SportsWrath

Those Assigned to the Practice Squad

jranieli

Now it makes 8 - RB Shawbrey McNeal from SMU

Hmmmm.....apparantly he was cut from San Diego. I thought if you signed someone, you had to sign him to your 53 man roster. Unless perhaps, San Diego had filled their practice squad.

I had to look him up because I've never heard of him.

Shawnbrey McNeal

Ht:5'9"

VerifiedWt:181 lbs

Verified 40:4.45 secs

Bench Max:270

Squat Max:550

Class:2007 (High School)

Apparantly left SMU 2 years early to care for his ailing mother so he's young.

Ralph is continuing to say that we did not sign Shawnbrey and that the Giants aren't interested in him.

Interesting to me that if they are looking for a running back to add to the practice squad, then why haven't they signed Gartrell Johnson. He seemed to have some pretty good skill and he's probably more durable than Ware. With Andre gone, it's a good idea (it would seem) to have a fall back RB in case of injuries.

Just wondering.

The 8th practice squad player is RB Charles Scott from LSU.

Hmmmm......really nice pick up. I like kids who come out of the SEC and had success against the top competition at the college level.

He was the Eagle's 6th round draft pick this year. Philly traded him to Arizona for a badly needed CB, but apparantly Arizona had no room for him.

His size is between Bradshaw and Jacobs (5'11" (some bios have him a 6'0", the LSU page has him listed at 6'1") and close to 240 lbs). Can play FB as well according to Ralph Vacchiano

Here's a pre-draft quote on him:

"Scott is a big, powerful back that is more of a raw power back that can move piles than an explosive punishing type of ball carrier. He is a no-nonsense ball carrier that does not dance around in the backfield and is not apt to have many negative plays in the course of a game. He missed the last three games of his senior year with a broken collarbone but it should not affect his draft status. Scott can be a punishing blocker but needs a lot of technique work for the next level. He is an adequate receiver out of the backfield."

He was the top performer at the combines for the "3 Cone Drill".

More notes from LSU:

"One of the most productive running backs in school history with 2,317 career rushing yards and 32 touchdowns. Rushed for 100 yards or more in eight games. Elected in 2008 First Team Coaches All-SEC and Second Team Associated Press All-SEC ... Also earned SEC Offensive Player of the Week honors vs. Auburn, Sept. 22, 2008........"

8483638fb7afeaaflarge.jpg

Charles Scott in preseason game - big kid!

Won't it be a sweet day if the kid pans out and destroys Philly on some sunny Sunday afternoon! :laugh:

Surely there's a better CB out there than Seth Williams? That gets burnt more than my mother-in-law's cooking.

Apparantly a hot commodity this year as very few were cut. I'll tell you what scares me about this upcoming game, both Webster and Ross were sidelined today at practice. Garafolo expects the two Johnsons to carry the workload this weekend. Now that sucks!

link

Apparantly a hot commodity this year as very few were cut. I'll tell you what scares me about this upcoming game, both Webster and Ross were sidelined today at practice. Garafolo expects the two Johnsons to carry the workload this weekend. Now that sucks!

link

We're fucked.

We're fucked.

THe only good thing is that Carolina relies on a heavy running game. They only have one bonefide reciever in Steve Smith (the original one), and he's recovering from a broken arm.....even though he's still going to play Sunday.

The knock on our LB's has been that they are more suited for stopping the run.....which in the case of Carolina, may be a good thing.

Also.....if the Giants can put pressure on the QB non-stop.....that is a lot more effective in stopping the air game than fleet of foot CB's. The difference will be made by the front line IMO.

Hmmmm......really nice pick up. I like kids who come out of the SEC and had success against the top competition at the college level.

He was the Eagle's 6th round draft pick this year. Philly traded him to Arizona for a badly needed CB, but apparantly Arizona had no room for him.

The NFL players association has filed a grievance about this trade.

The Eagles and the Cards swapped 200 and 199 or 200 and 201 overall from this year's draft. If you cut one of your draft picks before the season you are required to pay a fee to a rookie bonus pool. If you cut somebody else's draft pick you don't have to pay in.

This is probably what was behind the bizarre Washington / Denver trade where wash cut the kid before he participated in even 1 practice.

Also.....if the Giants can put pressure on the QB non-stop.....that is a lot more effective in stopping the air game than fleet of foot CB's. The difference will be made by the front line IMO.

I disagree. If anything you need the fleet of foot CBs to keep the receivers covered an extra second or three just to get to the QB. I don't think the Jets have any great pass rushers, but having Revis locking down the #1 receiver lets them have a few extra seconds to pressure the QB into making mistakes.