SportsWrath

Draft Stock - who's rising and who's falling

BleedinBlue

Draft Tek does a decent job at ranking players based on the thousands of mocks and dozens of talking heads loosely called "experts" and have monitored 2 months worth of rankings to see whose stock is rising and falling.

So I started to check out the players in the "Top One Hundred" who have risen and fallen by the largest margins. Some of those who have fallen are due to injuries or in most cases, risers have jumped over them and pushed them down a few spots.

I know it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it brings into play, players we may not have been researching and it might help us keep from gagging when the Giants pick a player no one ever heard of while having our hopes set on a specific guy. Anyway...here it is (probably subject to change before draft day)

Fastest risers:

+85 spots: Trai Turner LSU 6'3" / 310lbs OG

+58 spots: JaWuan James Tennessee 6'6" 311 lbs RT

+52 spots: Kareem Martin North Carolina 6'6" 272 lbs DE

+28 spots: Cody Latimer Indiana 6'2" 215 lbs WR

+19 spots: Ka'Deem Carey Arizona 5'9" 207 lbs RB

+18 spots: Billy Turner North Dakota St. 6'5" 315 lbs LOT/ROT

+17 spots: Weston Richburg Colorado St. 6'3" 298 lbs OC

+17 spots: Demarcus Lawrence Boise St. 6'3" 251 lbs DE/OLB

+15 spots: Christian Jones Florida St. 6'3" 240 lbs OLB43

+15 spots: Jimmie Ward Northern Illinois 5'11" 193 lbs FS

+12 spots: Zack Martin Notre Dame 6'4" 308 lbs LT/OG

+12 spots: Xavier Su'a-Filo UCLA 6'4" 307 lbs OG

+12 spots: Joel Bitonio Nevada 6'4" 302 lbs LOT/ROT

+12 spots: Gabe Jackson Mississippi St. 6'3" 336 lbs OG

Biggest fallers:

-34 spots: Trent Murphy Stanford 6'5" 250 DE/OLB

-16 spots: David Yankey Stanford 6'6" 315 lbs OG/LT

-12 spots: Jack Mewhort Ohio St. 6'6" 309 lbs RT/LT

-10 spots: Stephon Tuitt Notre Dame 6'5" 304 lbs DE/DT

-8 spots: Will Clarke West Va. 6'6" 273 lbs DE34

-7 spots: Bishop Sankey Washington 5'9" 209 lb RB/FB

-7 spots: Shayne Skov Stanford 6'2" 245 lbs ILB

-7 spots: Tre Mason Auburn 5'8" 207 lbs RB

-7 spots: Ego Ferguson LSU 6'3" 315 lbs DT43

-7 spots: Kelvin Benjamin Florida St. 6'5" 240 lbs WR

-6 spots: Chris Borland Wisconsin 5'11" 248 lbs ILB

-6 spots: Anthony Johnson LSU 6'2" 308 lbs DT

-6 spots: Marcus Martin USC 6'3" 320 lbs OC

-6 spots: Yawin Smallwood Connecticut 6'2" 246 lbs ILB

-5 spots: Carlos Hyed Ohio St. 6'0" 230 lbs RB

Why the fall for Yankey?

I was wondering the same thing and I haven't seen any reasoning behind it. And I think he's one that the Giants have spent quite a bit of time with and I figured he'd be a target of them because of it. But who knows? Maybe because he's an Australian and some coaches don't think Aussie's are good at football or something. Hard to figure because he isn't injured and he was a solid player and one of the best at Stanford.

He's still ranked 40th overall even with the 16 spot fall (basically dropped out of first round and into early second). Compare that to Trai Turner who is the biggest riser, but is still ranked only 88th after that 85 spot jump. Could have a lot to do with players getting moved up the board and since OG is not a position that is usually found in the first round spots, he's been bumped down.

I will be researching though, and if I come up with something I will post it.

I think the falling number on Yankey is a fluke. When you look at his accomplishments, it's mind boggling. He is known as a "pusher" who will make holes for the RB, but also is fleet enough with his feet to have played OT. Check it out:

As a Senior (2013)

• Team captain

• Unanimous All-American

• Eighth unanimous All-American in program history

• First two-time first team All-American since Bob Whitfield (1990-91)

• Walter Camp All-America first team

• AFCA All-America first team

• FWAA All-America first team

• Sporting News All-America first team

• Associated Press All-America first team

• USA Today All-America first team

• SI.com All-America first team

• CBSSports.com All-America first team

• ESPN.com All-America first team

• Phil Steele All-America first team

• Athlon Sports All-America first team

• Athlon Sports All-Pac-12 first team

• ESPN.com All-Pac-12

• Sporting News All-Pac-12

• All-Pac-12 first team

• Phil Steele All-Pac-12 first team

• Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention

• Stanford's Al Masters Award

• Maxwell Award watch list

• Outland Trophy watch list

• Outland Trophy semifinalist

• Lombardi Award watch list

• Lombardi Award semifinalist

• ESPN.com Midseason All-America (Oct. 15)

Nation's top interior lineman

• Part of the nation's top offensive lines

As a Junior (2012)

• Consensus All-American

• Associated Press All-America second team

• Sporting News All-America first team

• AFCA All-America first team

• Phil Steele All-America second team

• CBSSports.com All-America second team

• All-Pac-12 first team

• Outland Trophy Watch List

• Morris Trophy (Pac-12’s Outstanding Offensive Lineman)

• Recipient of team’s Outstanding Junior Award

Top "pulling" offensive lineman in the nation

• Started all 14 games at left tackle after playing previous season at left guard

• Played four of five offensive line positions, in addition to tight end and wing

• Graded at 86 percent and allowed one sack

• Led an offensive line with 37 returning starts (103rd in FBS)

• Protected two first-year starting quarterbacks for conference-low 17 sacks in regular season

• Paved way for Stepfan Taylor’s 1,530 rushing yards, second highest total in school history

Yankey was born in Sydney but he's been in the US since he was 8. I thought he was Polynesian from his photo but his mother is Czech and his father is from Ghana.

Ha...I figured you'd know about any player born down under.

He had poor workouts. Which caused scouts to reevaluate his tape.

That could be a blessing if he falls far enough for the Giants to snag him later. Unfortunately, JR puts more emphasis on workouts and the combine than he does on a player's accomplishments. However, we are told that JR isn't going to do that this year. I guess we'll see. I'd love to have Yankey on our team....right next to Zack Martin or Taylor Lewan :)

That could be a blessing if he falls far enough for the Giants to snag him later. Unfortunately, JR puts more emphasis on workouts and the combine than he does on a player's accomplishments. However, we are told that JR isn't going to do that this year. I guess we'll see. I'd love to have Yankey on our team....right next to Zack Martin or Taylor Lewan :)

Yankey doesn't seem to be a fit for the ZBS, Which requires guards to be more athletic. Yankey is more of a one speed guy and more of a bulldozer type

Yankey doesn't seem to be a fit for the ZBS, Which requires guards to be more athletic. Yankey is more of a one speed guy and not light on his feet.

That's what I've read..."extremely big and strong, not particularly athletic. Great for pushing and pulling the line to benefit the run game". In fact, probably best in the game for the run game.

If they had both Mack (extremely athletic, very quick, and exceptional feet technique to guard QB, not a pusher/puller) and Yankey, they could swap them out for plays.

I would love to have Yankey on the front line in the red zone.

Sounds like Mitch Petrus. Strong isn't anything without technique.

Petrus never won an award in college ball (but was chosen second team SEC once), and was chosen entirely on his impressive combine. He was ranked as the 166th best prospect in the 2010 draft - good for a 5th-7th rd pick. Football interfered with Petrus' music career where he played guitar for the "Vikings of the North Atlantic" and never really had his head in the game. Strong as an ox, not a baller.

Yankey has a résumé that hasn't been matched in twenty four years (i.e., "first two-time first team All-American" since Bob Whitfield in 1990). Yankey is a proven commodity going against high power competition and being named the best offensive guard by every possible publication and sports community. He has fallen to being ranked 40th in the strongest draft in a decade and is ranked number one overall for guards. He's a true baller and has the résumé to prove it.

Not really a comparison.

Football interfered with Petrus' music career where he played guitar for the "Vikings of the North Atlantic" and never really had his head in the game. Strong as an ox, not a baller.

Not to be confused with the "Vikings of the South Pacific."

I was pulling for Petrus, but definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Petrus never won an award in college ball (but was chosen second team SEC once), and was chosen entirely on his impressive combine. He was ranked as the 166th best prospect in the 2010 draft - good for a 5th-7th rd pick. Football interfered with Petrus' music career where he played guitar for the "Vikings of the North Atlantic" and never really had his head in the game. Strong as an ox, not a baller.

Yankey has a résumé that hasn't been matched in twenty four years (i.e., "first two-time first team All-American" since Bob Whitfield in 1990). Yankey is a proven commodity going against high power competition and being named the best offensive guard by every possible publication and sports community. He has fallen to being ranked 40th in the strongest draft in a decade and is ranked number one overall for guards. He's a true baller and has the résumé to prove it.

Not really a comparison.

While that could be true, is there any real evidence to it?

I doubt actual rankings by GMs are rising and falling like that. Maybe at the lower levels, where there are less pieces of game tape, or against lesser competition, but upper echelon guys dropping due to a bad practice after multiple years of good football?

Dropping a spot or two, sure. But I'd bet the first couple rounds aren't going to change much overall; and a lot of this is due to really bored people over-analysing things with the extra time.

But I'd love Yankey being there for us in the second round.