SportsWrath

Ridiculous Tandems Taking Shape

Allstarjim

If you are a Lions' fan, a Cardinals' fan, or a Falcons' fan, you have to be ecstatic with this first round of the draft. And dare I say it, a Giants fan as well.

Here's something scary... you're lining up under center, Jay Cutler, and you're staring at a angry and intense Ndamukong Suh, oh, and right next to him, is absolute stud rookie Nick Fairley. As Michael Irvin said rather enthusiastically on NFL network last night, "WHO'S GONNA RUN ON THAT?!" You have to think that the Lions are going to be a playoff team sooner rather than later now.

And how about the Cards? Now they have Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on your 2nd receiver, presumably, and Patrick Peterson on the other side... that is a pretty nice tandem of corners.

But the Falcons, are you kidding me? The rich get richer. It's not exactly as if Michael Jenkins was chopped liver. But now you have to pick your poison... Roddy White OR Julio Jones. Oh, and Tony Gonzalez at TE, and with Turner in the backfield, all of a sudden, you have an offense that is starting to look like the 1980's 49ers, or maybe a closer comparison, the 1999 St. Louis Rams, Greatest Show on Turf. That is some duo, though, White and Jones. How giddy is Matt Ryan right now?

But our beloved Giants now have a special tandem of their own... and it really could have the makings of a special trio of corners with Webster, Thomas, and The Prince of East Rutherford. Prince of NY sound better?

I've got to give honorable mention to the Chiefs and the Rams...

Chiefs now have Jonathan Baldwin, who a lot of people think is going to be a big star, across from Dwayne Bowe. And the Rams now have Robert Quinn at DE with Chris Long on the other side. Quinn is really going to help Long, who had 8.5 sacks last year. Good for Spags, it may not be this year, but pretty soon the Rams are going to absolutely OWN the NFC West for awhile.

If you are a Lions' fan, a Cardinals' fan, or a Falcons' fan, you have to be ecstatic with this first round of the draft. And dare I say it, a Giants fan as well.

Here's something scary... you're lining up under center, Jay Cutler, and you're staring at a angry and intense Ndamukong Suh, oh, and right next to him, is absolute stud rookie Nick Fairley. As Michael Irvin said rather enthusiastically on NFL network last night, "WHO'S GONNA RUN ON THAT?!" You have to think that the Lions are going to be a playoff team sooner rather than later now.

And how about the Cards? Now they have Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on your 2nd receiver, presumably, and Patrick Peterson on the other side... that is a pretty nice tandem of corners.

But the Falcons, are you kidding me? The rich get richer. It's not exactly as if Michael Jenkins was chopped liver. But now you have to pick your poison... Roddy White OR Julio Jones. Oh, and Tony Gonzalez at TE, and with Turner in the backfield, all of a sudden, you have an offense that is starting to look like the 1980's 49ers, or maybe a closer comparison, the 1999 St. Louis Rams, Greatest Show on Turf. That is some duo, though, White and Jones. How giddy is Matt Ryan right now?

But our beloved Giants now have a special tandem of their own... and it really could have the makings of a special trio of corners with Webster, Thomas, and The Prince of East Rutherford. Prince of NY sound better?

The Lions got your guy, Mikel Leshoure to pair with Jahvid Best and Titus Young to come out of the slot, I think they could potentially get a WC spot. The Bears won't be has good has they were last year,just based on better schedule. The Vikings are now awful just two year removed from the NFC championship game but you knew it was a small window for Minnesota that year. GB of course win that division, but the Lions could get a WC

I like your analysis and research, Jim.

However, the Lions are still "The Lions" and the Cards are still "The Cards" until either actually wins something.

thanks for the compliment, Seph. I agree with you, particularly about the Cards. They cannot and will not make the playoffs with Max Hall as the starting QB. I was simply saying that they have two very talented corners now in DRC and Peterson.

But the Lions won 6 games last year, after winning just 2 the two previous seasons COMBINED! They are on the right track. If you look at what they are doing on both sides of the ball, and the fact that they have that franchise QB, I agree with BigBlue, they are going to pass the Bears and compete for a WC spot. Their problem, especially last year, was keeping Stafford healthy and problems on defense. If they can get a full year out of Stafford, with the rest of the talent on that team, and invest in a solid offensive lineman in free agency... they are going to improve on that 6 win total.

thanks for the compliment, Seph. I agree with you, particularly about the Cards. They cannot and will not make the playoffs with Max Hall as the starting QB. I was simply saying that they have two very talented corners now in DRC and Peterson.

But the Lions won 6 games last year, after winning just 2 the two previous seasons COMBINED! They are on the right track. If you look at what they are doing on both sides of the ball, and the fact that they have that franchise QB, I agree with BigBlue, they are going to pass the Bears and compete for a WC spot. Their problem, especially last year, was keeping Stafford healthy and problems on defense. If they can get a full year out of Stafford, with the rest of the talent on that team, and invest in a solid offensive lineman in free agency... they are going to improve on that 6 win total.

the refs screwed them, TWICE against Chicago last year. Also, in some other games they seemed to get questionable calls. Did the refs bet against Detroit? Just sayin :ph34r:

You're right, they definitely got screwed. Was it Calvin Johnson that had that game winning TD taken away against Chicago early in the season? That call was criminal.

Fantasy Football tip.... draft Leshoure when you start to look for sleeper running backs. He's not going to disappoint, year 1.

I thought the same thing about Detroit last year. Even when we played them, I thought they were dangerous... one or two calls each game went against them, but otherwise they could have easily been 8-8 or 9-7.

But I also sort of think, "well... that's why they're Detroit."

Don't Detroit still have Cee Cee Brown? They're DTs are scary but I can't think of any other playmakers on D.

They have Kyle VandenBosch,Louis Delmas , Chris Houston, They need LB's and another corner. I think they spend some money in free agency, if or when it happens. I expect to go hard after a really good corner and a LB like Stephen Tulloch