SportsWrath

A Hidden Gem that could possibly be had in middle rounds

BleedinBlue

I've mentioned a few in another post like TE Jesse James and DE Anthony Chickillo - 2 monsters who are somewhat under the radar. Especially Chickillo, a hugely athletic 6'4" DE who was played out of his natural position at Miami in a 3-4, but is built and made for the 4-3 therefore skewing his stats. He would thrive in a 4-3 and possibly fly under the radar because of his stats.

But the guy I'm looking at now who could be a steal is Ty Sambrailo out of Colorado State (6'6", 311 lbs). He's an athletic freak and does some things that JPP used to do like crazy ass flips.

Here's his write up:

"Pick-a-Sport: This big boy's unusual athleticism might best be reflected when he does back flips and freestyle tricks skiing, a sport in which he won the USSA titles in the Far West Division for his age group in the slalom and giant slalom. In football, Sambrailo helped turn around the sagging football program at St. Francis Central Coast Catholic High in the little seaside town of Watsonville (Calif.). He was a three-year team captain, played offensive tackle, defensive end, defensive tackle, tight end and placekicker for the Sharks, who advanced to the CIF north Division II playoffs in both 2008 and 2009. Oh yes, he also played soccer and as a junior made second-team all-conference as a kicker in football. At Colorado State, he continued to impress with his overall athleticism as a key blocker in a prolific offense. He has the footwork and agility to be an NFL tackle but may be moved to guard. Only stain on career is 2012 St. Patrick's Day party that got out of hand and Sambrailo was stabbed in the back (required 14 staples), but he is well-liked by teammates who voted him captain last year.

Measuring up: His feel for the sport -- almost any sport -- doesn't seem quantifiable.

Frankly: Sambrailo is that guy who picks up any sport with disgusting ease, but that isn't enough in the NFL. Still, he adds an intense, competitive attitude with a work-all-day ethic and natural leadership and what team doesn't want that?

As a long time skier, I can tell you from experience that anyone who is competitive in the slalom has very fluid hips, exceptional balance, and has to be a total athlete just to make it through the course, let alone win national titles. I can't imagine someone his size and weight competing in that sport and find it even more crazy that he can do ski stunts. These things are just not done by guys who are 6'6" and over 300 lbs. Doesn't even seem possible. Of course, it didn't seem possible to see what JPP used to do as he back flipped across the field like a rabbit on LSD. He must be an unusually gifted athlete.

If he could be picked up in the later rounds, I think he'd be a steal. But I have to wonder how many other teams know about him. I suspect the Patriots do as they seem to draft players few people know about who then turn into stars.

Any sense of where he's projected to be drafted?

Some say 4th or 5th, others say 7th or maybe even go undrafted.

He's an athletic freak and a gym rat, but isn't polished for any position. He could be a TE, a tackle, a guard, or even a DE. But he's going to need NFL coaching and will need to pick one position and develop it.

What are you hearing on this kid......I've seen him play for 3 years.....he's a baller.

C. Wagon

To be honest, I haven't spent 10 minutes analyzing running backs other than Zack Zenner who I am high on. But this kid David Johnson also looks like the real deal. I found an article on SBNation who has dedicated pages for the Giants and think he'd fit into the Giants plans very nicely. On the same token, I have read that the Vikings are targeting him (and also Zack Zenner), so who knows. Kid looks to me like the real deal. This draft is so overloaded with good WR's and RB's that it should be no problem to pick up a couple of good players in that area this year. For WR's, I'm high on Justin Hardy as a slot receiver or Chris Conley and Darren Waller for wideouts. I would add this kid Johnson to my wish list along side Zenner.

Mayock's rundown on him is good and I respect Mayock's opinion, unlike Kiper's.

Here's another good analysis of him (not Mayock) from a writer for the Cowboys: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/2015-nfl-draft-profile-david-johnson-rb-northern-iowa.html/