SportsWrath

Giants Draft writeup

HOUND

Draft Report

Giants draft drew praise from the folks at Great Blue North Draftniks. Despite the blue reference, these guys are not a Giants site. They host a good draft blog that I visit ever year.

They did a real nice writeup on the Kiwanuka pick and offered additional justification for it. For those chirping that Kiwi wasn't first round material, pay attention to his ranking going into last years draft. They had him as high a 3rd overall!

Surprisingly the only pick they didn't seem high on was Peprah, who I thought was one of our better second day selections.

I really wanted the Giants to address OT on the first day and am not convinced that Whimper will be ready to take the reins next season. The good news is that the Tackle class in next years draft appears loaded. Although a lot can change between now and then.

Draft Report

Giants draft drew praise from the folks at Great Blue North Draftniks. Despite the blue reference, these guys are not a Giants site. They host a good draft blog that I visit ever year.

They did a real nice writeup on the Kiwanuka pick and offered additional justification for it. For those chirping that Kiwi wasn't first round material, pay attention to his ranking going into last years draft. They had him as high a 3rd overall!

Surprisingly the only pick they didn't seem high on was Peprah, who I thought was one of our better second day selections.

I really wanted the Giants to address OT on the first day and am not convinced that Whimper will be ready to take the reins next season. The good news is that the Tackle class in next years draft appears loaded. Although a lot can change between now and then.

I don't think that Whimper was drafted with the intention of starting him next season.

I don't think that Whimper was drafted with the intention of starting him next season.

No. I agree that he's more of a developmental project. I should've been more clear.

It was my hope, going into the draft that a first day Tackle prospect could get some playing time this season which would then potentially free us of Petitgout and his hefty cap hit next season when we cut him. I agree that Whimper won't be far enough along to enable us to do that.

"William Joseph on the nose, Strahan and Umenyiora at the DEs, and Arrington, Tuck and BC94 standing up just off the line of scrimmage"

If Lewis can work something like that out, man thats going to be fun to watch. I also liked the preview of next year. I know our chances of getting Joe Thomas are slim but many think he's going to be a great LT in the pros.

No. I agree that he's more of a developmental project. I should've been more clear.

It was my hope, going into the draft that a first day Tackle prospect could get some playing time this season which would then potentially free us of Petitgout and his hefty cap hit next season when we cut him. I agree that Whimper won't be far enough along to enable us to do that.

That's why I would have loved to get a guy like Justice at 32. But I guess there had to be reasoning for his major freefall.

I think we should be looking either RB (depending on what we see out of Jacobs/Ward this season), LT, and Paul Posluzny from PSU. I doubt he'd fall to 32 but does he play WILL or SAM?

Edited by gateb

"William Joseph on the nose, Strahan and Umenyiora at the DEs, and Arrington, Tuck and BC94 standing up just off the line of scrimmage"

If Lewis can work something like that out, man thats going to be fun to watch. I also liked the preview of next year. I know our chances of getting Joe Thomas are slim but many think he's going to be a great LT in the pros.

Imagine the blitz possibilities with that combo.

I've been a defender of Tim Lewis in the past when people have bashed him on this board but I'll say this, he has no excuse this season. We have personnel that afford us many different looks and blitzes this season that we previously didn't have. If we go into week 1 and sit in our base defense and don't mix things up on Peyton, we'll get picked apart. If that's the case I'll be furious with Lewis. Peyton's specialty is audibling into a different call based on what he thinks the D is throwing at him. Lewis has had plenty of time to get creative. This is a perfect opportunity to use all the talents at our disposal in the front 7. Also, if ever there was an opponent where it may not hurt us as much to be weak at DT it's the Colts. I don't see them committing to a run game aimed at exploiting a soft middle. I want to see this game play out similar to our week 1 demoltion of the Rams a few years ago. Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush, that generates havoc and forces turnovers. We've got the pieces in place.

Imagine the blitz possibilities with that combo.

I've been a defender of Tim Lewis in the past when people have bashed him on this board but I'll say this, he has no excuse this season. We have personnel that afford us many different looks and blitzes this season that we previously didn't have. If we go into week 1 and sit in our base defense and don't mix things up on Peyton, we'll get picked apart. If that's the case I'll be furious with Lewis. Peyton's specialty is audibling into a different call based on what he thinks the D is throwing at him. Lewis has had plenty of time to get creative. This is a perfect opportunity to use all the talents at our disposal in the front 7. Also, if ever there was an opponent where it may not hurt us as much to be weak at DT it's the Colts. I don't see them committing to a run game aimed at exploiting a soft middle. I want to see this game play out similar to our week 1 demoltion of the Rams a few years ago. Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush, that generates havoc and forces turnovers. We've got the pieces in place.

I agree completely but Im still worried about our secondary. Hopefully we can hide the flaws of our dbacks with an unstoppable pass rush. We have plenty of talent to get to the QB during any week, there definitely isnt any excuses anymore.

Secondary is better than a year ago but yes, to advance far in January we'll need to compensate for that flaw with a vicious pass rush. IMHO we're 2 players away from a Super Bowl title. A better than average cornerback and a run plugging defensive tackle. :flex:

However that's as of right now.

This time next year we may still need those pieces but we may also need a WR, OT, and RB :cwy:

Just goes to show how hard it is to be a consistent contender in this league.

Secondary is better than a year ago but yes, to advance far in January we'll need to compensate for that flaw with a vicious pass rush. IMHO we're 2 players away from a Super Bowl title. A better than average cornerback and a run plugging defensive tackle. :flex:

However that's as of right now.

This time next year we may still need those pieces but we may also need a WR, OT, and RB :cwy:

Just goes to show how hard it is to be a consistent contender in this league.

Exactly, there's never going to be a Celtics of 40 years ago or something like that. There's a window in the NFL. And that window shuts ever year. The Colts' oppurtunity is running out, which is why they have to win fast. The Eagles' window appeared to shut on them last year, just in a different way.

Ours is starting to get as wide as it can be.

That's why I would have loved to get a guy like Justice at 32. But I guess there had to be reasoning for his major freefall.

I think we should be looking either RB (depending on what we see out of Jacobs/Ward this season), LT, and Paul Posluzny from PSU. I doubt he'd fall to 32 but does he play WILL or SAM?

Justice just doesn't have the feet quick enough to play LT in the NFL, Philadelphia most likely use Justice to replace Runyan on the right side of the line..... either that or Shawn Andrews will slide outside to tackle & Justice will replace him inside at guard.

The other reason for his freefall was his arrest history :

The major problem with Justice is his legal history. He was arrested in 2004 and suspended the entire season for brandishing a fake firearm on a fellow student. Also, before entering USC he was arrested for soliciting prostitution.

Just one more thing from this article for Lockspaz & his man-crush Brodie Croyle:

QB Brodie Croyle, a weak-armed development type who likely will never be more than a backup