SportsWrath

Giants Hand Out Some Potentially Meaningless Tenders

Mr. P

how does the tender work?? sorry i know i should look for info. but i'm sure you guys can give me the short and clearer version of it..

It is kind of like the franchise tags in that there is a set compensation for them but they are meant for restricted free agents. It is a one year offer at a set compensation. The draft choice part of it is there because a tender doesn't lock in a player they can still shop around before signing the offer, but if another team does decide to offer someones tendered player a contract the original team gets a chance to beat that offer. If they choose not to then the team taking the player from their original team has to give up whatever draft choice that player was tendered at.

It is kind of like the franchise tags in that there is a set compensation for them but they are meant for restricted free agents. It is a one year offer at a set compensation. The draft choice part of it is there because a tender doesn't lock in a player they can still shop around before signing the offer, but if another team does decide to offer someones tendered player a contract the original team gets a chance to beat that offer. If they choose not to then the team taking the player from their original team has to give up whatever draft choice that player was tendered at.

Thanks for the quick info.

Sounds like a dirty ass move on the teams part. But I can understand why a team would pull that type of move.

Thanks for the quick info.

Sounds like a dirty ass move on the teams part. But I can understand why a team would pull that type of move.

It was put in so teams could keep their drafted talent as long as possible without having to fork over big money, but at the same time allow the player the chance for getting big money and the team getting something back. Anyways it is part of the CBA that expires tomorrow so unless the new CBA carries on the RFA system its all meaningless.