SportsWrath

So I've been talking draft a lot...here's mine.

gmenroc

Here goes:

Let preface this with the thought that M. Mariota, J. Winston, L. Williams, D. Fowler, and A. Cooper will be selected somewhere in the top 8 picks. I'm really tempted to add Kevin White to that list. So that's 5 or 6 guys we won't get a shot at without trading up. And no, I don't want to trade up.

Round 1

First choice: Brandon Scherff, OT

Second choice: Vic Beasley, LB

Third choice: Danny Shelton, DT

Part of me would be happiest with Beasley, but I think that Scherff is the smarter pick for us. I almost want Scherff to be selected as one of the 3 remaining top 8 picks after those mentioned above and have Beasley fall to us, making drafting him a possibility. But if Scherff is there, I think that has to be the selection. Getting a guy for the new DC might be tempting, and if Beasley is there, it might be too tempting, but re-establishing the running game will help take pressure off OBJ as well as Cruz's injury. Further, we have Shane Vereen now, who can catch well out of the backfield...but the only way he's going out on a passing route is if defenders are blocked.

Round 2

First choice: AJ Cann, OG

Second choice: Laken Tomlinson, OG

Third choice: Preston Smith, DE

I would take a G even if we got Scherff in the first. Pugh, Westburg, Scherff, and Cann/Tomlinson would be a ton of youthful talent that could gel together for years. I think that'd be incredibly valuable. At the same time, we have a new DC and there is something to be said about getting the new coach a player HE can use. Preston Smith may very well be gone by the time we pick in the second. I'd also consider a trade down in this round for a team looking to pick up the 3rd QB in the draft. You have to believe there is a QB-needy team out there that is not going to have a shot at Mariota or Winston that doesn't value the remaining QBs enough to put a bottom first round grade on them, but knows some team is going to take the next two or three QBs in the 2nd and 3rd. Our pick in the 2nd round could be awfully valuable for the third QB taken. But if we do trade down, we should ensure that Cann or Tomlinson will still be available.

Round 3

First choice: Paul Dawson, LB

Second choice: Denzel Perryman, LB

Third choice: Adrion Amos, FS

Now, if we go OT-G in the first two rounds, we have to start addressing our run defense. Given Ayers, JPP, Hankins, Jenkins, Moore, Bromley, Kuhn, Wynn...we've got some guys on the line. The LB position needs some youth injected into it after years of neglect and Dawson or Perryman would provide just that. If however, we land Beasley in the first, I think we could switch our focus to the safety position here in the third where Amos seems to be the best available.

Round 4

First choice: Derron Smith, FS

Second choice: Cody Prewitt, FS

Third choice: Hau'oli Kikaha, LB or Za'Darius Smith, DE

So given my first choices, we'd have gone OT-OG-LB in the first 3 rounds. Given that and what we have returning to the S position, there is simply no way not to get a S in the first 4 rounds. If we end up getting Amos in the 3rd, then I feel a player in the front 7 defensively is still needed. Kikaha or Smith should be available and would both provide good depth for 2015.

Round 5

First choice: Tyler Kraft, TE

Second choice: Ben Koyack, TE

Third choice: Craig Mager, CB

I think TE is a position where we can certainly improve. If for no other reasons, the ship on Adrien Robinson has sailed and to get a guy who has both blocking AND receiving ability. In the 5th round, you expect to give a guy a year to develop the skills he may not have on draft day. CB depth is always important as well, so if the two TEs are gone by the 5th, the best CB available would be the way to go. Mager is an interesting prospect.

Round 6

First choice: Frank Clark, DE

Second choice: Lynden Trail, DE

Third choice: Austin Shepherd, OT

The first choice here is difficult to justify. Clark has character issues which almost immediately seems to remove him from the Giants board. In the 6th round though, it's SIGNIFICANTLY less risk. I've seen him ranked as a 5th rounder who should have been a 3rd or 4th rounder, but dropped due to domestic violence charges. I think there is enough of a playmaker here to take a chance. Even if he ends up not playing a down, the risk-reward favors selecting him at this point. That said, Trail is a prospect that I've read good things about. Shepherd is an OT out of a pro-system who is a late round guy to keep in mind if we miss out on Scherff or some other OT in the early rounds.

Round 7

First choice: Corey Crawford, DE

Second choice: Sean Hickey, OT

Third choice: Darren Waller, WR or Damian Swann, CB

The first and second choices here are simply guys who are alternatives to early round picks should we not get a DE or OT in the first 6 rounds. I think we DO draft those positions, making this selection one of either the best WR available or the best CB available. Waller is ranked as the 26th best WR in the draft, and #188 overall, so admittedly, this is a bit of a stretch. But, theoretically 25 WRs need selected before him, so I think there's a chance he's here. He's 6'6, 238 lbs, and runs a 4.46 40. Swann is a CB with decent cover skills, special team experience, and can blitz. Strength and speed are suspect.

Round 7

First choice: Nick Marshall, CB

Second choice: Tray Walker, CB

Third choice: Antwan Goodley, WR

First choice here looks strange with the CB following his name given he was a college QB. But I'm intrigued by a QB making that transition. Having an offensive understanding while playing on defense, I would think, would be advantageous. Few can make that transition due to the athleticism differences at the QB and CB positions. At 6'1, 207 and as athletic as he is, I think he could take a few years, let us fans forget about him, and then fill in on defense in a given game...surprising us all. Only drawback to selecting him here is that we might be able to get him as an undrafted free agent. But this far down in the 7th round, I'd pull the trigger to avoid that competition. Tray Walker at 6'2, 191 lbs has nice size for a CB and is admittedly ranked higher than Marshall, but I'd take Marshall first given his experience. Not to mention, Marshall has QB experience...not that any Giants fan wants to even talk about that. Lastly, Goodley at 5'10, 209 lbs looks like he could be a nice slot, possession receiver to me.

Undrafted

DE, Deion Barnes

RB, Corey Grant

CB, Nick Marshall

Just some guys to keep an eye on.

So there it is. Feel free to tear it apart and criticize as I've done yours.

Any round in particular?

I like your round 2 guards if we don't go o-line in the first.

and if Beasley fell to us I'd be happy.

But I see no way Perriman makes it to round 3, but what do I know.

I like your round 2 guards if we don't go o-line in the first.

and if Beasley fell to us I'd be happy.

But I see no way Perriman makes it to round 3, but what do I know.

CBS Sports has Perryman as the 4th inside linebacker and # 76 overall. Thought that seemed appropriate for our 3rd rounder at #74 overall. Not to mention, they have 5 outside linebackers ranked overall ahead of Perryman.

But yeah, I certainly don't have all the answers either.

Round one:

First Choice: Erick Flowers OT (his upside far exceeds that of Schreff... I see Flowers as an eventual replacement for the just-adequate Will Beatty)

2nd Choice: Alvin Dupree DE

3rd Choice: Brandon Scherff OG

Round Two:

First Choice: AJ Cann OG (yes I know another OL... let's face it some of the guys we have now are band-aids)

2nd Choice: Jaelen Strong WR

3rd Choice: Damarious Randall S

I've backed off from DT since we have some very young talent that can thrive...

Round Three:

First Choice: Damarious Randall S

2nd Choice: Stephone Anthony LB