns. The release of Keenan McCardell puts Jackson into the role of primary receiver this season with a number of other receivers in the mix. I expect more red zone opportunities for Jackson this year.

28. Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions

I met Johnson at the Reebok NFL Players Rookie Premiere this week and I came away with the impression that he's most intrigued of working in Mike Martz's offense this season opposite Roy Williams. Early reports from mini-camp have Johnson miles ahead of expectations in digesting the legendary Martz playbook. That's certainly news to the ears of fantasy owners looking for the rookie to make a huge impact out of the gate.

The additions of Tatum Bell and T.J. Duckett provide assistance for Jon Kitna while the team awaits the return of Kevin Jones. This offense may be one of the most explosive in the league should Kitna cut down on his turnover total from last year. This 6-foot-4 rookie will immediately make an impact as a No. 3 fantasy wideout.

29. Braylon Edwards, Cleveland Browns

The Browns upgraded their backfield by bringing Jamal Lewis in from Baltimore. Lewis, along with a healthier offensive line and the addition of Joe Thomas, should help give Charlie Frye or Brady Quinn (Frye emphatically stated his case for the role) more time to utilize his receiving options. Edwards produced three 100-yard games last season and had a stretch of seven games during which he caught hauled in five touchdown passes.

I suspect that Romeo Crennel will look to more effectively utilize Edwards this season, getting the ball into his hands with more short routes and quick hits. I anticipate a strong rise in his reception total with 8-10 touchdowns if this offense finds a rhythm.

30. Deion Branch, Seattle Seahawks

Branch assumes a larger role with the departure of Darrell Jackson for San Francisco. He registered 53 receptions in 14 games while averaging 13.7 yards per grab. Unfortunately, Branch failed to find the end zone in the final six games of the season.

The offensive line remains somewhat of a question as we roll toward camp, but it did appear to gel somewhat down the stretch. Their ability to get a push for Shaun Alexander will determine how quickly Mike Holmgren's team rebounds. Regardless, Branch will set a new career touchdown mark (his best is five in 2005) and appears likely to notch his first 1,000-yard year.

Shockey attends Giants' workout, defends past offseason regimen

Associated Press

Updated: June 8, 2007, 7:23 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Jeremy Shockey made a rare appearance at New York Giants' voluntary offseason workouts this week, but the four-time Pro Bowl tight end cautioned not to read too much into it.

"I'm glad I'm here and I enjoy it, but I hope people get used to it because next year it's going to be an issue again, and again the next year," he said.

Shockey, from Ada, Okla., has always taken the "voluntary" part of the Giants' offseason workout program to heart, and has been roundly criticized for following his own conditioning program at the University of Miami, where he played in 2000 and 2001.

This year, he decided to join the rest of the Giants, and on Friday responded to critics who have said he has placed his own priorities above the team's.

"It's a slap in my face that people don't think that I'm trying to do something that betters myself," Shockey said in a lengthy, mostly upbeat interview in front of his locker. "First things first. I have to improve myself if I'm going to improve this team. I'm not out drinking every night and going out. If I do, you'd better believe I'm working out the next day.

"As far as people questioning my character ... I play hurt, with broken bones, and I'm going to continue like that. It seems no matter what I do, it's not enough for people. I'm not here trying to make new friends, I'm here trying to help this team win."

The Shockey saga became an offseason distraction the last two years after both he and wide receiver Plaxico Burress passed up the team's workouts to train in Florida. Some viewed the move as an act of selfishness, and there were insinuations that their absence may have adversely affected their timing with quarterback Eli Manning.

Even Manning, who rarely says anything controversial about anybody, criticized the two for not being with the team.

Manning, who said he called Shockey last week to see if he was coming north, lauded Shockey's work with the team's other tight ends, a group that features no players with more than a year of NFL experience after the departure of backup Visanthe Shiancoe in March.

"It's been good having him back because he teaches them," Manning said. "He's great working around those guys, trying to get them in tune to everything that's going on, different scenarios. They get to watch him do it and see how it's done, so it's been good both ways."

Shockey downplayed the controversy and reiterated that the regimen he follows in Florida, which players such as former Hurricanes Santana Moss and Edgerrin James have also participated in, is more beneficial to him than the team's workouts.

"I work hard every year, and one way to do that is to work in a very intense, very hot environment like Miami," he said. "When I was getting flak for this thing it was 40 degrees and raining out and they were still working inside in the bubble. I'm not trying to change anybody's opinions. If people think I'm not doing this to help the team, so be it. I don't have to prove anything to anyone."

Shockey isn't even close to the most pressing concern on the offensive line for coach Tom Coughlin. He has yet to officially name a left tackle to replace veteran Luke Petitgout, who was released in the offseason.

David Diehl, normally a guard but a player who can play any of the positions on the line, shifted to left tackle when injuries forced the Giants to shuffle positions and is seen as the likely choice. New York is also looking at sixth-round draft choice Adam Koets and 2006 fourth-round pick Guy Whimper, and this week signed veteran lineman Zach Piller, formerly of Tennessee.

Coughlin said he would wait until training camp before he made a final decision.

"We will go into training camp working like we are right now, giving different people opportunities at different positions," he said. "That won't affect Diehl at all. You can put him in any kind of spot and after a period of time he'll be comfortable. There'll be a time to make the right decision, and I'll make it at that time."

Coughlin also said that fullback Jim Finn hasn't attended workouts because of a shoulder injury.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Giants' Finn faces lengthy rehab, will sit out entire season

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: June 13, 2007, 5:10 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

Starting fullback Jim Finn, whose importance to the New York Giants' was always more significant than the statistics he posted, will miss the entire 2007 season after the team placed the seven-year veteran on injured reserve on Wednesday.

Finn

Finn

The move, which leaves the team very thin at the position, came as the Giants began a mandatory three-day minicamp.

Finn, 30, underwent surgery on Monday to repair an injured shoulder labrum and now faces a lengthy rehabilitation. The injury, the latest in a long series of shoulder problems that Finn has experienced in his NFL career, occurred last month during an organized team activities (OTA) session.

New York actually attempted to replace Finn in the offseason when they signed Houston Texans' fullback Vonta Leach, a three-year veteran, to a restricted free agent offer sheet in mid-March. The Texans retained Leach, however, by matching the offer sheet, which was believed to be for about $8 million.

Given his age, injury history and diminished role in the offense, it is possible that Finn will not be back with the Giants in 2008. A solid contributor and strong locker room presence, Finn is under contract through 2009, but at modest base salaries.

In 106 appearances, including 45 starts, Finn has carried only 11times for 30 yards and has never scored a rushing touchdown. He has 60 receptions for 423 yards and one touchdown. But the former University of Pennsylvania standout, who spent three seasons in Indianapolis (2000-2002) before joining the Giants as a free agent in 2003, was a very good blocker and special teams player, and a veteran who understood his role.

The loss of Finn leaves New York with only one fullback, Robert Douglas, on its roster. Douglas has served time on the Tennessee and Houston practice squads, but has never appeared in a regular-season game.

Like most teams, the Giants don't use a fullback very often in their offense. But they will need to replace Finn's blocking and receiving skills, and may be forced to consider one of several free agent veteran fullbacks still looking for employment.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Coughlin tells Giants to stop griping

Associated Press, Updated 13 hours ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - After spending a maddening season listening to Jeremy Shockey, Tiki Barber, Plaxico Burress and others complain, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin isn't going to take it anymore.

Coughlin met with some players and spoke to the team on Wednesday about the need for the Giants to play more and talk less, especially when it comes to criticizing teammates and the coaching staff.

"Let's just play the game - talk is cheap - let's play the game," Coughlin said as the Giants opened a mandatory three-day minicamp. "I would like it to stay that way."

It certainly wasn't that way last season, as the Giants displayed a selfish nature in making the playoffs with an 8-8 record.

When things went right, they were fine. When things went wrong, they were willing to rip their coaches and teammates at the asking.

Shockey started it, saying the Giants were outplayed and outcoached in a 42-30 loss to Seattle early in the season. The Seahawks led 42-3 at one point.

Coughlin scolded Shockey after the outburst. The Giants won their next five games to reach the midway point at 6-2.

They went 2-6 in the second half as injuries to receiver Amani Toomer and defensive end Michael Strahan led to a major slide that got tongues wagging. The Giants had to win their final game to make the playoffs. The season ended the following week at Philadelphia.

"Last year we had a couple of heads who wouldn't leave certain situations alone," Pro Bowl linebacker Antonio Pierce said.

Pierce created his own controversy, knocking Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher and Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter before games.

Things only got worse as the season progressed.

Barber, who said the Giants were outcoached by former assistant John Fox in their 2005 playoff loss to Carolina, ripped offensive coordinator John Hufnagel for abandoning the running game too early in a loss at Jacksonville in early November.

Coughlin counseled Barber after the complaint.

A couple of weeks later, Strahan criticized Burress for giving up on a play after Pacman Jones made a crucial interception in an embarrassing loss to Tennessee. New York blew a 21-point fourth-quarter lead.

Burress, who said Coughlin didn't know how to take a joke in training camp, occasionally complained about not getting enough passes from Eli Manning.

"If it's not about football or this week's performance or this week's opponent, we don't need to talk about it," Pierce said. "That's what my approach will be this year. I want to go back to having fun playing football.

"I don't want to be hearing: 'Why is this teammate fighting? Why is he saying that?' This ain't high school. It's professional football. We don't need to do that."

Barber, who after the season said Coughlin's coaching style hastened his retirement, won't be a problem. The Giants' all-time leading rusher retired and is working with NBC as a correspondent for the "Today" show.

Barber did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment on Coughlin's desire to have the players talk less.

Shockey didn't speak to the media on Wednesday.

Strahan, who claims he is ready to be a dominant end again after recovering from a foot injury, agreed with Coughlin's approach.

"Complaining doesn't do anything," Strahan said. "When you lose and complain, it does nothing. When you brag, it does nothing. All that matters is how you play next week, and I like that. Shut up and play. You should be known more about how you play than how you talk."

Manning said all the talking distracted the team last season.

"It's harder here than most places, probably, but it's a matter of us being smart about what we are doing and what we are saying," Manning said. "You are going to be put in hard situations and asked hard questions, and you just have to stick to your roots and be careful about what you are saying."

Strahan confident he's the top DE

Associated Press, Updated 16 hours ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Coming off his second major injury in three years and entering his 15th season, Michael Strahan of the New York Giants still believes he is the NFL's best defensive end.

While that might sound boastful, the seven-time Pro Bowler didn't see it that way as the Giants conducted a three-day mandatory minicamp.

"I can still pop on the film and show you I am still the best at what I do," Strahan said. "I mean that's my opinion."

Strahan, who set the league's single-season sack record with 22 1/2 in 2001, has a lot to prove this season. He missed almost the entire second half of last season with a mid-foot sprain, and one has to wonder how much is left in the tank for a 35-year-old who's been an every-down fixture for most of his first 14 seasons.

"Coming back from the injury, I enjoy it because it's a challenge," Strahan said. "After so many years, you kind of lose out on challenges. This is a challenge to myself, like when I came off the pec (pectoral) injury. Can I come back and play at 250 pounds?

"Now the challenge is can I come back and play on a bad foot, 15 years into it, and still try to be a Pro Bowl-type, All-Pro player. That's my own personal challenge, my own motivating factor."

Coach Tom Coughlin isn't going to push Strahan for answers right now. During the minicamp at Giants Stadium, the veteran either went through conditioning drills with the training staff or stood with the defensive players and watched team drills.

The one thing that was obvious was that he was having fun being around the guys, most of whom are at least 10 years younger.

Even Strahan realizes their interests are different: When the new guys talk about shoes, it's not the kind a person wears on the feet. It's the wheels on their cars.

Strahan laughs and shakes his head, thinking about his new generation gap. His voice is serious when it comes to football.

"As long as I feel good, as long as I feel like I can contribute and they want me around, I will keep going," Strahan said Wednesday. "You love the competition of it, the camaraderie of it. Once I don't enjoy that and I can't contribute, it's time to pack it up."

Strahan doesn't see that now.

Before being hurt against Houston in the eighth game of the season, Strahan said teams still had to double- and triple-team him in passing situations. He said his play against the run was second to none.

"Guys who have been here 14 or 15 years, they sit you on the bench and tell you to watch the young guy and tell him what he is doing wrong," Strahan said. "For me, I still get treated out on the field with the same respect, the way I was treated five or 10 years ago. Now my goal is to make them do what they used to do, double-team me and challenge me."

Strahan noted that when he missed half of the 2004 season with a chest injury, he returned the following season and had 11 1/2 sacks in helping the Giants win the NFC East. It earned him another Pro Bowl berth.

The foot injury this time isn't a concern, Strahan said. He returned late last season against New Orleans and aggravated the sprain in his right foot, blaming it on trying to do too much in his first game back.

Coughlin is going to limit Strahan to one practice during training camp. Strahan loves that idea, noting that he hates practices and lives for the games.

"For me, I love the competition of it, to be out on the field looking at a guy who is bigger than me, knowing I need to beat him to accomplish what I want to do," Strahan said. "That's the challenge that I like. I still have that fight in me. If I didn't, it would be time to pack it up."

The Hashmarks Friday Game Plan

June 15, 2007 8:35 AM

Beginning at 11 a.m. ET, we'll be doing live "look-ins" (TV term) during the final day of Giants minicamp. Since I still haven't found a suitable replacement for the Razr (8525 anyone?), I'll be text messaging Editor Banks approximately 14 words at a time.

We'll provide a much longer and perhaps more coherent report later in the afternoon. But before I begin my journey to Giants Stadium, let's take a look at at what's happened during the first two days of minicamp:

* It looks like journeyman fullback Robert Douglas will have every opportunity to replace veteran Jim Finn, who is out for the season with a shoulder injury. Since entering the league as a free-agent rookie in 2005, Douglas has been with four different teams. He's expecting the Giants to bring in some competition, but it's his job to lose. After playing linebacker a Memphis, the 6-1, 230-pound was moved to fullback, where he helped clear the way for a huge senior season for DeAngelo Williams.

* New defensive coordinator Steve Spagnulo is receiving rave reviews from a group of players that really struggled last season. I'm told the defense is breaking huddles with "loud claps," which has to be a good sign. You don't want to break a huddle with a golf clap. And while we're on the subject, would someone please monitor the U.S. Open for me today?

* You may have read where veteran defensive end Michael Strahan said he still considers himself one of the best in the league, but in this story, he talks about nearing the end of his career. Strahan has now been on teams with former Giants linebacker Steve DeOsssie and his 23-year-old son, Zak DeOssie.

Michael Strahan, Robert Douglas, Steve Spagnulo, DeAngelo Wlliams

Read comments or leave a comment

The post-Tiki era

June 15, 2007 8:15 AM

My pal Clifton Brown says that Brandon Jacobs is ready to carry the load now that Tiki's gone. Cliff, if you're reading this (and I know you are), I need you to stop by Giants Stadium tomorrow.

Brandon Jacobs

Read comments or leave a comment

Pressure's on Manning, off Pennington

Paolantonio

By Sal Paolantonio

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: June 18, 2007, 3:42 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It was a strange scene. Eli Manning, taking the snap, pivoting on his right foot, offered the football to a running back not wearing No. 21 at the New York Giants' first mandatory minicamp. Gone was veteran Tiki Barber, Manning's "security blanket," as veteran receiver Amani Toomer put it.

The next morning, across the Hudson River at New York Jets minicamp in Hempstead, the snapshot was just as odd. With veteran running back Curtis Martin out of the picture, quarterback Chad Pennington handed the ball to the steal of the NFL offseason: former Chicago Bears running back Thomas Jones.

The big difference? Pennington was clearly a bit more secure with the change. "He's a special player, and I think he's going to take a lot of pressure off all of us," said Pennington.

This is a simple tale of two football teams in one town, both trying to replace a legend at a critical position -- at a time when they seem to be moving in opposite directions.

For the Giants, who sneaked into the 2006 playoffs based largely on Barber's last-minute heroics, the task for his replacements -- Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns -- is enormous. Barber's absence has created an unprecedented situation for Manning, who more than any other player on the team will be expected to pick up the slack. The void is huge; in 2006, Barber rushed for 1,662 yards. No team in NFL history has had a player run for 1,600 or more yards and then lost that player the following season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Thomas Jones led the Bears in rushing for three straight seasons.

For the Jets, who gave rookie head coach Eric Mangini an improbable playoff berth last year, the gift of getting Jones is just as historic. Jones led the Bears with 1,210 yards rushing last season -- thus making him the first player to gain 1,000-plus yards rushing for a Super Bowl team and then start the following season on another team.

Last week, while Mangini had his staff blast overmodulated music onto the practice field -- everything from classical Baroque to old-school rap -- Jones was flexing his biceps, which look like two softballs bulging under his skin, and a big smile, which tells a story of liberation and opportunity.

Gone from the shadow of Cedric Benson in Chicago, Jones was given a five-year, $20 million contract by the Jets to be the next big thing in the Big Apple.

"This offense was made for me," said Jones. "It's creative, but it will give me a chance to show what I can do if they want to put the load on me." Translation: Jones fits the Mangini mold to a T.

One of seven children from a family deeply rooted in the coal-mining tradition of southwestern Virginia, Jones has led by example, putting in three-a-day workouts at the Jets facility this offseason.

"His leadership is infectious," said Mangini. "You can see that the younger guys are watching what he does and trying to keep up with him."

With Jones and second-year back Leon Washington of Florida State -- who showed flashes of what the coaches call "missability" last season -- the Jets expect to have a nice change-of-pace look to a running attack that lacked punch in 2006, when the team had a strangely unprepared approach to Martin's looming unavailability. As a result, the Jets averaged 3.5 yards a carry last season, finishing 30th in the league.

The Jets traded for Jones knowing that their fragile quarterback has just finished the first full 16-game season of his career. Mangini's hope is that Jones' presence will help keep Pennington whole for an unprecedented second straight year and duplicate the two-back approach that gave last year's final four playoff teams such success.

The Giants' two-back approach to replacing Barber has a bit of a different feel. The mammoth Jacobs, in his third season, has made it clear he wants to be Barber's heir apparent. But in his first two seasons, Jacobs had just 38 and 96 carries respectively, with only 11 receptions last year for 149 yards.

The latter number was a nice day at the office for Barber, who had 50.9 percent of the Giants' touches from scrimmage in 2006. Barber was one of only five backs in the league to have at least half of his teams' touches last year, and all the others are returning to their teams.

To help Jacobs shoulder the load, the Giants acquired the veteran Droughns, who has proved in Denver and Cleveland that he can be a feature back -- but not as a threat in the passing game. Droughns has never had more than 39 receptions in a season. Barber was under 39 catches just once his 10-year career -- in 1997, his rookie year, when he had 34.

Of course, the impact of all this will be felt most by one player: Manning. Losing his outlet, his comfort pass, his crutch, Manning is entering his fourth season with all eyes on him. In reality, it's not Jacobs and Droughns who will pass or fail this can-we-live-without-Tiki test. It's Manning, and he knows it.

"I know I will have to step up -- we all will on offense, there's no question about that," said Manning, who failed to crack the 60 percent completion mark in his first three seasons. Last year, Manning was sixth in the league in pass attempts but finished 21st in completion percentage (57.7).

This offense was made for me. It's creative, but it will give me a chance to show what I can do if they want to put the load on me.

Barber notwithstanding, the Giants' fortunes reflect Manning's performance. Look at last season. The Giants started 6-2. They were entrenched in first place. And Manning was hot: a passer rating of 87.5, completion rate hovering at 61 percent. The second half of the season, the Giants flipped, going 2-6. And in the final eight games, Manning's performance plummeted. His passer rating was just 66.5 with a 54 percent completion rate.

This will be the big question facing the Giants: Will Manning wither in the spotlight?

So far, at least, head coach Tom Coughlin says he is pleased by what he's seen this offseason from Manning -- the attendance in the offseason program, the discipline in the meeting rooms. Of course, Coughlin, who was given a one-year reprieve after last year's collapse, has no choice but to tie his future to Manning, who is being schooled daily by quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

And on the first day of mandatory minicamp, Coughlin issued an ultimatum to his team: He wants a lot less chatter to the outside world -- a not-so-veiled reference to Barber's often critical, always outspoken availability to the New York press, and a philosophy well-suited for the polite, soft-spoken Manning.

Ironically, if the Giants get a decent year of out Manning and his two new running backs, they could be in good shape in the NFC East, where every team has nagging questions at quarterback. The Redskins and Cowboys still don't know what they have in Jason Campbell and Tony Romo. And the Eagles are holding their breath that Donovan McNabb's surgically repaired knee holds up through training camp.

Given those unknowns in his division, Coughlin won't have many excuses if the Giants don't contend for the division title. He's like Joe Torre with the Yankees this season: Get it done now.

Out on Long Island, Mangini's job status feels a lot like Willie Randolph's with the Mets -- less tenuous but with an added twist. Mangini is trying to catch his old boss in New England. With few in disagreement about Bill Belichick's spectacular offseason, the Patriots will be difficult to dethrone in the AFC East.

The Jets defeated the Pats once last year, but it had the same effect as poking a large beast with a stick. New England woke up and got revenge when it counted, with a 37-16 drubbing in the first round of the playoffs. Lest we forget, the Jets could not run the ball in that game. Washington finished with 50 yards on 11 carries. The team's second-leading rusher that day? Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery: two carries, 19 yards. Mangini learned his lesson.

As for Jones, he doesn't sound like a guy who's focused on facing the Patriots twice a year. Of course, that's Mangini's job. But perhaps Jones knows that it could be worse. He could be on the other side of the Hudson trying to imitate Tiki Barber.

"I love New York," said Jones. "What's not to love?"

Sal Paolantonio covers the NFL for ESPN.

Pressure's on Manning, off Pennington

Paolantonio

By Sal Paolantonio

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: June 18, 2007, 3:42 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It was a strange scene. Eli Manning, taking the snap, pivoting on his right foot, offered the football to a running back not wearing No. 21 at the New York Giants' first mandatory minicamp. Gone was veteran Tiki Barber, Manning's "security blanket," as veteran receiver Amani Toomer put it.

The next morning, across the Hudson River at New York Jets minicamp in Hempstead, the snapshot was just as odd. With veteran running back Curtis Martin out of the picture, quarterback Chad Pennington handed the ball to the steal of the NFL offseason: former Chicago Bears running back Thomas Jones.

The big difference? Pennington was clearly a bit more secure with the change. "He's a special player, and I think he's going to take a lot of pressure off all of us," said Pennington.

This is a simple tale of two football teams in one town, both trying to replace a legend at a critical position -- at a time when they seem to be moving in opposite directions.

For the Giants, who sneaked into the 2006 playoffs based largely on Barber's last-minute heroics, the task for his replacements -- Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns -- is enormous. Barber's absence has created an unprecedented situation for Manning, who more than any other player on the team will be expected to pick up the slack. The void is huge; in 2006, Barber rushed for 1,662 yards. No team in NFL history has had a player run for 1,600 or more yards and then lost that player the following season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Thomas Jones led the Bears in rushing for three straight seasons.

For the Jets, who gave rookie head coach Eric Mangini an improbable playoff berth last year, the gift of getting Jones is just as historic. Jones led the Bears with 1,210 yards rushing last season -- thus making him the first player to gain 1,000-plus yards rushing for a Super Bowl team and then start the following season on another team.

Last week, while Mangini had his staff blast overmodulated music onto the practice field -- everything from classical Baroque to old-school rap -- Jones was flexing his biceps, which look like two softballs bulging under his skin, and a big smile, which tells a story of liberation and opportunity.

Gone from the shadow of Cedric Benson in Chicago, Jones was given a five-year, $20 million contract by the Jets to be the next big thing in the Big Apple.

"This offense was made for me," said Jones. "It's creative, but it will give me a chance to show what I can do if they want to put the load on me." Translation: Jones fits the Mangini mold to a T.

One of seven children from a family deeply rooted in the coal-mining tradition of southwestern Virginia, Jones has led by example, putting in three-a-day workouts at the Jets facility this offseason.

"His leadership is infectious," said Mangini. "You can see that the younger guys are watching what he does and trying to keep up with him."

With Jones and second-year back Leon Washington of Florida State -- who showed flashes of what the coaches call "missability" last season -- the Jets expect to have a nice change-of-pace look to a running attack that lacked punch in 2006, when the team had a strangely unprepared approach to Martin's looming unavailability. As a result, the Jets averaged 3.5 yards a carry last season, finishing 30th in the league.

The Jets traded for Jones knowing that their fragile quarterback has just finished the first full 16-game season of his career. Mangini's hope is that Jones' presence will help keep Pennington whole for an unprecedented second straight year and duplicate the two-back approach that gave last year's final four playoff teams such success.

The Giants' two-back approach to replacing Barber has a bit of a different feel. The mammoth Jacobs, in his third season, has made it clear he wants to be Barber's heir apparent. But in his first two seasons, Jacobs had just 38 and 96 carries respectively, with only 11 receptions last year for 149 yards.

The latter number was a nice day at the office for Barber, who had 50.9 percent of the Giants' touches from scrimmage in 2006. Barber was one of only five backs in the league to have at least half of his teams' touches last year, and all the others are returning to their teams.

To help Jacobs shoulder the load, the Giants acquired the veteran Droughns, who has proved in Denver and Cleveland that he can be a feature back -- but not as a threat in the passing game. Droughns has never had more than 39 receptions in a season. Barber was under 39 catches just once his 10-year career -- in 1997, his rookie year, when he had 34.

Of course, the impact of all this will be felt most by one player: Manning. Losing his outlet, his comfort pass, his crutch, Manning is entering his fourth season with all eyes on him. In reality, it's not Jacobs and Droughns who will pass or fail this can-we-live-without-Tiki test. It's Manning, and he knows it.

"I know I will have to step up -- we all will on offense, there's no question about that," said Manning, who failed to crack the 60 percent completion mark in his first three seasons. Last year, Manning was sixth in the league in pass attempts but finished 21st in completion percentage (57.7).

This offense was made for me. It's creative, but it will give me a chance to show what I can do if they want to put the load on me.

Barber notwithstanding, the Giants' fortunes reflect Manning's performance. Look at last season. The Giants started 6-2. They were entrenched in first place. And Manning was hot: a passer rating of 87.5, completion rate hovering at 61 percent. The second half of the season, the Giants flipped, going 2-6. And in the final eight games, Manning's performance plummeted. His passer rating was just 66.5 with a 54 percent completion rate.

This will be the big question facing the Giants: Will Manning wither in the spotlight?

So far, at least, head coach Tom Coughlin says he is pleased by what he's seen this offseason from Manning -- the attendance in the offseason program, the discipline in the meeting rooms. Of course, Coughlin, who was given a one-year reprieve after last year's collapse, has no choice but to tie his future to Manning, who is being schooled daily by quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

And on the first day of mandatory minicamp, Coughlin issued an ultimatum to his team: He wants a lot less chatter to the outside world -- a not-so-veiled reference to Barber's often critical, always outspoken availability to the New York press, and a philosophy well-suited for the polite, soft-spoken Manning.

Ironically, if the Giants get a decent year of out Manning and his two new running backs, they could be in good shape in the NFC East, where every team has nagging questions at quarterback. The Redskins and Cowboys still don't know what they have in Jason Campbell and Tony Romo. And the Eagles are holding their breath that Donovan McNabb's surgically repaired knee holds up through training camp.

Given those unknowns in his division, Coughlin won't have many excuses if the Giants don't contend for the division title. He's like Joe Torre with the Yankees this season: Get it done now.

Out on Long Island, Mangini's job status feels a lot like Willie Randolph's with the Mets -- less tenuous but with an added twist. Mangini is trying to catch his old boss in New England. With few in disagreement about Bill Belichick's spectacular offseason, the Patriots will be difficult to dethrone in the AFC East.

The Jets defeated the Pats once last year, but it had the same effect as poking a large beast with a stick. New England woke up and got revenge when it counted, with a 37-16 drubbing in the first round of the playoffs. Lest we forget, the Jets could not run the ball in that game. Washington finished with 50 yards on 11 carries. The team's second-leading rusher that day? Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery: two carries, 19 yards. Mangini learned his lesson.

As for Jones, he doesn't sound like a guy who's focused on facing the Patriots twice a year. Of course, that's Mangini's job. But perhaps Jones knows that it could be worse. He could be on the other side of the Hudson trying to imitate Tiki Barber.

"I love New York," said Jones. "What's not to love?"

Sal Paolantonio covers the NFL for ESPN.

Team Report: Inside Slant

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel

A stray body slam from veteran center Shaun O'Hara, who put rookie defensive tackle Jay Alford on his seating apparatus during a recent minicamp workout, has reportedly led to an "investigation" by the NFL Players Association.

The NFLPA stands behind the so-called "Minicamp No Contact" rule and reacts positively to any report of such a violation.

Unnecessary contact in the off-season is strictly prohibited, and should the situation be determined as intentional, the Giants could face a loss of workout days (rather difficult, since their true off-season has begun and players won't gather again until July 27 in training camp). A second so-called violation might result in the potential loss of a draft pick or picks.

Does this seem flagrant? Yes, it certainly does. But the rules that govern the Collective Bargaining Agreement are stern and written into the copy that both sides have in their possession.

Head coach Tom Coughlin said he spoke with O'Hara, and agreed that sometimes things "get a little out of control," adding that it is no one's wish that players get hurt in off-season practices.

Dick Berthelsen, lead attorney for the NFLPA, indicated that he was made aware of the report and that the union will investigate. "If we are informed of illegal contact," he said, "we can request the practice tapes from practice and we review them."

Similar complaints have been registered in the recent past concerning the Giants, basically when players complained to the union that Coughlin was working them too hard or working them for too many days. In other words, anything more than the allotted number of workouts, mainly called OTAs (Organized Training Activities), is enough to draw a foul.

In older times, a veteran slapping down a rookie was standard (and accepted) practice, falling under the heading of: "Welcome to the NFL, kid."

New York Giants

I must admit that the Giants' off-season has been relatively free of stress. But that's relative to last season, when there was quite a roll call of players throwing coach Tom Coughlin under a downhill bus.

Ownership responded by keeping Coughlin around for another year.

Foremost among the missing is running back Tiki Barber, whose criticism of Coughlin will serve him well after Barber rises from field news reporter to in-studio talking head.

Without Tiki to hand the ball off to, Eli Manning faces considerable pressure in his third season as the starting quarterback. Existing as Peyton's kid brother is challenge enough, but working in a city with so many news outlets that never look for a positive spin can be very stressful.

There also is pressure on first-year coordinator Steve Spagnuolo to improve a defense that ranked last in the NFL for red-zone stinginess.

However, any talk of Giant pressure begins and ends with Coughlin. In addition to feeling pressure to win or get fired, Tom never has been accused of lowering the stress level of his players.

Coughlin is the kind of guy who appreciates a pizza that arrives on time, but refuses to tip the delivery boy if he's not five minutes early.

32 Questions: New York Giants

Daube

By Ken Daube

Special to ESPN.com

Thirty-two teams, 32 burning fantasy questions. Thoughout the preseason, we put one of these questions to an ESPN.com analyst for an in-depth look at the most interesting, perplexing or dumbfounding fantasy facet of each NFL team.

How will the Giants replace Tiki Barber's production, both on the ground and through the air?

It seems like a straightforward question, but the explanation involves the domino theory, so the answer is convoluted.

Simply put, there were three main points of impact that Barber had for the New York Giants: first as a runner, second as a receiver and third as a blocker. In two of the three cases, the downgrade from Barber to the current options is significant.

How the Giants attempt to replace Barber as a runner:

By acquiring Reuben Droughns, the Giants announced to the world that they aren't completely sold on Brandon Jacobs being an every-down back. It was a wise decision to get Jacobs help, as through his brief career he has managed a paltry 3.9 yards per carry. Droughns, best known as a product of the Mike Shanahan line of running backs, doesn't provide a real upgrade from Jacobs, since he's also averaged 3.9 yards per carry during his career.

Barber averaged 5.2 yards per carry over the last two seasons. The difference between the combination of Droughns and Jacobs and the borderline Hall of Famer will mean the Giants will need to lean more heavily on the inconsistent arm of Eli Manning. This is important, as the downturn in rushing production will lead to more third-down and long-yardage situations than the Giants saw during the Barber Era.

During occasions when the Giants are fortunate enough to get into short-yardage situations on third down, the loss of Barber will continue to be pronounced. Over the past two years, Barber converted 77 percent of short-yardage, third-down situations into first downs. During the same time, the bigger and supposedly more powerful Jacobs converted only 63 percent of similar opportunities. Droughns was even worse, gaining a new set of downs just 52 percent of the time. Any way you cut it, rushing production is set to drop significantly due to the loss of Barber.

How the Giants attempt to replace Barber as a receiver:

The main thing to take into consideration here is not Barber's actual receiving production, but rather the number of targets he received: 76 targets per season over the last two years. Those passes likely still will be thrown on short to medium-range routes, which place the primary candidates as: Droughns, Jacobs, Jeremy Shockey, Amani Toomer and whomever fills the vacant fullback slot caused (Jim Finn is already out for the season). Assuming Droughns and Jacobs split all halfback responsibilities, the allocation of those 76 targets could be split in the following manner: 22 each to Droughns and Jacobs, 11 each for Shockey and the fullback to be determined and the remainder to Toomer. Obviously, those are approximations, but the end result from the disbursement of those targets is a slight bump in fantasy value for Shockey, who likely was overvalued anyway, but no bump for any of the other mentioned players.

Domino affects of the loss of Barber:

Based on the downgrade in the rushing game, Manning will be forced to throw more often to move the Giants down the field. Manning has been erratic over his career, and this strategy is unlikely to spell success for the Giants. Making Manning's job even tougher is that Barber was one of the better halfbacks when it came to picking up the blitz, something neither Droughns nor Jacobs does particularly well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that additional pressure on a quarterback who already has problems with his accuracy is not a formula for success.

Final outlook:

Look for the Giants to struggle early and often. If you believe in Jacobs, you really need to reassess why. He didn't put up respectable numbers as a change-of-pace back behind a potential Hall of Famer, and there's no reason to expect that he can improve regardless of the opportunity presented to him. Droughns wouldn't be on your fantasy radar except for one good season in the Shanahan system. The Giants won't be moving to a zone-blocking scheme any time soon, so Droughns will be as useless this year as he was last. Let someone else waste picks on the duds, and use your selections to draft someone who actually might produce good fantasy numbers this season.

Ken Daube is a fantasy football analyst for TalentedMrRoto.com and ESPN.com. He can be reached at KenDaube@TalentedMrRoto.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Manning lobs barb at Barber

BY MATT GAGNE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Manning

Eli Manning

* Read Ralph Vacchiano's The Blue Screen blog

Eli Manning has been criticized for not being enough of a vocal leader during his three seasons with the Giants. Yesterday, however, the usually soft-spoken quarterback didn't hold back when asked about what he thought life would be like without newly retired running back Tiki Barber. "I don't think we're concerned," Manning said. "We're excited by the players that we have who wanted to return for this season, and who wanted to be a part of the Giants and play."

Barber, who will be a correspondent this fall for NBC, had a sometimes contentious relationship with coach Tom Coughlin over the past two years. And when word of Barber's retirement leaked out during last season, many in the media questioned Barber's dedication to the team. Manning's parting shot, however, is the first time a teammate has openly criticized the Giants' all-time leading rusher.

Manning was at Grand Central Terminal yesterday, competing in a putting contest as part of a promotion for next week's Women's World Match Play Championship at Wykagyl Country Club in New Rochelle. Despite any lingering hard feelings, the fourth-year QB said he was looking forward to filling the leadership void left by Barber.

"You lose Tiki and someone has to step into the role of leader on offense, and I'm excited about the opportunity," he said. "You want to be a leader, even when things are going good or going bad. I want to be the guy to step up, make plays and lead the team."

Manning is 20-19 with Big Blue and 0-2 in the playoffs. Last season, when the Giants went 8-8, he threw for 3,244 yards with 24 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. "As far as leadership," Manning said, "it's something you earn, the respect of your teammates. You play well, prepare for every game and when things get tough . . . you step up."

Asked if thought he had already earned that respect, Manning added: "I think so. We've won enough games, they know how I prepare, how I work and study and get mentally ready."