SportsWrath

Playoffs proving how good Eli is

JMFP

the dog guesses we need to re-evaluate favre as a leader and in his overall place among elite QBs, well, since his team fell apart yesterday with all the fumbles/penalties...etc...why he didn't step up as a leader is beyond the dog...

by the way, the games yeserday cemented in the dog's mind eli's place among this year's QB elite - did you see how enthusiastic he was in he booth when his brother threw his third TD pass? greatness.

Considering what you've posted about Eli in this thread about him not being a leader because the defense sucks, and the fact Favre was responsible for a critical fumble in the red zone and a backbreaking INT at the end of regulation, yeah, I guess you do.

This post is so ridiculous I can't resist any longer.

Eli is not an elite QB at this stage. A good QB but not elite.

Eli is simply too innaccurate as a passer. You cannot blame all of his poor throws on the WRs or Oline.

Eli is inconsistent. He dissappears too often to be considered elite.

Look at their first 4 losses -- Saints, Cards, Eagles, and Chargers. He had over 30 attempts in each of these games and never cracked 250 yards. He also had 6 ints. The Saints game he passed for a measly 178. Numbers aren't everything but these cannot be overlooked and you cannot blame the supporting cast for everything.

Case in point, the Cardnals game he threw for 243 yards,1 TD, and 3 Ints. In that game, Nicks caught a flucky 50 or 60 yard TD off a deflection. So, while his WR drop balls, they also helped him at times too. Take away that fluke and he has 0 TDs , 3 INTs, and less than 200 yards in a big Sunday Night home game. Elite? I think not.

The 2nd Dallas game and maybe the biggest win of the season was propelled by defense. Eli threw for 241 yards. What is remarkable about this is that 74 came on an unusal dump pass to Brandon Jacobs, not a 60 yard bomb to a WR in which he split defenders. So his numbers are even somewhat inflated here.

Yes he is good. Sorry, he is not elite by any stretch of the imagination.

Interestingly, all of those games were against playoff teams. Do elite QB's disappear when faced with better competition?

And we have not even touched on last year's playoff game when he and McNabb threw against the very same wind. Let's break down that tape...look at those throws...tell me he is Elite. Didn't he throw one right at Assante Samuel near the Giant's endzone???? An elite QB, indeed. That is a game they should have won.

LOL....dumfuck actually comes and opens his mouth??

So let me guess, Homo is elite because he throws for 300+ every game, all the while amounting to NOTHING. Eli has a ring. He is FAAR closer to elite than that fuckin waste of space toni homo.

LOL....dumfuck actually comes and opens his mouth??

So let me guess, Homo is elite because he throws for 300+ every game, all the while amounting to NOTHING. Eli has a ring. He is FAAR closer to elite than that fuckin waste of space toni homo.

Public Service Announcement: This thread is intended for mature sportswrath members capabale of engaging in thoughtful debate. It is rated IQ 85, meaning all those with a depressed IQ are not permitted in without being accompanied by a semi-intelligent child or adult.

The dog would simply ask that you abide by the above court jester, and kindly explore with the moderators the opening of a "kiddie" section of the boards for you to dabble in...Thank you much.

I just got done watching Superbowl 42 Highlights...the game where the Giants defense carried Eli Manning to two 4th quarter touchdown drives.

hmm...the dog wonders if that was the same game that eli manning recorded 39 tackles in route to holding possibly the best offense in NFL history to 274 total yards and 2 whole TDs?

hmm...the dog wonders if that was the same game that eli manning recorded 39 tackles in route to holding possibly the best offense in NFL history to 274 total yards and 2 whole TDs?

it might be the game where if it wasnt for eli manning that giants defense would be the defense that ALMOST stopped the undefeated patriots.

it might be the game where if it wasnt for eli manning that giants defense would be the defense that ALMOST stopped the undefeated patriots.

it might also be the game where if it wasn't for david tyree, eli manning is the qb that almost had a ring...if it wasn't for a dropped pick, eli manning is considered to be the same inconsistent qb he was prior to that season...etc...etc...what you are saying is simply what the dog has, being the qb of the winning super bowl team doesn't automatically make you elite or great. in this case, manning did what he had to for the team to win, but it was the defense that set the tone and took that team through that run...

manning so far is a solid qb...not elite...not great...solid. better than a lot of teams have...but not great.

Here is who I would take over ELI.

Peyton...obvious

Brees...this guy is very good and I still wonder what he does outside domes or warm weather but hes great

Brady...will be back to his 100% self in 2010

Roethlisberger...2 rings I do not care how he got them 2 rings at the most important position on the team

Now the debates...all good qbs though(disclaimer)

Rivers...still take ELI, is a hot head, has never won a big game and would never translate with that attitude in NY

Schaub...getting better, terrific stats, has won zilch

McNabb....very similar to Rivers, seems to crack under instense pressure and seems like a real diva

Cutler...come on now

Rodgers...just not there yet in terms of winning resume, not to mention holds the ball longer than 2004 Kurt Warner Giant, improved on that though a lot

Romo.....see why you take Big Ben over ELI, plus I think hes a dick, his antics before 2007 playoffs not forgotten and 1 playoff win does not cut it

I take ELI over all those guys. Here is why in a nutshell, and I will credit Mike Lupica for citing this in his column today in regards to JOhnny Damon with a quote by Knicks GM Donnie Walsh and I am paraphrasing here. Sometimes a guys value to your team, is not what his value would be to others, what his makeup is for your city, what he does under the scrutiny and how he handles the whole package. Very telling statement IMO and why I take ELI over those other guys. Again not to say any of those other guys are not great qbs for their teams and cities. Its just that at this time, in this town based on what I know and what I have seen I would take ELI. Again cant go wrong with the others either way.

Peyton...obvious

Brees...this guy is very good and I still wonder what he does outside domes or warm weather but hes great

Roethlisberger...2 rings I do not care how he got them 2 rings at the most important position on the team

Rivers...still take ELI, is a hot head, has never won a big game and would never translate with that attitude in NY

McNabb....very similar to Rivers, seems to crack under instense pressure and seems like a real diva

Cutler...come on now

Rodgers...just not there yet in terms of winning resume, not to mention holds the ball longer than 2004 Kurt Warner Giant, improved on that though a lot

Romo.....see why you take Big Ben over ELI, plus I think hes a dick, his antics before 2007 playoffs not forgotten and 1 playoff win does not cut it

I take ELI over all those guys. Here is why in a nutshell, and I will credit Mike Lupica for citing this in his column today in regards to JOhnny Damon with a quote by Knicks GM Donnie Walsh and I am paraphrasing here. Sometimes a guys value to your team, is not what his value would be to others, what his makeup is for your city, what he does under the scrutiny and how he handles the whole package. Very telling statement IMO and why I take ELI over those other guys. Again not to say any of those other guys are not great qbs for their teams and cities. Its just that at this time, in this town based on what I know and what I have seen I would take ELI. Again cant go wrong with the others either way.

Along these lines, the only QBs I will most certainly take over Eli are Peyton, Brady and Brees. Not Ben - he did everything in his power to lose the first SB and if anything - THAT was a SB that was entirely won by the Steeler defense. Ben did nothing.

The defense might have set the tone for the Giants run, but if Eli did not engineer those drives and just let his defense do everything, then he wouldnt have a ring now would he? Fact is he does.

I see this truck load of bullcrap saying, if Tyree had not caught that catch, or Eli got 70 yrds on a short toss to BJ otherwise he would have been under 200 yards, Steve Smith caught a fluke 50 yrd TD otherwise Eli would have had 0 TDs. That has to be the greatest piece of human excreta Ive ever seen. If he had dropped, if he hadnt caught etc - well - fact of the matter is they did catch it, they did gain those yards and thats where it stands. If you find it convenience to mention the fact that Tyree made a near impossible grab, why doesnt anyone mention the fact that Eli somehow managed to get free from a near impossible position from inbetween 5 defenders, got free and made that impossible throw which resulted in an impossible catch. When you want to beat a Patriots team that was considered one of the best ever in History, impossible things need to be done and that is what Eli did.

Unfortunately Romo, McNabb etc can pad their stats but the fact remains, they didnt manage to do near impossible things and hence are still sitting and twiddling their empty thumbs and fingers.

Peyton...obvious

Cutler...come on now

Hmmmm...This is one of the better posts here. I think if you must start throwing the "elite" label around, those first four guys are todays "elite" guys. Everyone else falls short for one reason or another. Who is the best of the rest is debatable and I could see why someone would argue Eli.

But Eli, like the others, is not in the same class as those first four. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't.

The only thing I disagree with is I would throw Favre and Warner in that last group -- unless you left them out because of retirement...

Interestingly, all of those games were against playoff teams. Do elite QB's disappear when faced with better competition?

Great point....Tom Brady is quite the slouch.

Thanks for your contribution Egg....it was worth the wait.

Hmmmm...This is one of the better posts here. I think if you must start throwing the "elite" label around, those first four guys are todays "elite" guys. Everyone else falls short for one reason or another. Who is the best of the rest is debatable and I could see why someone would argue Eli.

But Eli, like the others, is not in the same class as those first four. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't.

The only thing I disagree with is I would throw Favre and Warner in that last group -- unless you left them out because of retirement...

I kind of agree with this--although I would narrow it down to the first three as unquestionably "elite." I would definitely put Ben R. in the top 5, though.

This past decade has really been pretty amazing for drafting QBs, when you think about it. One definite Hall of Famer (Brady), one probable (Roethlisberger), and a few with very high potential (Brees, E. Manning, etc.) depending on how their careers continue. You have the best drafting period since 79-88 (Montana, Elway, Marino, Kelly, etc.).

Peyton was drafted in '98, so I didn't count him in the above paragraph. Obviously, he's a HoF'er.

Yes I did not consider Warner or Favre based on the unknown(well now we know about Warner), but I agree they are in that 2nd group and both at one time or another had been in the class of the first group.