SportsWrath

Antrel Rolle recruiting tight end Jermichael Finley

Nas

Anyone reading that if the Saints tag Jimmy Graham with the franchise tag, he is going to dispute it. Why? On the grounds that "I'm not really a tight end, they line me all over the field."

I find this laughable, because well...he was DRAFTED as a tight end. Plus, the guy was fucking invisible against the Seahawks.

Anyone reading that if the Saints tag Jimmy Graham with the franchise tag, he is going to dispute it. Why? On the grounds that "I'm not really a tight end, they line me all over the field."

I find this laughable, because well...he was DRAFTED as a tight end. Plus, the guy was fucking invisible against the Seahawks.

Lots of guys don't play the position the were drafted from.

It is kind of a grey area though. If he's lined up off the line for more than 50% of his snaps he should be able to argue he's more of a WR than a TE, and deserves WR money if they want to tag him.

you have to roster a TE right? and he's listed as a TE on the depth chart? i don't see him winning this. colston was drafted as a TE too but he never lines up as one and hasn't been listed as one since his rookie season. i'm guessing that the deciding factor is how the team lists you on their depth chart

according to the cba

The Exclusive Franchise Tender shall be a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the average of the five largest Salaries in Player Contracts for that League Year as of the end of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period that League Year, as set forth in Article 9, Section 2(e), for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which he participated in the most plays during the prior League Year, or (B) the amount of the Required Tender under Subsec­ tion (a) (i) above, whichever is greater. [emphasis ours]

and according to espn he played the majority of his snaps as a wide receiver. the argument will be how a tight end is designated. but it's not like graham doesn't have an argument.

same thing happened with suggs a few years back, he played mostly with his hand in the dirt as a de but they tried to tag him as a linebacker. he fought it and they settled and it was a middle ground with the money being closer to defensive end than linebacker.