SportsWrath

Playoffs proving how good Eli is

JMFP

Eli remains the only NFC East QB with a Super Bowl MVP title.

Also, so far, Giants have gotten more mileage out of Eli than Rivers/Kaeding/Merriman.

This was his best season to date from a stats perspective, and if had he even a mediocre defense supporting him, the Giants would have likely made the playoffs again.

3 of the QBs left - Manning, Brees, and Favre - are all superstars, and Sanchez is making a strong case to be considered among the likes of Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, etc.

Eli remains the only NFC East QB with a Super Bowl MVP title.

Also, so far, Giants have gotten more mileage out of Eli than Rivers/Kaeding/Merriman.

This was his best season to date from a stats perspective, and if had he even a mediocre defense supporting him, the Giants would have likely made the playoffs again.

3 of the QBs left - Manning, Brees, and Favre - are all superstars, and Sanchez is making a strong case to be considered among the likes of Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, etc.

ok, the dog will bite...how again does any of this translate into a demonstration of how good a QB eli manning is? in a year when he is sitting at home watching the playoffs, this post season gives creedance to how good he is?

the dog has obviously always been critical of manning, probably to an unfair extreme. he did have one of his best years statistically, that is true, but one area that seperates him from the three qb's you mention above, as well as from others in the league, is with the leadership in the dog's opinion...this year that team needed a leader more than anything, and he was not the guy. his blank, casual approach can work when the running game and defense takes the pressure off, and when others step up and provide a leadership face to the franchise...he had an opportunity this year to take on that role, and he didn't deliver in that respect.

side note, nate kaeding may go down as the worst postseason choke artist in league history...if you look at his playoff performances over the years, he is just plain awful. rivers is flat out annoying by way of his attitude (although this year he has seemed to grow up a little), but he is very good all around.

not sure what it means to be "considered among the likes of ryan and flacco," but sanchez is doing nothing more than managing the game well and not losing it for his team...exactly what they need him to be doing right now. just like another NY qb did a few years ago...

My irish ass did Eli just "manage" the game in Green Bay.

Or orchestrate one of the best drives in SB history. :confused:

Rothlesberger also needs a good team around him and a little luck to win SBs, just like every QB does. Hell Tom terrific won SBs by 3 points. A QB can't carry a team because football is probably the most team oriented sport.

Rothlesberger also needs a good team around him and a little luck to win SBs, just like every QB does. Hell Tom terrific won SBs by 3 points. A QB can't carry a team because football is probably the most team oriented sport.

Exactly, It's why I love football. No single player can take over a game and win it by himself. the other parts of the team need to do their job. A Running Doesn't go any ware without good blocking. A QB doesn't have good numbers without receivers that can make a catch and an Oline that can block.

Same thing on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes I agree and I'm very happy that Eli is the QB of the Giants. But I don't see how Rivers losing in the playoffs validates Eli. To me, he's already been validated.

As far as the draft day trade, I think it was one that worked out well for all parties involved. Eli, Ben, Rivers, Warner, Brees all prospered from that move.

ok, the dog will bite...how again does any of this translate into a demonstration of how good a QB eli manning is? in a year when he is sitting at home watching the playoffs, this post season gives creedance to how good he is?

the dog has obviously always been critical of manning, probably to an unfair extreme. he did have one of his best years statistically, that is true, but one area that seperates him from the three qb's you mention above, as well as from others in the league, is with the leadership in the dog's opinion...this year that team needed a leader more than anything, and he was not the guy. his blank, casual approach can work when the running game and defense takes the pressure off, and when others step up and provide a leadership face to the franchise...he had an opportunity this year to take on that role, and he didn't deliver in that respect.

side note, nate kaeding may go down as the worst postseason choke artist in league history...if you look at his playoff performances over the years, he is just plain awful. rivers is flat out annoying by way of his attitude (although this year he has seemed to grow up a little), but he is very good all around.

not sure what it means to be "considered among the likes of ryan and flacco," but sanchez is doing nothing more than managing the game well and not losing it for his team...exactly what they need him to be doing right now. just like another NY qb did a few years ago...

I knew you couldn't resist, Dog.

Romo fell flatter than a pancake against the Vikings. Take the lad out of Jerry Jones' Temple of Excess, and he's very pedestrian. He was responsible for 3 critical turnovers yesterday.

Rivers had a better day than Romo, but in the end, he made some big mistakes as well. In fact, that game was the Chargers to lose....will all due credit to Sanchez, the Chargers had enough offense and defense to win that game if not for Rivers INTS and Kaeding's choke. Like you, I think Kaeding is pretty much worthless in crunch time.

McNabb shit the bed for the 3rd time against the Cowboys, once again dashing the hopes of the Eagles faithful. McNabb will alwasy be a streaky guy; that's why he's never been able to go the distance.

Campbell's mediocrity is a mathematical truth.

Eli Manning is a Super Bowl MVP, who earned his wings against the best football team I've ever seen.

This season, Eli was handicapped by the 2nd worst Giants defense of all time. Think about that a moment...this is a defense that made me nostalgic for Rod Rust, Johnnie Lynn, and Tim Lewis.

So Eli managed to put up an 8-8 record with a defense that flat out sucked cock. If not for Manning, the Giants get swept by the Cowboys and lose to Atlanta. At the very best, with a different QB, they would have been a 5-11 squad this season.

If you put Eli on the Cowboys, Eagles, or the Chargers, they'd still be playing next weekend. That's what I'm saying, Dog.

Yeah Cause Eli is on Defense ? not to mention how mediocre (if that good ) his OC is.

I knew you couldn't resist, Dog.

Romo fell flatter than a pancake against the Vikings. Take the lad out of Jerry Jones' Temple of Excess, and he's very pedestrian. He was responsible for 3 critical turnovers yesterday.

Rivers had a better day than Romo, but in the end, he made some big mistakes as well. In fact, that game was the Chargers to lose....will all due credit to Sanchez, the Chargers had enough offense and defense to win that game if not for Rivers INTS and Kaeding's choke. Like you, I think Kaeding is pretty much worthless in crunch time.

McNabb shit the bed for the 3rd time against the Cowboys, once again dashing the hopes of the Eagles faithful. McNabb will alwasy be a streaky guy; that's why he's never been able to go the distance.

Campbell's mediocrity is a mathematical truth.

Eli Manning is a Super Bowl MVP, who earned his wings against the best football team I've ever seen.

This season, Eli was handicapped by the 2nd worst Giants defense of all time. Think about that a moment...this is a defense that made me nostalgic for Rod Rust, Johnnie Lynn, and Tim Lewis.

So Eli managed to put up an 8-8 record with a defense that flat out sucked cock. If not for Manning, the Giants get swept by the Cowboys and lose to Atlanta. At the very best, with a different QB, they would have been a 5-11 squad this season.

If you put Eli on the Cowboys, Eagles, or the Chargers, they'd still be playing next weekend. That's what I'm saying, Dog.

no offense meant at all, but the dog just thinks this sounds like an effort to make manning relevant in a time right now that he is irrelevant...there are lots of super bowl mvps that wouldn't be considered the among the elite in their position, let alone in football. he performed well this year under the circumstances, but really, the argument here is weak at best. since when does being the only super bowl winning QB in the NFC east translate into being considered one of the best in the league? somebody better let brady know so that his agent can orchestrate a trade to the redskins so he can be considered among the best in his position...and quite frankly, why does the failures of NFC east qbs show that manning is good? is the NFC east the measuring stick for NFL QB production? odd.

Hard to say what would have happened with manning on any other team in playoffs this year - it is something that can't be predicted...a year ago the dog could have said put mcnabb/warner...etc...on the giants and they would have been playing well into the postseason rather than exiting in one...does it make sense to say last year that watching the playoffs shows just how much better mcnabb is than manning? surely you wouldn't agree with that, even though last year that was a much easier argument to make...

no offense meant at all, but the dog just thinks this sounds like an effort to make manning relevant in a time right now that he is irrelevant...there are lots of super bowl mvps that wouldn't be considered the among the elite in their position, let alone in football. he performed well this year under the circumstances, but really, the argument here is weak at best. since when does being the only super bowl winning QB in the NFC east translate into being considered one of the best in the league? somebody better let brady know so that his agent can orchestrate a trade to the redskins so he can be considered among the best in his position...and quite frankly, why does the failures of NFC east qbs show that manning is good? is the NFC east the measuring stick for NFL QB production? odd.

Hard to say what would have happened with manning on any other team in playoffs this year - it is something that can't be predicted...a year ago the dog could have said put mcnabb/warner...etc...on the giants and they would have been playing well into the postseason rather than exiting in one...does it make sense to say last year that watching the playoffs shows just how much better mcnabb is than manning? surely you wouldn't agree with that, even though last year that was a much easier argument to make...

Actually, the point was to contrast Manning with other QBs on superior teams, to see what those other QBs were capable of doing. The answer in 2009 was....not much.

Last year, the Giants defense, late in the year, was actually far more similar to 2009 than 2008. I recall a non-existent pass rush on McNabb. Granted, Eli did not have a good game....but that does not prove your point at all. If it did, then Tom Brady's 2009 performance against the Ravens would declassify him as a great QB, and we all know that's simply illogical.

Look at the all-time great QBs, and usually, they've won a championship once or twice. Some of them - Marino, Fouts - never won the big game, but due to their tremendous production over the course of their careers, they are considered among the best ever.

My point is this - QB's on much better teams are now sitting on the same couch as Eli, who suffered through a season that was decimated by injuries and crippled by an unskilled defensive coordinator.

But when Eli had al lthe proper ingredients - a great running game, and a stout defense - he won it all. These are elements that the Cowboys, Eagles, and Chargers all had this season.....and they fell short.

If Romo, Rivers, or McNabb ever succeed in bringing home a Super Bowl championship (much less an MVP), then they can be compared to Eli Manning. I say this for one basic reason: Romo, Rivers, and McNabb, during their careers, have each had teams that I think were the equal of the 2007 Giants, and they failed to lead them to the championship.

On paper, the 2007 Cowboys were superior to the 2007 Giants.

On paper, the Eagles were much closer matched to the Patriots in SB39 then the Giants were in SB42

Here's another sign of being a "great" QB. The "great" QBs win championships at the expense of other "great" QBs. For example, Steve Young had to defeat Troy Aikman in a classic NFC champtionship on his way to the Super Bowl. Joe Montana beatt John Elway to win one of his. John Elway defeated Brett Favre to win one. Phil Simms had to beat Joe Montana and John Elway on the way to his championship. Peyton Manning had to defeat Tom Brady on his path to the Super Bowl. Tom Brady in turn defeated Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner for his.

And of course, Eli Manning defeated two future Hall of Famer's on his path to a Super Bowl (and I'm not talking Garcia and Romo).

In contrast, let's see how some "2nd Tier" QBs performed against the "greats":

McNabb v Brady....FAIL

Rivers v Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Big Ben.....FAIL.

Romo v Eli Manning, Brett Favre....FAIL.

Aaron Rodgers v Kurt Warner....FAIL.

So, you need to win the Big One, and you need to get there by going through other great ones to be considered in the Top Tier.

Until then, they cannot join Eli in the top echelon which includes (in no particular order): Eli Manning (champion), Peyton Manning (champion), Tom Brady (champion), Big Ben (champion), Kurt Warner (champion), Favre (champion) Drew Brees (production + time).

2nd Tier: Romo, Rivers, McNabb, Rodgers (may be pushing into top echelon soon), Sanchez (he could make the jump in his first season), Flacco, Ryan, Carson Palmer.

I'm sure you'll agree. Thanks.

Actually, the point was to contrast Manning with other QBs on superior teams, to see what those other QBs were capable of doing. The answer in 2009 was....not much.

Last year, the Giants defense, late in the year, was actually far more similar to 2009 than 2008. I recall a non-existent pass rush on McNabb. Granted, Eli did not have a good game....but that does not prove your point at all. If it did, then Tom Brady's 2009 performance against the Ravens would declassify him as a great QB, and we all know that's simply illogical.

Look at the all-time great QBs, and usually, they've won a championship once or twice. Some of them - Marino, Fouts - never won the big game, but due to their tremendous production over the course of their careers, they are considered among the best ever.

My point is this - QB's on much better teams are now sitting on the same couch as Eli, who suffered through a season that was decimated by injuries and crippled by an unskilled defensive coordinator.

But when Eli had al lthe proper ingredients - a great running game, and a stout defense - he won it all. These are elements that the Cowboys, Eagles, and Chargers all had this season.....and they fell short.

If Romo, Rivers, or McNabb ever succeed in bringing home a Super Bowl championship (much less an MVP), then they can be compared to Eli Manning. I say this for one basic reason: Romo, Rivers, and McNabb, during their careers, have each had teams that I think were the equal of the 2007 Giants, and they failed to lead them to the championship.

On paper, the 2007 Cowboys were superior to the 2007 Giants.

On paper, the Eagles were much closer matched to the Patriots in SB39 then the Giants were in SB42

Here's another sign of being a "great" QB. The "great" QBs win championships at the expense of other "great" QBs. For example, Steve Young had to defeat Troy Aikman in a classic NFC champtionship on his way to the Super Bowl. Joe Montana beatt John Elway to win one of his. John Elway defeated Brett Favre to win one. Phil Simms had to beat Joe Montana and John Elway on the way to his championship. Peyton Manning had to defeat Tom Brady on his path to the Super Bowl. Tom Brady in turn defeated Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner for his.

And of course, Eli Manning defeated two future Hall of Famer's on his path to a Super Bowl (and I'm not talking Garcia and Romo).

In contrast, let's see how some "2nd Tier" QBs performed against the "greats":

McNabb v Brady....FAIL

Rivers v Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Big Ben.....FAIL.

Romo v Eli Manning, Brett Favre....FAIL.

Aaron Rodgers v Kurt Warner....FAIL.

So, you need to win the Big One, and you need to get there by going through other great ones to be considered in the Top Tier.

Until then, they cannot join Eli in the top echelon which includes (in no particular order): Eli Manning (champion), Peyton Manning (champion), Tom Brady (champion), Big Ben (champion), Kurt Warner (champion), Favre (champion) Drew Brees (production + time).

2nd Tier: Romo, Rivers, McNabb, Rodgers (may be pushing into top echelon soon), Sanchez (he could make the jump in his first season), Flacco, Ryan, Carson Palmer.

I'm sure you'll agree. Thanks.

to be fair, the charger run game ranked 31st in the league this year, and the defense (16th overall, 20th against the rush) was hardly strong. Makes River's efforts that much more impressive.

you and the dog have had this debate before - winning the super bowl does not automatically vault you into the top of the QB pack...dilfer...williams...johnson...in the recent years. the argument that you need to win the big one and go through the great ones doesn't make sense. doug williams beats elway in the super bowl. he is among the elite upper tier QBs in the NFL in his time?

eli manning is now considered a "great" QB? one good run makes him that? he has been in 4 postseasons, and with the exception of the year when the defense tore through the teams they faced, he is 0-3 in the postseason...that is far from great. your formula is so inconsistent. if the jets win the super bowl this year with sanchez throwing for a stellar 100 yards a game, he is elevated to a top tier QB like that?? by your formula, he vaults past brees? sits in the company of elway? peyton manning? montana? brady? really?

the dog does not agree...thanks. and nothing that is taking place this postseason in any way solidifies eli manning as a better QB. however, since the NFC East is the measuring stick for great QBs, than quite frankly the tiers should go as follows:

tier 1: eli manning, mcnabb, rom, and campbell

Tier 2: everyone else...

You've obviously given this a great deal of though Joe...you might want to add that Mr. Manning won all those playoff games on the road (like Big Ben did).

C. Wagon

Another excellent point, Chuck.....one that The Joe-Joe Dancer will add to his defense of Eli's greatness.

the dog does not agree...thanks. and nothing that is taking place this postseason in any way solidifies eli manning as a better QB. however, since the NFC East is the measuring stick for great QBs, than quite frankly the tiers should go as follows:

tier 1: eli manning,

tier 2; mcnabb, rom, and campbell

Fixed.

Again, the criteria I set - beating the best, and winning the Super Bowl - appears to be reasonable. Certainly, stats have their place, which I conceded with the likes of Marino and Fouts.

But, fair or not, QBs are judged by wins, and in particular, Super Bowls. If McNabb wins it, he joins the club. If Romo wins it, all the doubts are erased....just as Eli Manning effectively silenced his critics after SB42.

I'm open to further discussion. If the Dog has some alternate criteria, I'll give it consideration.

But throwing guys like Williams, Dilfer, and Johnson out there - 3 very good QBs in my opinion - is merely providing the exception to prove the rule. After all, if I'm not mistaken, we are heading into Super Bowl 44 (and there were many NFL Title games before that).

Frankly, if someone came up to me and said "I think Doug Williams was a great QB in his day", I wouldn't put up an argument.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

To say Eli just "managed" those games is again taking it to the unfair extreme. He led the team on a very important TD drive just before the half of the Dallas game. Played probably his best game ever to that point in GB, without throwing a TD. He led the Giants to two 4th quarter TDs in the Super Bowl. He made a lot plays in every game that postseason, and was much more than a "game manager". I'm not saying he's great, he's a very good QB who may one day be considered great.

Keep in mind that Eli had no running game and what many believed was to be a suspect WR corp. He beat the Falcons when the defense tried to give it away. Beat Dallas twice. Would have beaten the Eagles in December and given the Giants the division lead had the defense made ONE stop. Also lost a game to SD on a last minute drive against that putrid defense. Hard to win when your defense is giving up the 2nd highest point total in team history. He did have a couple of clunkers this year, but he was the least of their problems and I'm glad we have him.

Fixed.

Again, the criteria I set - beating the best, and winning the Super Bowl - appears to be reasonable. Certainly, stats have their place, which I conceded with the likes of Marino and Fouts.

But, fair or not, QBs are judged by wins, and in particular, Super Bowls. If McNabb wins it, he joins the club. If Romo wins it, all the doubts are erased....just as Eli Manning effectively silenced his critics after SB42.

I'm open to further discussion. If the Dog has some alternate criteria, I'll give it consideration.

But throwing guys like Williams, Dilfer, and Johnson out there - 3 very good QBs in my opinion - is merely providing the exception to prove the rule. After all, if I'm not mistaken, we are heading into Super Bowl 44 (and there were many NFL Title games before that).

Frankly, if someone came up to me and said "I think Doug Williams was a great QB in his day", I wouldn't put up an argument.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

limiting elite qbs to only those who have won super bowls is limited in thinking. the dog has to disagree with grouping jim plunkett in the same catagory as joe montana...doug williams with troy aikman....trent dilfer with tom brady....

take a look at the following numbers...they are the career numbers for what you would call an "elite" nfl QB because in a 12 year career he had one super bowl victory:

TD-INT 173-220

Yards 27,663

QB Rating 65.5

here's one for you - doug williams reached elite status in a season where he played in exactly 5 whole games before the post season...that is how he reached elite status.

the career numbers of another "elite" qb according to you:

TDS

INT

YDS

RTG

look, you want to ordain manning as an elite qb, the dog will simply agree to disagree until he does more than ride the defense to a title in one postseason (the only time in 4 post seasons that he could lead his team out of the first round, a point that doesn't seem to mark against him in your formula). but to argue that a super bowl win as a qb defines you as elite with total disregard to the circumstances of a particular season and the career around the super bowl wins is flawed. and the dog still can't figure out why romo and mcnabb's failures in the playoffs this season elevates manning's status further when he couldn't elevate his team to that level this year...the great qbs should be defined by what they accomplish when the supporting cast is weak as much as what they do when they are blessed with a potent defense and reliable running game (see Elway/Marino...etc...). Good night Mighty Joe. the dog is tired.

Going down this road again if we must.....ahh well. Eli simply managed the game in the 2007 playoffs? Here are some instances from that post season where he did a tad more than "manage" the game, a la Trent Dilfer.

Divisional Round, down 14-7 to the Cowboys, after a close to 10 minute 18 play TD drive by the Cowboys, Eli and his offense get the ball back with 47 seconds left on the clock. What does Manning and his offense "manage" to do? They drive right down the field aided by some clutch passes to Steve Smith, Kevin Boss and a TD strike to Amani Toomer. Totally changed the games momentum. Hardly managing a game. A conservative approach with a QB "managing" games would have been to be content to be down 7 at the half.

Championship game, freezing cold, Lambeu. What did ELI do to "manage" this game. Threw the ball 40 times and put on an absolute clinic of abuse on AL Harris with Plaxico Burress. Giants did not run the ball exceptionally well that day and ELI had plenty of drops on a cold night by his Wr's, but managed to lead the offense with his arm. Again not the gameplan of a team with a QB simply "managing" things.

Super Bowl. Did something that at the time only 2(now 3 with Ben last year) qbs had ever done. Led their team down the field for a go ahead touchdown in the final 3 minutes of a SUper Bowl. The other was this guy named Joe Montana in 1988 vs the Bengals. We will not go over the particulars of the drive, or the type of game he played, been there we know it. When you are one of only 2(now3) qbs to do what he did you are hardly simply a game manager.

Eli Manning is not a problem for the Giants. He is a cool customer under pressure. Has proven it on the biggest of stages and has something that is worth its weight in gold, does not let the NY media bother him one bit. He took steps this year and put up numbers that many felt he never would playing in the northeast with a roster of novice WR's. In fact all I hear about is how well Peyton did with his two young WRS in Collie and Garcon. Eli did pretty well with his young WRS too. Eli's defense sabotaged a terrific season for him. In fact this is 2 years in a row now where he is plus 10 or more td/int ratio.

Going down this road again if we must.....ahh well. Eli simply managed the game in the 2007 playoffs? Here are some instances from that post season where he did a tad more than "manage" the game, a la Trent Dilfer.

Divisional Round, down 14-7 to the Cowboys, after a close to 10 minute 18 play TD drive by the Cowboys, Eli and his offense get the ball back with 47 seconds left on the clock. What does Manning and his offense "manage" to do? They drive right down the field aided by some clutch passes to Steve Smith, Kevin Boss and a TD strike to Amani Toomer. Totally changed the games momentum. Hardly managing a game. A conservative approach with a QB "managing" games would have been to be content to be down 7 at the half.

Championship game, freezing cold, Lambeu. What did ELI do to "manage" this game. Threw the ball 40 times and put on an absolute clinic of abuse on AL Harris with Plaxico Burress. Giants did not run the ball exceptionally well that day and ELI had plenty of drops on a cold night by his Wr's, but managed to lead the offense with his arm. Again not the gameplan of a team with a QB simply "managing" things.

Super Bowl. Did something that at the time only 2(now 3 with Ben last year) qbs had ever done. Led their team down the field for a go ahead touchdown in the final 3 minutes of a SUper Bowl. The other was this guy named Joe Montana in 1988 vs the Bengals. We will not go over the particulars of the drive, or the type of game he played, been there we know it. When you are one of only 2(now3) qbs to do what he did you are hardly simply a game manager.

Eli Manning is not a problem for the Giants. He is a cool customer under pressure. Has proven it on the biggest of stages and has something that is worth its weight in gold, does not let the NY media bother him one bit. He took steps this year and put up numbers that many felt he never would playing in the northeast with a roster of novice WR's. In fact all I hear about is how well Peyton did with his two young WRS in Collie and Garcon. Eli did pretty well with his young WRS too. Eli's defense sabotaged a terrific season for him. In fact this is 2 years in a row now where he is plus 10 or more td/int ratio.

Damn :clap: