SportsWrath

Saints management at it again

Lughead

Sure but this is not information that is getting spit over the radio in 10 second bursts as the plays are called in. This is the kind of things that the coaches and players are discussing on the sidelines.

As far as I know, the allegation is that he hacked radio communications between the sideline and the designated player on O and D. Not that he bugged the bench area or had access to all of the various separate hard wire links between the booth upstairs and the sideline.

Ah, that explains your opinion... you've got it backwards... its the sideline-to-booth communications that were tapped.

Listening in on the coach-QB signal would be bad enough, but you're right that it would rarely be useful in-game. But what they had access to were coach-to-coach conversations, in real time.

Ah, that explains your opinion... you've got it backwards... its the sideline-to-booth communications that were tapped.

Listening in on the coach-QB signal would be bad enough, but you're right that it would rarely be useful in-game. But what they had access to were coach-to-coach conversations, in real time.

entirely different scenario.

Seems Mickey Loomis had a switch to turn on a speaker or head set to listen in to opposing teams Offensive and Deffensive Play calls in the super dome 2002-2004 seasons

Based on the above I assumed we where talking about the wireless sideline to helmet coms. FWIW, I just read 3 or 4 articles that did nothing to clarify this IMO

Seems Mickey Loomis had a switch to turn on a speaker or head set to listen in to opposing teams Offensive and Deffensive Play calls in the super dome 2002-2004 seasons

Based on the above I assumed we where talking about the wireless sideline to helmet coms. FWIW, I just read 3 or 4 articles that did nothing to clarify this IMO

Well, maybe I'm about to eat some crow, I hadn't seen anything like that statement.. but here's what I read, which is quite a bit different: "After the transition from Mueller to Loomis, the electronic device was re-wired to listen only to opposing coaches and could no longer be used to listen to any game-day communications between members of the Saints' coaching staff, one source said."

From the original report:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7846290/new-orleans-saints-mickey-loomis-eavesdrop-opposing-coaches-home-games

A careful reading of that statement makes it clear - they used to listen to communications between the Saints coaches, then switched it over so they could listen to the opposing coaches instead. Its very unlikely that would include the play call going from the sideline down to the field because that is a one-way radio transmission on a channel that is only opened up at certain times by a league official, from after the end of the prior play until 15 seconds are left on the play clock. In other words coaches don't communicate with each other that way, so if they're listening to communications between coaches therefore its not the play call audio they're listening to.

In that context, I find Loomis's standard denial... interesting:

“To think I am sitting in there listening and actually … doing something with the offensive and defensive play calls of the opposing teams makes this story and the unnamed sources that provided the false information that much more less credible,” Loomis’ statement continued. “It just didn’t happen.”

Here he's denying listening to play calls... but not denying the actual allegation of listening to opposing coaches.

Either way, if its true, Loomis is out of the league. It doesn't matter in the least if he had the knowledge or ability to put the information to use.

But then again, we're talking about an anonymous source... so maybe I'll just step back and see how this shakes out.

that was per NFLnetwork breaking news on the day it was announced.

that was per NFLnetwork breaking news on the day it was announced.

Yep. As I alluded to earlier I have seen both things claimed in print. The whole story is both short on details and any actual evidence of wrongdoing.