SportsWrath

Giants 5th Round Pick (158) - Charlie Peprah, S, Alabama

Goliath

my recommendation....buy a better magazine...

He has good ball skills and is a great leader....on top of being a very good athlete..."may lack the speed and quickness to play corner"? well, I guess you could draw that conclusion if you looked at his 40 time rather than game tape...."and the size to play saftey"? He is 5 foot 10, 206 pounds...that isn't big enough to play saftey?

I hope your right

I guess it just kind of caught me off gurd when his name was announced...do you think he is more of a safety or corner in the pros?

I thought Peprah was a solid pick in round 5. He carries an immediate starting grade on special teams. He was one of the Defensive Team Captains too so the guy obviously was doing something right. He isn't small but he isn't big either. That being said, his size shouldn't limit him from contributing as a strong safety. Here's some tidbits from Coyle's profile:

Positives: Showed the ability to matchup with tight ends in coverage and fill the lanes in run support. Strong physical player who likes to deliver the hit. Has experience playing cornerback. Good balance, lateral movement and backpedal. Well defined coverage skills that could translate well as a cornerback in a cover 2. Played corner at East-West game and performed well. Displays strong tackling skills and play reading ability. Good closing skills with the ability to separate the ball from the reciever. Is always around the ball in run support and plays like an extra 'backer in the box. Shows good range in the 2 deep cover zone and matches up well in coverage. Nice combination of size, instincts, speed, athleticism, and playmaking ability. Has the tools to devlop into a fine Strong Safety with versatility to play dime early in his career. Solid prospect carrying middle round grade.

Negatives: Will need to adjust to faster playing speed of NFL caliber tight ends. May struggle in this capacity. As a corner prospect, doesn't possess ideal recovery speed.

I was hoping we'd add a safety on day 2. Peprah is a fine prospect and decent value in round 5. There were only 2 other guys I might've preferred with the pick ... DT Rod Wright or LB Omar Gaither. All in all, I've got no complaints with the selection. Something tells me Brimmer and Shivers chances of making the roster just took a hit!

I hope your right

I guess it just kind of caught me off gurd when his name was announced...do you think he is more of a safety or corner in the pros?

He is more than likely going to be a saftey in this leauge...for a saftey he has bery nice athletic ability, but as a corner he might be a step slow.

My thoughts on Charlie Peprah is that he doesn't add that much over James Butler and Quentin Harris

Our main problem last year in our secondary was speed and coverage deep. Peprah has only decent speed.

If EA was serious about upgrading our secondary, we should have drafted Jimmy Williams instead of Matthias Kiwanuka.

In the 5th round I would have much prefered to draft Babatunde Oshinowo and further bolster our interior Dline

My thoughts on Charlie Peprah is that he doesn't add that much over James Butler and Quentin Harris

Our main problem last year in our secondary was speed and coverage deep. Peprah has only decent speed.

If EA was serious about upgrading our secondary, we should have drafted Jimmy Williams instead of Matthias Kiwanuka.

In the 5th round I would have much prefered to draft Babatunde Oshinowo and further bolster our interior Dline

Does your comment mean your unhappy with our 1st round pick??

Harris will have a difficult time making the team. He really struggles on defense; the only thing he brings to the table is special teams ability. If Peprah can play well on specials, then Harris is out ... Peprah can actually play safety (contrary to certain people's reports, he he has good speed for the position).

I think the process of upgrading the secondary took place in free agency. Any rookie DB that comes in will be, at best, the 5th CB or the 4th safety in 2006.

Harris will have a difficult time making the team. He really struggles on defense; the only thing he brings to the table is special teams ability. If Peprah can play well on specials, then Harris is out ... Peprah can actually play safety (contrary to certain people's reports, he he has good speed for the position).

I think the process of upgrading the secondary took place in free agency. Any rookie DB that comes in will be, at best, the 5th CB or the 4th safety in 2006.

Id like your guess on what our secondary might look like come Sept !!! :TU:

Id like your guess on what our secondary might look like come Sept !!! :TU:

CB -- Madison, Webster, McQuarters, Deloatch, Walker/McPhearson (I'd put my money of Frank)

S -- Wilson, Demps, Butler, Peprah

CB -- Madison, Webster, McQuarters, Deloatch, Walker/McPhearson (I'd put my money of Frank)

S -- Wilson, Demps, Butler, Peprah

Walker ?? Interesting!!!

I love his ability and speed. He just needs to play more with his head

and less of his body if you know what I mean.

the secondary will be a dog fight! :flex:

Walker ?? Interesting!!!

I love his ability and speed. He just needs to play more with his head

and less of his body if you know what I mean.

the secondary will be a dog fight! :flex:

I'd like to see how Frank does with our new DBs coach. This is his last chance in NY, but the talent is there.

I think the Giants drafted Peprah with the intention of starting out at safety. I forget who said it, but either TC or EA said one of the reasons that they liked Peprah was that he was the defensive captain and responsible for calling the plays on their defense. They went on to say that he's intelligent and should be able to make the calls in the NFL as well, implying that S would at least be his position to start out.