SportsWrath

Kevin Boss Will Have Arthroscopic Ankle Procedure, Miss 4 To 6 Weeks

Mr. P

kevin-bossjpg-831c2b7d8861093b_large.jpg

Kevin Boss had surgery on his pinky earlier this offseason. The Giants tight end will have another procedure Monday on a more vital body part.

The team announced today that Boss will have an arthroscopic procedure on his right ankle at the Hospital for Special Surgery to "debride" it -- in layman's terms, to remove dead or infected tissue. The recovery time for the procedure is 4 to 6 weeks, which means he's scheduled to miss the team's OTAs and June mini-camp.

Boss badly sprained his ankle against the Chiefs in Week 4 last season and missed the following week's Oakland game, then re-aggravated it later in the season.

The team also announced that backup offensive lineman Kevin Boothe tore a pectoral muscle while working out earlier this week and will have surgery Tuesday. He'll be out four months.

The Giants' third day of OTAs is open to the media today. Both RB Andre Brown (ruptured Achilles) and DT Jay Alford (knee), who missed all of last season with their injuries, are healthy enough to participate, the team said. RB Brandon Jacobs (knee), DE Justin Tuck (shoulder), FB Madison Hedgecock (shoulder), C Shaun O’Hara (elbow), G Rich Seubert (shoulder), WR Mario Manningham (shoulder) and LB Gerris Wilkinson (wrist) will all participate after offseason surgeries.

S Kenny Phillips (knee), running back Ahmad Bradshaw (ankle/feet), WR Hakeem Nicks (wrist/toe) and DT Rocky Bernard (shoulder) will continue to rehab. Bradshaw and Nicks are both expected to return to the practice field within the next two weeks, the team said.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/05/kevin_boss_will_have_arthrosco.html

That sucks. But it does sound as if he'll be back before season starts. In the meantime, maybe we could use the new guy (Mitch Petrus - strong man extrodinaire - great blocking, but stone hands) as a blocking TE and rotate him with last years draftee Travis Beckum who is said to be a GREAT pass catching TE, but not much of a blocking TE.

The Giants said after drafting Petrus that they might use him as a blocking TE or even an occasional Fullback (for blocking purposes) this year because he can move the pile and is like a boulder. And the only downside of Beckum was that he was poor at blocking, but an exceptional reciever.

So anyway....maybe all is not lost. Fingers are crossed. Boss is due for a breakout year...one of the most underrated players on the team.

That sucks. But it does sound as if he'll be back before season starts. In the meantime, maybe we could use the new guy (Mitch Petrus - strong man extrodinaire - great blocking, but stone hands) as a blocking TE and rotate him with last years draftee Travis Beckum who is said to be a GREAT pass catching TE, but not much of a blocking TE.

The Giants said after drafting Petrus that they might use him as a blocking TE or even an occasional Fullback (for blocking purposes) this year because he can move the pile and is like a boulder. And the only downside of Beckum was that he was poor at blocking, but an exceptional reciever.

So anyway....maybe all is not lost. Fingers are crossed. Boss is due for a breakout year...one of the most underrated players on the team.

for today at least in OTA's bear pascoe worked in place of boss.

and with boothe being down we are going to be needing petrus alot more as a backup on the oline.

and i remember you saying they would use him as a blocking te or an occasional fullback but i dont remember the giants saying it, could you point me towards that article or something?

for today at least in OTA's bear pascoe worked in place of boss.

and with boothe being down we are going to be needing petrus alot more as a backup on the oline.

and i remember you saying they would use him as a blocking te or an occasional fullback but i dont remember the giants saying it, could you point me towards that article or something?

Oh man pdub....I've read a thousand articles since the draft and wouldn't know where to start. It was soon after the draft and one of those interviews with one of the coaches when talking about their picks.

How did Rocky Bernard injure his shoulder? Did he lean too hard against the refrigerator while digging for snacks?

Nah man...he opened the door and it fell back and hit his funny bone....with all that mayonaise and ketchup...that door wasn't playing. :laugh: