SportsWrath

Fire Coughlin.....Fire Coughlin.....Fire Coughlin!

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

I was at the game last night and was completely disgusted by Tom Coughlin's coaching. Blame the refs and Eli all you want, but that game was lost because of one person.....Tom Coughlin. In the 4th quarter the Giants were only trailing 24-21 and started to finally gain some momentum after getting the ball to Shockey prior to Tiki's run and Jacobs' TD. The crowd was back into it. We were standing in the rain chanting DE-Fense on the top of our lungs. We got a big defensive stop and got the ball back with about 12 minutes to go in the game when the Giants started to drive...again. What happens next was unthinkable and inexcuseable. On 4th down with 11 1/2 minutes to go, he has Feely attempt a meaningless FG for 52 yards towards the same goal post he missed earlier at 31 yards out. First of all, if he had made it......we would still be down 1 point therefore needing to score again anyway. HEY TOM, YOU HAVE THE BEST PUNTER IN THE LEAGUE.......USE HIM!!!!!!!!!!! Punt the ball inside Chicago's 5, put their backs against the wall and get the ball back with possibly 9 minutes or more to score a TD. What the fuck was he thinking? At least go for it on 4th down. Feely shouldn't have been out there......and either should Coughlin.

I was at the game last night and was completely disgusted by Tom Coughlin's coaching. Blame the refs and Eli all you want, but that game was lost because of one person.....Tom Coughlin. In the 4th quarter the Giants were only trailing 24-21 and started to finally gain some momentum after getting the ball to Shockey prior to Tiki's run and Jacobs' TD. The crowd was back into it. We were standing in the rain chanting DE-Fense on the top of our lungs. We got a big defensive stop and got the ball back with about 12 minutes to go in the game when the Giants started to drive...again. What happens next was unthinkable and inexcuseable. On 4th down with 11 1/2 minutes to go, he has Feely attempt a meaningless FG for 52 yards towards the same goal post he missed earlier at 31 yards out. First of all, if he had made it......we would still be down 1 point therefore needing to score again anyway. HEY TOM, YOU HAVE THE BEST PUNTER IN THE LEAGUE.......USE HIM!!!!!!!!!!! Punt the ball inside Chicago's 5, put their backs against the wall and get the ball back with possibly 9 minutes or more to score a TD. What the fuck was he thinking? At least go for it on 4th down. Feely shouldn't have been out there......and either should Coughlin.

While I agree with your assessment and TC's to put Feely out there for a 52 yd FG was a total bust. I don't agree that he should be fired. But I am disappointed in the decisions he made and what he allowed to happen out there. We had complete control and then the team just fell apart.

that field goal would have brought us w/in one and would have helped in the momentum swing.

the decision to go for the field goal was tough, but i can't put TC on the hook for this one. feely can't make that field goal short. the special teams players have to play to the whistle and watch for the run back. it's not ridiculously extreme to expect feely to get a better kick on a 52 yarder.

coughlin certainly isn't innocent, but yesterday's loss was more a failure to execute than anything else.

Guest StrahansGap
that field goal would have brought us w/in one and would have helped in the momentum swing.

the decision to go for the field goal was tough, but i can't put TC on the hook for this one. feely can't make that field goal short. the special teams players have to play to the whistle and watch for the run back. it's not ridiculously extreme to expect feely to get a better kick on a 52 yarder.

coughlin certainly isn't innocent, but yesterday's loss was more a failure to execute than anything else.

I know what you are saying, but we already had the momentum.....field goal or not. And it's Coughlin's fault for not covering all his groung in his decision to try for a field goal. He should have prepared his guys for a possible FG miss and possible return in swirling winds and rain at the Meadowlands. It's not his first game in the swamp you know. If you go for the FG..cover your ass for ANY and ALL possiblities if you miss! He failed to do so.

I know what you are saying, but we already had the momentum.....field goal or not. And it's Coughlin's fault for not covering all his groung in his decision to try for a field goal. He should have prepered his guys for a possible FG miss and possible return in swirling winds and rain at the Meadowlands. It's not his first game in the swamp you know. If you go for the FG..cover your ass for ANY and ALL possiblities if you miss! He failed to do so.

feely said in his post-game press conference that they practice the short FG cover every week.

Guest StrahansGap
feely said in his post-game press conference that they practice the short FG cover every week.

Yeah, but Coughlin didn't tell the Special Teams when it mattered because half the team was seen walking back to the sidelines! Coughlin admitted he was struggling with the decision to go for the FG or punt it. His indecisiveness cost us the game because he didn't fully prepare his team fot the bad possibilties in the final decision he DID make.

I know what you are saying, but we already had the momentum.....field goal or not. And it's Coughlin's fault for not covering all his groung in his decision to try for a field goal. He should have prepared his guys for a possible FG miss and possible return in swirling winds and rain at the Meadowlands. It's not his first game in the swamp you know. If you go for the FG..cover your ass for ANY and ALL possiblities if you miss! He failed to do so.

well at least we can be assured that wont happen again :doh:

Yeah, but Coughlin didn't tell the Special Teams when it mattered because half the team was seen walking back to the sidelines! Coughlin admitted he was struggling with the decision to go for the FG or punt it. His indecisiveness cost us the game because he didn't fully prepare his team fot the bad possibilties in the final decision he DID make.

i mean what are these players, little kids? if a play is important enough to be practiced every week, you shouldn't have to be reminded about it. all you gotta do is look up and see hester waiting in the back of the end zone. i watched the play unfold... giants players started slowing up as soon as hester faked the kneel. they failed to do their job. how is this coughlin's fault??

52 yarder for Feely was a stupid move. Should've went for it or punted. Once Hester fielded the FG, he was committed to run it out or the ball would have been spotted at the 20 instead of where the ball was kicked from. The players lost their heads on that play.

no way you go for it after eli has shown that he can't hit the broad side of a barn. if we punt and still lose, people hang coughlin for failing to try the FG there. hindsight is 20/20. if feely does his job and hits that kick, things are a lot different. coughlin has to rely on his players to be able to do their job... and with a kicker as good as feely (say what you will about feely but he's still one of the best in the league), i can't blame TC for calling his number.

That one bad call is not a reason to fire him, but the fact that there were only 22 rushing attempts when the were AVERAGING 6.8 a CARRY is insane. They threw 32 passes throw on a wet night when the running game was kicking ass.

14 fucking completions and you dont think you should run the ball? They need to get rid of Huff now and tell TC his hours are numbered.

no way you go for it after eli has shown that he can't hit the broad side of a barn. if we punt and still lose, people hang coughlin for failing to try the FG there. hindsight is 20/20. if feely does his job and hits that kick, things are a lot different. coughlin has to rely on his players to be able to do their job... and with a kicker as good as feely (say what you will about feely but he's still one of the best in the league), i can't blame TC for calling his number.

Actually, Eli had a couple of decent passes that brought them down the field with Tiki making a couple nice runs. The momentum had changed to our side. What killed us there was the fumble by Eli that went out of bounds that brought the ball back about 12 yards because Witfield couldn't hold his man.

They should have played it safe and gained a few yards to get the ball a little closer for the FG on 3rd down. I had no confidence at all in Feely making that 52 yarder. To me it was a waste plus we were down by 4 points.

Actually, Eli had a couple of decent passes that brought them down the field with Tiki making a couple nice runs. The momentum had changed to our side. What killed us there was the fumble by Eli that went out of bounds that brought the ball back about 12 yards because Witfield couldn't hold his man.

Literally. <_<

That one bad call is not a reason to fire him, but the fact that there were only 22 rushing attempts when the were AVERAGING 6.8 a CARRY is insane. They threw 32 passes throw on a wet night when the running game was kicking ass.

14 fucking completions and you dont think you should run the ball? They need to get rid of Huff now and tell TC his hours are numbered.

And why the fuck did we abandon the blitz??? It was working great the first half, why did lewis change things when it was working fine, and why didnt he go back to it when he realized his new "plan" wasnt working

Guest JACKSTROUD7

Forget that..........what about giving Jacobs no touches with Tiki running for minus yds on 20 carries

same boneheaded stubborness we saw against Carolina last year

and NO no-huddle.........our very most potent weapon

I agree, Coughlin was clearly off his game last night. However, after our first loss since September 24th, it is naive to call for his head. Coughiln knows what he did wrong, and he won't do it again.

One thing that has to change is halftime adjustments. That goes for Lewis and Hufnagel too.

Guest StrahansGap
i mean what are these players, little kids? if a play is important enough to be practiced every week, you shouldn't have to be reminded about it. all you gotta do is look up and see hester waiting in the back of the end zone. i watched the play unfold... giants players started slowing up as soon as hester faked the kneel. they failed to do their job. how is this coughlin's fault??

Yes, they are little kids. And 3/4 of them have the brains of neanderthals! They DO have to be reminded on a consistant basis....that's what coaching is all about. This is why all NFL teams have Special Teams coaches, so the Head Coach can relay important information to them regarding special teams plays. Good coaches in every sport are always thinking 2 steps ahead like a game of chess. Coughlin wasn't playing chess he was playing roulette......and LOST!

Football has often been juxtaposed with the art of war. Would the commander of an armed forces unit send his guys in to execute without covering all his ground first no matter how many times they went over it in boot camp? I think not. Coughlin fucked up and I wouldn't want him as a platoon commander or a coach............period!

And why the fuck did we abandon the blitz??? It was working great the first half, why did lewis change things when it was working fine, and why didnt he go back to it when he realized his new "plan" wasnt working

The D was gassed from not getting a rest the entire game

Horrible decision by Coughlin, along with this fact: The league's leading rusher and best player on our team only had 19 carries, TWO GAMES IN ROW. That's just not enough. He is too good. If the coaching staff had as much faith in Tiki as Eli, we might never lose!

Eli didn't help matters much. He stalled the opening drive by overthrowing Burress on a pass that Keanu Reeves could make, and never made a play when it was needed. This guy is way too inaccurate and I'm starting to sour on him. I have supported/defended him since he's been here but when is he going to reach the next level?