SportsWrath

Philadelphia Phillies (52-55) at NY Mets (64-43) gameseries thread 8/04-8/06

Plax 4 Prez

Mets tab Hernandez to open vs. Phillies

Philadelphia (52-55) at New York (64-43), 7:10 p.m. ET

The Mets try to widen their 12-game advantage over the Phillies in the National League East this weekend.

Standing in their way is Chase Utley, who extended his hit streak to 35 games on Thursday in St. Louis.

Utley highlights a solid Phillies lineup that gave Friday's starter Orlando Hernadez trouble in his last outing against them, in which he lasted just three innings and allowed two runs on four hits.

Despite that rough start against the Phillies, "El Duque" has been effective as of late, winning his past three decisions with a total of 22 strikeouts.

Pitching matchup

PHI: LHP Randy Wolf (0-0, 6.23 ERA)

This is Wolf's second start of the season. He worked 4 1/3 innings and allowed three earned runs against the Marlins on July 30.

NYM: RHP Orlando Hernandez (7-8, 5.00 ERA)

El Duque has gone at least seven innings in seven of his past 10 starts.

Player to watch

Pat Burrell is batting .316 with three home runs and 16 RBIs in his past 17 games.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• SNY

On radio

• WFAN 660; WADO 1280 (Español)

Up next

Saturday: Phillies (RHP Jon Lieber, 4-8, 6.09) at Mets (LHP Tom Glavine, 11-4, 3.97), 1:20 p.m. ET

Sunday: Phillies (RHP Scott Mathieson, 1-2, 5.47) at Mets (RHP John Maine, 1-3, 2.45), 8:05 p.m. ET

Monday: Off-day

I couldn't see the play by Wright. It was hit so damn hard that I looked up in the air and looked down and then I noticed the ball going across the diamond into Delgado's glove with Wright on the ground.

I couldn't see the play by Wright. It was hit so damn hard that I looked up in the air and looked down and then I noticed the ball going across the diamond into Delgado's glove with Wright on the ground.

I think that was the best throw in Wright's young career. He's made most of his errors on throws and sometimes it looks like he doesn't throw as hard as some other 3rd basemen. That ball looked like it was shot out of a cannon, on a rope straight to Delgado's glove. Great play all around. The way he snagged it, jumped to his feet and fired across the infield, it was all done in what seemed like a split second. Best defensive play he's made, and he's made quite a few eye openers. :TU: