SportsWrath

Funny Remarks Around the League

BleedinBlue

I read through various blogs to get other people's thoughts on the draft. Here's a couple of good ones.

I'm an Eagles fan and I only need three letters to describe my thoughts on their pick: w-t-f. 26 year old rookie out of baylor? A guy that would have been there in the second round? Last year we traded up to get Brandon Grham (ACL injury) and this year we couldn't trade up to get Prince or Nick Fairley, two guys that were desperately needed. champs99and04

At least you can say that you drafted the guy with the strangest story. (Eagle line-man) A firefighter who began playing football at 22. Unreal walker11

It blows my mind that the NFL draft has become so popular. It is so long, so boring and outside of the skill position guys I've never even heard of most of them. And the people that actually GO to the draft...Imagine being an Eagles fan and waiting 2 and a half hours and they finally pick a 26 year old Canadian offensive guard who played at Baylor. LOL what a letdown.

The Giants picked Prince Amukamara CB. Great pick I think since both the Eagles and Cowboys have good receivers and the Giants need more depth in the secondary. robertelamin

----------------------------------

Please post others if you find them....thanks

Not sure what team this guy is talking about, but here's his take on the draft:

well, lets see = 0/10

- First round= had the chance at a HOF CB, got a 2nd round DE, not that bad though

- Second round= 4th round CB, nothing special and a 7th round value LBer who ran a 5.0 (slower than Paea)

-Third round= stopped giving a ****, some scrub WR from a local college and a second DB that we didn't need (has a felony and like 4 misdemeanors too)

Could've gotten Prince Amukamara, Akeem Ayers, Bowers, Hankerson, and an OT to fill our blatant holes

Cheezerman

-------------------------------

From a Cardinal's fan:

Cardinals

4/10

Good RB we didnt need

TE we couldve gotten in the 5th

All while we desperately need a OLB. yes mad 21Classic

So Dumb - a friggin Running Back is so far down on the list of this team’s priorities. Give me a DB, and O-Lineman, a D-Lineman, really anybody besides a RB. They are so interchangeable and so plug and play. What a waste of a good draft pick.

Cowboyfaninexile

Then trade down. Or pick up something at a position of greater need. You can pick any guy off the scrap heap and get a decent RB, and we already have Felix and Choice. WTF

Cowboyfaninexile

More from a Cowboys blog:

The reason we drafted him is because we'll need him When Choice and Felix get injured trying to run up the middle because our interior O-line can’t block anyone.

Good pick, Murray will get lots of playing time… until Ndomuking Suh and Nick Fairley combine to crush his ribs.

Blue Eyed Devil

You may be closer than you think... Choice is not in Garrett’s good graces…He also failed to produce last season when given the opportunity after crying and moaning about playing time…much of which was in public through interviews and on Twitter. "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake". - Napoleon

7footer

man !! grrr y a freaking running back? does this mean Choice is in the trading block?

And there goes Moffitt I’m planting cocaine in Jerry’s car and calling the cops on him.

TXHC [/i

]

everyone is overjoyed when they think about JG having a new vision for the team. then he drafts his RB of choice and they throw a pity party…

Cowboy blog cont. (can only put in so may quotes on one post)

So Dumb! Running Back is so far down on the list of this team’s priorities. Give me a DB, and O-Lineman, a D-Lineman, really anybody besides a RB. They are so interchangeable and so plug and play. What a waste of a good draft pick.

CowboyfaninExile

especially the type of RB we have a finesse speed RB already.

DonMoosavi

this is what pisses me off We have 2 good RBs

CaliCowboysFan92

On a team with below averge talent on the OL and in the DB drafting where we have average to above is questionable at best. Please some BPA proponent, explain this to me

We live life forwards and understand it backwards

tdships

My head is hurting! This team is suffering from Rectal Cranial inversion during this draft! An injured linebacker and a luxury pick of a running back. What the hell is happening here?

by 4everblue&silver

The eternal optimist

I have noticed a new resurgence in Cowboy hating since 2007, which can only mean one thing- We're back.

nspirals

I gotta say... What the hell are we doing? Carter I’ll reserve judgment, but Murray?

DCProf

From Redskins forum:

bum QBs are like cardboard box cameras........disposable

We ALWAYS draft lukewarm QBs....I dont want to draft another Ramsey or Jason Williams.....

dirtbag59

Okay this getting the players to announce picks is starting to suck

dirtbag59

Got to feel for Bowers. Dude went from having 40+ guaranteed million to a gift certificate from Best Buy.

His agent is probably hanging himself right about now with that lost commission

NCSkins

Jarvis Jenkins??? Shitty pick when you have Paea available

SFredskin

wow, nice efffffing reach

Chico23231

Shocked. Didn't think he was the best NT availiable. Not strong; Did only 17 Reps at the combine which is pretty bad for a D-lineman

Vallin21

Thanks for the link, that just confirms my overall disappointment

"could only bench press 225 17 times, he looks like the Pillsbury dough boy"

well, lets see = 0/10

- First round= had the chance at a HOF CB, got a 2nd round DE, not that bad though

- Second round= 4th round CB, nothing special and a 7th round value LBer who ran a 5.0 (slower than Paea)

-Third round= stopped giving a ****, some scrub WR from a local college and a second DB that we didn't need (has a felony and like 4 misdemeanors too)

Could've gotten Prince Amukamara, Akeem Ayers, Bowers, Hankerson, and an OT to fill our blatant holes

Cheezerman

That was from a Chargers fan, Bleedin'. Kind of right on the Mouton pick in the 2nd... I thought that was a huge reach.

That was from a Chargers fan, Bleedin'. Kind of right on the Mouton pick in the 2nd... I thought that was a huge reach.

Mouton is not a 3-4 edge rusher and that's what they needed, I did have Liuget in the second round has well and he is not a 3-4 fit either. Then Gilchrist and Brown, over better prospects at those positions?

I actually like Liuget, I think as a football player and an athlete, he can just play. Like I said yesterday, I think he plays 3-4 LDE for them. But the other picks were reaches and I really question their scouting department and AJ what's his name has always been a toolbox.

I actually like Liuget, I think as a football player and an athlete, he can just play. Like I said yesterday, I think he plays 3-4 LDE for them. But the other picks were reaches and I really question their scouting department and AJ what's his name has always been a toolbox.

I do like Liuget has well, he would of been a good fit for us, if we could of gotten him in round 2. Austin might be a better prospect though. San Diego, yeah they put nothing into their scouting department, they were so good by beating up on a weak AFC West, now thats a pretty decent division.

:laugh:

The one good thing about the Giants is they are reasonably good at drafting. Now if they could just get Davis way from Darth Belichick they could start getting tons of extra draft picks every year also. I am not a draft guru but it does seem like the Giants don't draft down often.

:laugh:

The one good thing about the Giants is they are reasonably good at drafting. Now if they could just get Davis way from Darth Belichick they could start getting tons of extra draft picks every year also. I am not a draft guru but it does seem like the Giants don't draft down often.

yeah, we usually stay right at the pick we are already at, instead of moving and shaking for a certain guy. That worked out pretty well for us this year, guys we could of taken in the third still came to us in the 6th. Last time we moved up, we went and got S. Moss, thats the last time I remember. Two years in a row, they got the guy #1 on their board with having to do anything

yeah, we usually stay right at the pick we are already at, instead of moving and shaking for a certain guy. That worked out pretty well for us this year, guys we could of taken in the third still came to us in the 6th. Last time we moved up, we went and got S. Moss, thats the last time I remember. Two years in a row, they got the guy #1 on their board with having to do anything

If it means anything...the Giants traded up for Bryan Kehl in 2008.

If it means anything...the Giants traded up for Bryan Kehl in 2008.

Certainly makes me feel better that we don't often look to trade up and when we do we either hit a home run (Big E) or completely strike out (Kehl)....and let's just say the Kehl pick didn't end up really hurting us at least...

Certainly makes me feel better that we don't often look to trade up and when we do we either hit a home run (Big E) or completely strike out (Kehl)....and let's just say the Kehl pick didn't end up really hurting us at least...

we also got steals in 2008 with Manningham and Thomas, and Phillips at the end of round one. Also, Goff was picked after Kehl.

we also got steals in 2008 with Manningham and Thomas, and Phillips at the end of round one. Also, Goff was picked after Kehl.

Absolutely. I remember dancing in the living room when they picked Manningham who was possibly the best WR in the draft, but people worried about his character. Even so, the gurus figured he would still go in the first round. Instead, the Giants snatched him with the last pick of the 3rd round. Unfreakin real. Getting Prince this year where we did was every bit as amazing. And apparantly, the Bears were going after Austin, but the Giants snatched him just before the Bears selection pissing them off. Everything I've read on him says he would have been a top ten pick if not for his troubles. However, the Giants seem to deal pretty good with kids who have fucked up (Manningham, Bradshaw).

And yeah.....when we got Phillips, I was amazed.

This year's draft could be one of the best drafts in Giants history if all the hype is correct.

Absolutely. I remember dancing in the living room when they picked Manningham who was possibly the best WR in the draft, but people worried about his character. Even so, the gurus figured he would still go in the first round. Instead, the Giants snatched him with the last pick of the 3rd round. Unfreakin real. Getting Prince this year where we did was every bit as amazing. And apparantly, the Bears were going after Austin, but the Giants snatched him just before the Bears selection pissing them off. Everything I've read on him says he would have been a top ten pick if not for his troubles. However, the Giants seem to deal pretty good with kids who have fucked up (Manningham, Bradshaw).

And yeah.....when we got Phillips, I was amazed.

This year's draft could be one of the best drafts in Giants history if all the hype is correct.

What is the total story with Austin? From what I read he was in trouble for receiving improper benefits from agents and for possibly cheating in a class or something of the sort. I mean, ya, all that stuff is pretty bad to be accused of (I went to school with a kid who got kicked out of school in his senior year for copying someone's Excel project and not replacing the name on it) but this dude wasn't kicked out of school so I'm guessing he wasn't ever "found guilty" of cheating, yet he was kicked off the team and unable to play in 2010. Now, is this the whole story or was he a bad teammate, a locker room cancer, etc? Cheating on an exam doesn't merit, to me, anyway, letting a first round talent fall so far into the second...what do I know, though....

And I know that like 6 other Tar Heels were in trouble for the same thing but it seems to me more negativity surrounds Austin than his one teammate and fellow miscreant that was selected in the mid first round....

What is the total story with Austin? From what I read he was in trouble for receiving improper benefits from agents and for possibly cheating in a class or something of the sort. I mean, ya, all that stuff is pretty bad to be accused of (I went to school with a kid who got kicked out of school in his senior year for copying someone's Excel project and not replacing the name on it) but this dude wasn't kicked out of school so I'm guessing he wasn't ever "found guilty" of cheating, yet he was kicked off the team and unable to play in 2010. Now, is this the whole story or was he a bad teammate, a locker room cancer, etc? Cheating on an exam doesn't merit, to me, anyway, letting a first round talent fall so far into the second...what do I know, though....

And I know that like 6 other Tar Heels were in trouble for the same thing but it seems to me more negativity surrounds Austin than his one teammate and fellow miscreant that was selected in the mid first round....

This might lend some insight into Austin. This from the NY Daily News (link)

If the Giants got a steal with their first-round draft pick in Prince Amukamara, Friday night's second-round pick could end up being the grandest heist of all. Otherwise, the Giants could be left holding the bag.

Marvin Austin comes to them as a risk. He was suspended for his entire senior season at North Carolina, was suspended for two games in 2008 and benched for two games in '09. All that will not matter if the 6-2, 309-pound defensive tackle can create havoc like the guy he was once compared to - last year's Rookie of the Year, Ndamukong Suh.

"Sure, everybody's a risk until they come in and show exactly what they can do," Tom Coughlin said. "But we're in a high-risk business."

If things work out, it's quite possible that, picking 19th and 52nd, the Giants came away with two top 15 players for a defense that had its ups and downs last year.

The war room was shocked Thursday when Amukamara, a cornerback, slid because of the early run on quarterbacks. But the Giants were hoping Austin would be there in the second round all along and had put in a lot of work on him, analyzing his potential on the field and guarding against his problems off it.

First, the football stuff: In 25 starts for the Tar Heels, he had 106 tackles and nine sacks with 131/2 stops for losses. Last year, he played in the East-West Shrine Game, where Reese said he was "dominant" in drills.

"This guy can get off the ball with tremendous speed," Reese said. "He's got a nasty demeanor about him. Somebody described him as (former Giant) Keith Hamilton, not the body type but that nasty demeanor. You always like to have big nasty guys on your front."

Said Coughlin: "He's just under 6-2, 309 and very quick. His best press now, you know what that was . . . 38 reps on the bench at Indianapolis. That's strong."

So is the rap sheet. The two-game penalty in '08 was for being late to class, he said. The '09 benching was for "inconsistent play." Then came last year, after all the good things he did in his junior season. Even before the NCAA suspended him and other teammates for improper contact with an agent, North Carolina coach Butch Davis had suspended him for unspecified violations of team rules that were separate from the NCAA investigation.

Austin said Friday he has matured, has learned and was humbled.

"I don't think I'm a big risk," he said. "The things that happened are in the past and now I'm ready to be a professional. Sometimes I feel that some people feel I'm a bad person, which is not the case at all. I'm a good guy who made a bad decision and I'm ready to move on, man, and become a Giant."

Reese was one of several people in the organization to have a heart-to-heart with him.

"He was very remorseful," said Reese, who insisted there were no other issues with Austin outside of the agent misstep. "He made a bad decision and he was really disappointed he let his teammates down and his school down. This guy's going to come here with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove and hopefully he will take it out on his opponent. Obviously when he gets here we'll keep a close eye on him."

Added Coughlin: "He wants the opportunity to prove a lot of people wrong. We do all kinds of tests on people and those tests were very good."

Austin said he had a "healthy" phone conversation with Coughlin when the coach told him he was the Giants' pick.

"He told me what's going to be expected of me," he said. "I told him I'm ready to be a professional. It's extremely motivating."

Director of college scouting Marc Ross noted that the team had success drafting Ahmad Bradshaw and Mario Manningham, who both had checkered pasts.

"We dig deep," Ross said. "We don't want to go too far and just bring in a guy who's a bad person. The guys we've taken, we don't think are bad people."

It is said that Austin has a nasty disposition. When I look at his picture I can tell you I wouldn't want to meet him in an alley. Maybe some of the disposition will rub off on the other players. Smash mouth football is back.

princev.jpg

A lot of players fall in the draft for ridiculous reasons. I get waiting for the second round just in case but some will fall to the third or fourth rounds for small violations. The Giants this year though definitely benefited from all those QBs being drafted.