SportsWrath

A closer look at Henry Hynoski (aka "Hynocerous" ) and his value to the Giants

BleedinBlue

It's getting harder and harder to find anything worth reading football-wise these days, but I found these and thought I'd pass along.

From SBNation:

The Giants are one of the few teams who consistently use a fullback -- and according to Pro Football Focus are the team that benefits most from the play of their fullback. The continued importance of the run game to Tom Coughlin should not be understated and this year we I expect the Giants to have more rushing opportunities (last year they were 22nd in the league in attempts). Hynoski's continued development as well as the second year for the exciting Wilson and the addition of Pugh in the lineup sets up the Giants with perhaps their best running game weapons since 2008.

From ProFootballFocus:

Following the Fullbacks

Who doesn't love a good, crunching lead block? You know the kind.... I-formation, the guard and tackle open up the b-gap, the fullback rams through like a man possessed and wipes the linebacker out of the play as his running back scampers all the way home for a score.

But what a fullback does and how they are viewed are often two very different things. Reputations are often made with a few highlight reel hits, and then you get the adulation if your top back has himself an impressive yards per carry. But look at it this way. Last year only 19 players lined up at the fullback spot (whether I-formation or Offset I) on more than 100 occasions, and only 36 were used at least 50 times.

Now, of those, it won't surprise anyone to know that in terms of the highest yards a team rushed for when a player was lined up at fullback, Jerome Felton led the way with a 6.3 yard per lead block average. In fact only he and the recently released Patrick DiMarco (6.2) averaged anything over 5 yards per lead block.

But what's more interesting to me isn't the yardage they managed or even how many touchdowns (where the Texans had 17 rushing touchdowns with James Casey lined up at fullback), it's the success rate their teams had when they were lined up at fullback. For those wondering how we determine a "success rate", I'll define it the same way a number of the teams we work with do: collecting 40% of required yardage on first down, 60% of required yardage on second down, and 100% on either third or fourth down.

To see the chart, go to:

The Giants' "Hynocerous" leads the way in an indication of the Giants' rushing attack being far more potent when he is on the field (he was also lined up at fullback for 15 of their touchdown runs). Behind him you get Will Tukuafu whose 46.67% puts the 39.27% of Bruce Miller (who finished 13th) to shame.

Of course it isn't simply down to the lead back being on the field that teams pick up these yards, but even in the modern game that is more and more pass heavy, let's not forget the important role these guys play.

That sucks. Any time frame for recovery and back to work?

Done some research and will answer my own question.

Hynoski says he'll be ready for game 1 of the regular season. Hope he can and hope he is 100% when he does get back.

Here's an interesting story from BBV. The article discusses what the Giants might do for a fullback until Hynoski is back. One option they mention is to sign FA Mike Cox - a veteran who played for Atlanta last year. And call the guy "Michael" for heaven's sake! Not much difference between Mike Cox and Mike Hunt. Both set you up for the obvious.

Then I got thinking....didn't we just draft a Michael Cox? And yup, we did. Wouldn't that be a hoot to have two Michael Cox's on the same team?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/23/4359754/henry-hynoski-new-york-giants-bear-pascoe