SportsWrath

2007 NY Giants Articles and Video

jerseygiantfan

Giants win just in time to make playoffs

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 55 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - The New York Giants completed a rollercoaster ride to the playoffs on Sunday, earning the final NFC wild card berth when St. Louis, Houston and Carolina posted victories.

The Giants (8-8) will play at Philadelphia, which won the NFC East title when Dallas lost to Detroit.

New York virtually assured itself of back-to-back postseason appearances for the first time since 1989-90 when it defeated the Washington Redskins 34-28 on Saturday night. The win was only the Giants' second in their final eight games.

The playoff appearance was guaranteed when Houston defeated Cleveland 14-6 and Carolina knocked off New Orleans 31-21. The results assured New York it would beat Green Bay had they finished tied.

"My football career hopefully has four more games in it," Giants retiring halfback Tiki Barber said Saturday night after rushing for a team-record 234 yards and three touchdowns. "The rest of my life is starting soon and I'm excited about that, I really am. It's better to leave wanting more than them kicking you out."

The last time a .500 team made the playoffs was in 2004 when St. Louis and Minnesota both qualified with 8-8 records. They both won in the first round, too: the Rams beat Seattle 27-20 and Minnesota surprised Green Bay 31-17.

Last season, no team made the playoffs with a record worse than 10-6. The Giants won the NFC East with an 11-5 mark.

NFL playoff schedule

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

FOXSports.com

Posted: 13 hours ago

Wild-card Playoffs

All Times EST

Saturday, Jan. 6

Kansas City at Indianapolis, 4:30 p.m. (NBC)

Dallas at Seattle, 8 p.m. (NBC)

Sunday, Jan. 7

New York Jets at New England, 1 p.m. (CBS)

New York Giants at Philadelphia, 4:30 p.m. (FOX)

Divisional Playoffs

Saturday, Jan. 13

AFC game, TBA (CBS)

NFC game, TBA (FOX)

Sunday, Jan. 14

AFC game, TBA (CBS)

NFC game, TBA (FOX)

Conference Championships

Sunday, Jan. 21

AFC game, TBA (CBS)

NFC game, TBA (FOX)

Super Bowl

Sunday, Feb. 4

at Miami

AFC Champion vs. NFC Champion, 6 p.m. (CBS)

Giant bravado from Big Blue

Resolution is for Super run

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tiki Barber takes a bow as he scores one of his three TDs that save Giants' season Saturday and have Big Blue talking big for playoffs.

Three days before the Giants would sneak into the NFC playoffs, Brandon Jacobs delivered a bold proclamation to the media. "People that are seeded higher should be worried about the New York Giants," he insisted.

At the time, even some of his teammates rolled their eyes.

But after their 34-28 win over the Redskins on Saturday night, they don't find those words all that outrageous anymore.

"I think it would be a mistake by anyone to not take us seriously," said guard Chris Snee. "We won eight football games. We're in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if anyone thinks we deserve to be in. We know that we deserve to be in."

And now that they are in as just the eighth 8-8 team in NFL history to make the playoffs, the Giants have no intention of making it a short trip. They'll head to Philadelphia on Sunday for their wild-card game against the Eagles (10-6) brimming with confidence - something they haven't had since they were 6-2 back on Nov. 5.

Since then, they've lost six of eight games and didn't know for sure they had made the playoffs until around 4 p.m. yesterday, when they heard that Carolina and Houston had won.

One win, though, was enough to make them feel they're headed to the postseason on a roll.

"It is a start," Tiki Barber said, a few minutes after his franchise-record, 234-yard rushing performance. "We hope it is. The NFL is all about momentum and most importantly about confidence. We haven't had a lot to be confident about over the last seven weeks or so.

"But now I think we've established that. It's easy to say that we still don't have it, but we believe that we do. And that's all that matters."

Added Tom Coughlin, "It doesn't take a whole lot, sometimes, to get the thing going the way you want it to go."

Having said that, Coughlin is still very cautious about all the big talk coming out of his players. He wasn't thrilled when his team was openly talking about a Super Bowl run, then stumbled out of the gate with an opening-night loss to the Colts.

The last thing he wants is for their talk to overshadow their actions as they prepare for a third game this season against the Eagles (they split the regular-season series). Remember, it took a miraculous comeback from a 24-7 fourth-quarter deficit for the Giants to beat them in Philadelphia on Sept. 17 (30-24 in overtime), and then they lost to them at Giants Stadium, 36-22, just two weeks ago.

"It is a very good attitude," Coughlin said. "I think it reflects a seriousness in terms of the approach. But again, I'm old school in that regard. I'm talking about 'Don't tell me. Show me.' Production and performance are the key."

That's a lesson the Pittsburgh Steelers learned last season, when they became the first team in NFL history to win three playoff games on the road and then win the Super Bowl, too.

"At one point during the season people were talking about how they were a soft team," said fullback Jim Finn. "At the end of the year they caught some momentum and they dominated the whole playoffs. We're definitely capable of it."

Of course, those Steelers were 11-5 and had won their last four regular-season games. The hot team on the field on Sunday won't be the Giants, who haven't won two straight since Oct. 29 and Nov. 5. It'll be the Eagles, who have won five straight.

"But that's the thing - confidence is a large part of this game and we were severely lacking that," Snee said. "To be able to come out (against the Redskins), run the ball, put points on the board and do all the things that we weren't able to do the past couple of weeks, it's a step.

"We have to take that a step further next week."

Looking ahead

2006 RESULTS

Sept 17: Giants 30, Eagles 24, OT (in Philadelphia).

Dec. 17: Eagles 36, Giants 22 (in East Rutherford).

PLAYERS TO WATCH

QB Jeff Garcia: 116-for-188, 1,309 yards, 10 TDs, 2 INTs in six starts.

RB Brian Westbrook: 240 carries, 1,214 yards, 7 TDs; 76 catches, 670 yards, 4 TDs.

MLB Jeremiah Trotter: 112 tackles.

DE Trent Cole: 8 sacks.

KEY MATCHUP

RB Tiki Barber vs. Trotter: Barber has had no success running against the Eagles this year, gaining just 126 yards on 40 carries in two games. Trotter is the key to their run defense and Barber's biggest nemesis.

STORYLINES

Garcia has been one of the NFL's best QBs since taking over for the injured Donovan McNabb. He was efficient against the Giants three weeks ago (19-for-28, 237 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), and obviously the Giants' secondary is vulnerable.

Can Eli Manning snap out of it and salvage his dismal season?

TE Jeremy Shockey (ankle) is iffy, which will put more pressure on Barber to have a big game.

The Giants' last three postseason games were their Super Bowl blowout in '00, their San Francisco collapse in '02, and their Carolina debacle in '05. Yuck.

SCOUTING REPORT

Westbrook is the Eagles' engine, and if anyone finds a way to stop him they can stop the entire team. But Garcia can't be underestimated. He's still very mobile and has been incredibly accurate. Their defense isn't what it used to be, though. They were giving up 134.9 rushing yards per game before yesterday. Even with Trotter on the field, Barber should be licking his chops.

Ralph Vacchiano

Originally published on January 1, 2007

Giants first .500 team in playoffs since 2004

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants completed a roller-coaster ride to the playoffs on Sunday, earning the final NFC wild-card berth and a third game with the NFC East champion Philadelphia Eagles.

The Giants beat Washington Saturday night to finish 8-8 and virtually assure themselves a playoff spot. They officially got their postseason ticket punched when St. Louis, Houston and Carolina posted wins in early games on Sunday. They actually only needed a win by the Rams or the two by the Texans and Panthers.

The matchup with the Eagles in Philadelphia was set up minutes later when Dallas lost to Detroit, handing the Eagles the NFC East title. The game will be played at 4:30 p.m. ET Sunday.

"It's an exciting thing to be in the playoffs, and to be playing against the Eagles just makes it even more exciting," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said in a conference call late Sunday afternoon.

The Giants and Eagles split their two regular-season meetings, with each winning on the other's field.

New York rallied from a 24-7 fourth-quarter deficit in the second week of the season and posted a 30-24 overtime win in Philadelphia on Sept. 17. The Eagles returned the favor Dec. 17, riding a 22-point fourth-quarter and the outstanding play of quarterback Jeff Garcia to a 36-22 win at Giants Stadium.

"We certainly do know each other," Coughlin said. "There is going to be tremendous information gathering right now as we put this thing together."

The Eagles will be favored, considering the Giants won twice in their final eight games and Philadelphia rallied in the final month to win the division.

The only reason the Giants reached the playoffs in consecutive years for the first time since 1989 and '90 was that the NFC was so weak this season.

"We've already jumped over the hurdle about being here and I think that is the important thing," Coughlin said about backing in. "Underdogs. Whatever. We'll draw strength from anything we can. Now we are appreciative of the fact that we were able to get in with an 8-8 record."

The last time a .500 team made the playoffs was in 2004, when St. Louis and Minnesota qualified. They both won in the first round, too: The Rams beat Seattle 27-20 and Minnesota surprised Green Bay 31-17.

Last season, no team made the playoffs with a record worse than 10-6. The Giants won the NFC East with an 11-5 mark.

The playoff game could be very important for Coughlin, who has been under fire. There are some who feel he needs to win a playoff game to remain as coach.

"I'm not talking about anything that has to do with that," Coughlin said. "I've not even thought one thought about that. I'm focused on trying to find a way for us to win and that's where I'll continue to focus."

“ We've already jumped over the hurdle about being here and I think that is the important thing. Underdogs. Whatever. We'll draw strength from anything we can. ”

— Giants coach Tom Coughlin

The playoffs are a sore point for some Giants followers. New York played its worst game last season in losing 23-0 to Carolina in the opening round of the playoffs.

Coughlin does not know whether Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey will be able to play next weekend. He hurt his ankle last week in a loss to New Orleans and did not accompany the team to Washington so he could continue treatment.

Making the playoffs also assured that Tiki Barber will have at least one more game before heading off into retirement.

Barber carried the Giants into the playoffs on Saturday night, rushing for a team-record 234 yards and three touchdowns in the win over Washington.

Coughlin could not remember someone doing so much under those circumstances.

"I do know you would certainly like to have that follow you forever, that on the night that was the 16th game of the season and your team had an opportunity if they won to possibly be in the playoffs, to have that kind of performance is just incredible."

The performance coincided with Coughlin's decision to let quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride replace offensive coordinator John Hufnagel in making the play calls.

Coughlin said Sunday that Hufnagel has left the team.

Barber, meanwhile, was looking forward to an improbable Super Bowl run.

"My football career hopefully has four more games in it," Barber said Saturday. "The rest of my life is starting soon and I'm excited about that, I really am. It's better to leave wanting more than them kicking you out."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Eli's slump for the Birds

Blue: QB will improve

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Eli Manning and Giants look to calm fears of slump after struggling quarterback ends regular season with another dud Saturday night in Washington.

Tiki Barber carried the Giants when they needed it most on Saturday night.

Now they're hoping Eli Manning can step up and do the same.

There hasn't been much evidence of that in what has been a disappointing second half of the season for the Giants' quarterback, who turns 26 tomorrow. He ended the regular season on a down note in Washington Saturday night, completing just 12 of 26 passes (46%) for only 101 yards in the Giants' 34-28 win.

But Tom Coughlin is sure he saw signs that Manning is improving. If he's right, with a first-round playoff game in Philadelphia coming on Sunday, the timing couldn't be better for Manning to emerge.

"I thought he managed the game very well," Coughlin said. "He did a lot of good things with the run game. He did a lot of going back and forth between run and pass, recognized the blitz, particularly in the first half, very well and was very much into the game and heady as far as that goes.

"The thing that would really make this whole situation that much (better), obviously - and he would tell you this himself - is if that (26) passes thrown had like 20 completions. I think we can improve in that area. We certainly would like to have a higher percentage."

That's been a theme of Manning's 2-1/2 seasons as the starter. The Giants thought he had his accuracy problem fixed when he completed 67% of his passes in the first four games of this season. But he regressed, completing only 54% over the final 12.

Things got worse in his final two games - a 30-7 loss to New Orleans and the win in Washington - when he completed just 41% of his passes (21-of-51) for a measly 175 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. If Barber hadn't rushed for a career-best 234 yards against the Redskins, would Coughlin still have been happy with Manning's game?

The Giants hope this season-ending slump for the struggling young quarterback won't turn into the disaster that last year's became - when he bottomed out by completing just 10 of 18 passes for 113 yards and three interceptions in a 23-0 playoff loss at home to the Carolina Panthers. Most of that hope stems from Coughlin's decision to strip the play-calling duties from deposed offensive coordinator John Hufnagel and hand them to quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride, the assistant coach who knows Manning best.

The sample was small on Saturday night, but it did appear as if Gilbride fixed two Hufnagel errors that, in the short run, might help Manning. First, and most importantly, he relied on the running game, though Barber made that choice easy with 137 first-half yards.

Gilbride also appeared to be managing his quarterback, whose longest completion was 14 yards. Hufnagel favored low-percentage, long-range passes. That's a dangerous game to play with a quarterback who has lost his confidence and has a completion percentage hovering around 50%.

Maybe the adjustments will help when the Giants play the Eagles - a team Manning has had mixed results against. Despite facing an unrelenting blitz - the Eagles sacked him eight times on Sept. 17 - Manning has completed 71% of his passes against Philly this season, and 63% against them in five career starts. He has had two three-touchdown games against them, including that Sept. 17 game when he threw for 371 yards and rallied the Giants from 17 points down in the fourth quarter to win in overtime.

But he also threw two terrible interceptions - including one that was returned for a game-sealing touchdown after he misjudged a blitzing cornerback - in a 36-22 loss on Dec. 17.

"We'll certainly draw upon elements of both games," Coughlin said. "We'll look at the real good teaching and learning experiences."

The Eagles said they'll be gunning for the young quarterback - "Get him rattled and his game goes downhill," said Eagles defensive end Trent Cole - and they have proven in two games this season that they know how to shut down Barber (40 carries, 126 yards). So whatever those lessons are that Coughlin teaches this week, the Giants may need Manning to learn them fast.

Originally published on January 2, 2007

CRYING WOOF

TO KNOCK OFF HOT PHILLY, GIANTS MUST BELIEVE THEY'RE 'DOGS OUT-MANN-ED:

For Eli Manning, who has drastically regressed this season, and the rest of the Giants, drawing from their emotions and thinking of themselves as underdogs may be the only way to beat the Eagles, because ability alone is not going to get it done. January 2, 2007 -- TOM Coughlin says he has no plans to go hard and heavy with the underdog theme as the Giants at 8-8 prepare to face the white-hot Eagles, deserving NFC East champions, Sunday afternoon down in their own Philly lair.

Big mistake.

If ever there was an underdog heading into the playoffs, it's the Giants, and Coughlin needs to hammer that mindset home every chance he gets. Not to deflate his club, but to inspire it.

"I don't know if it will be any kind of psychological advantage to take any approach along those lines," Coughlin said. "We've already jumped over the hurdle about being here and I think that's the important thing. Underdogs, whatever, we'll draw strength from anything we can."

For the Giants to have even the slightest chance to pull off what would be a gigantic upset, they need to draw from a reservoir that might be nearly drained. They must lean on their emotions, because ability alone is not going to get it done. Not without Michael Strahan and Amani Toomer and Luke Petitgout and LaVar Arrington, and possibly without Jeremy Shockey. And, certainly not with erratic Eli Manning, whose nickname should be Shaky, not Easy, and not with a diminished defense that simply cannot inflict its will on anyone.

The Giants, in the parlance of those in the biz, need to play above the Xs and 0s, which is a highfalutin way of saying they have to be better than what they actually are. The two main stumbling blocks for the Giants to high-step over are Manning's continuing struggles and the glaring defensive shortcomings. It's a combination that leads to failure.

Think of how drastically Manning has regressed. Of the 11 other playoff quarterbacks, who elicits less confidence than Eli? Old men Jeff Garcia and Steve McNair? Young gun Philip Rivers? Untested Tony Romo? Surgically-repaired Chad Pennington? The only quarterback who appears as stunningly incapable of leading a playoff surge is Rex Grossman, but he has the luxury of a dominating Bears defense to fall back on.

Not so the Giants. There is no sense waiting or even hoping for a huge defensive stand from this group. Man for man, scheme for scheme, any way you cut it, this is not the Big Blue Wrecking Crew of years gone by. More like the Big Blue Yielding Crew. Without Strahan, defensive coordinator Tim Lewis has been completely baffled trying to create even a hint of pressure on opposing quarterbacks. He's hardly dealing off a stacked deck but another formula is needed, or else the back line will continue to be exploited. When young Jason Campbell throws for 220 yards and the Redskins amass 393 total yards and 28 points, it's time for something new.

"Anyone can see that the pressure is not on the passer the way you'd like it to be," Coughlin said in an understatement.

"There's just too much time back there."

Any 8-8 team entering the playoffs is too flawed to take seriously, but it's difficult to give the Giants even a puncher's chance.

The only reason they won in Washington was because Tiki Barber rushed for a franchise-record 234 yards and three touchdowns, two on virtuoso bursts of 55 and 50 yards. Manning was again suspect, despite Coughlin's faint praise about him doing "a lot of good things with the run game" by recognizing blitzes and calling the appropriate plays. Not enough.

The Eagles know the deal. They harassed Manning into two interceptions two weeks ago and can see as clearly as anyone that any confidence the guy has can be scared right out of him with a few good licks. Or even the threat of a few good licks. That's why when Philly defensive end Trent Cole says, "We can get him rattled ... and his game starts going downhill," it sounds more like stating the obvious than any bulletin board material.

No, the Giants cannot rely on Manning or their defense to get out of the Linc alive. They need some other plan. They need to believe the Birds are 61/2-point favorites for a reason, because the home team is the better team, and act accordingly. Coughlin isn't skilled at turning a message into a cause. Without it, his Giants have no shot.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

Shockey may play Sunday vs. Eagles

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 16 hours ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Jeremy Shockey's swollen left ankle has improved considerably and there is a good chance the Pro Bowl tight end will play for the New York Giants on Sunday in the NFC wild card game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I want to play every Sunday," Shockey said Wednesday. "I felt bad I couldn't play last week. It's the nature of this sport, being hurt. You have to deal with the injuries. It's the one thing I don't deal with very well. It's getting better every day and hopefully I'll be able to do something this week."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said that Shockey, who had a team-high 66 catches for 623 yards and seven touchdowns, would do some individual work Wednesday and possibly practice on Thursday.

Shockey was hurt late in the fourth quarter against New Orleans on Dec. 24when New Orleans safety Jay Bellamy dove into his ankles before a pass by Eli Manning reached him.

There was no penalty on the play and Saints cornerback Fred Thomas intercepted the ball.

Shockey yelled at Bellamy after the play but he refused to say it was a cheap shot when asked about it Wednesday.

"It's football," said Shockey, who added that his ankle was still sore.

Visanthe Shiancoe started for Shockey last weekend and had one catch for 8 yards in the 34-28 win over Washington that helped the Giants (8-8) nail a playoff berth.

Shockey was bothered by a sprained ankle in the Giants' 30-24 overtime win over the Eagles on Sept. 17. He caught two passes for 17 yards, sitting out most of the fourth quarter and the overtime. The five-year veteran matched his season high with eight catches for 70 yards in Philadelphia's 36-22 win here on Dec. 17.

"This is definitely a game that's got some significance," Shockey said. "It's always a battle. These guys won the division this year. They are the champs of our division. We give them all the respect in the world. They've got great players. It's really not about them. It's about us. Us playing well together and giving ourselves a chance to win. That's what were going to do this week."

They're from N.Y., but Jets, Giants totally differentBy

Greg Garber

ESPN.com

Archive

In theory, anyway, the co-tenants of Giants Stadium are on equal footing as they venture into Sunday playoff games against division rivals on the road.

The Giants play the Philadelphia Eagles for the third time this season and the Jets have a similar, oppressively familiar meeting with the New England Patriots. Both teams qualified for the playoffs on the last Sunday of the regular season. It's the fourth time in 22 seasons that these two teams from the same building have reached the postseason in the same year.

But that's where the similarities end. The atmosphere surrounding these two teams could not be more different.

"It's kind of like a new life," Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce said after the Giants defeated the Washington Redskins, 34-28, on Saturday night. "All that talk about whether the Giants are going to make it -- well, they did."

Barely. After winning six of their first eight games and inspiring Super Bowl hopes, the Giants went 2-6 in the second half. They are only the eighth team in NFL history to make the playoffs with an 8-8 record. They didn't officially gain the playoffs until late Sunday afternoon, when they learned the Texans and Panthers had won their games. There was no Gatorade shower for head coach Tom Coughlin, who may not be around when the Giants arrive in Albany for training camp in 2007.

Relief seems to be the dominant emotion in the locker room of the Giants, who have struggled with more than their share of injuries. That's not the case for the other New York team. Rather than feeling like they dodged a bullet, the Jets are rising, with a bullet.

At Giants Stadium, after the Jets dispatched the Oakland Raiders 23-3, Kerry Rhodes, Eric Barton and Jonathan Vilma borrowed a play from the Giants' playbook, circa the mid-'80s. In a serious breach of protocol, they doused rookie head coach Eric Mangini with Gatorade and were rewarded with a hint of a smile and permission, for the first time this season, to use the P-word.

"I was just waiting for the clock to run down so I could start using the word 'playoffs,' " said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery. "I'm about to wear that word out."

The Jets, 2-3 after a horrific 41-0 loss to Jacksonville in early October, rallied to win eight of their final 11 and three straight at the end when it mattered most. This was quite a surprise to the many prognosticators who saw the Jets winning four or five games, at best.

Regardless of the outcomes on Sunday, these are teams headed in opposite directions. A brief tale-of-tape examination:

Al Bello/Getty Images

First-year coach Eric Mangini took a 4-12 Jets team and made it a playoff team.Head coach: After New Orleans' Sean Payton, Eric Mangini is probably most deserving of Coach of the Year honors. The 35-year-old was the Patriots' defensive coordinator under head coach Bill Belichick last season and took the Jets job, presumably against the advice of Belichick, who was once, very briefly, the Jets head coach. Must-see highlight: The Belichick-Mangini Postgame Handshake III.

"I respect and appreciate all of the things he's done for me throughout the course of my career, and that's never going to change," Mangini said on Monday. "It will probably be a busy week down here. There will probably be some questions I've answered before."

Outgoing Jets coach Herm Edwards was a players' coach, which means discipline was not always the first priority. Mangini immediately changed the chemistry and during training camp it was obvious the players were struggling with his authority.

"It's exciting, because it's been a long road for us," Mangini said. "Believe me, they will tell you how hard the work has been. I'm proud of them."

The Jets improved six games from last year's 4-12 mark and, while critics noted that they were only 2-4 against teams with winning records, there is already talk that Mangini's relatively meager four-year contract that calls for $1.75 million per season may be upgraded. After Edwards made the playoffs with a 10-6 record as a rookie head coach six years ago, he got an improved deal.

Coughlin, 59 and old enough to be Mangini's father, is just hoping he has a contract for next season. An old-school, on-the-clock administrator, Coughlin led the Giants to an 11-5 record last season. But a surprising first-round playoff loss -- 23-0 to the Panthers -- raised questions.

This season, bold criticism from running back Tiki Barber and tight end Jeremy Shockey underlined questions about Coughlin's ability to motivate his players. At times, the Giants have been undisciplined, even reckless, and oddly dispassionate. Coughlin, who nevertheless became the first coach to take the Giants to back-to-back playoff berths since 1989-90, is a middling 25-24 in his three seasons with them.

"I'm not talking about anything that has to do with that," Coughlin said when reporters asked him about his job status. "I've not even thought once about that."

AP Photo/George Widman

Giants QB Eli Manning's lack of improvement continues to hurt the Giants.Quarterback: Is there any player more deserving of the Comeback Player of the Year award than Chad Pennington?

Pennington, coming off serious shoulder surgery for the second straight season, played in all 16 games for the first time in his seven seasons with the Jets. He had a terrific year, completing 64.5 percent of his passes, and carrying the Jets' offense, which features two rookie starters on the offensive line and a rookie running back.

"After what I have been through," Pennington said, "I try not to take anything for granted, ever."

Manning, on the other hand, could be voted the NFL's Step-Back Player of the Year.

He threw 24 touchdown passes this season, but there were times when his already-suspect mechanics seemed to deteriorate even more. With the season on the line in the last two games, Manning is 21-for-51 and 174 yards. On a critical third-and-10 late against the Redskins, Kevin Gilbride asked Manning to hand the ball off to Barber, who was dropped three yards short of a first down.

General manager: After a long and distinguished career as an NFL administrator, the Giants' Ernie Accorsi, 65, is retiring.

He was widely viewed as the league's executive of the year in 2005, but the decisions to hire Coughlin and make the trade that brought Manning to the Giants in 2004 are questionable in retrospect. Ask the Chargers whether they'd trade back Pro Bowl quarterback Philip Rivers for Manning.

Jerry Reese, the Giants' director of player personnel, is the leading in-house candidate, while Charley Casserly, the former GM of the Redskins and Texans, and Patriots vice president of personnel Scott Pioli are among the outside candidates.

The Jets' Mike Tannenbaum is a rookie GM who is only 37 years old and in his 10th season with the team. Draft choices OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, C Nick Mangold and RB Leon Washington have all performed exceedingly well.

Running back: Curtis Martin gained more than 14,000 yards in a dozen NFL seasons, but at the age of 33 there was no tread left on his tires. He never made it onto the field for the Jets.

Washington, a fourth-round pick out of Florida State, helped fill the void, carrying 151 times for 650 yards and four touchdowns. He was the lead horse in the Jets' three-headed attack that also featured Cedric Houston (113-for-374, five TDs) and Kevan Barlow (131-for-370, six TDs). Add it all up and you get a respectable 1,394 yards and 15 touchdowns.

The Giants, of course, are losing Barber after a terrific 10-year career. He set a franchise single-game record by rushing for 234 yards against the Redskins in what could have been the last game of his career. Barber, who hasn't backed off his decision to retire, ran for 1,662 yards and five TDs. He leaves the game with numbers that approach Hall of Fame quality.

So yes, they're both from New York, but that's about the only thing the Jets and Giants have in common. And nothing that can happen in the playoffs can change that.

Greg Garber is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Giants letting Birds chirp

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

'We talked a little earlier in the preseason about the Super Bowl. Then in the regular season we talked about this team and it got us nowhere. It got us 8-8. And everybody's been on us about talking so much.' - Antonio Pierce

The Giants have heard all the trash-talk coming out of Philadelphia this week, and naturally they've been itching to respond.

But somehow they've managed to go almost an entire week with their big mouths shut. "Hopefully we're focused on playing, not on talking," said Giants linebacker Brandon Short. "We're not on any debate team here."

It had to be difficult for the Giants (8-8) not to join the debate with the Eagles (10-6) heading into their playoff game on Sunday afternoon. The one thing these Giants have been consistently good at all year is talking a very good game. Often they talk a better game than they play.

Yet when Eagles defensive end Trent Cole said, "We can get (Eli Manning) rattled. You get him rattled and his game starts going downhill," the Giants simply smiled and said they would do their best to protect their quarterback. When the Eagles said they'd put a "bull's-eye" on Tiki Barber and Brian Dawkins said their defense planned to be "dominating," all the Giants said was, "We'll see."

"We talked a little earlier in the preseason about the Super Bowl," Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce said. "Then in the regular season we talked about this team and it got us nowhere. It got us 8-8. And everybody's been on us about talking so much. This is about going out and playing the way we want to play. Hopefully we'll let our play do the talking."

That was a message Tom Coughlin tried to get into their heads after their opening night loss, when he implored his players to stop talking about their Super Bowl dreams. But in the ensuing weeks, the talking didn't stop. Pierce talked about the Giants believing they were a "top five defense." Plaxico Burress ripped the Bears' secondary and called Terrell Owens a "coward." Some offensive players constantly said they were too talented to be stopped by any defense, even though they often were.

Even when the Giants' playoff fates were hanging in the balance before their win in Washington, running back Brandon Jacobs insisted, "People seeded higher should be worried about the New York Giants right now." And after their shaky, playoff-clinching win over the Redskins, guard Chris Snee summed up the feeling of his teammates when he said, "I think it would be a mistake by anyone to not take us seriously."

But this week, despite all the prompting by the Eagles, there's been nothing. Not a chirp or a peep out of the Giants' locker room. "If that's the case with our guys," Coughlin said, "then it's a nice lesson we're learning."

"There's no time for us to talk right now," Pierce added. "We got where we want to be. We dealt with all the critics and everybody questioning what we can do. Now we're in the playoffs so we're going to show what we can do."

Still, that hasn't stopped the Eagles from giving the Giants' plenty of extra motivation and ammunition. But will it help? Do the Giants even care about any of the things their rivals are saying? "It makes lunch time interesting, but once the game starts I don't think it really matters," said center Shaun O'Hara. "They won the division, so you wouldn't think they'd feel the need to trash-talk. But I think they do that as more of a way to get themselves psyched up."

"It doesn't matter, honestly," Short added. "People will talk and it has no ramifications or impact on the game. You can be talking and be able to back it up, or you can be talking and get your (butt) kicked.

"I'd much rather not get into that and talk with our shoulder pads."

Originally published on January 5, 2007

Giants at Eagles

Preview | Game Trax | Depth Chart | Head-to-Head | Fantasy Focus

TICKETS: Giants | Eagles

TV: FOX

Less than two months ago, it seemed the Philadelphia Eagles' playoff hopes were lost and the New York Giants were a favorite to reach the Super Bowl.

Now, Philadelphia is possibly the league's hottest team entering the postseason and New York hardly deserves to be a part of it.

Jeff Garcia and the Eagles look to continue their surprising ride by sending Tiki Barber into retirement and possibly ending Tom Coughlin's tenure as Giants coach in an NFC wild-card matchup on Sunday.

A funk that lasted into late November saw Philadelphia drop five of six to fall below .500, but more importantly, the team lost star quarterback Donovan McNabb to a season-ending knee injury. Garcia, though, went on to lead the Eagles to four consecutive victories - he barely played in Week 17 while Philadelphia won a fifth straight - and a 10-6 record to win the NFC East.

"We've worked hard over this past month to scratch and claw our way back," said Garcia, whose 95.8 passer rating this season topped McNabb's and would rank fourth in the NFL if he had enough attempts.

"It's very special to be among a group of guys like we have here that just continue to battle, continue to prepare, continue to focus week in and week out."

The Giants seemed to lose that focus in the second half of the season en route to an 8-8 finish, and many feel it could cost Coughlin his job, especially with a loss Sunday.

"I've not even thought one thought about that," Coughlin said. "I'm focused on trying to find a way for us to win and that's where I'll continue to focus."

New York was 6-2 in early November before losing six of seven, but pulled out a 34-28 win at last-place Washington last week to qualify for the playoffs.

The Giants are trying to join the 1999 Miami Dolphins as the only teams in the Super Bowl era to win a playoff game after going 2-6 or worse in their final eight games of the season. New York has been outscored by a 107-26 margin in the fourth quarter during that span.

"We've already jumped over the hurdle about being here and I think that is the important thing," Coughlin said about backing in to the postseason. "Underdogs. Whatever. We'll draw strength from anything we can."

The Giants certainly have drawn strength from Barber, whose outstanding Week 17 performance lifted the team into the playoffs and kept his career going. While quarterback Eli Manning again struggled and the defense looked shaky, New York got a team-record 234 rushing yards and three touchdowns from the soon-to-be-retired Barber.

The franchise's career rushing leader, Barber ran for 1,662 yards this season to rank fourth in the NFL. New York was 6-2 when he rushed for 100 yards, and 2-6 when he didn't.

"My football career hopefully has four more games in it," Barber said.

However, he was mostly ineffective in two matchups with the Eagles this season.

Barber ran for 75 yards on 19 carries in Week 15, but the Eagles' 161 rushing yards nearly doubled New York's output and Garcia outplayed Manning as Philadelphia won 36-22. Barber was held to a season-low 51 yards on 21 attempts at Lincoln Financial Field on Sept. 17, but Manning helped the Giants rally from a 17-point deficit in the fourth quarter and win 30-24 in overtime.

"It's going to be a trash-talking game on the field," Eagles safety Brian Dawkins said. "It is going to be a game where two teams that respect each other, but probably don't like each other a lot, are going to touch the field. It's going to be a war."

Philadelphia's version of Barber, Brian Westbrook, has been given the ball more since offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg took over the playcalling from coach Andy Reid two months ago.

Westbrook averaged more than 20 carries and 100 yards rushing in seven games following the change before sitting out most of the regular season finale. He did not have 20 carries in any of his first seven games while averaging about 30 fewer rushing yards per contest.

His effectiveness has taken some pressure off Garcia. He's completed nearly 65 percent of his passes and thrown only two interceptions since becoming the starter, getting sacked only six times in six games as his scrambling ability has fit well into Mornhinweg's scheme.

"He had some big shoes to fill," Reid said of Garcia. "And so he came in and handled that like a seasoned veteran, but he is also a very good football player and a Pro Bowl caliber football player.

"He knows that he is in a position where he has to lead. And he is taking that to heart."

In three career playoff games - all with San Francisco - Garcia got his only win in a 2003 wild-card matchup with the Giants as he led the 49ers back from a 24-point deficit over the final 18 minutes in a 39-38 victory.

New York has won its only two playoff meetings with Philadelphia, in 1981 and 2001. While the Eagles will next head to New Orleans if they win, New York would visit top seed Chicago.

First, Manning tries to lead the Giants to their first postseason victory since reaching the Super Bowl six years ago. The former No. 1 overall pick likely must get his game on track for New York to go on a playoff run because the Eagles defense surely will focus on stopping the run.

The third-year pro had a mostly dreadful second half with a 66.5 passer rating, compared to 87.5 during New York's 6-2 start. Manning completed only 21 of 51 passes (41.2 percent) over the last two.

"It's not on Eli, it's not just on Tiki," Giants center Shaun O'Hara said. "It's on us as a team. That's the mentality we have to have."

New York faces an Eagles defense that seems to have stabilized, allowing an average of 17.8 points during the five-game win streak while forcing 12 turnovers.

Manning's job could be made a bit easier if Jeremy Shockey returns to the lineup. The Pro Bowl tight end sat out last week due to a swollen left ankle, but there is a good chance he will play Sunday.

"It's really not about them. It's about us," Shockey said. "Us playing well together and giving ourselves a chance to win. That's what we're going to do this week."

advertisement

Standings

Giants Eagles

Overall Record 8-8-0 10-6-0

Home vs. Away 5-3 on road 5-3 at home

Grass Record 3-2 8-4

Division Record 4-2 5-1

Conf. Record 7-5 9-3

Record in Games Decided by < TD 3-3 3-4

Overtime Record 1-0 0-1

Complete Standings

Team Leaders

Giants

Eli Manning

YDS TD INT RATING

3244 24 18 77.0

Rushing YDS TD

T Barber 1662 5

Receiving YDS TD

P Burress 988 10

J Shockey 623 7

Team Stats Page Eagles

Donovan McNabb

YDS TD INT RATING

2647 18 6 95.5

Rushing YDS TD

B Westbrook 1217 7

Receiving YDS TD

R Brown 816 8

D Stallworth 725 5

Team Stats Page

INJURY REPORT 18

Giants

Questionable

Rich Seubert - shin

Jeremy Shockey - ankle

Eagles

Questionable

Juqua Thomas - calf

Probable

Michael Lewis - knee

Dedrick Roper - knee

Matt McCoy - stinger

Ryan Moats - ankle

Darwin Walker - illness

William James - calf

Head to Head

Giants Average Team Rankings Eagles

17.5 Total Offense 14.7

22.2 Total Defense 16.9

16.8 Passing Offense 7.4

22.1 Passing Defense 10.1

10.5 Rushing Offense 14.3

19.0 Rushing Defense 21.5

17.3 Receiving Offense 8.5

22.0 Receiving Defense 8.7

23.8 Punting 20.7

18.0 Return 21.5

26.8 Kicking 32.0

Complete Head to Head

Team Splits - Total

Off Yards Pass Rush Y/R Y/A

NYG 337.5 202.8 134.8 4.7 6.2

Phi 393.3 269.3 124.0 4.8 7.9

Def Sck Sck Yds INT INT Yds TD

NYG 2.0 11.3 1.1 19.1 0.1

Phi 2.5 18.8 1.2 26.8 0.3

Team Splits - NYG Away / Phi Home

NYG 349.9 207.6 142.3 4.8 6.3

Phi 391.8 293.8 98.0 3.9 7.7

NYG 2.4 13.0 1.5 23.9 0.3

Phi 3.0 20.9 1.3 31.0 0.3

Team Splits - On Grass

NYG 333.6 203.4 130.2 4.5 5.9

Phi 399.8 285.5 114.3 4.6 7.9

NYG 1.2 5.6 0.8 4.4 0.0

Phi 3.0 22.0 1.0 29.0 0.3

Team Splits - Outdoors

NYG 330.7 204.3 126.5 4.5 6.2

Phi 399.5 275.9 123.5 4.7 8.0

NYG 1.7 8.9 1.1 18.7 0.1

Phi 2.7 20.2 1.2 28.3 0.4

Team Splits - 1st Half

NYG 164.4 95.1 69.3 5.2 6.3

Phi 201.4 144.6 56.9 4.8 7.8

NYG 0.9 4.6 0.4 4.6 0.0

Phi 1.0 7.1 0.3 8.1 0.1

Team Splits - 2nd Half

NYG 173.1 107.6 65.5 4.3 6.1

Phi 191.9 124.8 67.1 4.8 8.1

NYG 1.1 6.8 0.7 14.5 0.1

Phi 1.5 11.7 0.9 18.7 0.3

Every 'dog has its day

Giants & Jets upset-minded

BY HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jeremy Shockey and Giants are alive and kicking, despite going 8-8 ...

... while Jets Jonathan Vilma (51) and David Barrett are jumping at the chance to end New England's season.

New York is Dogpatch, USA, tomorrow.

As the metropolitan area's two football teams head into the playoffs, they aren't getting much respect from oddsmakers, who are calling for wins by the Patriots and Eagles by more than one touchdown, despite the fact that both pairs of divisional rivals split their season series.

The Jets, in fact, are 8-1/2-point underdogs in Foxborough, the most lopsided spread in a wild-card game since the Jaguars were nine-point favorites over the Patriots in 1998. The Giants, who were favored by three over the Eagles just three weeks ago at the Meadowlands, are 6-1/2-point underdogs in Philadelphia.

Does it matter? It depends. The Jets, who were 10-point underdogs when they won at New England on Nov. 12, are yawning over it. The Giants, favored more than not this season, seem to be using it as motivation.

"We certainly didn't congratulate ourselves for being favored against Oakland," said Jets offensive lineman Pete Kendall. "We haven't spent much time bemoaning the fact that we're underdogs against New England."

Said Jets receiver Laveranues Coles: "They said we wouldn't be here at the beginning of the year, so how much weight can you put on what anybody is saying about us now?"

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said he was watching TV and heard his team was a 40-point underdog.

"Not really, but it seems like that," he said.

Meanwhile, Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce was feigning a tone of surrender, explaining that the Giants couldn't possibly win. Tiki Barber was less sarcastic, more realistic.

"I think we definitely are (underdogs)," Barber said. "You can ask all those people out in Vegas. I don't think we shy away from that. It gives you a chance to not have enormous expectations dumped on you and there's not as much pressure. We can play freeer, we can play looser and hopefully, gain our confidence as the game goes on."

Jets and Giants fans can take heart in some recent trends. The road team has won six of the last eight wild-card games. Only the Patriots, who beat the Jaguars last year, and Broncos, who topped the Colts the year before, have held serve.

And last year's Steelers, the AFC wild card, went all the way to the Super Bowl after knocking off the Bengals. Of course, they did bring an 11-5 record into the postseason and knocked out Cincy's starting QB, Carson Palmer, in the first quarter.

That was also, like tomorrow's game, one between division rivals and the odds for underdogs seem to increase in those matchups. Over the past 25 years, there have been 27 such games and the higher seed has a mere 15-12 edge.

As far as the Giants' and Jets' histories are concerned, it's encouraging. The Jets were a seven-point dog when they went into San Diego and won two years ago. The Giants have won two of the three times they've been a wild-card road team, beating Philly in '81 and Los Angeles in '84 and losing at San Francisco in 2002, when Jeff Garcia rallied the 49ers against them.

If the Jets and Giants need other precedents, maybe these will suffice (sorry, Giants, we couldn't find any instances where a team losing six of its last eight beat a team winning its last five):

The biggest recent upset, as far as records go, came when the 9-6-1 Falcons handed the 12-4 Packers their first playoff loss at Lambeau Field in 2002.

That game was supposed to be a sure thing. Dan Reeves' team was a seven-point underdog and had stumbled into the playoffs by losing three of its last four games.

"Everybody picked Green Bay to win the game, but records are made to be broken," Atlanta cornerback Ray Buchanan said then. "This team didn't get discouraged. It's a tough place to play, but we came in and beat the big bully."

Tom Coughlin has personal experience with this sort of thing. Ten years ago, with the Jaguars in just their second year of existence, he took them into Buffalo and Denver, beat Jim Kelly and John Elway, and reached the AFC Championship Game.

Reminded of that this week, Coughlin said he might even use it in his address to the Giants.

The Jaguars stunned the Bills, 30-27, in their first wild-card playoff game, defying those who were certain that a Florida team couldn't win in the cold. The lesson there was about perserverence. Mark Brunell took a beating against from the Bills' blitz package, getting sacked twice and knocked down another dozen times. But he picked himself up each time and engineered two fourth-quarter scoring drives to pull off the upset.

The greatest moment in Arizona Cardinals history came when they throttled the NFC East rival Cowboys, 20-7, in 1998. The Cardinals, at 9-7, finished just one game behind the Cowboys that year but the franchise had not won a playoff game since 1947 and won just one of 17 previous meetings against the Cowboys. In losing twice to the Cowboys that year, they had surrendered 73 points.

Take note, Jets. Like Tom Brady, Troy Aikman was a postseason whiz. He came into the game with an 11-2 playoff record and three Super Bowl rings. That didn't matter as the Cardinals sacked him four times and intercepted him three times. It was the beginning of the Cowboys' decline.

"This team is not getting any younger," Deion Sanders said afterward. "It's time for some guys to step up or step out. I was not surprised by our performance today. I think a lot of the guys were looking at the next game."

Another good omen for the Jets, although it wasn't a great day in their history, was that the last time both teams played on the same day, in 1981, the home teams lost. Unfortunately for the Jets, they fell at Shea to Buffalo, but the Giants beat the defending NFC champion Eagles at the Vet.

That may be a reach for both team, but when your decisives, you'll take anything you can get.

How Big Blue can flip Birds

Five keys to a Giant win in Philly

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Hold Brian: Must keep a spy on Westbrook

Release Plaxico: Make use of severe height advantage

More Barber: Eagles are ranked 26th against the run

Antonio Pierce was concerned this week when he started talking about the Philadelphia Eagles. He looked at their roster, he said, and knew exactly why the Giants are such huge underdogs.

As far as he was concerned, the Giants have no chance.

"It doesn't look good for us," Pierce said. "We're going in hoping we can give them a great little challenge and see how the chips fall. I'm just giving the facts. The Eagles are on a five-game winning streak, have a top-five offense, the defense is making plays, sacking quarterbacks. They didn't even play their starters last week, so you're talking about a group that's fresh, energized and they're on their way back to the Super Bowl."

At the end of that speech, if only for a second, Pierce smiled - the first and only indication that he was joking. The truth is, the Giants (8-8) remain a supremely confident team as they head to Philadelphia tomorrow for their wild-card playoff game against the Eagles (10-6).

And why not? They almost beat them twice.

They did win the first game, overcoming a 24-7 deficit to beat the Eagles 30-24 in overtime on Sept. 17. And in the rematch on Dec. 17 they had the ball in their hands, trailing by seven points with three minutes remaining before an Eli Manning mistake cost them the game.

Those games were close and so is this matchup. And the Giants are convinced they're good enough to beat the Eagles. All they have to do is follow this plan:

RUN TIKI, RUN

The biggest thing new play-caller Kevin Gilbride did for the Giants' offense last Saturday night was to put the ball in Tiki Barber's hands and leave it there. On the few occasions when things went wrong, he didn't abandon his best player. He let him keep running until he had 234 yards.

Obviously the Eagles saw that film, and yes, they've had success against Barber this season. But as NFL Network analyst Cris Collinsworth said, "I don't know why the Giants would come off of what worked so well a week ago."

Judging by the last eight games of the regular season, Eli Manning is not capable of carrying this offense. But Barber is, especially against the 26th-ranked rushing defense in the league.

The key will be blocking Eagles middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, who was a one-man wrecking crew against Barber in their first meeting this year. Late in that game the Giants took Trotter out of the picture by running out of shotguns and spread formations. In the second game, they diminished his effectiveness by running out of one-back sets, since he often uses the fullback as the key to his reads, and giving the offensive line freedom to get to him with zone blocking schemes.

"We had a better plan for him," Barber said. "We've got good schemes against these guys. Last time we played them we did it pretty well."

The Eagles will obviously be ready for those schemes this time, so Gilbride must find another way to get Barber into the open field.

HANDLE THE PRESSURE

The Eagles have made it clear they feel they can pressure Manning and knock him off his game, but the truth is they try to do that to every quarterback they face. That is what a Jim Johnson defense is all about.

"It's an aggressive defensive style," Tom Coughlin said of the scheme taught by the Eagles' defensive coordinator.

"There's always something new and different for you. You might play a game and have 15 or 16 pressures in that game and 10 different types. There's not any one specific thing that you can zoom in on."

They better find something, because Manning has not been good lately and he can be rattled. Even when he's not, he can make key mistakes under pressure - like the two interceptions he threw in the loss to the Eagles on Dec. 17.

The good news, though, is Manning was under intense pressure from the Eagles on Sept. 17, when they sacked him eight times. Yet he still threw for 371 yards and completed a game-winning touchdown pass under pressure in overtime. That's given him a little confidence that he won't be overwhelmed.

"If they want to bring it, we're going to have to do a good job of blocking it up and try to get the ball down the field," Manning said. "If we hit a few of those, we'll get them out of the blitz."

TURN PLAXICO LOOSE

The Eagles' two starting cornerbacks are 5-10. The Eagles' two starting safeties are 6-feet.

Plaxico Burress is 6-5, has ridiculously long arms and an incredible leaping ability. He is a gigantic mismatch for the Eagles, especially one-on-one.

And he's likely to be single-covered if you believe the talk coming out of the Philly locker room. They've put a bull's eye on Barber and plan on loading eight defenders in the box. They also plan to blitz Manning all day long.

If they do, they won't have enough defenders to double Burress. That's what happened in the first game, when Burress caught six passes for 114 yards, including the game-winning 31-yarder in overtime.

And remember, against the Redskins, according to Collinsworth, "Every single time they got into some kind of a single coverage, (the Giants) were not only throwing the ball, but they were throwing the ball down the field."

If that's what Gilbride wants to do, he'll have plenty of opportunities tomorrow.

KEEP GARCIA CONTAINED

The Eagles were supposed to collapse when Donovan McNabb got hurt, but no one counted on Jeff Garcia being one of the NFL's hottest quarterbacks over the final six weeks of the season. He completed 61.7% of his passes, threw 10 touchdowns and only two interceptions. Most importantly he won his last five games.

But his arm isn't what should worry the Giants. It's his legs. They have been historically bad against mobile quarterbacks, but they are worse without Michael Strahan. Osi Umenyiora hasn't been himself and containment isn't his strength anyway.

And when Garcia gets out of the pocket, he's good enough to make big throws.

"A lot of people counted that team out once McNabb went down," Giants linebacker Brandon Short said. "Garcia stepped up. There's no question the guy is a winner and can play."

The bigger problem with Garcia - or any quarterback - getting out of the pocket is the strain it puts on the Giants' overmatched secondary. They have not been good in coverage all year long, but they're at their worst when they have no pass rush to help them. The longer they have to stick to receivers, the more open those receivers get.

SHADOW WESTBROOK

Over the summer, Andy Reid said he wanted to turn the Eagles into more of a power-running team, but it took the injury to McNabb to force him to put his plan into action. "They want to put the ball in Brian Westbrook's hands a little more since McNabb hasn't been there," Short said.

And why not?

Westbrook is one of the most underrated players in the NFL. Short said "He's a lot like Tiki" only "more explosive."

That's a heck of a compliment coming from one of Barber's teammates.

That's why the No. 1 objective of the Giants' defense has to be to stop him, even if it means spying him like they often did to McNabb. Westbrook has gained 261 yards rushing and receiving in two games against the Giants, including 97 yards and two touchdowns on the ground three weeks ago.

"I was surprised by how much they ran the ball and how dedicated they were to the run," rookie defensive tackle Barry Cofield said. "They're historically known as a passing team."

Not anymore. Even with Garcia playing well, Westbrook is the player the Giants have to worry about the most. They're going to try to run up the middle on the Giants' vulnerable line. Defensive coordinator Tim Lewis is going to have to give them all the help he can.

Originally published on January 5, 2007

Eagles look too tough for Giants to overcome

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

Adam Schein / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 1 day ago

But as we enter the playoffs, there isn't a hotter team in the conference than the Philadelphia Eagles as they get ready to face the rival Giants this weekend.

Jeff Garcia has energized this team. Donte Stallworth, Reggie Brown and L.J. Smith are making huge plays in the passing attack.

But as key as anything to the Eagles success after Donovan McNabb got hurt was Andy Reid giving Marty Mornhinweg the authority to call plays. The offense has been much more unpredictable and balanced. Brian Westbrook put up a Pro Bowl season behind Shawn Andrews, John Runyan and the physical offensive line. Correll Buckhalter provided a balance of power in the run game. I am not exactly sure how the Giants defense, burnt by this offense in New York on Dec. 3, can stop Westbrook and Co.

The Eagles will have their hands full with Giants star back Tiki Barber, playing in perhaps his final game before he goes onto a career as a broadcaster. His 234 yards against the Redskins in Week 17 are the reason the 8-8 Giants are even playing this weekend. New offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride needs to give Barber at least 25 carries. If there is one area where the Eagles are still a bit vulnerable, it is stopping the run.

Nobody doubts Barber's greatness. And frankly, assuming the score is competitive, Barber will get his touches and play well.

The big issue for the Giants is what they get from Eli Manning. To call his performance last year against Carolina wretched would be a major understatement. Sadly for the Giants, Manning's second half of his season was mostly a mirror image of that game. Manning was very successful leading the Giants to a thunderous comeback win in Philadelphia in September, but that game feels like a lifetime ago. When the two clubs met in December, Manning tossed a ball that was picked by defensive lineman Trent Cole in the fourth quarter and returned for a touchdown to seal a 36-22 win. In recent days, Cole sounded off, saying "You can get him rattled and his game starts going downhill."

We asked Giants receiver Tim Carter what he thought Eli's confidence level was:

"He seems to be a pretty confident guy to me, comfortable in the offense," Carter said. "But to be honest I am not really sure what he (Manning) is thinking. Where Eli is mentally, I can't answer that."

That's a quote that speaks volumes.

The Eagles are back to their blitzing ways on defense under Jim Johnson and the road to success won't be easy for Manning in this game. Plus, the defensive backs have made game-changing plays during this win streak — it was Michael Lewis with a pick and touchdown against Washington; Lito Sheppard sealing the Carolina win and Brian Dawkins with his usual brilliance against Dallas.

And we've seen Plaxico Burress get frustrated in games when he doesn't get the ball.

There is also the issue of Tom Coughlin. Is he totally out of the woods as a coach under fire?

We asked Carter if the team was playing for Coughlin.

"Everyone is playing for different reasons," Carter said. "Coaches are coaching for different reasons. There is a lot of speculation going in, but I am not really sure what is going on there. We want to beat the Eagles. That's what we want to do."

Though we are in the world of competitive balance and the Giants certainly know the Eagles very well and Barber is always capable of heroics, beating the Eagles will be extremely difficult on Sunday.

Jets, Giants trying to spring playoff upsets

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com

Posted: 7 hours ago

N.Y. Jets at New England

Time: 1 ET

What to watch for: When the Jets beat the Patriots, 17-14, in the Razor in Week 10, the Jets snapped a seven-game losing streak to the Patriots by blitzing 28 times. They sacked Tom Brady four times, hurried him six times, forced a fumble and intercepted him once in wet conditions. Those cerebral minds in New York think that Jets head coach Eric Mangini may try a different tactic this time, but why? If the Jets can fill the run lanes with blitzers, it could stop New England's desire to use a double tight-end offense and pound the edges with Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney. Asked if the Jets could benefit from a carryover from that victory, WR Laveranues Coles said, "No. New England is a totally different team in the playoffs because of the way they prepare and the experience they have. They've won three Super Bowls. They're the team to beat." Don't forget that Brady owns a 10-1 playoff record and he admits this is his favorite time of year. A career 62-percent passer, Brady struggled with his new receiving corps in the first two months, but he was over 60 percent in nine of his final 11 games. New England plans to put constant pressure on Jets QB Chad Pennington, hoping to get him out of his rhythmic passing style. The key for the Jets is for Coles and Jericho Cotchery to turn short receptions into first downs or more.

Czar's scoop: Generally, the league office rules on tampering charges within a six- to eight-week period, but that hasn't happened on the Patriots' contention that the Jets tampered with former Patriots receiver Deion Branch when they offered him a contract, hoping to force a trade. This all happened in August and September. The issues are very complex and the allegations will be extremely difficult to prove and that's why the league has been taking its time on the nasty grievance that has involved at least six attorneys. This meddling issue is what generated the bad blood between Pats coach Bill Belichick and Jets rookie head coach Eric Mangini. But at least Belichick referred to Mangini by name this week, something he didn't do prior to their two regular-season games. The Pats are going to be minus safety Rodney Harrison (knee). Pennington had three touchdown passes and two interceptions vs. New England this season. The Patriots are a little worried about rookie PK Stephen Gostkowski, who has missed five of 15 attempts beyond 30 yards this season. Does he have some nerves? Well, he keeps Pepto-Bismol in his locker. Yes, he's no Adam Vinatieri.

N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia

Time: 1 ET

What to watch for: The Eagles enter the playoffs with a five-game winning streak, the longest at the end of the regular season since 1949 when they finished with eight straight victories. That year, they went on to win the NFL championship with a 14-0 win over the Los Angeles Rams. The amazing thing is that backup Jeff Garcia has thrown for 10 touchdowns and only two interceptions to lead the Eagles and potentially create some quarterback controversy depending on how far he leads Philly in the playoffs. Philadelphia won't alter its attack, which means Brian Westbrook will get his 20 carries. The Eagles kept Giants RB Tiki Barber under control during the regular season and New York needs a 100-yard game out of him. New York will again move guard David Diehl to left tackle and start Rich Seubert at Diehl's left guard spot. Bob Whitfield's ridiculous penalties put him back on the bench. Tight end Jeremy Shockey (ankle) will start, but the Giants don't know how long he'll last. Giants QB Eli Manning turned 26 this week and he returns to where he led a 17-point rally to upset the Eagles earlier in the season. Manning played poorly in the rematch and he's been struggling down the stretch. The Eagles signed former quarterback Koy Detmer to replace Dirk Johnson as David Akers' holder on kicks after Akers missed his first attempt ever under 30 yards last week. Diehl has started every game for the Giants for the fourth consecutive season. The Giants have to prevent the big pass play, considering Donte Stallworth has averaged 19 yards a catch and rookie Hank Baskett over 21 yards a catch.

Czar's scoop: This definitely could be Tom Coughlin's last game as head coach of the Giants. The man who replaces retiring GM Ernie Accorsi could end up having a big voice on the next New York coach. Accorsi continues to push Jerry Reese with owners John Mara and Steve Tisch. Apparently, Mara is now leaning toward promoting Chris Mara into Accorsi's role, something that Tisch has continued to oppose. Interestingly, Accorsi continues to tell both owners that Reese would be much better than Patriots VP Scott Pioli. Tisch is leaning toward hiring someone outside the organization to replace Accorsi, but who knows how this will end and whether or not a consensus will be reached. Out the door, Accorsi still defends his trade for Manning although the price was very steep. "Obviously, anybody who has two eyes who's seen him play can see he can be a tremendous player," Accorsi said. "His first two seasons, he's ahead of anybody we've ever had. Has he played well down the stretch? No. But he's played well. There's no question in my mind that with the proper supporting cast and the proper handling, he's a championship quarterback. I don't pay any attention to this yo-yo stuff. I think this trade will be worth it. History will prove it. I just hope I'm on this earth so I can enjoy it." Garcia finished with a 95.8 passer rating, just three-tenths ahead of Donovan McNabb. The Eagles would like to re-sign Garcia, but he may want to look for a starting job.

Clock strikes for Tom, Blue

Eagles' FG at 0:00 leaves Mara mum on coach

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jeremy Shockey loses his helmet, but still rumbles for first-down yardage yesterday.

PHILADELPHIA - Up until the moment David Akers' game-winning field goal sailed through the uprights as time expired, the Giants believed they were going to win yesterday's game.

Of course, that's been the story of the Giants' season: They always believed they were a little better than they really were.

"It really doesn't matter how much talent you have," Plaxico Burress said. "Talent can't overcome mistakes. We learned that in the hardest way."

That harsh lesson brought them to the bitter end of their season - and possibly the end of the Tom Coughlin era - with a 23-20 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in an NFC wild-card playoff game. And the reasons for the defeat were the same as they have been all season: penalties and mistakes at the worst possible times.

That recurring theme is why co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch are expected to huddle in the coming days to discuss the embattled Coughlin's future. While Coughlin said "I'm not concerned" about his status with one year left on his contract, sources have said the Giants are considering firing him even though he led the team to the playoffs in each of the last two years.

"I'll have something to say later in the week," Mara said yesterday after meeting with Coughlin just outside the locker room. "Do you think you can wait that long?"

Mara nearly had an extra week to make his decision, the way the Giants (8-9) played at times against the Eagles (11-6). They even mounted an impressive fourth-quarter comeback in which they overcame a second-and-30 situation - one they caused by back-to-back false starts and a holding penalty - to tie the game at 20-20 on an 11-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning to Burress with 5:04 remaining.

But the Giants' defense, which had done a good job of stopping Eagles quarterback Jeff Garcia (17-for-31, 153 yards) and running back Brian Westbrook (141 yards, many of which came on a 49-yard touchdown run), couldn't come up with a stop when it needed to the most. And the Eagles cruised down the field to set up Akers' 38-yard game-winner that sent them onto the divisional round in New Orleans on Saturday.

"They were running the ball and we couldn't stop it," safety Gibril Wilson said. "They did all the necessary things they needed to get themselves into field goal range, and that was that. That last drive is something that we needed bad, but we didn't get the stop that we needed."

It didn't help that the Giants had only one timeout left, so they could only stop the clock once. They blew two on their game-tying drive - one when tight end Darcy Johnson was in the wrong formation, and another when wide receiver David Tyree lined up on the wrong side of the field.

"The great lesson is, obviously, not to waste your timeouts," Coughlin said.

There were other lessons, too - like not wasting opportunities. After getting a 17-yard touchdown pass from Manning (16-of-27, 161 yards, two touchdowns, one interception) to Burress (five catches, 89 yards, two touchdowns) on their opening drive, the Giants started each of their next three drives within four yards of midfield. Yet all they got out of it was one first down, 10 total yards and no points.

"That would've been a good time for us to get a score," Coughlin said. "We had field position there."

Instead, it was the Eagles who scored on the 49-yard touchdown run by Westbrook, tying the game at 7-7. And later they would add a 28-yard touchdown pass from Garcia to Donte Stallworth that allowed them to take a 17-10 lead into the half.

Meanwhile, the Giants' offense shut down for long stretches. Tiki Barber, in his career finale, gained 137 yards, but only 42 after halftime. Burress had two catches on the Giants' first drive and three on the last, but nothing in the two-plus quarters in between.

And after a 65-yard punt return for a touchdown by Westbrook was called back in the third quarter because of an illegal block that occurred behind the play, the Giants got the benefit of a 49-yard pass interference penalty on the next drive. Yet, all they came away with was a field that brought them within 20-13.

And that was the story of the game and their disappointing season. They'd get close. Just never close enough.

"There were a lot of inconsistencies this year," Tyree said. "And it happened a little too much down the stretch of the season."

"It came back to bite us in the worst way," Burress added. "We sit down and watch the film and we're our own worst critic, but for some reason we do things that continue to hurt us."

Coughlin wasn't in much of a mood to talk about that after what might have been his final game as coach of the Giants. When the questions not surprisingly focused on what his team did wrong, Coughlin voice got louder and angrier.

"Let's not lose track of the good things," he insisted. "I know you are in a mood and (have) been that way most of the year, where it's all negative. But it's not all negative."

Unfortunately, this season - which began with the Giants starting at 6-2 only to finish 8-9 - has been mostly negative, no matter how positive the Giants think things should have been.

"We're a better football team than we showed this year," Burress insisted. "We're not a .500 football team. We're a lot better than that. But we got into a groove early and we never could get it back."

Originally published on January 8, 2007

Eli, Giants let shot slip away

Analysis

BY HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

PHILADELPHIA - It was a game decided by one last Eagles drive, a game that could have been determined by a few early Giants possessions.

But lost momentum turned this into a slugfest and in the end, a defense that had been a problem all year, though valiant all night, couldn't stop the Eagles from winning the game.

Here are some of the keys to the Giants' 23-20 loss:

Missed opportunity

The Giants came out aggressively and went right after the Eagles, striking for a 17-yard TD pass from Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress on the first drive. Then their special teams and defense pinned the Eagles deep in their territory, not allowing a first down until late in the quarter.

In truth, the Giants could have been up by at least two scores, but Manning's inconsistency surfaced. Despite lots of time, he reverted to the quarterback he was for much of the season.

Tom Coughlin was convinced the sequence was the biggest factor in the game.

"If there was something to go back to, it would be that we had excellent field position in the first quarter on two occasions and we didn't come away with any more points," he said.

Manning later would miss seeing an open Burress in the back of the end zone and Jeremy Shockey open when the Giants were pinned deep in their territory in the second half.

No defense for Westbrook

Just as the Eagles needed to stop Tiki Barber, the Giants needed to stop Brian Westbrook. In the end, it was the Eagles' Pro Bowl back who got it done, stomach cramps and all.

With the game tied and 5:04 left, the Eagles leaned on Westbrook and their big line to move into position for David Akers' game-winning field goal.

The Giants had done a good job all game of limiting the Eagles' first-down yardage, which has been the key to their second-half offense. But Westbrook had first-down runs of 11 yards and 13 yards (the latter to the Giants' 19).

It was done behind big tackle Jon Runyan and Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews, who ran right at Mathias Kiwanuka in exploiting the absence of Michael Strahan, who would have done a better job of holding the point.

"It's an outside zone play," Westbrook explained. "We run it two ways, with one back and with two backs. When we have two backs in we're trying to get the fullback on the outside linebacker and we count on Jon and Shawn to seal their men off and get me one on one with the safety. I was patient enough to find the lane."

Runyan explained that the Giants were coming hard with a blitz off the edge and that he was able to get a chip and create a seam. Fullback Thomas Tapeh then got all over OLB Carlos Emmons, letting Westbrook use his vision and patience.

It's no secret that the Eagles went into the game hoping to wear down the Giants - who had two rookies on their D-line - with their big "lug nuts" up front.

"Their front four has played a lot of snaps," Westbrook said. "I believe if we get our offensive linemen on them early and often during the game, we will wear a team down and it showed in that last drive."

Whither Plaxico?

Plaxico Burress killed the Eagles on the first series and on the next-to-last. He also drew a critical interference penalty on Sheldon Brown late in the third quarter. But in between?

"There are things that happen in the course of a game," Coughlin said. "Everybody is aware of where he is. They either roll over to him or they send someone on scout coverage or double him. That's pretty much what you see every week."

The Eagles seemed a bit surprised that Burress wasn't thrown to for a long period of time.

"Obviously, Plax has been a thorn in our side all year," cornerback Sheldon Brown said.

Coughlin must go

Ax can't fall fast enough

Tom Coughlin

PHILADELPHIA - Tom Coughlin stood helplessly and sadly as he watched David Akers boot the Giants' season and perhaps his chaotic three-year tenure as their coach through the uprights as the last three seconds ticked off the clock.

He handed his headset to an aide and made what Giants management should make sure is his final long walk off the field as their coach. His situation will be clarified in the next few days by Giants co-owner John Mara. Coughlin either will be fired, given a one-year or multiyear extension or told that if he wants to stay, he must coach out the last year of his deal in 2007.

Coughlin must go. He has lost the locker room. Too many players have tuned him out. He has taken this team as far as he can.

"I'll have something to say during the week, but not right now," Mara said as he exited the locker room after the Giants' 23-20 loss to the Eagles. "Do you think you can wait that long?"

Mara had a chance to end the speculation about Coughlin, but instead chose to leave him hanging. That is not necessarily good news for the coach.

Coughlin was in a predictable mood. He was defensive and a bit ornery. Asked whether he is worried about his job, he said, "I'm not concerned."

After the Giants melted down against the Saints two weeks ago, I endorsed the Giants firing Coughlin. Nothing has changed. He did become the first Giants coach since Bill Parcells in 1989-90 to get them into the playoffs two years in a row, but he couldn't get them past the wild-card round either time. He hasn't been able to develop Eli Manning. He has been unable to get his locker room under control.

Where's the progress? Well, at least after losing yesterday, none of his players said he was outcoached.

It's hard to make a case why the Giants should bring him back other than Charlie Weis has insisted he will remain at Notre Dame and Bill Cowher plans to take at least one year off before he looks for a huge contract. But until Weis tells the Giants himself that he's not interested, they have to ask if he wants to come and save Manning's career. Two words of advice for the Giants before they give up on Weis: Nick Saban.

If the Giants are convinced Weis is staying in South Bend and that Cowher is going to watch his daughters play basketball, they might decide Coughlin is better than anybody else they can hire, let him coach the team and, if the results are not any better in 2007, check in on Weis and Cowher.

In a hallway off to the side of the locker room after the game, Coughlin spoke with Mara, retiring GM Ernie Accorsi and his assistant Jerry Reese, who is the favorite to succeed Accorsi. Coughlin was doing most of the talking.

It's doubtful he was lobbying for his job, but he might need to come up with a strong argument to convince Mara and co-owner Steve Tisch to bring him back. The Giants' monumental collapse in the second half of the season, when they turned 6-2 into 8-8 and barely made it as the No.6 seed, became an embarrassing soap opera and has cost him his strong standing in the organization.

There were strong indications Coughlin needed to win a playoff game to stick around. He doesn't have many players publicly supporting him. The lack of discipline evident for three years was on display again on the drive when the Giants scored the tying touchdown in spite of themselves on Manning's 11-yard pass to Plaxico Burress with 5:04 left in the game.

After they had a first down at the Eagles' 23, here's what happened on the next three snaps: false start on David Diehl - his third of the game - false start on Chris Snee and holding on Snee. That made it first-and-30. The Giants also called two timeouts on that drive because of mental mistakes in lining up. That hurt them when the Eagles used up the entire clock leading up to Akers' game-winning 38-yard field goal.

"It's frustrating to be in position to win a game and not win that game," Coughlin said. "It's very frustrating. You can point to many things and I can also point to some outstanding plays. Let's face it, we had a first-and-30 and still got a touchdown. Who wants to talk about that one? Let's not lose track of the good things as well."

Then, lecturing the media, he said, "I know you are in a mood and (have) been that way most of the year, where it's all negative. But it's not all negative."

In the first quarter, after taking a 7-0 lead on their first possession, the Giants started their next three drives on the Eagles' 49, their own 48 and the Eagles' 46. They ran a total of 11 plays for 10 net yards, one first down and no points.

The season began with Super Bowl expectations. In every corner of the locker room, the players were talking about spending time in South Beach. That was the primary issue. The unspoken issue was Coughlin. When management decided in the offseason not to address Coughlin's contract situation until after the season, it automatically put him on the hot seat.

Mara and Tisch elected to defer their decision on Coughlin until they were able to see how the season ended. It ended with Akers kicking them into the offseason, where the first move should be to fire Coughlin.

Yeah Cheer Leader was real snicky during the question and answer period during the post game conference. That' s an indication to me that he feels that he will not be asked back and is feeling that he has nothing to lose with letting his prickly bear personality come out for all to see. I believe that the Tisch family is the only hope for this franchise....this insane loyalty to non-producers has got to stop in Giants Land. That the Mara's want an inside man (Reese) as opposed to going outside shows that the Mara's have yet to make the adjustment to football during the free agency period. I mean other people know how to bake bread too....the Giants don't have a monopoly by any means on bread baking. This incestuous inhouse mentality has got to stop.

Coughlin still Giant question

Goodbyes fall short of farewell

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tom Coughlin stands by his coaches but shakeup, minor or major, will change Big Blue picture.

Eli Manning makes his call ...

... with Plaxico Burress giving his final word before taking off.

There were no long goodbyes from Tom Coughlin yesterday. And though his players were busy cleaning out their lockers, the coach's office remained intact.

In fact, things were so normal around Giants Stadium that Coughlin's final speech to his team was a short one. And it ended with these hopeful words:

"I'll see you in March."

Of course, it remains to be seen whether Coughlin will see any of his players again at all, after a disappointing 8-8 season ended Sunday with a 23-20 loss to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs. Several organizational sources said it appeared that co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch were leaning toward bringing their embattled coach back for one more year, but no official announcement was made.

Whatever their decision, it was likely discussed at length yesterday afternoon when Coughlin met with Mara and treasurer Jonathan Tisch (Steve Tisch was not at the stadium). Through team spokesmen, the two Giants executives both declined comment, and Steve Tisch did not return calls.

The fact that there was no announcement could be because there are still things to discuss as the owners review a chaotic season. Even if they did decide to bring Coughlin back for the final year of his four-year, $12 million contract, they had to figure out how to do it.

Their options included a one-year contract extension - the route they took when they were undecided about Jim Fassel in 2000 - allowing Coughlin to coach out the final year of his contract, or making his return conditional on him making changes in his coaching staff.

Coughlin refused to speak to the media yesterday, and wouldn't discuss his status when contacted at home last night by the Daily News. A team official said an announcement on Coughlin's fate likely would come by tomorrow, though it could come today.

"It's all very unsettling," said safety Gibril Wilson. "There's uncertainty about the whole situation. That's not a good thing."

Coughlin's assistants were also unclear about their situation after a staff meeting scheduled for yesterday was postponed until this morning. They were well aware that Coughlin might be forced to make some changes. One player said the first move could come from special teams coach Mike Sweatman, whom the player expected to retire.

Whatever the future holds, Coughlin seemed to go to great lengths to make the day, in the words of several players, "business as usual." He gathered his team in the morning, let retiring GM Ernie Accorsi say a few words, then talked briefly about the disappointing season and how they needed to work hard to be ready for next year.

And it worked, since nobody in the building seemed to get any signals that Coughlin thought he might lose his job.

"I don't have that sense," said center Shaun O'Hara. "I know it seems like a lot of people outside of this building are really hoping for a change. But I don't know how you do that when you have a team that makes the playoffs in back to back years for the first time in a long time."

Those back-to-back playoff appearances - the Giants' first since 1989-90 - are just one of the factors that may save Coughlin's job. Another is the dearth of candidates available, unless the Giants think they can convince Bill Cowher to make a quick return to coaching or they are willing - and able - to buy Charlie Weis out of his Notre Dame deal.

And even though Coughlin presided over a season that running back Brandon Jacobs described as "a swing and a miss," the coach wasn't without his supporters in the locker room yesterday, even though he's never been the most popular man in the room.

"It is an accomplishment, having us go to the playoffs despite the circumstances we faced this year," said receiver David Tyree. "So I don't think he's done anything to get fired."

Tyree might be right, though at the moment, Mara, Tisch and possibly Coughlin are the only ones who know for sure.

Originally published on January 9, 2007

Tuna swims into GM picture

Report: Giants turned him away

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Could the Giants' general manager search end with a Tuna surprise?

The stage was set for that longshot scenario yesterday when Scott Pioli turned down a chance to be the next GM of the Giants, and hours later a report surfaced that Bill Parcells was interested in the job. Parcells, of course, is still the coach of the Cowboys, but he has not decided whether he wants to coach again next year.

The juicy possibility of Parcells finishing off his career in the front office of the organization where his head coaching career began was first reported last night on NFL.com. But according to another report, Parcells had already expressed his interests to the Giants but been rebuffed. A source told the Daily News Parcells' name had been discussed by the Giants' owners, but said his return is not likely to happen.

Pioli, who is Parcells' son-in-law, was a possibility for the job, though, before he snubbed the Giants yesterday for "personal reasons." The Giants had received permission from the Patriots to speak to their 41-year-old VP of player personnel earlier in the day.

With Pioli out of the mix, that appeared to leave the Giants' director of player personnel Jerry Reese as the front-runner to replace the retiring Ernie Accorsi. Several sources have said ownership has always leaned toward hiring an in-house candidate, though one source said the Giants will not hire a GM without interviewing more outside candidates.

So far the Giants have interviewed four in-house candidates: Reese, VP of player evaluation Chris Mara, assistant GM Kevin Abrams and director of pro personnel Dave Gettleman, along with former Texans GM Charlie Casserly. Reese is also a candidate for the Tennessee Titans' GM job, though the Titans have not asked permission to speak to him yet.

The 65-year-old Parcells has one year left on his contract with the Cowboys, which means he wouldn't be able to coach the Giants unless they offered the Cowboys compensation - and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones likely wouldn't allow that to happen anyway. But the Tuna would be allowed to leave to take a GM job in another organization.

According to his Dallas contract, he must make a decision by Feb. 1.

TIKI'S FINAL WORD: One day after his 10-year NFL career officially ended, Tiki Barber admitted: "There's not a lot of sadness" and there's nothing that can convince him to return for one more year.

"I'm happy I had the run that I had and I'm thankful for it," he said. "But my life will go on. I'm not going to regret not being a football player anymore."

QUIET PLAX: WR Plaxico Burress attended yesterday's final team meeting, but only took a couple of questions while walking to his car.

Asked what he would tell a new coach who asked him to attend the offseason training program, Burress said "I'll tell him I'll see him in training camp." Asked if he wanted Tom Coughlin to return next season, Burress closed his car door and drove away.

STILL KICKIN': P Jeff Feagles said he's "leaning towards" returning for his 20th NFL season. . . . C Shaun O'Hara and K Jay Feely, the Giants' two most important unrestricted free agents, both said they hope to be back next season.

Originally published on January 9, 2007

On Blue, hold your fire!

Set to give Tom one more try

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

It appears as if Tom Coughlin will get to keep his headset, even though Giants commit delay of game on announcement.

John Mara (l.) and Steve Tisch are in no hurry to make an announcement, but signs indicate that Giants ownership is going to bring back Tom Coughlin and give him a one-year extension, and name Jerry Reese the team's GM.

Giants ownership stepped up to the line of scrimmage yesterday and was finally ready to call the first play of its new era. Then something very familiar happened.

A false start.

The Giants appeared to be all set to reveal that Tom Coughlin was going to return for at least one more season as their head coach, but they ended up scrapping plans for a late-afternoon announcement.

Despite reports that Coughlin had agreed to a one-year contract extension and that Jerry Reese was going to be named the new general manager, one source insisted yesterday evening that "nothing has been decided yet."

Still, that does remain the likely scenario, with indications from inside the Giants' organization that the embattled Coughlin will return. He met with his assistant coaches in the morning for their annual personnel review, and the atmosphere was described as business as usual.

The subject of his job security - and their job security - didn't even come up.

Later in the morning, Coughlin and most - but not all - of his coaching staff attended a memorial service for Roy Posner, a long-time financial adviser to both the Giants and the Tisch family, who died just hours after the Giants won their season finale in Washington on Dec. 30. It was not clear which assistants missed the trip, or whether that was an indication of anything.

That memorial service kept most of the Giants organization - including co-owner John Mara and team treasurer Jonathan Tisch, who was one of the eulogists - out of the office until early afternoon, which apparently was one of the reasons for the delay of the announcement. According to Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon, "Thorough internal reviews and discussions continue," and those were delayed by the memorial service.

He said an announcement on the Giants' coach and GM situation could come as soon as this afternoon.

There are other issues to be worked out, too. If Coughlin is returning, the Giants likely will negotiate an extension of his four-year, $12 million contract that is set to expire after next season. The Giants don't want to have a lame-duck coach, so they are likely to tack on one more year for at least the $3 million he's scheduled to make in 2007.

At least one member of ownership is pushing for Coughlin to make staff changes, according to a source. Defensive coordinator Tim Lewis is on the hot seat, and there could be revisions in the Giants' strength and conditioning program, too.

Another source said that ownership had been prepared to insist that Coughlin fire offensive coordinator John Hufnagel as one condition for his return. But Coughlin took care of that when he stripped Hufnagel of his play-calling duties before the regular-season finale. Hufnagel later resigned.

Quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride took over the play-calling, and that source believed ownership would be satisfied if Gilbride was promoted to offensive coordinator.

There is also the matter of settling on Coughlin's immediate boss, with Ernie Accorsi set to officially vacate the GM's office on Monday. Reese, the Giants' director of player personnel, has always been considered the in-house favorite. But one source familiar with ownership's thinking said there has been some resistance from the Tisch family to hiring a new GM from within, which is why the Giants interviewed former Texans GM Charlie Casserly and requested permission to speak with Patriots executive Scott Pioli.

Casserly has always been a longshot candidate, and once Pioli took himself out of the picture by declining the Giants' interview request, the outside options became limited. And since Reese is well-liked by ownership and was recommended strongly by Accorsi, he may end up being the best fit.

All of that should be clear by today when Mara, who has not spoken publicly on either the coach or GM situation in several weeks, is expected to address those issues. Mara, via E-mail, declined comment yesterday. And Giants co-owner, Steve Tisch, did not return a call to his California office.

Originally published on January 10, 2007