SportsWrath

NYHC GIANT

0 @ MSG!

Both home games were sellouts, all full at 18,200..... too bad it takes two regular season Devils games to fill one game at MSG.

Something else to think about Panther since we're on the subject of home attendance:

Loudest home arena's....... funny, not one mention of New Jersey.... probably because nobody shows up. :LMAO:

Player Poll: Which is the loudest playoffs arena?The Hockey News

The Hockey News asked 30 players, all from different teams, to name the loudest NHL rink in which they've played a road playoff game.

Of the players polled, five (17 percent) named either the Bell Centre or the old Montreal Forum as the loudest rinks.

The arenas in Calgary and San Jose tied for second, with four votes (13 percent) each, while three players (10 per-cent) picked Chicago. New York (Madison Square Garden), Philly, Edmonton, and Dallas each received two votes (7 percent), while Colorado, Carolina, Toronto, Phoenix, Boston and St. Louis each garnered one vote (three percent).

Subscribe at http://www.thehockeynews.com

"Until you played in the old Chicago Stadium," said Dallas' Sergei Zubov, "you have no idea how loud an arena can be."

Here are the results from each team. Some respondents asked to remain anonymous.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Dallas -- Rob Niedermayer

Atlanta Thrashers Montreal -- Jim Slater

Boston Bruins

Calgary: "That last year in Calgary [2004] was pretty good." -- Brad Stuart

Buffalo Sabres

Philadelphia -- Martin Biron

Calgary Flames

Edmonton: "I don't want to say it, but I'd go with Edmonton, when I was in Chicago. Chicago is still the loudest, but I guess I can't say there because that's who I played for. It was awesome." -- Bryan Marchment

Carolina Hurricanes

St. Louis: "Deafening." -- Aaron Ward

Chicago Blackhawks

San Jose: "It gets pretty rowdy in there." -- Curtis Brown

Colorado Avalanche

Edmonton: "I remember Edmonton being really loud [in 1998]." -- Joe Sakic

Columbus Blue Jackets

Chicago: "It was 1996, when [Colorado] played there in the [1996] conference semifinal. It was incredibly loud.'' -- Adam Foote

Dallas Stars

Chicago: "Until you have played in old Chicago Stadium, you have no idea how loud an arena can be.''-- Sergei Zubov

Detroit Red Wings

San Jose -- Kris Draper

Edmonton Oilers

Dallas: "Dallas is the only one I've played in." -- Georges Laraque

Florida Panthers

New York Rangers -- Jamie McLennan

Los Angeles Kings

Montreal -- Luc Robitaille

Minnesota Wild

Montreal -- Brian Rolston

Montreal Canadiens

Boston: "The rivalry is huge. The noise starts with the signing of the national anthem and continues until the end of the game." -- Francis Bouillon

Nashville Predators

Phoenix -- Paul Kariya

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia -- Brian Gionta

New York Islanders

Toronto: "Both with Ottawa and with the Islanders, I'd say Toronto. Very loud and a good playoff atmosphere." -- Alexei Yashin

New York Rangers

Carolina -- Kevin Weekes

Ottawa Senators

Colorado -- Bryan Smolinski

Philadelphia Flyers

Calgary -- Mike Rathje

Phoenix Coyotes

Calgary -- Mike Ricci

Pittsburgh Penguins

New York Rangers -- Jocelyn Thibault

St. Louis Blues

San Jose -- Bryce Salvador

San Jose Sharks

Calgary -- Patrick Marleau

Tampa Bay Lightning

Montreal -- Anonymous

Toronto Maple Leafs

Chicago: "Chicago Stadium. The arena in Winnipeg was a close second." -- Tie Domi

Vancouver Canucks

San Jose -- Eric Weinrich

Washington Capitals

Montreal -- Anonymous

I really could not care less how many people go to Devils games. When I was in NJ it was good that they did nor sellout so I was albe to get tickets when I wanted to go. Now that I'm not going anyway it really makes no difference. I guess when all you have is the bad hockey the Rangers put on the ice you have to find something other than the hockey to be proud of.

I really could not care less how many people go to Devils games. When I was in NJ it was good that they did nor sellout so I was albe to get tickets when I wanted to go. Now that I'm not going anyway it really makes no difference. I guess when all you have is the bad hockey the Rangers put on the ice you have to find something other than the hockey to be proud of.

The Newark move is the real test for the Devils. If the Devils still don't draw fans now there are no excuses. I can understand Continental Airlines Arena being so far away but Newark should be no excuse with all the mass transportations around.

Newark will not be a success. Not to hurt anyones feelings but blacks just don't enjoy the game of hockey, and who is mostly in Newark? Traffic will be horrendous and I wouldn't be suprised if the Devils have the lowest attendance rating in all of the NHL. This does not change the fact I love the Devils and I could care less about attendance, so I really don't understand why you Ranger fans keep bringing it up. Swept out of round one.

Newark will not be a success. Not to hurt anyones feelings but blacks just don't enjoy the game of hockey, and who is mostly in Newark? Traffic will be horrendous and I wouldn't be suprised if the Devils have the lowest attendance rating in all of the NHL. This does not change the fact I love the Devils and I could care less about attendance, so I really don't understand why you Ranger fans keep bringing it up. Swept out of round one.

I wasn't talking about the blacks, its the rest of the fanbase which will have better access to watch the team. Like people from South and Central Jersey as well as Philly areas who can hop on a train to Newark Penn.

3 stanley cups in the last 11 years, 4 appearances over all....and that is really all that matters, as a fan who cares if the stadium sells out. Sounds like we have another bitter Rangers fan on our hands here.

3 stanley cups in the last 11 years, 4 appearances over all....and that is really all that matters, as a fan who cares if the stadium sells out. Sounds like we have another bitter Rangers fan on our hands here.

...Yeah, real bitter that new jersey shot their load beating us, and where did it get ya.....

To be specific, I have a legit gripe about this team & their arena.

Nobody shows up for their games = the team doesn't earn revenue from ticket sales, concessions, parking, ect....

No revenue from these sources = the organization doesn't make money & actually loses money putting a product on the ice for nobody to watch in person.

Payroll + arena lease to NJSEA > income from ticket sales + TV contract revenue.

Add to this the cost of a new arena & you have a financially unsound organization that has to have the city of Newark & state of NJ foot the bill to the tune of over 400 million. My tax money regardless of fan allegiance is going to what just about everyone (Rangers fans & Devils fans alike) consider a financially shaky venture. I don't have a problem when my tax money is spent on things that will either benefit a downtrodden community (see the waterfront in Newark) or for fixing our rediculous highway system but what I do have a problem with is my money being spent on an arena & a team that nobody will o to see on a consistant basis. Make all the remarks you want about the Rangers having awful records for almost a decade but not once has their management asked for state or city money to renovate or build them a new home (the renovations that took place in the early 80's were paid for by the team).

Why, Devils fans (when it's looked at from a unbiased, non team-affiliated standpoint) do you think that this team deserves it's new multi-million dollar home when nobody goes to see them as it is?

Yes, the Devils, for their fans are entertaining & yes their record does speak for itself but this team doesn't put people in the staduim seats (revenue sharing only accomplishes so much, the primary source of income is ticket sales)..... so why is it they deserve my tax money for an arena that will be exclusive to them (the Nets are going to Brooklyn) aside from the concerts that already count as arena income (since the concert venue will move to Newark as well most likely) & will mostly sit half to only 3/4 full for most of the time?

According to The Hockey News the New Jersey Devils season ticket sales last season only encompassed 8,177 seats sold for the season (mini packages 20 game packages weren't included as they aren't considered a true "season ticket holder"). If Continental holds 19,000+ seats & the new arena is supposed to be slightly bigger then that leaves over 10,000 empty seats to be filled with box office purchases. At the tune of $53.40 which is 5'th highest* (average ticket price, not including what fans must spend to park or on food/concessions), are there 10,000 more fans per game that will turn out for a game that you can no longer drive to (try driving down McCarter highway during rush hour..... it's two lanes each way & there is construction there all the time that reduces the road space available) & will season ticket holders pay more for the newer arena (ticket prices will go up with the costs of the new home)? For the most part, yes and no.... yes, their average attendance for the '03-'04 season was 15,060 (ranked 23'rd)* however as we watched this season there was a significant decline in average attendance. Several games were attended by fewer than 10,000 fans & their average attendance this season was down to 13,955, although this only seems like a small # this constitutes losing $58,740 per game or 2.4 (approx) per season on ticket sales alone, never mind what the team loses in lost concessions & merchandise. If these seats are not filled than I have to tell you that this is not a financially sound business venture for the city of Newark or the state of NJ & quite frankly I don't feel that my tax money should be used for it.

*This information came from The Hockey News 2005-2006 yearbook which was published at the time of training camp.

F.Y.I. Devils fans, the rankings for average ticket prices include these teams in the top 10:

1. Toronto @ $100.00/ticket

2. Montreal @ $62.00/ticket

3. Edmonton @ $60.00/ticket

4. Minnesota @ $58.71/ticket

5. Dallas @ $57.93/ticket

6. Detroit @ $57.11/ticket

7. Vancouver @ $ 56.06/ticket

8. Ottowa @ $54.46/ticket

9. New Jersey @ $53.40/ticket

10. Boston @ 52.30/ticket

BTW, the Rangers were ranked 20'th in average ticket price at $40.00/ticket.