Giants contend they'll contend

BY GARY MYERS

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 15th 2007, 10:42 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

* Read Ralph Vacchiano's The Blue Screen

ALBANY - The Giants are one of only five teams to make the playoffs the last two years, but the buzz has begun that this is going to be a difficult transition year for them without Tiki Barber and perhaps without Michael Strahan, two of the best players in the history of the franchise.

And with the Eagles emerging as a trendy pick to not only win the NFC East but get to the Super Bowl, there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for the Giants - except in their own locker room, where they think a division title is realistic.

"I don't see why not," linebacker Antonio Pierce said yesterday. "I don't see anybody in our division that is that strong that looks unbeatable. I don't see that."

Asked what he would say to anybody predicting that this could be a 6-10 season, defensive end Osi Umenyiora smiled.

"I'd say they should predict 3-13. That would make me even happier," he said. "All that stuff doesn't mean anything. We haven't played one game yet. I think we'll be a great team."

The Giants are spending their summer searching for a new identity and personality. "That happens every 10 years," Pierce said. "Every 10 years there is a new era and somebody else has to step up. Obviously that's a transition that we are in."

Barber became such a dynamic weapon the last three years that he always gave the Giants a chance to win. And their record when they have had Strahan on the field the last three years is so far superior to their results when he has been hurt that Justin Tuck, who has emerged as the favorite to take over at left end if Strahan retires, must quickly develop opposite Umenyiora.

Consider with Strahan playing, the Giants were 22-11 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs during the first three years under Tom Coughlin. And they are 3-12 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs in the games he has missed during that time.

"There's no doubt about the way those two players performed on the field," Coughlin said of Strahan and Barber. "Tiki's last three years were exceptional. Michael's years when I've been here, when he's been healthy, they've been exceptional. So you don't take players like that out of the lineup without some type of adjustment, but you move forward, you move on."

The Eagles were 5-1 down the stretch with Jeff Garcia last year and now they have Donovan McNabb back. Bill Parcells left the Cowboys with a lot of talent, and now we'll find out if the players respond to the laid-back approach of Wade Phillips, who has already been having discipline problems on his team. And maybe this is the year Washington's Joe Gibbs shows why he is in the Hall of Fame.

Pierce doesn't subscribe to all the Eagles talk. "Why would they be much better than us?" he said. "They have injuries they are dealing with. The quarterback is coming off an injury. Every team in the NFL is dealing with problems. We're dealing with guys not here. The Cowboys have a new head coach. They have a new offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, the same problems we have. Washington has got injuries. We're just dealing with our own problems and that's all we're worried about."

Plaxico Burress didn't seem too concerned yesterday about how the Giants were going to make up for Barber's yards. "We are going to miss some of the things he does," he said. "I don't think a lot of people are giving Brandon (Jacobs) a lot of credit. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people. I think he's a 1,500-yard back. He's going to be pounding the ball in there."

The Giants will need every one of those yards to get to the playoffs again.

Strahan has been fined more than $300,000

Associated Press, Updated 16 hours ago

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese hasn't talked to holdout defensive end Michael Strahan in a while and has no clue when the seven-time Pro Bowl player will make a decision on whether to retire.

"We would like for him to be here if he's going to be here, just for him to get some work," Reese said Thursday at training camp at the University at Albany. "Michael knows that if he's going to come back, he has to get some work in. You just can't show up and play in the National Football League.

"If he decides to come, I think he will be here soon, but it's still his decision and we'll see what happens in the next few days."

The Giants are fining the 35-year-old Strahan $14,288 for each day he misses. His three-week total is now $300,048.

Reese used the word "deadline" several times in discussing the holdout, but the Giants can't do anything to hasten Strahan's decision. They can either fine him or release him, and they are not going to do the latter.

Reese believes Strahan is working out, but said that won't replace training camp in getting a player ready for the season.

"We just worry about the guys who are here day by day," Reese said. "It's Michael's decision whether or not to be here. He's still pondering, and he deserves the right to do that, so that's what he's doing."

Giants co-owner John Mara said Thursday that he still believes Strahan will play this season.

Demps off to strong start in making a Giant improvement

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Banished to the second team after a rough debut season with the Giants, Will Demps played like a man on a mission Saturday night. He showed impressive speed, delivered hard hits and didn't miss any big tackles.

In the Giants' preseason opener, the safety was everything he was supposed to be last year. "That's the Will Demps they couldn't get last year," Demps said before practice yesterday at the University at Albany. "I feel like there's no hesitation in my game anymore. Just from the first preseason game they can kind of see what Will Demps really is. Now they can say, 'That's the guy. Wow.'"

That's a big change for the 27-year-old Demps, whose only "wow" moments last season were bad ones. The lingering memories of his first season with the Giants are of him flailing at Thomas Jones on his game-altering, 26-yard draw play that sparked the Chicago Bears' comeback, and of Demps whiffing on Vince Young on his fourth-and-10 dash on the Titans' game-tying drive.

Plays such as those were not what the Giants expected when they lured Demps away from Baltimore with a five-year, $12million contract.

Demps blames his struggles on a left knee that wasn't fully recovered from offseason ACL surgery. A year later, Demps insists his knee is fully healthy and "I'm in one of the best shapes of my life." That's made a huge and obvious difference on the field. "It's hard for people to understand, you try to get back as fast as you can, then you get to that point where you feel good and in your mind things you're doing well, but you're not," Demps said. "I don't want to use that as an excuse. But there's some plays (last year) I felt like I could've done better if I had that conditioning that I have now."

Demps has the added motivation of being relegated to the second team behind James Butler since minicamp in June. He was back with the starters for a few drills on Tuesday, but Tom Coughlin said he's still part of an "in and out" rotation.

It's possible Demps' demotion was a motivational ploy by Coughlin. If it was, Demps insisted it was a ploy he didn't need. "I don't need no motivation or a demotion or anything," Demps said. "I came in this league as the undrafted eighth safety on one of the best defenses in the league. My whole career, nothing's ever been given to me. I've had to prove myself. So to put me on the 2s to motivate me? I'm going to keep myself motivated."

He looked plenty motivated Saturday night when he made three impressive plays in his limited action. He had a huge block on Derrick Ward's 67-yard kickoff return in the first quarter. He had a fierce blitz on a third-and-6 in the second quarter and sacked Panthers QB David Carr for a 13-yard loss. One drive later, he got up to the line of scrimmage and combined with Mathias Kiwanuka to tackle running back Nick Goings for a 1-yard loss.

With the first-team defense looking awful, it's no wonder that after plays such as that one Demps was back with the starters at the next practice. That's a place Demps always expected to be.

"There was no me going to the media saying, 'Why this? Why me? Why is this happening?'" Demps said. "I just knew that no matter what, as long as you're on the field making plays, the cream always rises to the top."

Ten days to get it Wright

Troubled DT and Giants say 'now or never'

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 17th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Manuel Wright has 10 days to get into shape and prove to the Giants that he belongs in the NFL. If he doesn't, he knows his third stop in the league could end up being his last.

This time he believes things will be different. And he has a good reason why.

"Well, I've actually been training," Wright said yesterday after the Giants' morning practice. "A lot of guys do it, but in the past four years I had just been, 'Whatever, get up and go play.' I actually put in my time and I feel that it should pay off this time."

Consider that a big leap forward for the 23-year-old defensive tackle, who signed with the Giants on Wednesday afternoon. He was hardly in great shape during his one troubled season with the Miami Dolphins in 2005, and he had ballooned to 365 pounds by the time he was a Buffalo Bill for one week in May.

Now, 3-1/2 months later, the 6-foot-5 Wright says he's down to a hefty 340, with plans to drop another 5-10 pounds. He also said the personal problems that led to his infamous breakdown on the field during the Dolphins' 2005 training camp and caused him to sit out the '06 season are also behind him.

He's ready to prove he's a whole new man.

"I mean, everybody has their opinion about me, but I'm going to prove a lot of people wrong by playing real good and contributing to the team," the former USC Trojan said. "I don't feel it's my last chance, but I feel like it's getting towards that. It's either now or never."

Most opinions about Wright stem from the incident during his rookie season when he was caught on camera crying after then-Dolphins coach Nick Saban chewed him out. He ended up playing only three games that season, recording four tackles and one sack, and then sat out the next year because he was reportedly suffering from depression.

Wright said those reports weren't accurate, but admitted, "I had a lot going on. I was only 22 and it just overwhelmed me. I'm better now. I got my head on straight. Basically I was going through the transition of being a man and I feel like I'm pretty much there right now."

The Giants are understandably skeptical. Both Tom Coughlin and GM Jerry Reese said they are aware of all the issues surrounding the Dolphins' fifth-round pick in the 2005 supplemental draft. But after watching the performance of the Giants' defensive line last Saturday night, they also know they need some meat in the middle.

So, knowing that they are likely to make their first round of cuts right after next Saturday's preseason game against the Jets (Aug. 28 is the first cut deadline), they thought they'd give Wright a brief chance.

"His history is what it is," Reese said. "He's a talented kid. He knows his chances are running out. He wants to prove some people wrong. So we're going to give him 10 days to do that."

Reese said Wright is "not in great shape," but showed "athletic flashes" in his workout. Wright said, "This is the best (shape) I've been in a long time" - a result of the two workouts per day he's been doing since the Bills cut him on May 10, just one week after claiming him off waivers.

"I was only there four days and they were like, 'Oh, he's too big,'" Wright said. "That hit me like, 'I can't rely on my talent like that.' I figured I had to get in better shape.

"I feel like either it's going to happen now or I'm going to lose my opportunity."

Ex-Giant charged in break-in

Saturday, August 18th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

FLINT, Mich. - Former Giants receiver Mark Ingram is accused of breaking into a garage and stealing a purse from a car.

Genessee County Prosecutor David Leyton said yesterday that his office had issued an arrest warrant charging Ingram with a felony count of breaking and entering of a building and a misdemeanor larceny charge. The purse, which contained some cash and credit cards, was reported stolen in December in Grand Blanc Township near Flint.

Ingram, 41, turned himself in Thursday at 67th District Court and was arraigned by Judge Christopher R. Odette, said Dena Altheide, director of court operations. Odette released Ingram on a $10,000 personal-recognizance bond.

A pretrial hearing was scheduled for Friday and a preliminary examination was set for Aug. 29, both before Judge Larry J. Stecco, Altheide said.

Ingram was sentenced to a year in jail in October 2004 after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor for stealing a credit card from a Flint-area golf course. In exchange, Leyton dismissed a felony fraud charge and a charge that Ingram stole a club from the course.

In July 2001, Ingram was sentenced in a Miami federal courtroom to six months in federal prison for getting caught with $3,290 in counterfeit cash.

Eli Manning Answers Your Questions

The response to the first NYDailyNews.com Web-exclusive Fan Q&A, starring Giants quarterback Eli Manning, was overwhelming, to say the least. It got well over 100 comments and nearly 200 questions -- some serious, some not-so-serious, and a couple that were downright hilarious.

COREY SIPKIN DAILY NEWSAs promised, Manning took a few minutes out this morning to sit down with The Blue Screen (actually, he stood up, but you get the point) and answer some of those questions. Our blue-ribbon panel whittled the possibilities down to what we hoped would be the most interesting, thought-provoking questions in the bunch -- questions that we hadn’t heard the answers to before, or that we hoped would force him to stray from the usual clichés.

Then we (OK, I) asked as many as I could in the allotted time.

Obviously we left a few good ones on the board. We’re sorry we couldn’t get to them all, and we hope you understand that. We also hope you enjoy the ones we chose.

So here, now, are your questions and Manning’s unedited answers:

From George M: On the outside, you have the reputation for being “Easy Eli,” but do you feel that on the inside you match every other players' intensity and desire to win?

Eli Manning: Oh definitely. I’m very competitive. I love to win. I hate to lose. I work extremely hard at what I do and I take it very seriously. I think it’s a matter of I don’t let a whole lot bother me. I don’t hold grudges long. I don’t get down very easily. I just kind of let things roll off pretty quickly. I think that’s an advantage being a football player. I don’t celebrate the good plays more than I need to and I don’t dwell on the bad plays longer than I need to.

From Jonathan: When you mess up on a throw, Shockey and Burress show you up, which puts a target on you because then everyone thinks it's your fault. Why not talk to them and tell them to shut up and play?

EM: Well, a lot of times I don’t see everything that’s going on on the field with them waving their arms. They might get open on a busted coverage or something where I’m not supposed to be looking at their side and they end up waving their arms. So I don’t see it all. I’m out there just trying to play and do what I can.

From Luis: With people always saying negative things about you and comparing you to your brother or other quarterbacks, do you ever feel like telling them "Hey, back off. My numbers are either right with those guys or better"?

EM: No, my job is to try to go out there and win games for the Giants. That’s my only concern. I’m not a guy who gets caught up in stats and this and that. The only important stat is wins and losses. That’s what I’m trying to do: Lead our team to victory.

From Cornfields: What do you perceive as your particular strength as a quarterback, and what aspect of your game would you like to work on most?

EM: I don’t like to talk about strengths and weaknesses. I think I’m competitive. I like to win. I work extremely hard at what I do and I’m just trying to do the best that I can.

From Giants Fan in Denver: How do you feel about people constantly criticizing you for throwing off of your back foot?

EM: I listen to what my coaches say. I watch the films myself. I think you can’t listen to what people have to say at times. They don’t know the circumstances in this league. Sometimes you do have to throw off your back foot. It’s the only way you’re going to get the ball off. You don’t want to have to do it when you don’t have to, but I think my mechanics are fine and I’m in good shape.

From Demitri “Turkish”: Why do you think your production dropped off at mid-season in 2005 and 2006?

EM: Well, I think as an offense and as a team our production just went down. Last year we lost some players to injuries and we weren’t able to do the things we were doing earlier when we were winning some close games. Hopefully we can stay healthy this year and we can continue to get stronger as the season goes along.

From James: What have you done to improve on the accuracy of some of the short ("easy") throws that sometimes kill drives and bring your completion percentage down?

EM: You always do some things. You make sure you work on your mechanics and make sure everything is fine-tuned so you continue to get better with that. Nothing specific. There are a lot of different drills that you do every year. You just focus on those and know where you’re going with the ball with your reads.

5ab00knf.jpgFrom BlueStreak: What pro quarterback (not named Manning) best represents the player you aspire to be?

EM: You want to be associated with the quarterbacks who win championships, like (Tom) Brady, the guys that go in there and compete every year and consistently find ways to win.

From MiamiMike: What sport other than football are you confident you could beat your brother, Peyton in, one on one?

EM: Basketball. I’m just a little better than him.

From Brandon Buchanan: If you did not have the skill set to be an athlete, what profession would be your dream job?

EM: You know, this is my dream job. It’s the only job I want to have. This is what I’ve worked extremely hard to become. I really haven’t thought about another career. This is what I want to be doing.

From Brian Anderson: Who is your role model/personal hero?

EM: I think my father, just because of the way he’s conducted himself. Obviously I didn’t know him when he was playing the game, but just afterwards how he’s dealt with the fans and how he treats people and the way he takes time to meet everybody, talk to everybody and just be sincere.

From Patrick: What's the hardest hit you have ever taken (college or pro)?

EM: Probably my rookie year at Philly -- (Jerome) McDougle -- in the first regular-season game I got into. It hurt a little bit. That’s about it.

From Dave LaDue: What was your personal best moment as a Giant so far and what was the worst?

EM: I like to focus on the best moments. I think winning the division two years ago was a great feeling. That same year beating Denver in a comeback victory, late in the game hitting Amani Toomer in the end zone, there was a lot of excitement winning on the last play like that.

From MiamiMike: If you were in a bar fight somewhere, what one teammate on the New York Giants would you want there to have your back?

EM: There’s a couple of them. Usually I’d take the offensive line. Maybe Chris Snee. I think he’d be a good fighter.

From Craig (Staten Island): What is the best reason you can give Giants fans to help us believe you are going to live up to everyone's expectations?

EM: I’m just going to work extremely hard at becoming the best player I can become, and make sure this team is doing the right things as an offense to be able to put up points and be successful.

Demps, Rolle among hurt in physical affair

Associated Press, Updated 10 hours ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

BALTIMORE (AP) - The Baltimore Ravens were intent upon demonstrating their physical prowess. The New York Giants were eager to prove they could take it — and give it back.

The result was a hard-hitting, mistake-filled preseason game that produced far more injuries than touchdowns.

New York won 13-12 Sunday night, but both teams lost key players.

"I know we had a lot of injuries and a lot of guys banged up. Hopefully it won't be too serious," Giants quarterback Eli Manning said.

Two members of New York's starting defense left in the second quarter. Safety Will Demps, who started all 16 games last season, dislocated an elbow and cornerback Sam Madison pulled a hamstring.

New York coach Tom Coughlin said of Demps: "They say three weeks. He said he's had this before and he was back in two. I'm hoping he's right."

The Giants also lost three offensive players. Wide receiver Michael Jennings had three catches for 31 yards before rupturing his Achilles' tendon, and Steve Smith, who caught a touchdown pass, left with a concussion. Guard Grey Ruegamer also had a concussion.

Jennings' injury occurred without a collision.

"It was a regular route. I just planted and I heard a pop noise," he said. "I'm going to have to have surgery and I've never had surgery before. I'm trying to look at the good side, but I don't know what the good side is right now."

Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle and receiver Mark Clayton sprained ankles.

In opening the preseason with a 29-3 rout of Philadelphia, Baltimore did not commit a turnover and was penalized only three times. Against the Giants, the Ravens had one turnover and received nine penalties in the first half alone.

"They'll come back. This is a good group," Ravens coach Brian Billick said. "But you would think you wouldn't need to learn a lesson like this. If you don't keep your focus and your wits about you, then that's what you see out there."

New York (1-1) was penalized 11 times for 106 yards, and Baltimore (1-1) was called for 11 penalties totaling 66 yards.

"I just think it was overaggressiveness," Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said. "Guys were fired up a little too much and jumped offsides when we should be keying on the ball. We're a veteran club; we can't let things like that happen."

New York running back Brandon Jacobs agreed: "Coming out, we had a bunch of dumb penalties and a lot of dumb staff going on out there. It definitely hurt us."

Ravens quarterback Steve McNair played three series, going 5-for-8 for 29 yards with one interception. Running back Willis McGahee played much of the first half, gaining 3 yards on six carries and catching one pass for a yard.

Manning played deep into the second quarter, going 10-for-13 for 114 yards and producing the game's lone touchdown.

Vying to replace the retired Tiki Barber as New York's starting running back, Jacobs and Reuben Droughns each received six carries during the first half. Jacobs rushed for 23 yards and Droughns gained 11.

The Ravens took advantage of a turnover by Manning to go up 3-0 in the first quarter. After a sneak by McNair came up short on fourth-and-1 from the New York 20, Manning fumbled without being hit and Baltimore recovered on the 12. Matt Stover then kicked a 33-yard field goal.

Manning made amends by capping an 80-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown pass to Smith. Jacobs accounted for 25 yards rushing on four carries.

Stover kicked a 47-yard field goal late in the half to make it 7-6.

After a scoreless third quarter, New York's Josh Huston sandwiched field goals of 50 and 30 yards around a 40-yarder by Baltimore's Rhys Lloyd, who added a 38-yarder with 2:39 left.

"It was definitely a defensive struggle, with the kicking game being all important in that circumstance," Coughlin said. "Huston had a nice second half."

Against the Eagles, Baltimore drove 93 yards for a touchdown on its opening possession. This time, playing in the rain, the Ravens sputtered at the outset.

Top draft pick Ben Grubbs, starting for injured Chris Chester at right guard, jumped offside before the first snap. McGahee followed by losing 5 yards on a run, and Baltimore punted.

Things worsened for the Ravens on New York's initial play from scrimmage. During a 17-yard completion from Manning to Jennings, Rolle twisted his right ankle and had to be helped from the field.

The Ravens' next drive ended with an interception by Madison after McNair threw deep into double coverage.

"It just wasn't there tonight," McNair said. "It started off wrong with penalties and I had a turnover. It's something that's better to happen now than later."

Strahan nears decision time

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Strahan's status

Do you think Michael Strahan will play for the Giants this season?

Yes

No

BALTIMORE - Michael Strahan's training camp holdout is well into its fourth week, but his long-awaited decision may only be a few days away.

Strahan, according to a source who spoke with the seven-time Pro Bowler over the weekend, is prepared to make his decision "sooner rather than later" - possibly before the Giants' third preseason game Saturday night against the Jets. He huddled with his agent in California late last week to discuss his retirement thoughts, according to the source, and plans to speak to some family members about his decision in the next few days.

The source gave no indication of whether Strahan was leaning towards retirement or towards playing one more season.

"He's still trying to make up his mind," the source said. "It's a battle between his heart and his head. His heart says keep playing, his head says retire."

Strahan's agent, Tony Agnone, flew out to the Los Angeles area last week to meet with the 35-year-old Strahan and discuss his impending decision. He returned to his Baltimore-area office on Saturday, but he declined to comment on what was discussed at the meeting.

The Giants were made aware of Agnone's trip before he left. He also met with Giants GM Jerry Reese at the team's hotel yesterday to discuss Strahan's situation.

However, Strahan's apparent timetable makes it unlikely he will report before the Giants break camp at the University at Albany on Thursday. Over the next couple of days, he plans to talk with some of his closest advisers, including his father, Gene, and his uncle, Art, who played very briefly in the AFL and the NFL.

According to another source, Art and Gene Strahan have been heavily lobbying for Michael to retire while he's still in relatively good health.

Meanwhile, Strahan's holdout hits Day25 today. He has been fined $14,288 per day, bringing his total so far to $357,200. If he doesn't show up before the team breaks camp, his fine total would reach $400,064.

If Strahan - who is scheduled to make $4 million this season and another $4 million in 2008 - decides to retire, the fine becomes irrelevant. However, if he decides to play for at least one more season he likely will first seek to have the fine total reduced. It's not clear if the Giants would be willing to do that.

Preseason win is a Giant pain

Jennings likely done for season, five others hurt

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

BALTIMORE - The Giants' performance was better last night. The body count was worse.

Any joy the Giants felt from their 13-12 preseason win over the Baltimore Ravens was tempered by the fact that they lost at least six players to injury, including one - receiver Michael Jennings - for the entire season. Safety Will Demps, tight end Jeremy Shockey, rookie receiver Steve Smith, cornerback Sam Madison and backup offensive lineman Grey Ruegamer all were hurt in the game.

Jennings is facing season-ending surgery for a ruptured Achilles tendon. Of the others, Demps' dislocated right elbow appeared to be the most serious, though he's optimistic he'll be sidelined for only two weeks.

Most of the injuries occurred within a gruesome two-minute span. Jennings was first, as he reached to make an 11-yard catch on the sideline with 12:45 left in the second quarter. He said he heard a pop and quickly knew it was bad news.

On the next play, quarterback Eli Manning - who was an impressive 10-for-13 for 114 yards - fired a 10-yard touchdown pass to Smith. But after the catch, Smith was hit in the back of the head by a defender and was diagnosed with a concussion after he returned to the sideline and his teammates said he was making no sense.

Four plays into the Ravens' subsequent drive, Demps dislocated his elbow trying to tackle running back Musa Smith. At the same time, Madison pulled up in coverage grabbing his left hamstring. A few minutes later, Shockey was on the sideline with tightness in his left hamstring. And in the third quarter, Ruegamer left with a sprained right ankle.

Demps said he has suffered the same injury before - coincidentally six years ago in a preseason game against the Giants while playing for the Ravens. Back then he was told he'd be out 4-6 weeks, but he said he returned in only 2-1/2.

"They said it's probably a quicker rehab this time," Demps said after the game. "I feel fine. My spirits are good. I'll definitely be ready for (opening night in) Dallas."

The same can't be said for Jennings, who had started the last two games while Plaxico Burress (ankles) remained sidelined. He hobbled out of the locker room last night with an uncertain future as a 27-year-old with little experience facing major surgery.

"I'm just trying to look at the good side of this," Jennings said as he gritted his 14-carat gold-capped teeth. "I don't really know what the good side is right now. I'm just happy I caught the ball."

Aside from Jennings and Demps, no one should miss more than a day or two, but the injuries still overshadowed an otherwise impressive performance, especially for a first-team defense that had been pushed around in the preseason opener. The Giants' first-string held Ravens quarterback Steve McNair to just 29 yards passing and made one interception - by Madison in the first quarter on a badly overthrown deep ball. It also stuffed running back Willis McGahee for just three yards on six carries.

"No matter whether it was against the run or the pass, there was a real intensity," Tom Coughlin said. "I could sense that."

Things were good for the offense as well, particularly Manning, the offensive line and running back Brandon Jacobs (six carries, 23 yards). And rookie kicker Josh Huston chipped in with field goals of 50 and 30 yards.

But it was hard for the Giants to look past the crowded trainer's room.

"We had a lot of injuries, a lot of guys banged up," Manning said. "Hopefully it won't be too serious. Maybe we'll have some guys coming back soon."

Manning responds to Barber's criticism

Associated Press, Updated 1 hour ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Tiki Barber wanted a more intense, fiery Eli Manning. The New York Giants quarterback gave Tiki what he wanted in a loud ripping voice on Tuesday.

Two days after being criticized on national television by Barber for a lack of strong leadership, Manning ripped his former teammate and current NBC football analyst for distracting the team last season with his early retirement announcement and his criticism of coach Tom Coughlin.

"I guess I'm just happy for Tiki that he's making a smooth transition into the TV world," Manning said. "You know, I'll be interested to see if he has anything to say (about a team) besides the Giants, and what his comments will be on that."

Normally reserved and never one to criticize a coach or teammate, Manning seemed to enjoy going after Barber, the Giants' all-time leading rusher who retired after last season at age 31 to pursue a television career.

Speaking during the halftime show of the Sunday Night Football game between the Giants and Baltimore Ravens, Barber had said that Manning's attempt to lead an offensive meeting in the 12th week of the last season was "comical" at times.

Manning didn't find the comment funny.

"It's just one of those deals. I'm not going to lose any sleep about what Tiki has to say," Manning said. "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year with calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, and he's lost the heart (to play).

"As a quarterback you're reading that your running back has lost the heart to play the game and it's about the 10th week," Manning said. "I can see that a little bit at times. But I'm not going to get concerned. I'm going to go out there and play ball."

Barber was not immediately available for comment.

Giants teammates came to Manning's defense on Tuesday.

Wide receiver Amani Toomer, who played his entire career with Barber, was stunned.

"I thought Tiki and Eli were pretty good friends," Toomer said. "It's kind of strange to have him say something like that and to make a point of it like that. Maybe he had somebody else in his ear kind of coaxing him into saying stuff, because I don't believe he really believes that. I don't know why he'd say something like that."

Center Shaun O'Hara said that Manning is progressing as a leader, especially for a fourth-year player.

"I don't have any problems with Eli's leadership and the way he does it," O'Hara said. "He's doing it his way. I think players appreciate that. It's a shame everybody wants Eli to be somebody they think he should be instead of just letting him be himself."

O'Hara noted that Manning might be under the microscope more than most young quarterbacks because he is the brother of Peyton Manning.

"For me, you can be Johnny Rah-Rah, but if you're not doing your job, if you're not pulling your weight, it doesn't matter what you say," O'Hara said. "Being loud, that doesn't make you a great leader."

Tackle David Diehl said Manning showed his leadership Sunday night, getting the offensive lined up right when the Ravens threw a couple of new looks at them on defense.

Giants new quarterback coach Chris Palmer added that Manning does everything a coach wants.

"Everybody leads in a different way," Palmer said. "If you buy any business books, there are 101 ways to lead. He'll lead in his own particular fashion."

While Barber praised Manning at times for his play, he also questioned whether he could be a leader of men and make plays when the chips were down.

"His personality hasn't been so that he can step up, make a strong statement and have people believe that it's coming from his heart," Barber said on the show.

Barber then told the story about Manning being uncomfortable talking to the offense in Week 12.

"He didn't feel like his voice was going to be strong enough and it showed," Barber said. "Sometimes it was almost comical the way that he would say things."

While Barber rushed for 1,662 yards last season, the second highest single-season total in Giants history, he also was a distraction in an 8-8 season that saw the Giants make the playoffs.

He went on record in early October saying that the 2006 season would probably be his last. He also created problems for Coughlin when he criticized him for pulling away from the running game too soon in a loss to Jacksonville in November.

It was the second time he went after his head coach.

After a playoff loss to Carolina in 2005, Barber said Coughlin was outcoached by Panther coach John Fox, a former Giants assistant.

Giants backed into a corner

May need youngsters Ross, Webster to step up

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Aaron Ross and Corey Webster are supposed to be the future of the Giants' secondary. The future might be closer than they think.

Cornerback Sam Madison, one of the victims of the physical beating the Giants took in Baltimore on Sunday night, might not be ready for the season opener in Dallas on Sept.9, 19 days away. He suffered a pulled left hamstring in the Giants' 13-12 win and "depending on the severity, that could be a couple of weeks," Tom Coughlin said.

That puts his scheduled opening night start in doubt.

"I think anytime you have one of these injuries and you're up in the air as you close in on the regular season, that certainly is a concern," a dejected Coughlin said on a conference call yesterday. "Obviously you've got to strengthen, you've got to condition and you've got to practice. Hopefully this type of timetable will put us right into game week ready to go."

Madison won't be the only key player in the secondary scrambling to play in Week1. Safety Will Demps dislocated his right elbow Sunday night and his three-week recovery prognosis puts him well into Week2. But Demps had lost his starting job to James Butler this summer. Madison is the only starter who might be forced to sit out.

Making matters worse for Madison is that he's 33 years old and had hamstring trouble last season as well. He pulled his right hamstring in late October in a 36-22 win at Dallas and was forced to miss four of the next five games. He tried to return after two games, but only made his injury worse.

Given that and his age, it's possible the best thing for Madison might be extended rest. Yesterday, Coughlin would not rule out that possibility.

"Well, we're going to see for sure and do the right thing for our team," he said. "If the doctors do advise something other than allowing him to come back full speed then we'll have to follow that."

Without Madison, the Giants' cornerback corps suddenly becomes dangerously thin. Webster, a second-round pick in 2005, figures to replace him as the starter, especially since he started 12 games over the last two years.

The only other viable option is Ross, the No.20 pick in the April draft, who missed some training camp time and the first preseason game with a sore glute and a pulled hamstring. He's also been overwhelmed the last week or so trying to make up for lost time and trying to learn the nickel back position, which he never played before.

MORE PAIN: Add DT Jonas Seawright (concussion) to the list of players hurt Sunday night, bringing the total to seven. Still, the news could be worse. Only WR Michael Jennings (ruptured Achilles) is lost for the season. WR Steve Smith (concussion) and Seawright should return as soon as they pass some neurological tests.

As for the others, TE Jeremy Shockey (hamstring) will "hopefully" be able to practice this week, but "We'll have to see," Coughlin said. And OL Grey Ruegamer (high ankle sprain) will be sidelined for the remainder of the preseason.

Burress practices for Giants but Shockey still out

Associated Press

Updated: August 21, 2007, 7:20 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

ALBANY, N.Y. -- New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress practiced on Tuesday for the first time since spraining his right ankle on Aug. 2.

"He looked pretty good," coach Tom Coughlin said after the workout at the University at Albany. "It's good to have him on the field working with the quarterbacks, and I think he feels pretty good after practice."

Burress, who had 63 catches and a career-high 10 touchdowns last season, made a nice one-handed reception of Eli Manning's pass midway through the workout. He also showed good agility, catching another Manning pass and getting past cornerback Gerrick McPhearson with a quick cut and run.

Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey didn't practice because of tightness in his hamstring, and Coughlin didn't know when he would return to practice.

Second-year receiver Sinorice Moss is going to be sidelined until at least Thursday. He sprained an ankle last week and didn't play in the 13-12 win over Baltimore on Sunday.

Rookie Steve Smith returned to practice Tuesday despite suffering a concussion while catching the only touchdown pass Sunday. He was elbowed in the head on the play.

"I remember going to the sidelines and talking to the guys," said Smith, this year's second-round draft pick. "I remember the catch, but nothing after that. I don't remember how I got to the sidelines."

With starting cornerback Sam Madison sidelined with a hamstring injury, Corey Webster worked with the first team and top draft pick Aaron Pierce continued as the nickel back.

Seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan is still deciding whether to play or retire after 14 seasons, his agent, Tony Agnone, said Tuesday in an e-mail.

Strahan has missed 26 days of camp. The NFL's single-season sack record holder is being fined $14,288 for each day missed. His total is now $371,488.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Giants focused on rushing the passer

By William Bendetson

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: August 21, 2007

* Comment

* Email

* Print

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The New York Giants were lined up in their 11-on-11 drill last Wednesday when Giants QB Eli Manning overthrew his intended receiver and Giants defensive back Sam Madison intercepted the pass. New York safety Will Demps was a little surprised to see an 11-year veteran make such a play.

"I doubted your hands," Demps said to Madison.

Jekyll and Hyde might best describe the Giants' defense last season. One never knew which defense to expect. Would it be the defense that registered four interceptions in a 36-22 victory over the Dallas Cowboys? Or the one that surrendered 31 points to the mediocre Chicago Bears offense in a 38-20 loss? It did not help that Osi Umenyiora, the Giants' star defensive end, suffered a hip injury in the win at Dallas.

"A lot of people don't realize from reading the newspapers that Osi is one of our leaders," said Giants linebacker Reggie Torbor.

The Giants have three great athletes on their defensive line: Michael Strahan, if he plays this season; Umenyiora; and Mathias Kiwanuka. When former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi drafted Kiwanuka, many wondered why the Giants would select another pass-rusher. The move, however, paid off last season, as Kiwanuka had four sacks and was a good fill-in for a defense decimated by injuries.

In the offseason, coach Tom Coughlin replaced defensive coordinator Tim Lewis with Steve Spagnuolo, who was the linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles last season. Spagnuolo learned under Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who is known for blitzing a lot in the 4-3 alignment.

"We basically have to take everything we learned over the past few months and throw it out the window," Madison said. "Guys need to put their thinking caps on."

Last year, the Giants' defense was almost a hybrid between a 4-3 and 3-4, forcing linebackers to pressure the quarterback as well as cover receivers. This year, New York's defensive linemen will be more focused on rushing the passer. Spagnuolo moved Kiwanuka to linebacker. The hope is to have Kiwanuka on the field at all times. Spagnuolo also has moved defensive tackle Barry Cofield from the two-gap to the one-gap. So instead of being double-teamed on almost every play, Cofield will become part of the Giants' rotation and have the opportunity to rush the passer.

"Our attacking style is different than last year," Cofield said. "We should be able to get more of a pass rush as we are not reading offensive linemen as much, so we can get up the field quicker. We want our D-line to play in the opponent's backfield. The challenge, though, is to focus on our technique and not blow assignments during the game."

We basically have to take everything we learned over the past few months and throw it out the window. Guys need to put their thinking caps on.

Added Kiwanuka: "We have a new scheme and it really rejuvenated everybody, revitalized our optimism, as everybody is running around trying to get somebody. The biggest difference from last year to this year is we are going to come get 'em, blitz a lot and be in your face. The challenge is tailoring the new system to the talent of the players on the field and that takes time. We also need to tackle better. "

Despite all the optimism about the new schemes, the Giants face challenges. Can Kiwanuka successfully make the transition from defensive line to linebacker? Spagnuolo admitted earlier in training camp that Kiwanuka's progression has been in baby steps. Kiwanuka himself admitted that he has had a difficult time learning his new position.

With the Giants focused on blitzing more, their run defense could suffer. The Giants defended the run poorly in their preseason loss to Carolina, allowing 154 rushing yards. The signing of linebacker Kawika Mitchell, who had 82 tackles last season for Kansas City, should help the Giants' cause.

Last season, the Giants struggled to get off the field on third down, as opponents converted 42.9 percent of the time (24th in the NFL). The Giants were notorious for allowing a lot of long drives. They drafted Aaron Ross with their first pick, and he should be the third or fourth cornerback on passing plays. Cornerback Corey Webster missed four games last season, and his return should help.

The Giants also have 10-year veteran R.W. McQuarters, and Madison, who started most of last season. To further shake things up, Coughlin moved third-year safety James Butler into the starting role ahead of Demps. The Giants' other starting safety from last season, Gibril Wilson, should remain a starter. Of course, injuries can always shake things up, and the Giants are already dealing with their share. In Saturday's preseason victory over the Ravens, Demps dislocated an elbow and Madison pulled a hamstring.

Last Wednesday, the Giants' cornerbacks were lined up in a lot of single coverage, which should be expected as the Giants blitz more this season.

"We play press almost every play," Madison said. "We had some problems last year in the secondary, but the front line, linebackers and secondary all go together. When three of your top five defensive linemen go down, and you don't have a pass rush, it puts the secondary on their heels. Last year, we did not cover as well as we are now. We are forcing the offense to do what we want them to do instead of letting them dictate what we do."

William Bendetson covers football for ESPN.com.

Eli ticked at Tiki talk

Manning lobs barbs back at Barber

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 10:03 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

* Discuss

ALBANY - If Tiki Barber is still looking for signs that Eli Manning is ready to be a leader, he got an earful of them yesterday.

The Giants quarterback hit back hard at his former teammate, two days after Barber questioned Manning's leadership skills on TV. Manning not only dismissed Barber's critique as irrelevant, but he also questioned the ex-Giant's leadership skills, too.

"I'm not going to lose any sleep about what Tiki has to say," Manning said before practice at the University at Albany. "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year with calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, and (how) he's lost the heart (to play). As a quarterback you're reading that your running back has lost the heart to play the game and it's about the 10th week. I can see that a little bit at times."

Those comments made for the strongest visible signs of Manning's leadership ability since he became the Giants' starter midway through his rookie season in 2004. Since then, his calm, unflappable demeanor has been overanalyzed and dissected. Many have questioned whether he has the spark or fire to lead an NFL team.

Barber, the outspoken retired running back who works for NBC, did exactly that on Sunday night, during halftime of the Giants-Ravens preseason game. He said Manning's "personality hasn't been so that he can step up, make a strong statement and have people believe that it's coming from his heart.

"Last year about Week 12 I turned over the offensive motivational speech to Eli and he was gung-ho to do it, but he was uncomfortable doing it," Barber continued. "I think a lot of it had to do with vets being around - myself, Jeremy Shockey, Plaxico Burress. He didn't feel like his voice was going to be strong enough and it showed. Sometimes it was almost comical the way that he would say things."

To that, Manning said: "I guess I'm just happy for Tiki that he's making a smooth transition into the media world. You know, I'll be interested to see if he has anything to say (about a team) besides the Giants, and what his comments will be on that."

Last night, on his Sirius NFL radio show, Barber actually seemed pleased with Manning's reaction. "I'm glad he's sticking up for himself," Barber said.

Barber's criticisms of his old team have been a running theme since he retired in January. However, before Sunday, his shots were limited to Tom Coughlin. The addition of Manning to his hit list led receiver Amani Toomer to jokingly ask, "Who's next?"

Coughlin, for his part, declined to get drawn into the war of words. "That's Eli's business," the coach said. "I think he thought about what he was going to do and decided he'd say exactly what he felt. More power to him."

Meanwhile, other Giants lined up to defend their 26-year-old quarterback.

"It's a shame that everybody wants Eli to be somebody they think he should be instead of just letting him be himself," said center Shaun O'Hara. "For me, you can be Johnny Rah-Rah, but if you're not doing your job and pulling your weight, then it doesn't matter what you say."

Added quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer: "If you buy any business books there are 101 ways to lead. You have to be yourself. If you're a phony, they're not going to follow you."

The Giants seem to have no trouble following Manning. They just wish Barber would start following somebody else.

"I guess he wants to talk about us," Toomer said. "But it's kind of tough to listen to that stuff over and over again."

First step to being the man

Steve Serby

New York Post, Updated 1 hour ago

It is terrific news that Eli Manning has a pulse, that he sounded more like Peyton Manning when he lashed back at NBC's Tiki Barber for questioning his leadership skills, never mind that Barber didn't say anything that Tom Coughlin and everyone big and blue would argue with in any way.

It hardly means that Eli Manning is ready to take the Giants to a Super Bowl, the way his older brother for the Colts did last February. But mark it down as the first baby step toward NFL manhood, and for all those who want their quarterback to stand for something, to rise up with clenched fist and stop taking garbage, to show some fire and brimstone, to stir the ghost of Johnny U, sing hallelujah! Funeral services for Casper Milquetoast will be held in the Giants Stadium end zone next to Jimmy Hoffa. Steve Mara will be one of the pallbearers.

"It's one of those deals I'm not going to lose any sleep about what Tiki has to say," Manning said yesterday. "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year with calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, saying he's lost the heart. As a quarterback, you're reading that your running back's lost a little, the heart, him playing the game, and it's about the 10th week. I'm not going to get concerned, I'm going to go out and play ball."

Barber clearly struck a nerve when he said in his "Football Night in America" debut that Eli Manning had not yet shown he was a leader of men. Good. At least now we know Eli has a nerve.

Over the past three years, Manning has given New York the impression that a dirty bomb could detonate in his locker and he would stand there nonplussed, talking about going through his reads and playing smart football and not making mistakes and all that poppycock.

This isn't quite up there with Broadway Joe's guarantee. But if it's one thing New York likes, it's a quarterback with moxie, with fight, with snarl. One who will speak his mind and defend his turf. Part of the reason Phil Simms finally was adored was he didn't take garbage off anyone, not even the Eagles bullies in the venomous Vet; not even Ronnie Lott; hell, not even Bill Parcells on the sidelines in Indianapolis on national television! Even Neil O'Donnell sounded off when Keyshawn Johnson called him a "stiff puppet" in his book. To hell with leading by example. Don't mess with Eli.

"He talked to me a while ago and said Tiki got after him a little bit the other night, and he said it's not a big deal," Archie Manning told the Associated Press at a charity bowling event in Indianapolis. "He told me a whole lot of people in the Giants organization were proud of what he said.

"Eli's not a controversial guy and he's not going to be. I feel like if Eli did something like that, it would come from his heart."

Never mind that Eli is way off the mark questioning Barber's heart. Perhaps he should take out the tape of Barber's heroic 234-yard, three-TD performance against the Redskins that dragged the Giants kicking and screaming into the playoffs. Barber, who called out the coach after getting 10 carries against the Jaguars, looked like the one Giant that night who didn't lose the heart to play the game.

You can hit Barber as hard as you want for setting up his television career from Monday to Saturday, but never on Sunday.

Last night, on his Sirius NFL Radio show, Barber said, "I have never, ever, ever not left 100 percent of myself on the football field. And you can say whatever you want, but don't say that because that's offensive."

Barber may have talked too much talk, but he walked the walk, and now it is time for Eli Manning to walk the walk and walk it tall. Remember, talk is cheap; play the game. Complete over 60 percent of your passes; don't wilt over the second half of the season; stop slumping your shoulders at the first hint of adversity; show us you are the unquestioned leader and franchise quarterback you are supposed to be.

But on this day, we celebrate the fact Eli finally talked some talk, some major league smack, and displayed some backbone, some defiance. This is only the NFL equivalent of Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens muzzling himself. It's too late for the 2006 Giants, but not too late for the 2007 Giants. What's next? Dragging Jeremy Shockey by the ear to offseason workouts?

One small step for Manning. One giant leap for Giantkind.

Manning-Barber feud may not last long

Associated Press, Updated 18 hours ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Eli Manning defended his decision to rip former New York Giants teammate Tiki Barber on Wednesday, saying there are times when you just have to react to criticism.

The quarterback also said there are also times to forgive and forget, and that he would like to put his disagreement with the halfback-turned-football-analyst behind them.

"I am fine talking to Tiki," Manning said between training camp practices at the University at Albany. "If I see him, I'll definitely talk to him. I will be friendly to him. I'm not trying to start something. It's just a deal that happened and hopefully when we see each other, and we will, and it won't be awkward. I don't want it to be."

Manning's peace offering came 24 hours after he criticized Barber for attacking his leadership on the halftime show of the Sunday Night Football game between the Giants and Baltimore Ravens.

Barber had said that Manning's attempt to lead an offensive meeting in the 12th week of the last season was "comical" at times.

After sarcastically noting that Barber was making a smooth transition from the playing field to television, the normally reserved Manning said he could have questioned Barber's leadership last season for calling out coach Tom Coughlin and then having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season. It turned out to be a major distraction for the Giants.

"I guess I have always been an even-keel guy, never really responded back, always tried to make things smooth and easy," Manning said. "That's probably the first time I fired back a bit. It was one of those things that I felt I needed to do."

Barber did not immediately return a telephone call left by The Associated Press seeking comment on Wednesday.

Manning said he has not talked to Barber since the blowup.

"This is kind of a done issue for me," Manning said. "I made some comments yesterday and it's over in my eyes. I don't want to make it a bigger deal. I want to try to end it as soon as possible."

Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts believes his brother wants to get ready for Saturday's game against the Jets and forget about the disagreement.

"I don't think it is really amusing," Peyton Manning said. "I think he (Eli) hit it on the head when he said Tiki has made a smooth transition to the media world because it seems ex-players become ex-players pretty quickly."

He admitted he is defensive about all quarterbacks, but especially his brother.

"You cannot play quarterback at any level, junior high, and not be in a leadership position — to do it for three years in high school, three years in college and basically two years in the NFL unless you are a good leader. The ones that aren't don't make it at any level," Peyton Manning said.

While many teammates said they were unaware of the controversy until Tuesday night, they applauded Eli Manning's actions and words.

"I am not surprised," receiver Plaxico Burress said. "When somebody talks about you, you are supposed to stand up for yourself."

Guard Chris Snee said that no one on the team was going to get bent out of shape by what Barber said. He also had a different view of Manning's talk to the offense in the 12th week of last season.

"Eli is not a big vocal guy, but he has shown leadership," said Snee, who is Coughlin's son-in-law. "I have seen it. If Tiki or anyone else wants to say they were laughing when he was speaking, that's fine. I took it as if he (Eli) was fired up and ready to play."

Brandon Jacobs, who inherited the starting job at halfback when Barber retired, did his best to stay out of the controversy.

Six times he said that he had nothing to say about the Manning-Barber rift.

The seventh time, he relented.

"It's just two leaders," said Jacobs, who was mentored by Barber the past two seasons. "Tiki was a great leader for us last year and Eli was a great leader for us as well, and will be this year. They're two grown men and I'm sure they are going to find a way to settle their differences."

Manning Makes Strong Defense of Manning

* Sign In to E-Mail or Save This

* Print

* Reprints

o Digg

o Facebook

o Newsvine

o Permalink

Article Tools Sponsored By

By JUDY BATTISTA

Published: August 23, 2007

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, whose leadership ability was once questioned by a teammate, joined the fray between his younger brother Eli and the former Giants running back Tiki Barber, now a commentator for NBC. During a television broadcast Sunday night, Barber criticized Eli’s leadership skills. Eli fired back at Barber on Tuesday, and Peyton took a shot yesterday at former players who join the news media after their playing careers end and then criticize current players.

“Ex-players truly become ex-players right away, the No. 1 job is to criticize players,” said Peyton Manning, who had his ability to lead publicly questioned several years ago by the former Colts place-kicker Mike Vanderjagt. “I’m pretty defensive of all quarterbacks. Eli is my brother. I’m very loyal to my family. I’d rather you criticize me. I don’t think anybody knows what it’s like to be a quarterback except a current quarterback. Sometimes former quarterbacks forget what’s it’s like. You cannot play quarterback at any level — you’re in a leadership position. To do it for three years in high school, three years as a starter in college, taking your team to the playoffs — you are a leader and you’re a good leader.

Manning added: “It’s supposed to be a code, teammates to teammates. That’s the problem we’re going to have with ex-players going to the media. When I retire, I know what I don’t want to do.”

Eli Manning, for his part, seemed ready to move on from the controversy. The Associated Press reported that Manning told reporters at the Giants’ training camp in Albany that he would talk to Barber if he saw him. “I’m not trying to start something,” Manning said. “It’s just a deal that happened, and hopefully when we see each other, and we will, and it won’t be awkward. I don’t want it to be.”

Giant rant against Tiki helps Eli connect with teammates

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 10:08 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

* Discuss

ALBANY - One day after Hurricane Eli smashed into the mouth of Tiki Barber, there was a sense of calm after the training camp storm.

Actually, "calm" might not be the right word. Call it restrained joy. "I think that's what everyone wanted to see," said linebacker Antonio Pierce. "Didn't they say there was fire in his eyes and roaring from his mouth like a dragon or something?"

Judging by the private reactions of people inside the Giants organization and the sly smiles of some of Manning's teammates, the quarterback's mini-eruption on Tuesday was exactly what everyone wanted to see. For the most part, the Giants seemed thrilled that Manning stood up to Barber's barbs and fired back a few of his own.

"He's a big boy. He's able to stand up for himself," said guard Chris Snee. "It's something you have to address. I feel he did a good job in handling it."

"I'm not surprised," added Plaxico Burress. "When somebody talks about you, you're supposed to stand up for yourself."

Manning did that in surprising fashion in the wake of what Barber said on NBC on Sunday night. The former Giant questioned Manning's leadership skills and even said some of Manning's attempts at motivational speeches were "comical."

Manning's unexpected response on Tuesday was, "I guess I could have questioned (Barber's) leadership skills last year with calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, and (how) he's lost the heart (to play). As a quarterback you're reading that your running back has lost the heart to play the game and it's about the 10th week. I can see that a little bit at times."

The morning after, Manning refused to back down. But he did understand why everyone seemed so surprised.

"Well, I guess I've always been even-keeled, never really responded back, tried to always make things smooth and easy," he said. "That's probably the first time I've kind of fired back a little bit. It's one of those things I felt the need to do."

Asked why he felt the need, Manning said, "It just came out. I don't know. It was just one of those deals where it seemed like the right thing to do."

And asked if he thought his outburst demonstrated leadership, Manning laughed. "I was just responding to what someone said," he said. "That's it."

Meanwhile, the Giants continued to line up and defend their young quarterback.

"He's been leading this team since I got here," Pierce said. "It always starts with the franchise quarterback. A quarterback leads by completions, wins. The great quarterbacks are counted on in that way. They win games."

Eli's words traveled at light speed on Tuesday to Indianapolis, where brother Peyton and father Archie were hosting a charity event.

Archie's phone was ringing off the hook. "He was like, 'Why are all the New York media calling me right now? What happened?'" Eli said. "I just kind of informed him a little bit."

STRAHAN STAYS PUT: Pierce said he "wouldn't be surprised" if Michael Strahan made an appearance against the Jets Saturday night. "Nope," said a source close to the holdout defensive end. "Not happening."

Apparently, Strahan is in no rush to decide whether he wants to play a 15th season. He is likely to take at least the weekend to make up his mind, according to the source. Tom Coughlin said the Giants "haven't talked about any deadline at this point in time." Strahan's holdout has hit 28days and his fine total (at $14,288 per day) is $400,064....WR Amani Toomer (ankle), QB Jared Lorenzen (concussion), P Jeff Feagles (back) and RB Derrick Ward (ankle) joined TE Jeremy Shockey (hamstring) and WR Sinorice Moss (ankle) on the sidelines at practice last night.

Ex-Giant charged in break-in

Saturday, August 18th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

FLINT, Mich. - Former Giants receiver Mark Ingram is accused of breaking into a garage and stealing a purse from a car.

Genessee County Prosecutor David Leyton said yesterday that his office had issued an arrest warrant charging Ingram with a felony count of breaking and entering of a building and a misdemeanor larceny charge. The purse, which contained some cash and credit cards, was reported stolen in December in Grand Blanc Township near Flint.

Ingram, 41, turned himself in Thursday at 67th District Court and was arraigned by Judge Christopher R. Odette, said Dena Altheide, director of court operations. Odette released Ingram on a $10,000 personal-recognizance bond.

A pretrial hearing was scheduled for Friday and a preliminary examination was set for Aug. 29, both before Judge Larry J. Stecco, Altheide said.

Ingram was sentenced to a year in jail in October 2004 after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor for stealing a credit card from a Flint-area golf course. In exchange, Leyton dismissed a felony fraud charge and a charge that Ingram stole a club from the course.

In July 2001, Ingram was sentenced in a Miami federal courtroom to six months in federal prison for getting caught with $3,290 in counterfeit cash.

Yeah....Mark went real heavy into crack cocaine back in the early nineties. A shame...but until he gives up his addiction or admits he has a serious problem you will be posting these kinds of stories until he dies.

Tynes & Huston don't get a leg up

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, August 26th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Lawrence Tynes and Josh Huston took turns kicking away the Giants' place-kicking job last night. Then again, maybe they never really had a chance.

With the Giants playing without injured long-snapper Ryan Kuehl and holder Jeff Feagles, Tynes aptly described the kicking team as "a mess." That's a big reason why he was just 1-of-3, missing from 40 and 43 yards, while Huston missed his only chance from 42 in the Giants' 20-12 loss to the Jets.

"I did what I could with every ball," Tynes said. "You guys watched the game. I hit every ball well. I did what I could with what was given to me. But you know what? That's an excuse. ... They're misses. The bottom line is it doesn't matter."

That seemed to be the bottom line with Tom Coughlin, who admitted he was "concerned" with the kicking situation, although he conceded at least one of Tynes' misses was the result of a poor snap by rookie DT Jay Alford. Coughlin did praise Huston for drilling one kickoff through the end zone into the wind, but he also said his staff would discuss adding another kicker before the Sept. 9 season opener.

BOUNCING BACK: The Giants' first-team defense gave up a 79-yard touchdown pass from QB Chad Pennington to RB Leon Washington on the first play of the game. For the rest of the first half, it gave up minus-13 yards on 16 plays.

"I'm not sure exactly what happened on that first play," LB Antonio Pierce said. "But it was ugly. Other than that, we did a good job rebounding."

MITCHELL HURT: LB Kawika Mitchell suffered a groin injury in the second quarter. Coughlin said he hoped it wasn't serious. ... WR Plaxico Burress missed last night's game with the flu. TE Jeremy Shockey (hamstring), CB Sam Madison (hamstring), RB Derrick Ward (ankle), Feagles (back), SWill Demps (elbow), LB Gerris Wilkinson (knee), OL Todd Londot (ankle), OL Grey Ruegamer (ankle), Kuehl (calf), DE Adrian Awasom (abductor muscle) and DT Marcus Bell (knee) also sat out.

RARE OCCURRENCE: For Feagles, it was the first time he's missed any game - preseason or regular season -in his 20-year NFL career. He holds the NFL record, having played in 304 consecutive regular-season games.

"After all these years, this is actually the first time I've been able to sit and watch a football game without having to worry about exactly what I have to do," Feagles said. "It's a little bit weird, and I certainly don't want to be on this side of the fence again."

Strahan's in it for long haul

Pal: '08 season on Mike's mind

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, August 26th 2007, 9:15 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Michael Strahan might not be returning to the NFL for one final season.

He might be coming back for more.

The 35-year-old Strahan has not ruled out playing in 2008 and possibly beyond, according to someone who speaks regularly with the still-absent defensive end. He's expected to announce his return for the 2007 season in the next few days, and the source cautioned against trumpeting the announcement as the start of the Strahan Retirement Tour.

"He might not just be coming back for one season," the source said. "What happens if he plays well this year? He could earn himself a lot more money."

According to the source, Strahan is still looking for one more huge payday, especially after watching the market for defensive ends explode during the offseason. He is scheduled to make $4 million this season and $4 million in 2008 - the final two years on the seven-year, $46 million contract he signed in 2002 - and believes he is vastly underpaid.

Strahan met with Giants management in March and requested more money - either as an increase in salary, a contract extension, or even some easy-to-reach incentives - but was sternly shot down. The source said if Strahan returns and plays well in 2007, he'll likely make the same request after this season.

It's also possible that at that point, with his age in mind, Strahan could even request a trade if the Giants don't meet his financial demands. As the Daily News reported in early August, Strahan's agent, Tony Agnone, shopped the defensive end around the league in the spring and found only mild interest. It is not clear if Agnone had the Giants' permission to make those calls, but team sources have said the Giants never had any intention of trading Strahan.

What happens in 2008 will depend on many factors, not the least of which is Strahan's health. His holdout, which hits 31 days today, has robbed him of a month of training and there's no telling how that'll affect his injured right foot. He missed seven games last season with a dangerous Lisfranc sprain, and opted for rehab instead of surgery.

In the spring, Strahan insisted his foot was fine, but he has yet to prove that out on the field in actual football drills, let alone games. He also has missed 15 games during the last three years, including eight in 2005 when he had a torn pectoral muscle.

Last night, Strahan missed the Giants' third preseason game as he remained at his new home in Hermosa Beach, Calif., where he has been working out every day, according to sources. As reported in yesterday's Daily News, he had a visit from Giants co-owner Steve Tisch earlier in the week, which has been his only contact with the organization during the last few weeks.

Though he has yet to make it official, Strahan's friends, teammates and almost everyone in the Giants organization believe he has abandoned his thoughts of retirement and will be announcing his return in the next few days.

A GIANT START

DESPITE LOSS, BIG BLUE STARTERS DOMINATE JETS

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

August 26, 2007 -- The Giants dominated on the field but not on the scoreboard last night while their starters were in action against the Jets. It was a 12-6 Giants lead at halftime before the reserves finished up and faltered in a 20-12 preseason loss to the Jets at humid and sweaty Giants Stadium.

After the Jets struck suddenly for a 79-yard touchdown on the very first play, the Giants dominated the remainder of the first half, outgaining the Jets 201 to minus-13 in yardage. Playing the first half, Eli Manning (17 of 35, 146 yards, 1 TD) was solid but not especially productive.

"As an offense, we have to find a way to keep the ball alive and drive down there and get touchdowns," Manning said. "Coming into tonight, we knew the Jets had been a kind of 'bend but don't break' defense and that's exactly what happened."

On defense, the Giants figure to have Michael Strahan back this coming week, as he's finally expected to end his holdout. Without him, the starting defense last night had one monumental lapse and then was rock-solid. Running back Leon Washington breezed out of the backfield and when Chad Pennington pump-faked, cornerback R.W. McQuarters bit big-time, leaving Washington free on the right sideline. Not only did Washington make the catch, but he cut inside past lunging safety James Butler and was gone. One play, 79 yards, one touchdown and a 6-0 Jets lead after Mike Nugent's extra point failed.

"I'm not sure exactly what happened on that first play, but it was ugly," linebacker Antonio Pierce said.

"The quarterback got me on the pump fake," McQuarters said. "I thought he was going to throw, so I tried to jump it, but I should have stayed down and fell back deep. It was just one of those things and I messed it up."

After that, the defense went seven consecutive series without allowing a first down and Strahan this week will be added to the mix.

"It's definitely a void missing without his experience and leadership," said defensive end Justin Tuck, who excelled filling in for Strahan with four tackles and one sack. "I expect to see him [today] but who knows with Stray. He's a man of surprises."

The Giants reserves could not muster a point after halftime and the second-team defense allowed 14 third-quarter points to allow the Jets to pull ahead. "Our second group has got to play better," Tom Coughlin said.

No one had a worse first half than Lawrence Tynes, acquired from the Chiefs and who by now was supposed to have nailed down the kicker job. Guess again.

Tynes missed field goals of 40 and 43 yards, the first wide right, the second wide left. On the second miss, the snap by rookie Jay Alford was low and holder Cory Ohnesorge - filling in for Jeff Feagles (back spasms) - had to rush to place the ball down without the laces in the proper alignment. Tynes in the second quarter was able to hit a 40-yarder.

"It's not impossible, but it's tough," Tynes said of working with a new snapper and holder. "It's not a great situation but I don't have any excuses. I missed the kicks."

Tynes' competition, Josh Huston, was impressive in sending a kickoff late in the second quarter sailing out of the end zone for a touchback. Huston, though, missed a 42-yard attempt in the fourth quarter.

A crisp two-minute drill engineered by Manning started with an 11-yard pass to first-year receiver Anthony Mix and ended with Manning tossing a fade into the right corner of the end zone - a pass usually thrown to Plaxico Burress. The 6-foot-5 Mix made like Burress, leaping over the reach of 5-10 cornerback Manny Collins for a 5-yard touchdown catch. Coughlin might as well inform Mix (7-45) in the first half) that he's won himself a roster spot.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

Reese faces even more pressure in N.Y.

John Czarnecki

FOXSports.com, Updated 1 day ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

ALBANY, N.Y. - There were days, and some important personnel decisions, when Bill Parcells and the late George Young simply didn't agree. But together the two built a New York Giants team in the 1980s that went on to win two Super Bowls before the two parted ways. There was a respect factor between the coach and the former general manager although it wasn't always perceived that way in the media.

New York City, remember, is the center of the media universe. You win in New York, like Parcells did, then you own the city for life. NYC has special pedestals for its sporting legends, be it a Yankee, Giant or Knick.

The Giants are one of the NFL's flagship franchises, an organization full of history and prestige, and consequently it was startling to some that Jerry Reese, a virtual unknown outside of the Giants and some select NFL scouting circles, was elevated into the role of general manager. Reese was supported by his predecessor, a retiring Ernie Accorsi, and the Mara and Tisch families that own the Giants opted to promote from within. When Reese was hired this year on Martin Luther King Day, he became only the third GM the franchise has had in 27 seasons. Young ruled from 1979 to 1997. Accorsi held the position for the last nine seasons.

Reese, 43, was hired as a scout by Young and then Accorsi moved him into the pro personnel department. He has Shack Harris, Ozzie Newsome and Accorsi on his speed dial. Why Harris of the Jaguars and Newsome of the Ravens? Well, because Reese is an African-American male.

"Those guys are pulling for me, I know they are," Reese said of Newsome and Harris. "I can bounce things off of them. I can remember Shack calling me and saying, 'Jerry, you're in there. This is one of the league's biggest franchises. Not to put any pressure on you, but you have to do a good job.'

"But I wouldn't call it pressure; I would call it a responsibility," Reese said, "because I don't feel like failure is an option for me. I see myself and my appointment to general manager in the cliché terms that it's my time to carry the torch for so many people that came before me and people who will come behind me. I really feel that way."

Harris doesn't officially hold the title of general manager, but he is Jacksonville's vice-president of personnel. Rod Graves has an identical title in Arizona. Newsome is considered one of the game's best general managers and Rick Smith, a good friend of Coach Gary Kubiak, is the GM in Houston after leaving Denver. They are the only five African-Americans, in a league where almost 70 percent of the players are black, who hold the top personnel positions among the 32 franchises.

Reese created league-wide interest, and particularly in the Tampa area last month, when he criticized former Giants left tackle Luke Petitgout, who now plays for the Bucs.

"(Luke) was not a star left tackle." Reese said. "He was a solid left tackle on some occasions and other times he wasn't. Luke has been a marginal player for a long time."

Bucs GM Bruce Allen asked me what Reese was doing, publicly ripping a former player. I answered: "He's probably saying what he believes, but not what he wanted fans or Petitgout to read."

I was right. Reese never dealt extensively with reporters while working in the personnel department.

"That incident probably helped me more than it hurt me," Reese said of his quotes. "I told the reporter those comments were between 'you and I.' I realize you guys have a job to do and you need background on why we make certain personnel decisions. That was a learning experience for me. But why I allowed Luke Petitgout to leave, that stuff is part of being a GM. You got to make some tough decisions."

The next big decision facing Reese and the Giants could be the fate of head coach Tom Coughlin.

"You could be picking a new head coach pretty soon," I said.

But Reese didn't bite.

"I'm supporting Tom 100 percent," Reese said. "I don't like to talk about that, hiring a new coach. I want you to know that I respect Tom Coughlin's passion and what he's trying to do. Tom is a team guy. He was man enough this off-season to admit there are a lot of things that he can change about himself. Tom was only 8-8 last season, but he's made the playoffs two years in a row. Who is the last guy here who did that?"

Well, it was Parcells in 1989-90.

"Hey, Tom deserves some credit," Reese said. "He's overcome some injuries, some bad plays and some bad clock management to make the playoffs. We want to go farther than the first round of (the) playoffs. The guy should get some credit and you guys give him no credit at all. He and I have a good line of communication and I really do hope things work out and he will be here for a long time."

Like Young, Reese is all about the organization working as one and being on the same page with the coaching staff.

"You can make the playoffs with good individual players, but we won't win a championship here until we play like a team from top to bottom," Reese said. "Everybody has to buy into their contribution to the team and quit worrying about their stats, their individual play. It's not always the best talent that wins championships, but in football you need solid, unselfish team play to win."

When you consider his career, Reese somehow got on the fast track. For seven years, he was an assistant coach at Tennessee-Martin and in line to become head coach when current Giant scout Jeremiah Davis asked him to consider scouting for the Giants. Reese remembers saying he wasn't leaving, but changed his mind during the interview process.

"I started at the bottom and worked my way up," Reese said of his present status. "You know the saying, 'start at the bottom of the totem pole,' well I was under the totem pole. Thirteen years later I am the GM. I tell people you can't make this story up."

Basically, Reese has been working hard all his life, starting at 12 baling hay and working the fields in rural Tennessee to help his single mother, who worked in a factory. He calls his background humble beginnings. He was a pretty good defensive back at Martin and upon graduating moved right into coaching. He's a football lifer.

Besides supporting Coughlin and Eli Manning, Reese's biggest issue (distraction?) presently has been Michael Strahan's decision to consider retirement after 14 seasons. Reese said Strahan surprised him by failing to report to camp, "but that's what you get in the NFL," he said. "Michael has been a great Giant for us and he has the right to ponder if he wants to retire or not. He has to make the right decision for him; what's best for him. Obviously, if (he) comes back, we're a better football team with him. But if his heart is not in it, you can't play this game, half-hearted. Michael and I talked about that."

Like many a general manager, Reese calls the salary-cap boon simply incredible. "Players in this cycle have struck gold," Reese said. "The NFL is a money-making machine. I think there is so much parity because it's become a thriving business everywhere. Teams have $100 million to spend and you have to give it to somebody. Even some marginal type players are earning a king's ransom now because the cap keeps going up. I know veterans are saying, "how did this guy get this kind of money?'"

For example, Reese had some interest in offensive tackle Leonard Davis. "But the price (Dallas paid) was just too high," he said. "We weren't going to go there and in the end we weren't even in the ballpark."

Although the minority ranks have grown in the NFL over the last decade, Reese said that the grind of scouting doesn't always appeal to players when they leave the game.

"They money has gotten better than when I started," he said, "but it is a grind for not a lot of money. The first thing I tell guys who ask about scouting is if they can handle 185 to 200 days on the road. I tell them to think about that and then call me back. A lot of times I don't even get a call back. People think its glamorous going to games and such, but its more like truck driving, driving from school to school."

Reese said that from the very beginning Accorsi preached to him about being his own man while also forcing him to read articles about how a general manager made decisions in other sports like baseball and hockey. "He always encouraged me to broaden my horizon and see how other GMs handled the business in different ways," Reese said.

Reese understands the microscope he is under. The NFL is a show-me business and "I have to be successful on a lot of levels to prove that people of color can do this job," he said. "It's nice to be liked and all, but I have to do what's best for the Giants. That's why they hired me. All I want to do is build a team to win championships. That's my goal."

E.J. KO'D: CB E.J. Underwood (broken jaw) will have surgery and is probably done for the season. ... LB Kawika Mitchell (groin) might miss practice this week and Thursday night's game in New England. ... After more struggles from backup QBs Anthony Wright (3-for-7, 14 yards) and Tim Hasselbeck (3-for-6, 33 yards), Coughlin said he may only keep two QBs on his final roster. ... The roster must be trimmed to 75 by tomorrow.