SportsWrath

In my eyes, Brandon Jacobs seems more like an H back/FB than a RB

Goliath

for all we know he has the blocking skills of jeff feagles, his physical appearance means nothing.

I agree but he is a pretty good blocker as a RB. Can he maul LB over? Well that has yet to be seen

he has never played fullback, and did well last year in goal line situations. all i have to say is, why?

And Matt Jones never played WR, you teach

Yes he did. And why can't he be a FB and be in on goal line situations. Mike Alstott had 6-8 TDs this season (I forgot the exact number), Jacobs had 7. You can manage to do it as a RB or a FB. Right now, we don't have a #2 TE so it might make sense.

Why not have Barber, Finn and Jacobs in the backfield?

And Matt Jones never played WR, you teach

Yes he did. And why can't he be a FB and be in on goal line situations. Mike Alstott had 6-8 TDs this season (I forgot the exact number), Jacobs had 7. You can manage to do it as a RB or a FB. Right now, we don't have a #2 TE so it might make sense.

Why not have Barber, Finn and Jacobs in the backfield?

technically mike alstott is not even a fullback. he's a terrible blocker, and when he scores it's when he lines up in a tailback position. it's a travesty he is allowed to go to the pro-bowl as a fullback. jacobs should remain the goal line back, and IMO we should also test how he does in normal every-down situations. putting him at fullback would just waste his talent.

technically mike alstott is not even a fullback. he's a terrible blocker, and when he scores it's when he lines up in a tailback position. it's a travesty he is allowed to go to the pro-bowl as a fullback. jacobs should remain the goal line back, and IMO we should also test how he does in normal every-down situations. putting him at fullback would just waste his talent.

yea, this guy could turn out to be the next walter payton, or edge, or ricky. u gotta see what he can do at RB before u change his position

Bro, Jacobs is not a FB and wont be a FB. Just because the guy has size doesnt mean he will make a good transition to FB. Jacobs actually struggles blocking and he isnt the greatest route runner. He is a tailback and will remain a tailback.

If anything it would be nice to see Jacobs get a few more carries in regular situations during the game.

Guest Lockhart
I love Finn but the more I see Jacobs, the more I feel that he is suited more to be a FB. Mike Mayock agrees with me

Your opinions?

exactly right, Jacobs will neer be an everydown back to replace Tiki and the Giants know it - look for them to grab a RB in this draft in an attempt to find Tiki's replacement.

exactly right, Jacobs will neer be an everydown back to replace Tiki and the Giants know it - look for them to grab a RB in this draft in an attempt to find Tiki's replacement.

*With the 25th selection of this 2006 Draft...the Giants select Lendell White from the University of California*

What basis do you have to evaluate that Jacobs can block? He hasn't been asked to perform in that role for us. Heck, we don't even know if he can pick up a blitzing linebacker yet. His blocking skills are still very much in question. Now, does he have the frame that would make for a good blocker? Absolutely. However his upright running style is not at all conducive to good blocking. The best fullbacks use leveerage to their advantage. They get low as they approach their target and drive through them. Jacobs doesn't get low on anybody. Based on that tidbit alone I'd likely say he's a horrible blocker but since we haven't seen it on display the jury is still out.

Also, H-Backs tend to be heavily used in the receiving game. Jacobs has little experience in this capacity. With as many good targets this team has the last thing I want to see is us throwing to Jacobs. Remember how horrific it was watching balls bounce off Dayne's shoulderpads into the opposition's hands? Well we've got plenty of targets that can catch so there's no sense testing Jacobs.

Why not use Jacobs as the kicker? He seems as well suited to that role as he is to fullback/h-back.