SportsWrath

UDFA's Who Could Make the Team - "Experts" opinions

BleedinBlue

The question was asked of three Giants' beat writers on Giants.com:

Which undrafted free agent has the best chance to make the team?

MICHAEL EISEN: Safety Alonzo Tweedy. The Giants need depth at that position and Tweedy could also help on special teams.

JOHN SCHMEELK: I'm going with Brandon Collins from last season. He showed a lot in the slot at mandatory minicamp. He barely lost out to David Douglas least season, and has an outside shot of making the 53 as the fifth WR. If he doesn't, he has a great shot at the practice squad. CB Charles James and LB Etienne Sabino are two other guys with a good shot.

DAN SALOMONE: Brandon Collins. If Randle benefitted the most from Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz being away, Collins was second on that list. Since his first go-around last year, he continues to show he can make plays in the slot. This year, he kept finding open ground to connect with Manning and the other quarterbacks.

Personally, I like Tweedy because of his reckless abandon on special teams. He's super fast and sniffs out the guy with the ball like a heat-seeking missile. We haven't had a true "gunner" since we lost Tyree. Also, TC was amazed at his ability as long-snapper (I used to know a girl with a long snapper, but I digress) and apparently shoots the ball to the kicker like it's coming out of a rifle giving him an extra half second or so to setup and kick.

I also like TE Chase Clement, but (like the D-line) there's a bit of a log jam at that position (a good problem to have). I suspect he'll be on the practice squad and be brought up after one of the TE's gets hurt.

It will be interesting to see the final 53 man roster and see who makes the team. I suspect that some of the old will get cut, like Austin, Sash, and maybe Barden.

The question was asked of three Giants' beat writers on Giants.com:

Which undrafted free agent has the best chance to make the team?

Personally, I like Tweedy because of his reckless abandon on special teams. He's super fast and sniffs out the guy with the ball like a heat-seeking missile. We haven't had a true "gunner" since we lost Tyree. Also, TC was amazed at his ability as long-snapper (I used to know a girl with a long snapper, but I digress) and apparently shoots the ball to the kicker like it's coming out of a rifle giving him an extra half second or so to setup and kick.

I also like TE Chase Clement, but (like the D-line) there's a bit of a log jam at that position (a good problem to have). I suspect he'll be on the practice squad and be brought up after one of the TE's gets hurt.

It will be interesting to see the final 53 man roster and see who makes the team. I suspect that some of the old will get cut, like Austin, Sash, and maybe Barden.

Lol on the long snapper comment

All kidding aside, the Giants have Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Will Hill, and the rookie Cooper who all figure will likely make the team. The Giants are unlikely to carry more than 4 safeties, but if they do, you have to think that it will be very difficult for a converted LB like Tweedy to make it, with Sash and Ryan Mundy, a guy they traded for, maybe battling for a mythical 5th safety spot.

IF Tweedy can take DeOssie's job as the long snapper, that's another story. Personally I doubt it. At 197, even if he gained 20 lbs, I don't see how he could hold up against very large dudes across the LOS.

I think he is a surefire bet for the practice squad and insurance if guys get hurt. I think Coach Quinn would LOVE to have him on specials, and he would figure to have great value there. But it's going to be tough.

Collins, that's another story. That 5th receiver race is wide open. Collins has a terrific chance. And if I'm an odds-maker, I'd put Collins down as better than an even chance to make it as the 5th receiver as the roster is currently contructed. The Giants need to find a quality slot receiver to play behind Cruz, either to develop him if Cruz leaves as a UFA after this season, or in case of an injury. Jernigan has not won hearts and minds with his play, and therefore, Collins has a real opportunity to be a guy that can develop into a valuable commodity as a slot receiver, but must perform on specials (which Jernigan has not done very well, either).

To me, Barden is a long shot unless they carry 6 receivers. Barden was a luxury signing unless someone gets hurt, he knows the offense and can step in on the outside. But he's not a real contributor on specials, and that means Collins could have a leg up on him.

All kidding aside, the Giants have Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Will Hill, and the rookie Cooper who all figure will likely make the team. The Giants are unlikely to carry more than 4 safeties, but if they do, you have to think that it will be very difficult for a converted LB like Tweedy to make it, with Sash and Ryan Mundy, a guy they traded for, maybe battling for a mythical 5th safety spot.

IF Tweedy can take DeOssie's job as the long snapper, that's another story. Personally I doubt it. At 197, even if he gained 20 lbs, I don't see how he could hold up against very large dudes across the LOS.

I think he is a surefire bet for the practice squad and insurance if guys get hurt. I think Coach Quinn would LOVE to have him on specials, and he would figure to have great value there. But it's going to be tough.

Collins, that's another story. That 5th receiver race is wide open. Collins has a terrific chance. And if I'm an odds-maker, I'd put Collins down as better than an even chance to make it as the 5th receiver as the roster is currently contructed. The Giants need to find a quality slot receiver to play behind Cruz, either to develop him if Cruz leaves as a UFA after this season, or in case of an injury. Jernigan has not won hearts and minds with his play, and therefore, Collins has a real opportunity to be a guy that can develop into a valuable commodity as a slot receiver, but must perform on specials (which Jernigan has not done very well, either).

To me, Barden is a long shot unless they carry 6 receivers. Barden was a luxury signing unless someone gets hurt, he knows the offense and can step in on the outside. But he's not a real contributor on specials, and that means Collins could have a leg up on him.

Tweedy could never be the long snapper - way too small to be on the line. He's a gunner and can play FS and possibly some CB - he's lightning fast with an innate ability to find the guy with the ball almost the same time the guy with the ball realizes he has it.

Chase Clements is the only one on the team who could be a long snapper should something happen to DeOssie. Clements started as a DE, then was switched to the offensive line for a couple of years. Because of his agility (compared to typical linemen) his coach converted him to a blocking TE in his senior year. I don't know why they have had him practice long snapping during the OTA's (maybe DeOssie wasn't there), but he was and his ability to shoot the ball out like a rifle impressed TC. What that means...I don't know.

Ryan Mundy was a free agent so we didn't give away anything to get him. He's signed for 1-year at 715k, but I agree that he makes the team just as insurance after losing Philips.

I've put together my 53-man list, which is probably useless because a couple of players will go down with injuries before the season starts. But here it is anyway:

Offense 25

QB (2): Manning, Nassib

RB (3): Wilson, Brown, (Cox / Scott)

FB (1): Pascoe (also TE)

TE (3): Myers, Robinson, Clements (long snapper and backup FB)

WR (5): Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Murphy, (Jernigan / Barden / Collins)

OT (4): Beatty, Pugh (can also play OG), Diehl, Mosley

OG (5): Brewer (can also play OT), Snee, Boothe, Herman, Capers

OC (2): Baas, Cordle

Defense 25

DE (4): Kiwanuka, Tuck, (Tracy / Ojomo), Moore (also plays LB / Joker)

DT (4): Joseph, Jenkins, Hankins, Patterson

OLB (4): Williams, Paysinger, Curry, Rivers

ILB (2): Herzlich, Connor

CB (5): Amukamara, Webster, Ross, Hosley, James

FS (3): Rolle, Hill, Thomas (can also play CB)

SS (3): Brown, Mundy, Cooper Taylor (will also play some LB / Joker)

Special Teams 3

Long Snapper (1): Zak DeOssie (Chase Clements backup - already accounted for as TE)

P (1): Steve Weatherford

K (1): Josh Brown

(Long shot: Gunner: Alonzo Tweedy also plays FS)

PUP

Marcus Kuhn, Henry Hynoski, Jason Pierre-Paul

IR

Cuts to regulars: Sash, Austin, Carr,