SportsWrath

Pittsburgh Pirates (8-20) at New York Mets (17-9) at 7:10 on 5/3/06

Plax 4 Prez

Martinez looks for sixth straight win

7411.jpg vs 4875.jpg

Pittsburgh (8-20) at NY Mets (17-9) 7:10 pm EDT

FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) -- With three Cy Young Awards already in his trophy case, Pedro Martinez is off to a great start as he aims for his fourth.

Martinez tries to open the season with his sixth consecutive victory Wednesday when the New York Mets begin a two-game series against the struggling Pittsburgh Pirates.

After capturing the award in 1997, 1999 and 2000 as a member of the Boston Red Sox, Martinez (5-0, 2.94 ERA) has won the first five games of a season for the third time in his career. In 33 2/3 innings, he has given up 12 runs and 19 hits, striking out 33 and walking just 11.

Carlos Beltran and Paul Lo Duca belted solo home runs as the Mets managed three hits and lost for just the second time in seven games with Tuesday's 6-2 defeat against the Washington Nationals.

Having won three of five after losing seven straight, the Pirates give the ball to Ian Snell (1-2, 5.79), who makes his first career start against the Mets. He yielded one run and five hits in seven innings of Friday's win over Philadelphia.

Zach Duke tossed a five-hitter for his first career shutout and Jeromy Burnitz hit a two-run homer to lead the Pirates to an 8-0 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday.

thats 3 blown saves in 10 chances for Billy. Of course we will all be blinded by his ERA and K numbers. But in my book thats 30%.

1-1 so far in games he has blown, lets see tonight. :TD:

Damn, can't we get a closer that goes 1-2-3?

His velocity is up there... I just don't know what the hell is going on.

what is going on is that Billy Wagner is very overrated and has been for years. 3 out of 10. I do not believe that even Looper was that bad this early in the season last year. Shit even Benitez got the shitty saves done vs crap like the Pirates and Nats(2 teams Billy has spit the bit against).

I don't care if he's overrated or not, he's a hell of an upgrade over Looper and he sure isn't pitching that way. Need to improve now Billy.

Now the bandwagoners are at the stadium booing :TD:

I don't care if he's overrated or not, he's a hell of an upgrade over Looper and he sure isn't pitching that way. Need to improve now Billy.

Now the bandwagoners are at the stadium booing :TD:

they should boo, they sat there through a fucking monsoon to see Pedro go to 6-0 vs this garbage AAA team only to see their overrated closer blow yet another lead vs a shit team. They have every right to boo, this is inexuseable IMO.

:doh:

And to cap off the night, Matsui makes an error. This is 2004 Mets right here.

that was a tough play. fuck wagner, pedro should punch im in the mouth

that motherfucker has now cost pedro and glavine a win a piece. :TD:

Wagner needs a bit of a wake up call. He'll be fine but I'd rather him be fine a little quicker.

His type of story and the way he can throw for a lefty probably contributes to why he is overrated. But he's still a pretty damn good pitcher.

The Rays are finally a notch above triple AAA now, even without Cantu and Huff.

It's not as if Mo has been smooth sailing so far this year either.

Aside from Bradford, this bullpen has been extremely impressive throughout this whole season.

The Rays are finally a notch above triple AAA now, even without Cantu and Huff.

It's not as if Mo has been smooth sailing so far this year either.

Aside from Bradford, this bullpen has been extremely impressive throughout this whole season.

Aside from Bradford? Surely you mean Julio and Oliver :confused:

Bradford has been fine for his 5th 6th inning get a righty out role.

Aside from Bradford? Surely you mean Julio and Oliver :confused:

Bradford has been fine for his 5th 6th inning get a righty out role.

I meant Wagner. I'm heading out, long night.

Julio is improving, just leaves one or two pitches over the middle of the plate a game and never gets away with them.