SportsWrath

Philadelphia Phillies @ New York Mets; August 25-27, 2006.

Blue Jeans

PROBABLE PITCHERS

Friday, August 25 Shea Stadium | 7:10 PM ET

Randy Wolf, LHP (2-0, 5.61) @ Brian Bannister, RHP (2-0, 2.89)

Scouting Report:

Wolf, now 2-0 in five starts since returning from Tommy John surgery, did just barely what he needed to do last time out against the Nationals. Staked to a 10-1 lead, Wolf allowed five more runs as the Nationals attempted a comeback that fell short. Wolf, like many of the Phillies pitchers, has been bitten by the home run bug lately, giving up two in each of his last two starts. This will be the left-hander's third start in five against New York. Wolf got the victory in his last start against the Mets, giving up two runs -- both on homers -- on Aug. 15. His other was a four-inning no-decision on Aug. 4.

Bannister was brought to Shea Stadium on Wednesday to throw -- audition -- for pitching coach Rick Peterson. Now he is to make the sixth start of his career Friday night. He made five starts in April before straining his right hamstring. He was to have started for the Mets' Triple-A Norfolk affiliate Friday, so he is on proper rest. He has made four Triple-A starts, pitching eight innings in one and throwing 110 pitches in another. Stamina shouldn't be an issue.

Saturday, August 26 Shea Stadium | 7:10 PM ET

Jon Lieber, RHP (6-9, 5.04) @ Oliver Perez, LHP (2-10, 6.63)

Scouting Report:

Lieber was working out of trouble almost all of his last start, but he did a very good job of stranding runners. He pitched six scoreless innings against the Cubs before allowing three runs in the seventh. Lieber got the win after giving up 11 hits and striking out six in 6 2/3 innings.

The Mets haven't said who their Saturday night starter will be, but with Pedro Martinez disabled, Orlando Hernandez getting extra rest, Tom Glavine not yet ready to return, Brian Bannister starting Friday, John Maine pitching Sunday and Steve Trachsel and Dave Williams assigned other games, Perez appears to the only other option. So the Xavier Nady trade has another way to pay a dividend. Perez has a 1-2 record and a 6.05 ERA in four starts with the Mets' Triple-A Norfolk affiliate. He has allowed 12 walks and 18 hits in 19 1/3 innings.

Sunday, August 27 Shea Stadium | 1:10 PM ET

Jamie Moyer, LHP (7-12, 4.39) @ John Maine, RHP (3-3, 3.58)

Scouting Report:

Moyer gave up three runs on six hits and one walk in his debut with the Phillies on Tuesday. The 43-year-old went six innings and became the oldest Phillies pitcher to win a game. Moyer looked sharp early, holding the Cubs hitless until the fifth inning. He found a little trouble later on, but never relinquished the early lead he was given.

If not for two swings by Albert Pujols, Maine might have had a chance to win his ninth start Tueaday against the Cardinals. But Pujols hit a three-run home run and a grand slam, the eighth and ninth home runs against Maine in 55 1/3 innings this season. The seven runs were one more than Maine had allowed in his previous six apprearances (five starts) and 34 1/3 innings.

Mets News

OF Lastings Milledge optioned to AAA Norfolk, P Brian Bannister promoted to big league club.

Willie Randolph: "It's a one week thing, we feel Lastings would be better off playing mostly LF for the next week and he'll be back when the rosters expand on the first."

Lastings Milledge had a good interview, you could tell he was dissapointed about being demoted but he said all the right things again and said he understood the situation with a number of good OF'ers on the team already.

Mets designate OF Ricky Ledee for assignment.

Mets move C Ramon Castro from 15 Day DL to 60 Day DL who had season ending knee surgery Wednesday.

Mets sign former Yankee C Kelly Stinnett and option him to AAA Norfolk.

After Friday's game expect LHP Dave Williams to be sent down until rosters expand to 40 players on September 1st to make room for LHP Oliver Perez.

Reyes and Lo Duca looked so good hitting tonight vs the Cards, and Chavez and Wright made some sick defensive plays too... if we could only play like that all the time...Wish Wagner could've got another save though

Reyes and Lo Duca looked so good hitting tonight vs the Cards, and Chavez and Wright made some sick defensive plays too... if we could only play like that all the time...Wish Wagner could've got another save though

I don't I'd like Wags to get as much rest as possible since he has been getting a lot of work in regular save situations.

Lots of Mets notes today... I edited, scroll up to first post to read.

I don't I'd like Wags to get as much rest as possible since he has been getting a lot of work in regular save situations.

Lots of Mets notes today... I edited, scroll up to first post to read.

Mets move C Ramon Castro from 15 Day DL to 60 Day DL who had season ending knee surgery Wednesday.

After Friday's game expect LHP Dave Williams to be sent down until rosters expand to 40 players on September 1st to make room for LHP Oliver Perez.

:o

WTF? Castro is that fucked up??? And after the game Williams had that's messed up

:o

WTF? Castro is that fucked up??? And after the game Williams had that's messed up

It's him or Mota, and he seems to be the one more likely to be sent down, he'll be back up.

Although Perez' line doesn't look good at all I am flat out IMPRESSED with this guy. His stuff is AWESOME and the umps royally fucked him and he should have been out of the inning only had given up the one run (maybe not at all)

Did anyone see that pitch RIGHT DOWN THE PIPE called a ball?

Perez = Future

Although Perez' line doesn't look good at all I am flat out IMPRESSED with this guy. His stuff is AWESOME and the umps royally fucked him and he should have been out of the inning only had given up the one run (maybe not at all)

Did anyone see that pitch RIGHT DOWN THE PIPE called a ball?

Perez = Future

I was on my flight home from vacation and didn't realize that he was starting until he started to get into trouble. It was then when I didn't even bother turning on the t.v.

I'll take your word for it though.