jerseygiantfan

Giant 'D' turns to Pierce

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - There are moments on the field when Antonio Pierce can feel Michael Strahan's absence. When things aren't going well for the defense, he can feel everyone's eyes on him.

"Guys are kind of looking to me like, 'Hey, say something. Let's get a word,'" Pierce said. "I've always had that feeling, so it's something I would do naturally. But now if I don't do it, it's kind of like, 'Uhhh.... ' Before, if I didn't do it, Strahan would definitely be right there."

Strahan, of course, remains home in California, contemplating retirement and so far racking up $100,016 in fines for his seven-day training-camp holdout. He's not only left a huge void on the left side of the Giants' defensive line, but another one in the huddle, where his powerful voice carried weight.

The 35-year-old has never been the sole leader of the Giants defense. It's always been a title he shared with players such as Jessie Armstead, Mike Barrow, Keith Hamilton and, most recently, Pierce. However, until Strahan returns - or if he retires - it's up to the 28-year-old Pierce to carry the full leadership load.

"I get that sense," Pierce said. "But it's not changing what I do and how I go about my business. I still go out on the field, I'm yelling, trying to get guys corrected, trying to correct myself. Yeah, I get the sense that people expect me to (be even more of a leader), but I'm going about it as normal business - Antonio Pierce business."

That business has been about showing passion on the field ever since he went undrafted in 2001 - a snub that left a chip on his shoulder that no one has knocked off. Ever since, he's carried a list of all the linebackers drafted that year and has vowed to be the last one standing. More recently, he taped to his locker a poll question from USA Today that asked, "Who are the best linebackers in the NFL?"

Much to Pierce's dismay, he was not one of the eight possible answers.

Despite finally making the Pro Bowl last season (as an alternate) Pierce remains motivated by those snubs. His teammates can't help but feel his intensity in the huddle. At times it's even been strong enough and loud enough to overshadow everyone, even when Strahan was on the field.

"Stray does his thing and people listen to him and follow him," said defensive end Osi Umenyiora. "But even when Strahan was there, Antonio's always been a vocal leader. He brings that fire."

Pierce said he and Strahan had "kind of a co-captain leadership thing. When he had something to say, nobody stepped on his toes, and I didn't feel like anyone stepped on my toes. When I felt it was appropriate to say something out there, I said something.

"Now, it's one of the things where with him not being here, I'm probably the guy that's going to be the only one being as vocal."

For now, anyway. Pierce believes that someone else will eventually step up and take Strahan's place - he lists Umenyiora, cornerback Sam Madison and safety Gibril Wilson as the most likely possibilities. But for now, especially in the Giants' darkest moments, Pierce knows the job is his.

"You never appoint yourself a leader or a captain," Pierce said. "That's up to your peers or your coaches and players around the league to do for you. So I'm just going to try to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm not trying to do anything out of the ordinary because that's just not me. I'm going to be the same way, and if guys put me in that role, I'm going to take it."

Here's the link check out the look on Shockey's face!

Giant 'D' turns to Pierce

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - There are moments on the field when Antonio Pierce can feel Michael Strahan's absence. When things aren't going well for the defense, he can feel everyone's eyes on him.

"Guys are kind of looking to me like, 'Hey, say something. Let's get a word,'" Pierce said. "I've always had that feeling, so it's something I would do naturally. But now if I don't do it, it's kind of like, 'Uhhh.... ' Before, if I didn't do it, Strahan would definitely be right there."

Strahan, of course, remains home in California, contemplating retirement and so far racking up $100,016 in fines for his seven-day training-camp holdout. He's not only left a huge void on the left side of the Giants' defensive line, but another one in the huddle, where his powerful voice carried weight.

The 35-year-old has never been the sole leader of the Giants defense. It's always been a title he shared with players such as Jessie Armstead, Mike Barrow, Keith Hamilton and, most recently, Pierce. However, until Strahan returns - or if he retires - it's up to the 28-year-old Pierce to carry the full leadership load.

"I get that sense," Pierce said. "But it's not changing what I do and how I go about my business. I still go out on the field, I'm yelling, trying to get guys corrected, trying to correct myself. Yeah, I get the sense that people expect me to (be even more of a leader), but I'm going about it as normal business - Antonio Pierce business."

That business has been about showing passion on the field ever since he went undrafted in 2001 - a snub that left a chip on his shoulder that no one has knocked off. Ever since, he's carried a list of all the linebackers drafted that year and has vowed to be the last one standing. More recently, he taped to his locker a poll question from USA Today that asked, "Who are the best linebackers in the NFL?"

Much to Pierce's dismay, he was not one of the eight possible answers.

Despite finally making the Pro Bowl last season (as an alternate) Pierce remains motivated by those snubs. His teammates can't help but feel his intensity in the huddle. At times it's even been strong enough and loud enough to overshadow everyone, even when Strahan was on the field.

"Stray does his thing and people listen to him and follow him," said defensive end Osi Umenyiora. "But even when Strahan was there, Antonio's always been a vocal leader. He brings that fire."

Pierce said he and Strahan had "kind of a co-captain leadership thing. When he had something to say, nobody stepped on his toes, and I didn't feel like anyone stepped on my toes. When I felt it was appropriate to say something out there, I said something.

"Now, it's one of the things where with him not being here, I'm probably the guy that's going to be the only one being as vocal."

For now, anyway. Pierce believes that someone else will eventually step up and take Strahan's place - he lists Umenyiora, cornerback Sam Madison and safety Gibril Wilson as the most likely possibilities. But for now, especially in the Giants' darkest moments, Pierce knows the job is his.

"You never appoint yourself a leader or a captain," Pierce said. "That's up to your peers or your coaches and players around the league to do for you. So I'm just going to try to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm not trying to do anything out of the ordinary because that's just not me. I'm going to be the same way, and if guys put me in that role, I'm going to take it."

Here's the link check out the look on Shockey's face!

Agent: Strahan to talk soon

Saturday, August 4th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Michael Strahan's agent said yesterday his client probably will issue a statement concerning his holdout and his future sometime in the next couple days.

"He isn't announcing his decision yet," Tony Agnone said. "He just wants to make a statement to his fans."

The 35-year-old defensive end's holdout is now in its ninth day since he stunned the Giants by failing to show up for camp and saying he is mulling retirement. ... DESimeon Rice, whom the Giants are considering signing should Strahan not return, visited the Titans yesterday and underwent a physical. ... WR Plaxico Burress missed practice yesterday after spraining his right ankle Thursday night. Tom Coughlin said he may miss "a couple of days." Burress had surgery on his left ankle during the offseason. ... TE Jeremy Shockey (leg) returned to practice.

Agent: Strahan to talk about his future soon

Associated Press

Updated: August 4, 2007, 8:28 AM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Michael Strahan probably will release a statement on his holdout with the New York Giants within two days, his agent said late Friday afternoon.

"I don't know what he plans to do," Tony Agnone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I really don't."

Strahan, 35, failed to report to training camp at the University at Albany a week ago Friday, hours after Agnone stunned the Giants by telling them that Strahan was considering retirement after 14 NFL seasons.

Agnone said he has advised Strahan, a seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end, to speak with Brett Favre, Willie Roaf, Deion Sanders and other players who have either retired or considered retirement in recent years.

"I'm not sure he's ready for it," Agnone said of playing this season. "I told him not to go to camp and then decide three weeks later that he wants to retire. Take a couple of extra weeks. If he decides to play, there will be 24 weeks of hell after that."

There has been speculation that Strahan, who was scheduled to earn $4 million this season, is holding out in an effort to renegotiate his contract after losing a bitter divorce case that cost him $15.3 million.

Strahan paid half that amount, and an appellate court granted him a temporary stay while it considers whether the award was too much.

But Agnone said the holdout was not about money. He noted that Strahan still got 50 percent in the divorce and that he can make a lot doing television.

"He can make a couple of million doing that and not take any hits from anybody," Agnone said.

When asked to speculate on what Strahan planned to do, Agnone said his gut told him Strahan will retire, but added quickly that he might play.

Strahan missed half of last season with a foot injury, but took part in the Giants' offseason training program and minicamp. Despite his second major injury in three years, Strahan believed then that he was the NFL's best defensive end. His 132½ sacks are tops among active players.

Strahan hasn't commented since failing to report to camp.

The Giants placed him on their reserve-did not report list and have fined him $14,288 per day. His holdout reached its ninth day on Saturday.

There was no immediate comment from the Giants, who have moved forward as if Strahan won't play.

Co-owner John Mara has said that the team wouldn't renegotiate with Strahan, and general manager Jerry Reese has said the Giants would wish him the best if he retires.

If he does, the Giants may consider moving Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He played well there last year as a rookie, but the Giants moved the first-round draft choice to strongside linebacker in April in an attempt to get him more playing time.

New York also had veteran defensive end Simeon Rice take a physical earlier this week and speak to coach Tom Coughlin.

William Joseph and Justin Tuck have filled in for Strahan at left end in training camp.

Idle Plaxico a happy camper

Sunday, August 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Plaxico Burress has spent the last two days in the trainer's room getting treatment on his ankles, and he's made it through less than half of the Giants' practices so far. Still, when he's been out there, he feels he's put on quite a show.

"I think I'm having my best camp," Burress said yesterday. "I'm running in open field, getting off the line of scrimmage fine, still making athletic plays. I don't think there's any setbacks. I'm doing what I'm capable of doing."

Burress, the Giants' No. 1 receiver, knew he'd be limited to one practice a day because he was recovering from surgery to remove bone spurs from his ankle back in March. But he was reduced to none-a-day after he landed awkwardly and sprained his right ankle Thursday night.

Tom Coughlin said Burress "hasn't had any real problems" with the left ankle, though "the strength isn't what he would want it to be." Coughlin is hopeful that Burress' right ankle will be OK by the time the Giants return to practice tomorrow.

"It's a little bit complicated by (the injury to) the other side," Coughlin said. "But I expect we will get that under control."

PASSING TEST: QB Jared Lorenzen, aka the Hefty Lefty, is having the best camp of his three-year career. If he keeps playing this way, the 6-4, 285-pounder might hold off veteran Anthony Wright for the backup quarterback job.

Ralph Vacchiano

Related Articles

Nut-work star

Strahan rumors of TV gig are full of hot air

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Michael Strahan

Michael Strahan

Strahan's status

Do you think Michael Strahan will play for the Giants this season?

Yes

No

Most Recent Columns

* Dollar days for YES

* NFL Network puts a muzzle on Deion

* Tony reward

* Mets voices off base & on babble

* All NBA bets off for TV partners

* Dog days looming for NFL, networks

* Mets could be kinder to Kiner

* A hankering for Hank

* One player finally injects dose of reality

The TV sports business is full of posers and egomaniacs. Considering his personality, Michael Strahan fits right in with any number of gasbags currently working on NFL pregame shows or as game analysts.

Maybe this is why there is talk, from a desperate agent trying to create an illusion of leverage, about all these network suits holding their collective breaths waiting for Strahan to retire so they can hire him.

Strahan has received plenty of TV exposure. In 2003, he was a member of ABC Sports' Super Bowl pregame crew. Strahan has also been a regular on Fox's "Best Damn Sports Show." Of course, there is his memorable deodorant commercial.

None of these TV moments should have anyone - at least anyone with half a brain - running to hire him. Frankly, Strahan's most riveting TV performance came last season in the Giants locker room when he spit sandwich particles in a reporter's face.

Plenty of players who have gone from field to broadcasting did not have a terrific relationship with the media. Strahan's has been erratic - to say the least. Yet, you've got to wonder if Strahan's handling of his Giants "holdout," or whatever it is, and other controversy popping up over the past few seasons, has tarnished his image.

"Michael Strahan used to be the epitome of a team player, a guy who had it together on and off the field," an NFL TV source said. "At some point he became a malcontent. I'm wondering if he'll be able to work with other people in a studio or broadcast booth situation."

There could be something else working against not only Strahan, but other current players looking for TV gigs when they retire. And it has nothing to with ego or image. For these players, getting a network deal won't be easy. The NFL's network partners - most notably CBS, NBC, and Fox - have solidified their broadcast teams (especially the pregame shows) for the remainder of the NFL TV contract.

The two options left are ESPN, which has a revolving door of NFL mouths entering and exiting Bristol Clown Community College, and the NFL Network (if the censors cannot control Deion Sanders there soon may be another opening at NFLN). That's why all this talk about Strahan going fulltime to Fox - The Foxies have signed him (if he plays) to do a monthly player diary on "NFL Sunday" - is baloney.

After a year where "NFL Sunday" was on the road, with Joe Buck hosting as well as working as Fox's No. 1 NFL play-by-play voice, Fox Sports suits do not want to again shake up the system by bringing in Strahan to work with Curt (Big House) Menefee, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, and Jimmy Johnson.

In Strahan's case, there is something else to consider if he should suddenly retire with an eye on TV: The NFL frowns on networks taking players off the field by offering them marquee gigs, which force them to retire. It's an unwritten rule the networks don't like breaking.

Besides, there is one - and only one - venue where Strahan is consistently entertaining. And that would be in the Giants' locker room when he is moaning about something.

Nut-work star

Strahan rumors of TV gig are full of hot air

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

The TV sports business is full of posers and egomaniacs. Considering his personality, Michael Strahan fits right in with any number of gasbags currently working on NFL pregame shows or as game analysts.

Maybe this is why there is talk, from a desperate agent trying to create an illusion of leverage, about all these network suits holding their collective breaths waiting for Strahan to retire so they can hire him.

Strahan has received plenty of TV exposure. In 2003, he was a member of ABC Sports' Super Bowl pregame crew. Strahan has also been a regular on Fox's "Best Damn Sports Show." Of course, there is his memorable deodorant commercial.

None of these TV moments should have anyone - at least anyone with half a brain - running to hire him. Frankly, Strahan's most riveting TV performance came last season in the Giants locker room when he spit sandwich particles in a reporter's face.

Plenty of players who have gone from field to broadcasting did not have a terrific relationship with the media. Strahan's has been erratic - to say the least. Yet, you've got to wonder if Strahan's handling of his Giants "holdout," or whatever it is, and other controversy popping up over the past few seasons, has tarnished his image.

"Michael Strahan used to be the epitome of a team player, a guy who had it together on and off the field," an NFL TV source said. "At some point he became a malcontent. I'm wondering if he'll be able to work with other people in a studio or broadcast booth situation."

There could be something else working against not only Strahan, but other current players looking for TV gigs when they retire. And it has nothing to with ego or image. For these players, getting a network deal won't be easy. The NFL's network partners - most notably CBS, NBC, and Fox - have solidified their broadcast teams (especially the pregame shows) for the remainder of the NFL TV contract.

The two options left are ESPN, which has a revolving door of NFL mouths entering and exiting Bristol Clown Community College, and the NFL Network (if the censors cannot control Deion Sanders there soon may be another opening at NFLN). That's why all this talk about Strahan going fulltime to Fox - The Foxies have signed him (if he plays) to do a monthly player diary on "NFL Sunday" - is baloney.

After a year where "NFL Sunday" was on the road, with Joe Buck hosting as well as working as Fox's No. 1 NFL play-by-play voice, Fox Sports suits do not want to again shake up the system by bringing in Strahan to work with Curt (Big House) Menefee, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, and Jimmy Johnson.

In Strahan's case, there is something else to consider if he should suddenly retire with an eye on TV: The NFL frowns on networks taking players off the field by offering them marquee gigs, which force them to retire. It's an unwritten rule the networks don't like breaking.

Besides, there is one - and only one - venue where Strahan is consistently entertaining. And that would be in the Giants' locker room when he is moaning about something.

David can Diehl with new post

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - It seems to happen once every practice, sometimes more often than that. David Diehl lines up to protect Eli Manning's blind side, and then Osi Umenyiora makes a move and blows right by.

It's only a week into the conversion of the 6-5, 319-pound Diehl from left guard to left tackle, so struggles - especially against a defensive end as quick as Umenyiora - were expected. But that doesn't make them any easier for Diehl to take.

"Yeah, he's gotten me bad early on," Diehl said. "It ticks me off. It happens and it's going to happen sometimes. It's how you bounce back from it. You make sure you learn from it and you see on film what you did wrong and what you need to do to correct it. You fix it and make sure it doesn't happen again."

That's the approach the Giants were counting when they finally settled on Diehl, 27, as the replacement for left tackle Luke Petitgout, who was cut in February. Diehl played two games at that spot late last season, after Bob Whitfield was benched for head-butting too many opponents. The fifth-year pro out of Illinois also has played left guard, right guard and right tackle.

The Giants made a run at free agent Leonard Davis (who signed with Dallas) and tried to trade for Cleveland's Kevin Shaffer. They're impressed with the development of Guy Whimper, last year's fourth-round pick. But they kept coming back to Diehl, a fifth-round pick in 2003 who hasn't missed a game in his NFL career.

That durability ("I may be wrong, but I don't think he's even missed a practice," said guard Chris Snee) was one of his selling points, especially after the Giants endured years of dealing with Petitgout's oft-troubled bad back. But the Giants are convinced Diehl is good enough to handle the NFL's best defensive ends, too.

"Physically, he's a big man," center Shaun O'Hara said. "But he's extremely athletic as well. And he's probably one of the more conscientious players you're going to find in the NFL. He's never going to let a day go by where he's not trying to improve his game. We all have confidence in him."

"He's definitely strong enough, quick enough, athletic enough to handle whoever they throw at him," Umenyiora added. "If he's able to contend with me throughout our practices, man, he should be ready for anything the NFL has to offer."

Tom Coughlin said Diehl "has improved in a week's time" and offensive line coach Pat Flaherty agreed. Flaherty said there are no issues with Diehl's run blocking on the outside, but in pass protection he needs to get used to "all the space he has out there to cover up."

That adjustment will take time, which is why Umenyiora, who has 27-1/2 sacks in the last three seasons, has been giving Diehl quite a workout so far.

"Osi really challenges with a lot of speed," Flaherty said. "(Diehl) will have some days that won't be so good and then he will have another day that will be pretty decent. We just have to get to the point here in the next few weeks when he is going to level off and start making an incline each and every day."

Diehl called his daily battles with Umenyiora "invaluable" and has been picking the end's brain as well, asking him about why he made certain moves and what he can do to stop them.

"I understand the importance of the position," Diehl said. "That's why I'm putting in the extra time, and making sure I'm doing everything I can to be prepared.

"I've always been that way. You put a challenge in front of me I'm going at it full-steam ahead. I'm definitely not shying away from anything."

Strahan says holdout not about money

Associated Press, Updated 11 hours ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan said his holdout with the New York Giants has nothing to do with money and everything to do with uncertainty about whether he wants to return for a 15th NFL season.

"When an athlete like myself who does what I do for a living starts having doubts, then it's time to take a step back and seriously consider my future," Strahan said in an open letter to New York Giants fans that was distributed via e-mail by his agent, Tony Agnone, late Sunday.

"Anyone who plays in the NFL with doubts or second guessing is not only putting themselves at risk, but their teammates also," Strahan said. "I will never do that."

Strahan's absence has been the focal point of Giants training camp since the team reported to the University at Albany on Aug. 27. He has missed 10 days and the team has fined him $14,288 daily.

The 35-year-old Strahan insisted the holdout has nothing to do with his recent divorce. A judge awarded his former wife $15.3 million. He has paid half that amount, and an appellate court granted him a temporary stay while it considers whether the award was too much.

Strahan, who is to make $4 million this season, said the belief that he is holding out for more money is "nonsense." He said that football has been good to him and he is set for life financially.

Strahan said his current decision is one of the biggest of his football career. He said he knew he would face it one day, but admitted he never realized how impactful and painful it would be.

"I was hoping to make this personal decision quietly and without much hoopla, but given the recent torrent of erroneous media reports and totally inaccurate assumptions, I feel that I have to come forward and publicly set the record straight," he said.

The NFL's active sacks leader with 132 1/2 and the season record holder with 22 1/2, Strahan said he worked very hard in the offseason after missing most of the second half of 2006 with a foot injury. He said his body was in great shape and he had every intention of playing until he started asking himself whether he wanted to play.

Strahan said that Agnone and the Giants discussed his contract earlier this year but it is not the reason for his holdout and it won't factor in his decision.

"Despite what some might believe there are those of us who make decisions that have nothing to do with money," Strahan said. "Many athletes ask themselves daily if they are emotionally and psychologically at the level where they can compete at the highest level for twenty-four weeks.

"For them also it isn't about the money, rather a serious athlete asking serious questions about his future," he wrote. "All that I ask, after fourteen seasons, is that you afford me the patience so that I might arrive at my decision on my own terms."

Co-owner John Mara has said the Giants will not renegotiate Strahan's contract, and general manager Jerry Reese added the team wishes him well if he walks away.

advertisement

Strahan said he didn't blame the team for considering other options in case he retires.

Veteran defensive Simeon Rice, who Strahan has criticized as a one-dimensional player, was given a physical last week. He also visited with the Tennessee Titans.

"I know that I am only one player," Strahan said. "I want to express my thanks to the owners and coaches for their extremely kind words about my career as a Giant to date. I have been proud to wear the Giant uniform throughout my professional career. You have my word that I will try to make the correct decision as quickly as possible."

Strahan hoped that Giants fans will cheer him again if he plays and he thanked them for the privilege of playing for them if he retires. He signed off on his letter, "Michael Strahan #92."

Giant corners get their man

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 6th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Sam Madison has played man-to-man defense for as long as he can remember. Corey Webster played it all through high school and college. They have both excelled in that scheme and struggled when they dropped into a zone.

So why did the Giants' defense run mostly out of a zone last year?

"It was the scheme that we were running at the time," Madison said.

"I have no idea," Webster added. "I can't answer that question. I just know this year we'll do a lot more of man-to-man."

It was one of the first changes, and likely the most important one that new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo made when he took over for the fired Tim Lewis in January. He brought smiles to the faces of Madison, Webster and the rest of the Giants' secondary by installing an aggressive scheme that will line up the corners at the line of scrimmage. And he scrubbed Lewis' read-and-react zone in favor of an in-your-face man-to-man formation.

The cornerbacks took to it immediately, and that's been evident by their aggressive play in the first week of camp. Even the safeties love their newfound freedom to abandon assignments and follow their instincts toward the ball.

"Instead of trying to always have in your mind 'Don't give up the big play,' now in your mind it's 'Make a big play,'" said Gibril Wilson, who has switched from strong safety to free safety in the new scheme. "I think that's the biggest difference."

But it's the cornerbacks who seem to have benefited the most. A year ago, Webster - who also was dealing with a hip injury - and Madison looked lost. Receivers often took advantage of the soft cushion they left them, and too often they would turn short passes into big plays.

Madison, 33, started hearing that he was too old and slow to do the job anymore, and Webster, 25, was being referred to as a bust. But they both believe the scheme was more flawed than their performance, and that Spagnuolo's approach will very quickly lead to improved play.

"Definitely," Madison said. "Because now there's no indecision of where you're supposed to be. You have that man in front of you and I have that man in front of me and we go out and play. I really think this defense and this team will make a lot more plays."

Last year, few players believed in Lewis' system. The pass defense was ranked 28th in the NFL, giving up 228.1 yards per game.

"Last year we couldn't get our hands on them too much being 10 yards out," said Webster, a starter last year who is recovering from hip surgery and backing up R.W. McQuarters for now. "This year (Spagnuolo) is totally against that. He wants to get up in the receiver's faces and try to challenge those guys."

PLAX PACE: The Giants are hoping WR Plaxico Burress (ankle) will return to practicing once a day today. ... Still no statement from Michael Strahan, whose holdout hits 11 days (and $157,168 in fines) today. ... The Giants had only meetings yesterday and resume two-a-days this morning.

Strahan: I'm not about $$

In manifesto, insists he's seriously thinking about quitting

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 6th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - And on the 10th day, Michael Strahan spoke.

Nearly a week and a half into his holdout, the 35-year-old defensive end broke his silence late last night when he released a "Letter to the Fans" explaining why he hasn't reported to training camp yet. In his 752-word manifesto, Strahan insisted "money is not the reason" for his absence and that he was seriously considering retirement.

He also vowed to "try to make the correct decision as quickly as possible" and begged for "patience so that I might arrive at my decision on my own terms.

"I was hoping to make this personal decision quietly and without much hoopla," read the statement, which was released by Strahan's agent, Tony Agnone. "But given the recent torrent of erroneous media reports and totally inaccurate assumptions, I feel that I have to come forward and publicly set the record straight with those for whom I have toiled the last 14 years - you fans.

"What's been most disappointing has been all of this nonsense that I'm holding out for more money. Money is not the reason that I have not reported to training camp and it will not be a factor (in) my return. This has already been communicated to the Giants and while the reports may indicate a 'hard line' taken by the team regarding money, it is not necessary. Despite what some might believe, there are those of us who make decisions that have nothing to do with money."

The Strahan Doctrine does not say when the seven-time Pro Bowler began contemplating retirement, but he does admit, "I went into this offseason with every intention of entering a 15th season with the Giants." That could explain why he dismissed any talk of retirement at the Giants' minicamp in June, and was quoted as recently as early July as saying he was looking forward to camp.

"But I am human," the statement said. "And despite the images of me grimacing and tackling opposing quarterbacks and running backs, I have to face my mortality like anyone else. When an athlete starts having doubts, then it's time to take a step back and seriously consider my future."

Of course, that consideration took the Giants by surprise, which is why many in the organization still believe his holdout is a ploy to somehow get more money. In his letter, Strahan admitted Agnone met with the Giants "earlier in the year" to discuss his contract. That meeting, with Strahan present, took place in March and his request for a bump in his $4 million per year salary was quickly denied.

Strahan decided to write his letter, according to a source who spoke with him over the weekend, after reports continued to include the possibility that money was the motivating factor for his holdout. He also was not pleased with recent public comments by GM Jerry Reese, who told the Daily News last week that the Giants were "very serious" about moving on without Strahan because "we can win without him."

"As GM Jerry Reese has said, the Giants are not going to hold a spot for me," Strahan's statement said. "I completely understand his stance as football is a business and he must do what is in the best interest of the team. You have my word that I will try to make the correct decision as quickly as possible.

"If I decide to play, I hope that you will continue to cheer me on like you have for all of these years. If I decide to hang up the cleats, then I will bid you all a tremendous thank you for the privilege to play a game that has blessed me in so many ways and created memories I will cherish for the rest of my life."

New York Giants: Coach Tom Coughlin said Michael Strahan's letter to Giants fans explaining his holdout was consistent with what the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end told him in a telephone conversation last week.

In his letter, Strahan said his holdout had nothing to do with money and everything to do with uncertainty about whether he wants to return for a 15th NFL season.

"Anyone who plays in the NFL with doubts or second guessing is not only putting themselves at risk, but their teammates also," Strahan wrote in an e-mail distributed by his agent, Tony Agnone late Sunday. "I will never do that."

While Coughlin respects Strahan's concerns, he also said the team needs to know if Strahan is going to play.

"We still would like Michael to be in here," Coughlin said. "But Michael has to be in that right frame of mind and want to be here and want to be a part of our team, and he knows that."

Giants Pro Bowl linebacker Antonio Pierce said Monday that he still believes Strahan will play, noting that Strahan has not yet filed retirement papers. He added that No. 92 could probably report to camp a week before the Sept. 9 opener against Dallas and be ready to play.

Son & Gilbride equal Plax rebirth

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Six months ago, life changed for Plaxico Burress when he held his son, Elijah, for the very first time. It gave him a new perspective on life and even a new approach to life with the Giants.

"As far as me trying to break all of (Tom Coughlin's) rules," Burress said, "I just don't have the energy for that no more."

The Giants' No. 1 receiver still has the energy for a lot of other things, even as he hobbles through training camp on two bad ankles (one sprained and one surgically repaired) and as he prepares to turn 30 on Sunday. Coming off an injury-plagued, 63-catch, 988-yard season, he told the Daily News, "I can see myself doing even better," especially now that he's got a new offensive coordinator he likes.

And despite criticism that often has tarnished his reputation, he has no plans to change his outspoken, arm-waving ways.

Burress said he expects great things out of himself and the offense this season mostly because new offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, who filled that position for the Steelers when Burress was a rookie in 2000. Gilbride's best attribute, Burress said, is that he listens to players more than the fired John Hufnagel ever did.

"I can actually talk to him during the game," Burress said. "I don't have to be throwing my helmet or throwing a fit because I can walk over and talk to him. We kind of tried (with Hufnagel) but it wasn't a really open relationship."

Another thing Burress expects Gilbride will do, that Hufnagel often didn't, is make sure to call plays that put the ball in Burress' hands.

"I always said that when I get the ball early and get involved in the game I get better throughout," he said. "When I get the ball early I get hot. But some games (last season) I would get a pass in the first quarter and I wouldn't get another ball thrown to me until the third or fourth quarter. Those are things that I think shouldn't happen. You feel like you're not into the game. You try to stay into it, but mentally you're not."

As a result, Burress would get frustrated and wave his arms when he and Eli Manning didn't connect - an act that brought plenty of criticism his way.

"People get upset when I throw my hands up when I'm open, but if I'm not getting open, I'm getting criticized too," Burress said. "So that right there is a lose-lose situation. They see the hands and they say, 'Oh, he's complaining.' It wasn't my fault I was open."

Even though Burress said the birth of his son "changed me a whole lot," he said his personality likely will stay the same. That means the Giants can count on the same cockiness ("I think I've gotten better every year," he said) and the same outspokenness, too.

"I'm not going to change what I say," Burress said. "I speak from my heart. A lot of people don't like that. They see it as complaining and say, 'Oh, he's a problem.' But when you're actually telling the truth and being factual, that's not complaining. It's just being honest."

Pierce: To the letter

LB is behind Strahan

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Antonio Pierce didn't need to read Michael Strahan's "letter to the fans" to know the defensive end's holdout isn't about the money. Now he thinks it's time for everyone else to start believing Strahan, too.

"I think he thought he needed to (write that letter) for the fans because people have been ripping him and treated him, I feel, a little bit unfairly," Pierce said yesterday after practice at the University at Albany.

"This is a guy that for 14 years has poured his heart out for this organization and this league. Personally, knowing Michael, I don't think this had anything to do about money. It was kind of wrong for people to say that about him."

Pierce said nothing surprised him when he read Strahan's 752-word e-mail, which was sent to reporters late Sunday night. He said he has talked to Strahan often during the 11-day holdout, and the subject of money never came up.

"(The letter) was pretty much the same things he's told me," Pierce said. "And like I told him, this game is all about your heart. If his heart ain't fully in it or his mind ain't fully in it, then it's not something you want to do. I can fully understand that and we support Michael.

"He just wanted to reach out to the fans because they can't have a chance to speak to him.

"The only way the fans get information is through the media. So Mike just felt that he needed to get his point across and let fans know, 'Everything you're hearing wasn't true.' As teammates we knew that."

Meanwhile, the Giants continued to fine Strahan $14,288 per day, bringing his total to $157,168.

The Giants have yet to give the 35-year-old a deadline or publicly say when they need to have his decision. But they are getting closer to a point where they'll have to begin making plans to move on without him.

"We're not there yet," Tom Coughlin said. "But there may be (a point)."

As for Strahan's letter, Coughlin said it was "it's pretty consistent with what my conversation with him was. Obviously nothing has changed and we still would like Michael to be in here, but Michael has to be in that right frame of mind and want to be here and want to be a part of our team."

Pierce believes Strahan eventually will decide he wants to be part of the team again.

"Until those papers go to the league saying 'officially retired' then I've still got 92 in our lineup," he said.

ROSS OUT: CB Aaron Ross, the Giants' first-round pick, sat out with a sore gluteal muscle and a pulled hamstring. He is only expected to miss a day or two. ... S Michael Stone (hip flexor) could be out "a little longer" than Ross, Coughlin said. ... WR Plaxico Burress (both ankles) remained sidelined. ... CB Kevin Dockery (concussion) returned to practice. ... CB Corey Webster (hip) was cleared to begin practicing twice a day.

GIANT CHOICES

Michael Strahan situation gets uglier by the day. Here are the odds of how it will play out:

Option #1: Strahan retires

In a few years everyone will get over their anger and attend Michael Strahan Day at Giants Stadium. Oh, and if he ever pulls a Reggie White and decides to return, it would have to be with the Giants, if they want him. They’ll own the rights to the last two years on his contract forever.

Odds: 50-50

Option #2: Strahan returns to camp

His teammates still believe he’s coming in and most guess it’ll be right after the first preseason game. By then his fines will be up near $250,000 — half his roster bonus — and there’ll only be two weeks of camp left.

Odds: 50-50

Option #3: Strahan returns with a reworked contract

The Giants say never, and both sides admit they haven’t talked money since March. But what if the Giants offered him a few incentives, like an extra $1 million if he gets 10 sacks?

Odds: Unlikely, but not impossible

Option #4: Strahan’s holdout continues into the season

If he missed all of camp and the preseason his fines would be $542,944. Then, if his holdout continued into the season, he’d lose 1/17th of his remaining salary — or $203,356.23 — every week he sat out. That’s a big price for taking your time to make up your mind.

Odds: Doubtful

Option #5: The Giants trade him

His agent has shopped him and apparently found a few takers. But what’s the value for a 35-year-old DE with a bad foot who is scheduled to earn $4 million and wants more?

Odds: Extremely unlikely

Option #6: The Giants cut him

This is the only way Strahan gets what many believe is what he truly wants — a chance to explore his worth on the open market. Of course, if this happens then the Giants would get nothing in return for one of the best players in franchise history. That’s one rookie mistake GM Jerry Reese won’t make.

Odds: Forget it

Lorenzen eating up his opportunity

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, August 11th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Last year, Jared Lorenzen took a huge leap from 300-pound novelty to NFL backup quarterback by showing off his cannon-like left arm during his stellar summer. This year, he believes he's ready to take another leap forward.

He's ready to prove to his teammates and everyone else that he can really play.

"I think a lot of guys definitely think I can't play," Lorenzen said. "I'm trying to earn the trust of the guys on the team and show them that I can play. I think that's one of the biggest things about being a backup is having the starters know you can play the position if, God forbid, something ever goes wrong."

Lorenzen will get a chance to prove that tonight when he plays in the second quarter and maybe even the third quarter of the Giants' preseason opener against the Carolina Panthers at Giants Stadium. Most of the starters, including Eli Manning, will only play the first two series before Lorenzen and the backups come in.

For Lorenzen, 26, the game is a chance to validate his terrific start to training camp, where at times he was the best of the four quarterbacks on the Giants' roster. And while he's no threat to Manning, his performance was still important since the Giants signed veteran Anthony Wright in the offseason to compete for the backup job.

But Lorenzen, whose weight has earned him nicknames like "The Hefty Lefty" and "J-Load", was ready for the challenge. He's heading into his third NFL season (he didn't report to training camp after he was signed in 2004) and he finally feels like he belongs.

"It's all confidence," Lorenzen said. "It's all knowing exactly where you want to go with the ball. And if you do, you can zip balls into tighter spots. That's the way I feel right now."

"I've been relatively impressed with where he's going and what he's been doing," Tom Coughlin said. "He certainly goes out there and gives everything he's got."

That's because Lorenzen, who is listed at 285 and won't divulge his actual weight, wants to be something more than a second-team quarterback whose only regular-season action comes on short-yardage quarterback sneaks. He wants his teammates to believe they can win with him if he ever has to play.

He also hopes to one day have a starting job of his own.

"Obviously I want to start somewhere," Lorenzen said. "Unfortunately, or fortunately, it probably won't be here because of the great guy we have. The only way that's going to happen is if, God forbid, something happened to (Manning). But I want to start somewhere. I want to get a shot."

To get that shot, Lorenzen knows he either needs an unlucky break for Manning, or he needs to take advantage of every opportunity he gets in these preseason games.

"Exactly," Lorenzen said. "That's what the preseason is for. It's to show the backups, the third-stringers, the fourth-stringers and what everybody can do. This is my time to shine so I've got to take full advantage of it."

NOT READY YET: WR Amani Toomer (knee), WR Plaxico Burress (ankle), DT Fred Robbins (calf), CB Aaron Ross (glute/hamstring), LB Gerris Wilkinson (knee), CB E.J. Underwood (hip), S Michael Stone (hip) and LS Ryan Kuehl (calf) are all out of tonight's game. ... Wright will play QB in the fourth quarter. If there isn't enough time for QB Tim Hasselback to get in, Coughlin said he'll play next week. ... Players from the Staten Island Pee Wee Football League will play at halftime, wearing NYPD and FDNY uniforms.

Daily News Specials

Kiwanuka's position: I'll get better

Sunday, August 12th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

The Mathias Kiwanuka experiment got off to a rough start last night - but at least it was a start.

In his first game at strong-side linebacker, the converted defensive end was shaky, especially against the run. But considering he had never played his new position in a game until last night, he's convinced he'll be much better soon.

"It was a good learning experience," Kiwanuka said. "I still have some work to do, but I feel good about getting the first live action under my belt. The more live action I get, the better it will be for me, the more comfortable I will become."

Kiwanuka didn't have any big lapses in pass coverage in the Giants' 24-21 loss to the Carolina Panthers, but he did get caught inside on several outside runs. It didn't help matters, of course, that the Giants were missing Michael Strahan, their best run-stopping defensive end, and that the Panthers seemed to run most of their plays to his side.

"Carolina did a lot of things that involved Kiwanuka," Tom Coughlin said. "You couldn't ask for a better learning experience than that. I think he responded well. It was a major learning experience for him, but he responded well."

BACKUPS SCRAMBLE: The battle of the backup quarterbacks was a bit of a bust, as Jared Lorenzen took an early, but unimpressive lead.

Lorenzen misfired on his first three passes and connected on only two of his first six. But he did rally to finish 6-for-13 for 75 yards, and he led the Giants on two touchdown drives. One of those drives ended with a 10-yard touchdown pass on a lob to the corner of the end zone that was caught by Anthony Mix.

Anthony Wright relieved Lorenzen in the third quarter but couldn't get the third-string offense going at all. He was just 5-of-11 for 49 yards.

LAVAR VISITS: Ex-Giant LB LaVar Arrington, who was involved in a serious motorcycle accident during the offseason, was in the Giants' locker room after the game. He looked slimmed down and had a cast on his right forearm. He said he's feeling well.

WALKING WOUNDED: WR Plaxico Burress (ankle), WR Amani Toomer (knee), DT Fred Robbins (calf), LS Ryan Kuehl (calf), CB Aaron Ross (glute/hamstring), LB Gerris Wilkinson (knee), CB E.J. Underwood (hip), S Michael Stone (hip), CB Travonti Johnson (hip), and OL Todd Londot (ankle) were all inactive last night.

RUN IS DONE: The loss snapped the Giants' seven-game preseason winning streak. ... The Giants return to training camp at the University at Albany with an afternoon practice tomorrow.

No defense for Big Blue

Strahan absence felt vs. Panthers

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Giants' former defensive coordinator, Tim Lewis, was on the Panthers' sideline last night, which is exactly where his old players wanted him. They're much happier playing for new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

They're just not much better, at least not yet.

Spagnuolo's new aggressive, attacking defense had an inauspicious debut as the Giants lost to the Carolina Panthers, 24-21, in their preseason opener at Giants Stadium. The Giants' starting defense - notably without Michael Strahan, of course - provided little resistance for the Panthers, surrendering a touchdown on the opening drive. It also was shredded by the Panthers on the ground.

"Things didn't go the way we wanted them to," said linebacker Antonio Pierce. "Opening up the preseason by letting the other team score a touchdown on their first drive is not good."

The touchdown - a 5-yard pass from Jake Delhomme to Steve Smith - wasn't the worst part of the Panthers' 81-yard, 13-play march. The worst part was the 55 rushing yards the Giants surrendered, including a 21-yard cutback by Nick Goings on which newly converted linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka got trapped too far inside.

By the time the starters left at the end of the first quarter, the Giants had given up 89 yards rushing - 52 of which came on two runs to the right, where Strahan normally would be.

"It's a process," Tom Coughlin said. "We had shoddy tackling, obviously."

"They got a couple of big runs on us, a couple of cutbacks on us, and that's not good," added defensive end Osi Umenyiora. "We have to get a lot better."

Meanwhile, the first-team offense wasn't much better. It did score a touchdown - a 7-yard strike from Eli Manning to Jeremy Shockey - but it was a gift off Derrick Ward's 67-yard kickoff return. In all, the first-string offense moved just 43 yards in 11 plays. Manning was 3-for-5 for 27 yards and Brandon Jacobs, in his first game as the starting running back, carried four times for 15 yards.

The defense, though, was the bigger concern. Even the backups struggled against the Panthers' second- and third-teamers. They let the Panthers march 73 yards for a touchdown in the final 54 seconds of the first half (thanks in large part to a personal foul by rookie safety Craig Dahl), then gave up an 85-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter from Brett Basanez to Taye Biddle (with Kevin Dockery and Dahl in coverage).

"We've got a lot of work to do," Pierce said. "We are still learning this new defense, but that's no excuse. We just need to go back and work hard so we can be better next week."

Related Articles

Construction is party pooper

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

The pregame party is over.

Football season began for Giants fans last night, but the ritual of pregame tailgating was restricted for the first time. Any fan who didn't buy a $150, pre-paid season parking pass from the Giants was restricted to a lot off the Meadowlands grounds, where tailgating was prohibited and Giants Stadium was a shuttle bus ride away.

The ban is the result of the construction that has overwhelmed the Meadowlands, where a new stadium is expected to be built by 2010. The construction has consumed 5,000 parking spaces.

Despite the distance and the tailgating ban, the price for off-site parking is $20 per game - $5 per game more than the on-site pass, which is only available to season-ticket holders.

Ralph Vacchiano

The wisdom of LT

Ex-Giant to Strahan: If heart's not in it, rush out door

Sunday, August 12th 2007, 11:25 PM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Lawrence Taylor isn't telling Michael Strahan what to do, but he knows that when you start thinking about retirement, it's time to retire.

"That's the one thing about retirement: Once you get it in your head, it's hard to get it out," Taylor said by phone. "Once you make that decision that you've had enough, man, it's hard to think of anything but retirement. When you don't love the game anymore, when you lose your will to play, you should just go ahead and retire."

LT planned to quit after the 1992 season, but after tearing his Achilles in the seventh game, he did not want his career to end that way. He came back for one more year. Taylor is the best player in Giants history. Strahan has had a Hall of Fame career. Their paths crossed in 1993 - LT's last and Strahan's first.

"He's had a great career," Taylor said. "One of the best the Giants have ever had. He's played top-notch football since he's been there. He's put in a lot of years and been one of the best players in the league for 14 years. That says a lot about him."

Several sources close to Strahan have maintained in the last few days they believe he is going to retire. Here are three reasons he might do just that, disregarding his passion for the game:

Money: Former Giants GM George Young always said that when they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. Strahan already has collected a $500,000 roster bonus and is due $4 million in salary. The Giants have no intention of giving him more. Strahan insisted in his letter to the fans last week that this is not a money issue. However, if the Giants upgraded his contract when he asked them in March, it's hard to imagine No. 92 would not be in camp. But he got his big contract five years ago and the Giants should not be obligated to pay for past performance for a nearly 36-year-old coming off a major foot injury.

Direction of the team: This does not look like a playoff year as rookie GM Jerry Reese did little to upgrade the roster in free agency. I've maintained that Reese and Tom Coughlin have conflicting agendas. Reese has a bit of a grace period to mold the roster. Coughlin must win now to keep his job. If the Giants are willing to deal Strahan, we hear the Broncos, Bucs and Titans would be interested. The perfect fit if Strahan asks to be traded to a contender? New England. Strahan, at the very least, could be a pass rush specialist for Bill Belichick with a great shot to get to the Super Bowl.

Coughlin: Tiki Barber continues to blast the Giants' coach. What are the chances he is the only one who feels this way? Strahan battled Coughlin early, then backed off.

Taylor held out of training camp until the Wednesday before the 1990 season opener in a contract dispute before signing a three-year $4.5 million deal. Five days later, he sacked Randall Cunningham three times. He was only 31 at the time. But LT pulled a hamstring in the third game of the season and he said it never healed correctly.

It's possible Strahan is looking to shorten training camp, but you have to wonder if missing most of it will make him more susceptible to injury. And he could use the time adapting to new coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's defense.

"Is training camp really important? Maybe from a mental aspect," Taylor said. "Guys stay in shape all year round. It's not the same game that I left. Nowadays, they don't even go in full gear. Training camp is for timing for quarterbacks and receivers, not for a defensive player. Strahan is like myself. After four or five years, you pretty much know the defense. You either rush inside, outside or straight through the man. If Strahan decides to return, he won't need much time to get ready."

Strahan is tied with LT for the Giants' all-time lead with 132.5 sacks. But that is misleading. Sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, LT's second year. So his 9.5 sacks his rookie year don't count in his official total. Asked how he feels about Strahan tying his record and inevitably breaking it if he returns, LT sounded like he'd rather talk about how he's hitting them on the golf course.

"I haven't followed football for a long time. Do I care what's in the Giants record books? I don't even read that record book. I don't even know what's in it," he said. "As long as people remember me as a player, I don't care what's in that book. They didn't count the sacks the first year, I had two strike years, I was suspended and I was hurt for one year. He's still got a little ways to go now. What I like about Strahan is he works hard, he's been a dominant player for so many years, he's very respectful and I like his game. I raised him his first year."

Taylor said Strahan has not called asking for career advice. "If you've got to ask somebody, then you don't know what you want," Taylor said. "Then just go ahead and keep playing. When it's time for you to go, you know it. You don't have to ask anybody."

Strahan leaves Giant void on 'D'

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 13th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

William Joseph

Converted tackle William Joseph plays defensive end as Michael Strahan holds out.

Strahan's status

Do you think Michael Strahan will play for the Giants this season?

Yes

No

* Read Ralph Vacchiano's The Blue Screen

Tom Coughlin said yesterday there were "no excuses, no explanations" for the performance of the Giants' run defense Saturday night. He also vowed to "get it cleaned up."

Unfortunately, the quickest way to fix the problem is still 2,500 miles away.

As the Giants return to training camp at the University at Albany this morning, Michael Strahan, their best run-stopper, will remain home in Hermosa Beach, Calif. His holdout hits 18 days today and his fines total $257,184. And according to sources who have spoken to the defensive end, he is no closer to making a decision on his future with the team.

That leaves Coughlin and new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo to plug their defensive holes with what they have. At least now they know the problems after the Panthers pushed the Giants' first-team unit around for 89 yards on eight first-quarter runs, including a couple of cutbacks that left half the defense out of position and two huge runs (for 52 yards) to Strahan's old side.

"(Strahan's absence) didn't cross my mind at the time," Coughlin said the day after the Giants opened the preseason with a 24-21 loss to Carolina at Giants Stadium. "I think you have to get the situation corrected with the team that's here on the field. Obviously just one guy is not going to completely answer any type of question. The group that's here has got to address this."

Coughlin said the problem, especially on the inability to recognize cutbacks, had nothing to do with the new defensive scheme. "It just has to do with guys looking at their first key and they're running like crazy, thinking that the ball is in one direction, not taking care of the back side," he said. What he didn't say was that on several of those runs, the back side is where Strahan would have been.

And though right end Osi Umenyiora is much improved, there isn't a defensive end on the roster - or maybe in the league - as good at recognizing and playing the run as the 35-year-old Strahan. The future Hall of Famer has been inundated with calls and text messages from his teammates, according to a source, telling him how much they need him.

If he wanted proof, all he really had to do was watch the first quarter of Saturday night's game.

There was at least one positive on the defense, according to Coughlin. Justin Tuck, the player who might end up replacing Strahan, performed well, although he was limited to only 12 plays. Tuck is recovering from surgery to repair a sprain to his left foot, but his recovery has progressed faster than Coughlin thought it would.

"He was coming off of a very serious injury and I didn't really know what to expect," Coughlin said. "He has greater endurance. He played hard (Saturday) night. For those 12 plays he did a good job."

A healthy Tuck definitely would help the defense, but there's still no viable replacement for Strahan, who was replaced in the lineup Saturday night by William Joseph, a converted defensive tackle. Unfortunately for the Giants, Strahan is still absent and doesn't appear to be very close to making up his mind.

Strahan leaves Giant void on 'D'

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 13th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Tom Coughlin said yesterday there were "no excuses, no explanations" for the performance of the Giants' run defense Saturday night. He also vowed to "get it cleaned up."

Unfortunately, the quickest way to fix the problem is still 2,500 miles away.

As the Giants return to training camp at the University at Albany this morning, Michael Strahan, their best run-stopper, will remain home in Hermosa Beach, Calif. His holdout hits 18 days today and his fines total $257,184. And according to sources who have spoken to the defensive end, he is no closer to making a decision on his future with the team.

That leaves Coughlin and new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo to plug their defensive holes with what they have. At least now they know the problems after the Panthers pushed the Giants' first-team unit around for 89 yards on eight first-quarter runs, including a couple of cutbacks that left half the defense out of position and two huge runs (for 52 yards) to Strahan's old side.

"(Strahan's absence) didn't cross my mind at the time," Coughlin said the day after the Giants opened the preseason with a 24-21 loss to Carolina at Giants Stadium. "I think you have to get the situation corrected with the team that's here on the field. Obviously just one guy is not going to completely answer any type of question. The group that's here has got to address this."

Coughlin said the problem, especially on the inability to recognize cutbacks, had nothing to do with the new defensive scheme. "It just has to do with guys looking at their first key and they're running like crazy, thinking that the ball is in one direction, not taking care of the back side," he said. What he didn't say was that on several of those runs, the back side is where Strahan would have been.

And though right end Osi Umenyiora is much improved, there isn't a defensive end on the roster - or maybe in the league - as good at recognizing and playing the run as the 35-year-old Strahan. The future Hall of Famer has been inundated with calls and text messages from his teammates, according to a source, telling him how much they need him.

If he wanted proof, all he really had to do was watch the first quarter of Saturday night's game.

There was at least one positive on the defense, according to Coughlin. Justin Tuck, the player who might end up replacing Strahan, performed well, although he was limited to only 12 plays. Tuck is recovering from surgery to repair a sprain to his left foot, but his recovery has progressed faster than Coughlin thought it would.

"He was coming off of a very serious injury and I didn't really know what to expect," Coughlin said. "He has greater endurance. He played hard (Saturday) night. For those 12 plays he did a good job."

A healthy Tuck definitely would help the defense, but there's still no viable replacement for Strahan, who was replaced in the lineup Saturday night by William Joseph, a converted defensive tackle. Unfortunately for the Giants, Strahan is still absent and doesn't appear to be very close to making up his mind.

Strahan holds out little hope

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 14th 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Even if Michael Strahan decides to return for one more season, he likely has seen the last of the University at Albany campus.

The defensive end, who enters the 19th day of his holdout today, is unlikely to report before the Giants break camp on Aug. 23, according to someone who spoke with Strahan over the weekend. He almost certainly will not report before the Giants play in Baltimore on Sunday, and after that there will only be three more days of camp.

According to the source, the 35-year-old seems no closer to making a decision. He is being fined $14,288 per day, meaning his total as of today is $271,472. If he doesn't show up before the end of camp, his fine total will reach $400,064.

That's almost all of the $500,000 roster bonus Strahan received during the spring.

Tom Coughlin said the Giants have not yet set a deadline for Strahan to make his decision, "but that subject it going to come up."

Meanwhile, Strahan's former/current teammates spent yesterday insisting that their subpar defensive performance in their 24-21 loss to Carolina on Saturday night was not directly related to Strahan's absence.

"That had absolutely nothing to do with Michael," DE Osi Umenyiora said. "(Strahan's replacement, William Joseph) was doing what he was supposed to do. We just made a couple of mistakes, period."

"That had nothing to do with it," LB Antonio Pierce added. "You hear the comments about William Joseph, but there are a lot of players that could've been more involved."

TUCK AND ROLL: DE Justin Tuck, who might be Strahan's eventual replacement, was elevated to the first team yesterday as Joseph moved back to the second team at DT. Tuck said his surgically repaired foot made it through the 12 plays he played Saturday night just fine. "The foot probably felt better after this game than it did after any practice in camp," Tuck said. "I was pleased." ... QB Jared Lorenzen hurt his ankle when he was hit during practice. It was not clear who hit him, but Coughlin was furious.

Eli finds comparison to brother Peyton has familiar ring

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - They were shooting a commercial together in Chattanooga, Tenn., during the offseason when Eli Manning caught a glimpse of his big brother's Super Bowl ring for the first time.

"It's nice," he said yesterday. "I didn't get too excited or gawk at it or anything. I just kind of nodded at it."

Of course, Eli Manning would like to have a little bling of his own to show off, but the way the Giants are constructed this season, he must take his game up a huge level and put up numbers like his brother to even have a shot at the playoffs. If his consistency and accuracy are ever going to improve, it must happen now.

There has been immense pressure on Manning since the day the Giants paid a huge price to the Chargers in the draft-day trade in 2004. Now he comes back this season without Tiki Barber's 2,127 yards from scrimmage; without his left tackle, Luke Petitgout, who was dumped, forcing David Diehl to play out of position; and, so far, without Michael Strahan, whose pass-rushing skills and ability to stop the run will be nearly impossible to duplicate if he retires.

Barber's retirement hurts Manning, of course, but not having Strahan hurts, too, because Manning might have to win shootout games to compensate for the defense. That will be hard without Barber, no matter how many linebackers Brandon Jacobs runs over. If Strahan doesn't return, then the Giants will go into the season without their two best players from this decade, which is difficult for any team to overcome.

So, as usual, it all comes back to Manning.

On the morning after the Super Bowl at his MVP news conference, Peyton Manning was asked about his brother, who has taken the Giants to the playoffs in each of his two seasons as the full-time starter, but each time been knocked out in the wild-card round.

"I think Eli is going to be fine," Peyton said. "There is no doubt in my mind he is a quarterback who will lead his team to a Super Bowl, probably more than one."

Eli heard about his brother's comments, although his brother never said it directly to him. But with Peyton winning a Super Bowl, it's just another comparison he will have to face, another bar set pretty high. He was happy for his brother that he won the Super Bowl, but now the pressure increases on him to do the same.

"You can't worry about comparisons," Manning said. "I'm just trying to worry about myself and the Giants. That's all I can do and all I need to worry about. As a quarterback, you have two different teams, two different systems and different players. You can't worry about what other guys are doing."

Eli clearly falls short in comparisons to his brother now, but you have to remember the criticism Peyton faced as well after his first three years in the league, which is where Eli is right now.

Here is where each stood after three years: Peyton: 26-22 record as starter, 0-2 in playoffs; Eli: 20-19 record, 0-2 in the playoffs. Peyton: 1,014 of 1,679 (60.4%) for 12,287 yards, 85 TDs, 58 INTs; Eli: 690 of 1,276 (54.1%) for 8,049 yards, 54 TDs, 44 INTs.

Then, in his fourth season, Peyton Manning's Colts didn't make the playoffs and after his fifth season lost 41-0 to the Jets in the wild-card round. It wasn't until his sixth year in the league that he won a playoff game.

And, it wasn't until his "ninth season," Eli Manning says, that he won the Super Bowl. But now that his brother has won it all, there is the implied pressure that it's time for Eli to do it, too.

"As a player, it's always your goal to get a championship," he said. "It's always going to be that way. I don't feel any different this year because he's got one. I was proud of him last year. I was excited about it. All I can do is try to improve myself, improve the Giants and worry about winning games."

He doesn't have Barber and that won't change. He needs Strahan, but the Giants are moving on without him, while hoping he shows up. Since Strahan already collected his $500,000 roster bonus and is due to make $4 million this season, the Giants have no intention of upgrading his contract. Strahan has said this is not a money issue anyway, so even if the Giants added incentives to his contract, that presumably would not influence Strahan's decision.

So, if it truly comes down to whether he wants to play, it's clear he wants no part of training camp. The Giants break camp one week from Thursday, so the most logical target date for his return is Aug. 27, which will give him two weeks to get ready for the opener.

But there are multiple sources who believe Strahan will not play again, that the longer this goes, the more comfortable he becomes with a life without football. Even in his absence, Strahan is still a dominating topic at camp, even if he's not quite the distraction Terrell Owens was with the Eagles,

It just puts more on Manning's plate. He knows that without Barber, he must become the leader of the offense. But, he says, "you can't change the way you do things. You can't be fake."

It has to be real, just like the ring on his brother's finger.

Kiwanuka in rush

Finds LB tough spot to tackle

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

ALBANY - Mathias Kiwanuka knew there would be nights like the one he had Saturday, when the game seemed like it was moving a little too fast and more than a few times he seemed out of position. After watching the films, though, he said it wasn't all bad.

In fact, the newly converted linebacker left the film room feeling pretty good.

"I'm not discouraged at all," Kiwanuka said yesterday after returning to Giants camp at the University at Albany. "I feel very positive that I can get all those things corrected by the time the season rolls around. There's a lot of positives. This is nowhere near where I would've been if this was still minicamp. I understand that I've made a lot of great strides."

Considering Kiwanuka was a defensive end all his life until the coaches handed him a linebacker's playbook six months ago, the 24-year-old has come a long way in a short time. But with the season opener just 27 days away, time is running short for the Giants' starting short-side linebacker.

And despite the positives, Kiwanuka knows there were a slew of negatives, too. He was too aggressive at times, especially when defending the run. He would over-pursue, which allowed the Carolina Panthers to take advantage with cut-backs. On two first-quarter runs in particular, the Panthers' DeShaun Foster and Nick Goings combined for 52 yards.

Both rushes - and many of the others during the 25 snaps Kiwanuka played - were to his side.

"It's one of those things where your instinct is to go get the ball," Kiwanuka said. "You've got to realize you've got to be patient. There's a lot of different rules for each different position and you've got to understand what they are. Once you get in a game situation and you see the speed of the game and how a player can cut back like that, it makes you more in tune to playing like that."

Not all of the yardage was Kiwanuka's fault, of course. In fact, middle linebacker Antonio Pierce insisted that those who blame Kiwanuka "don't know nothing about football and our defense. We have 10 other guys besides the one guy on the edge who can make a play. It was not one player's responsibility."

Still, on many of the runs it was Kiwanuka's duty to be in position to contain the play. Of course, the problem is that Kiwanuka never had been in those situations before as a linebacker. The only position other than defensive end he had ever played was tight end, which he did part-time as a senior in high school. The Giants decided to convert him to linebacker in February as a way to get him on the field - a decision they made presuming Michael Strahan still would be on the team.

Even though Strahan now has been absent for the first 18 days of training camp, the Giants still are proceeding as if he will return eventually, which means Kiwanuka is still preparing to play the 2007 season at his new spot. The best help he can get is what he got Saturday night - playing time, followed by a film session.

"It definitely was an experience thing," Kiwanuka said. "That's what these preseason games are for, especially for a guy who had to change positions. I take it as a good experience."

Sprained ankle hampering WR Burress

Associated Press, Updated 4 hours ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Plaxico Burress is no Jeremy Shockey, at least when it comes to playing on a bad ankle in training camp.

Shockey pushed himself a year ago on a sprained ankle, and it ended up bothering him during the New York Giants' regular season.

Burress isn't making the same mistake. The veteran receiver hasn't practiced since spraining his right ankle on Aug. 2. His hours on the field at the University at Albany over the last 12 days have been spent either watching Eli Manning and the offense work or riding a stationary bike.

"I am going into my eighth year," Burress said Tuesday. "I pretty much know what to expect from myself, and they know what to expect from me. I know where to be at. I'll just return to my job. Like I said, it's like riding a bike. You get out there and do what you do."

While Burress is seemingly not worried, coach Tom Coughlin is concerned his top receiver and Manning will be off with their timing when the season opens in Dallas on Sept. 9.

Burress, though, downplayed the concern. He insisted he would need only a couple of days to get his timing down with Manning.

However, the ankle needs to get better. Burress can run straight ahead, but he can't make the quick moves that allow him to get open.

"There is no need for me to go out there if I am playing with pain, just to get through training camp," Burress said. "It makes no sense. My objective is to get all the soreness out and play pain free."

Burress said there is still soreness and he won't return until it's gone.

"I don't want to have another setback right now," he said. "I just want to heal it up the first time and not worry about it lingering and having it nag me through the regular season."

Burress played with a nagging injury to his left ankle last season, then had surgery on it in the offseason to remove bone spurs. The operation limited Burress' work and the coaching staff only let him practice once a day when training camp opened.

"You just keep fighting every day to get better," said Burress, who said this was his first sprained ankle. "When my ankle heals, I'll be out there. It's not frustrating for me at all. You just try to find a way to make your teammates better."

Manning also didn't think it would take more than a week or two for him to get his timing down with Burress, who had 63 catches for a career-high 10 touchdowns last season.

"We just have to work on some new things we are putting in and me reading his body and being on the same page with everything," Manning said.

If there is a positive for the Giants, the injury has allowed Manning more time to throw to second-year pros Sinorice Moss and Michael Jennings, and occasionally to rookie Steve Smith.

Burress said Smith, the second-round pick from Southern California, plays like a veteran.

"He just makes plays that rookies don't make in this league," Burress said. "He has good hands, but he has tremendous ball skills. He can locate a ball over the inside shoulder, outside shoulder, in between traffic, and he can bring it in."

Once Burress is healthy and back in shape, he plans to contribute, too.

"I know where to be at the right time," he said. "It's basically me getting out there, running full speed and catching footballs."