SportsWrath

Sterling, "The Voice of the New York Yankees," is not merely a self-promoting clown

LINK

Sterling, "The Voice of the New York Yankees," is not merely a self-promoting clown, he's a dishonest self-promoting clown.

And to accept, at word value, anything - anything - he describes is to make a mistake.

Saturday, during the first two innings of Angels-Yanks, we were stuck in the car, thus we were stuck with Sterling's smug, self-smitten account, which causes a form of car sickness that enters the body through the ears.

According to Sterling, the last out in the top of the second was the result of a spectacular catch made by Melky Cabrera, in left, on a line drive hit by Adam Kennedy.

"A great play!" Sterling hollered. "He stole a hit from Kennedy!"

Funny thing, though, the 50,000 fans in Yankee Stadium, didn't sound nearly as impressed. The out was applauded, but there wasn't that sudden surge in sound that great plays by a home team player normally produce.

The game was on Fox. When we got home we checked the tape. Kennedy had hit a sinking liner at Cabrera, who seemed momentarily confused, but then made a thigh-high catch. It was such a great, hit-stealing play that had Cabrera not made the catch he likely would've been charged with an error.

Yes, we know; this is nothing new with Sterling; it's New York's version of Manny being Manny. Logically, Sterling must similarly exaggerate or fabricate action several times per game.

But, as The Voice of the Yankees and the eyes of hundreds of thousands of baseball fans, game after game, year after year, it's no less galling. He's a radio play-by-play man, often the difference between light and total darkness. As such, he's charged to serve an implicit trust. And, time after time, Sterling betrays that trust.

Oh, by the way, while scrolling through the first two innings of Fox's telecast, we noticed that Juan Rivera was playing right for the Angels. During the first two innings, Sterling identified Rivera as Vladimir Guerrero.

I didn't author this article nor did any Mets fan.

Well, consider Sterling and the author are both part of the media. I'm sure they get some kind of bonus when they exaggerate. We're just not supposed to check up on them.

It's like Kay when he came over from the radio side. He forgets he's on TV, and we can see everything he does.

let me guess, phil mushnik wrote the article. oh wait, it must be raissman, cuz there's no mention about how espn sucks and how overrated the save statistic is

My man Phil wrote it. The media watch dog himself.

Saturday in Fenway, Bobby Abreu sent a high fly to left. On the radio, John Sterling described it thusly: "It is high! It is far! It is gone! . . . I think." Abreu doubled off the wall. Sterling then explained that he lost the ball. And that's OK, such things happen.

But if he didn't know where the ball was - 18 years on this job, did he think to look for the ump's HR signal?

Saturday in Fenway, Bobby Abreu sent a high fly to left. On the radio, John Sterling described it thusly: "It is high! It is far! It is gone! . . . I think." Abreu doubled off the wall. Sterling then explained that he lost the ball. And that's OK, such things happen.

But if he didn't know where the ball was - 18 years on this job, did he think to look for the ump's HR signal?

honestly WHO GIVES A SHIT!?!? it went off the top of the wall...this is fucking ridiculous...sterling is the fucking man....YANKEES WINNNNN THEEEEEE YANKEES WINNNNNNNNNNNN

I'll never forget one thing he did. When Matsui hit a deep fly to center field against the Yanks in game 1 of the 2005 subway series, Beltran jumped up against the wall and caught it. On mike and the maddog that monday, I heard his call. He said it was gone basically right off the bat and then said "wait... no... did he... he caught it? yes he did."

Then like that Abreu thing he blamed the umpires.

And Beltran didn't rob Hideki of a homer, it was a double that would've bounced off against the wall easily.

Sterling's hilarious but he makes really dumbass calls.