SportsWrath

Diagnosis

gmenroc

Alright, I figure I'd throw in my two cents on last night's debacle.

First, I'll give credit to the offensive line and the running game in the first half. They came out and played well, initially. Even the fact that we had over 100 yards rushing against a good Bears defense is impressive. Also noteworthy is the way the defense played in the first half, with the exception of their TD drive. They kept the running game in check and got good pressure on Grossman. Unfortunately, that's where the positives ended.

As some have already noted, Corey Webster has not played well at all. Our secondary is still clearly our weak spot on defense. They've had much less success than anticipated. I still think we've upgraded over last year, but they're still not playing as well as we need them too. Corey Webster should lose his starting gig to McQuarters. Sam Madison shouldn't have played. What was the stat they threw up on the screen before he got injured again? Something like he got thrown at 5 times, they completed 4 of them for something like 80 yards and a TD. The only time our secondary has had any good plays has been a direct result of our pass rush. And the pass rush is dwindling as we take on more injuries. Injuries, oh and the fact that they got tired. The turnovers the offense had put the defense right back on the field. Can't do that and expect to win.

Additionally, I think it's safe to say that Eli Manning is not the golden boy that he was supposed to be. Even in the wins we've had this season, he hasn't been stellar by any means. He's made a few good throws, but he's certainly not setting the league on fire. Furthermore, if it weren't for Tiki and our running game, Manning would be worse yet. Last night, he was abysmal at best. Throwing a long ball short into double coverage will be picked off in this league every time. There's no excuse for throwing into double coverage. Oh, and while I'm at it, I have to mention his accuracy, or the lack thereof. If you're throwing over Plax, you've got problems. It's no wonder he has a bad back, Eli's hanging him out to dry every other pass he throws his way. And that's a lot of throws, because god knows we don't have any other receivers on the field. Shockey has 1 ball thrown his way and not until the 3rd quarter. Granted, he has a lot more blocking responsibilities, but come on now. And can anyone please tell me who started the game opposite Plax? I thought prior to the game it was going to be Carter, but not hearing his name once and not seeing a single ball thrown his way, it's almost as if he wasn't there. I know Tyree had a few thrown his way, but there's no debating the fact that Eli stared down Plaxico and Tiki on every passing down. Between the turnovers, inaccuracy, staring down receivers, and becoming fixated on one guy; Eli did not have a good game. The problem is, these are ongoing issues. And no matter what Tiki or any other guy on the team says, I'm still not convinced he's leading this team. He still looks like a little boy, lost and scared, at times. He should be beyond that. He's certainly not the league's best, but he's not the league's worst either. Still, the talk about how he was much further along than his brother is beginning to look like bullshit.

Lastly, to date, I have not been too critical of the coaching. I was in agreement with a lot of what Coughlin has said. I agreed with a lot of the decisions he's made. However, this game was different. I was okay with the game, not impressed or blown away, but just okay with it until Coughlin decided to go for the 52 yard FG. Feely had already missed from a shorter distance. Feely isn't the best from beyond 50 yards (something like 50% or so). Add to that the wind, rain, and field conditions and I don't get how you can go for the FG. At the very least, use Feagles to pin them deep and gain field position(which is one thing we've done pretty well). The usage of certain players, or the lack thereof, is also a strike against the coaching staff in my book. Shockey was most definitely under utilized. I am not sure how many plays were called for him specifically, if any, but there should have been. And Jacobs, please tell me why he only got the ball a few times. Sure, Tiki was having a decent day, but Jacobs is a great change of pace and has provided the same type of emotional lift that Shockey gives. And again, I have to mention the lack of receiver other than Plax. I liked the defense so I won't criticize them too much. I think they just got worn out from being on the field too much. Our depth there isn't what it was a few weeks ago when we could just give guys a breather.

Alright, I figure I'd throw in my two cents on last night's debacle.

First, I'll give credit to the offensive line and the running game in the first half. They came out and played well, initially. Even the fact that we had over 100 yards rushing against a good Bears defense is impressive. Also noteworthy is the way the defense played in the first half, with the exception of their TD drive. They kept the running game in check and got good pressure on Grossman. Unfortunately, that's where the positives ended.

As some have already noted, Corey Webster has not played well at all. Our secondary is still clearly our weak spot on defense. They've had much less success than anticipated. I still think we've upgraded over last year, but they're still not playing as well as we need them too. Corey Webster should lose his starting gig to McQuarters. Sam Madison shouldn't have played. What was the stat they threw up on the screen before he got injured again? Something like he got thrown at 5 times, they completed 4 of them for something like 80 yards and a TD. The only time our secondary has had any good plays has been a direct result of our pass rush. And the pass rush is dwindling as we take on more injuries. Injuries, oh and the fact that they got tired. The turnovers the offense had put the defense right back on the field. Can't do that and expect to win.

Additionally, I think it's safe to say that Eli Manning is not the golden boy that he was supposed to be. Even in the wins we've had this season, he hasn't been stellar by any means. He's made a few good throws, but he's certainly not setting the league on fire. Furthermore, if it weren't for Tiki and our running game, Manning would be worse yet. Last night, he was abysmal at best. Throwing a long ball short into double coverage will be picked off in this league every time. There's no excuse for throwing into double coverage. Oh, and while I'm at it, I have to mention his accuracy, or the lack thereof. If you're throwing over Plax, you've got problems. It's no wonder he has a bad back, Eli's hanging him out to dry every other pass he throws his way. And that's a lot of throws, because god knows we don't have any other receivers on the field. Shockey has 1 ball thrown his way and not until the 3rd quarter. Granted, he has a lot more blocking responsibilities, but come on now. And can anyone please tell me who started the game opposite Plax? I thought prior to the game it was going to be Carter, but not hearing his name once and not seeing a single ball thrown his way, it's almost as if he wasn't there. I know Tyree had a few thrown his way, but there's no debating the fact that Eli stared down Plaxico and Tiki on every passing down. Between the turnovers, inaccuracy, staring down receivers, and becoming fixated on one guy; Eli did not have a good game. The problem is, these are ongoing issues. And no matter what Tiki or any other guy on the team says, I'm still not convinced he's leading this team. He still looks like a little boy, lost and scared, at times. He should be beyond that. He's certainly not the league's best, but he's not the league's worst either. Still, the talk about how he was much further along than his brother is beginning to look like bullshit.

Lastly, to date, I have not been too critical of the coaching. I was in agreement with a lot of what Coughlin has said. I agreed with a lot of the decisions he's made. However, this game was different. I was okay with the game, not impressed or blown away, but just okay with it until Coughlin decided to go for the 52 yard FG. Feely had already missed from a shorter distance. Feely isn't the best from beyond 50 yards (something like 50% or so). Add to that the wind, rain, and field conditions and I don't get how you can go for the FG. At the very least, use Feagles to pin them deep and gain field position(which is one thing we've done pretty well). The usage of certain players, or the lack thereof, is also a strike against the coaching staff in my book. Shockey was most definitely under utilized. I am not sure how many plays were called for him specifically, if any, but there should have been. And Jacobs, please tell me why he only got the ball a few times. Sure, Tiki was having a decent day, but Jacobs is a great change of pace and has provided the same type of emotional lift that Shockey gives. And again, I have to mention the lack of receiver other than Plax. I liked the defense so I won't criticize them too much. I think they just got worn out from being on the field too much. Our depth there isn't what it was a few weeks ago when we could just give guys a breather.

a fine post sir ..... and i agree with nearly all of it ..........( a bad day to be a Giants fan )

I have never wanted to knock Eli before ...... buy yesterday he was very disappointing indeed.

God only knows what Eli would look like without Tiki and Brandon at the moment !

I hope this is just part of his rather long learning curve ..... time to grow up NOW and be the QB we expect.

a fine post sir ..... and i agree with nearly all of it ..........( a bad day to be a Giants fan )

I have never wanted to knock Eli before ...... buy yesterday he was very disappointing indeed.

God only knows what Eli would look like without Tiki and Brandon at the moment !

I hope this is just part of his rather long learning curve ..... time to grow up NOW and be the QB we expect.

Thank you. The learning curve. That's what scares me. He was supposed to be further along that curve than he is. And he has the same problems now that he's had all along.

I'm not saying he sucks or that this team will miss playoffs, but I am saying that he's been quite the disappointment.

Thank you. The learning curve. That's what scares me. He was supposed to be further along that curve than he is. And he has the same problems now that he's had all along.

I'm not saying he sucks or that this team will miss playoffs, but I am saying that he's been quite the disappointment.

i suppose that the good news is that he doesn't usually have 2 awful games in a row.

Infact the whole team under TC hasn't lost 2 in a row since week 15 & 16 of 2004 as far as i recall

......and i do think we are better than the Jags

Come on Eli ..... make those smart decisions that you are always talking about !

i suppose that the good news is that he doesn't usually have 2 awful games in a row.

Infact the whole team under TC hasn't lost 2 in a row since week 15 & 16 of 2004 as far as i recall

......and i do think we are better than the Jags

Come on Eli ..... make those smart decisions that you are always talking about !

It's going to take more than one game for me to change my opinion on Eli

Manning had a horrible game but I wouldn't throw him under the bus yet. As a matter of fact, I still have alot of faith in him. There wasn't much time to throw or step up n the pocket but he still needs to make some plays. Were we playing at home last night? Our WRs were being mauled on many plays with no calls. Eli has proven himself to me in many games and it's gonna take more than a couple of bad games to give up on him.

Manning had a horrible game but I wouldn't throw him under the bus yet. As a matter of fact, I still have alot of faith in him. There wasn't much time to throw or step up n the pocket but he still needs to make some plays. Were we playing at home last night? Our WRs were being mauled on many plays with no calls. Eli has proven himself to me in many games and it's gonna take more than a couple of bad games to give up on him.

i agree with you, however i think a lot of people are dissapointed with eli due to the fact that he was the #1 pick in the draft and what we had to give up for him. to this point, he has not played anywhere near the level that a #1 pick certainly warrants. i have faith in e and i do think he'll turn out to be a great qb, but how great we'll just have to wait and see. some people don't realize that he will never achieve mindblowing stats playing in giants stadium, it's just damn near impossible, and it would be hard pressed to find a qb that would tear it up there. in due time, we'll all see what eli turns out to be, but the dissapointment is in the fact that he is no where near the level of a brady, mcnabb, brees, peyton etc. that's not to say that he's playing poorly but he is right in the middle of the pack. a #1 pick can't afford to be in the middle and get respect, he must step up and prove otherwise if he ever wants to be considered a great qb.

I didn't say I was giving up on him or the season. He missed a few guys who were wide open. He threw into double coverage repeatedly. On SOME plays, he didn't have time. Most plays, he just made bad decisions. Eli only had to manage last night's game. Make some plays here and there. Move the sticks. He couldn't even manage the game last night. I'll give credit to the Bears defense, they played well, but on the whole, Eli, to date, has not warranted the cost we paid to get him...not last night, not yet in his career.

I didn't say I was giving up on him or the season. He missed a few guys who were wide open. He threw into double coverage repeatedly. On SOME plays, he didn't have time. Most plays, he just made bad decisions. Eli only had to manage last night's game. Make some plays here and there. Move the sticks. He couldn't even manage the game last night. I'll give credit to the Bears defense, they played well, but on the whole, Eli, to date, has not warranted the cost we paid to get him...not last night, not yet in his career.

He had a horrible game. As for what we gave up for him? I'm tired of hearing that nonsense. We've had way too many 1st round busts over the years to even think like that. I don't give a rats ass about what we gave up. This isn't the NFL in the 80's, there is free agency now. This is no longer a time when the draft is the only option.