SportsWrath

Why we're in this situation

Gspotter

1. some of our greatest defensive success was when we singled up on WR's and that's because we had Sam, we had Web, we had RW and we could play more than this zone which isn't working

2. Kenny Phillips is not the difference, but CC Brown is not good...almost always out of place.

3 No DL pressure, not sure why, but we're flat here. Either Fred and Co. are out of gas or we deploying them in obvious ways.

4. The running game is easy to understand, we're in trouble because they can stack and move the LB's up. The problem is that we're giving up on Jacobs too soon and it's time for a 3 back rotation, like we did with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

5. jerry Reese, like all genius GM's, has lost sight of the obvious in the passing game: you manage the cap by growing your own through the draft, but we only got over the hump by getting a big name FA: P. Burress.

6. Eli has never been an accurate passer and many of his big passes to Burress required all of Plax's height to grab them. Without them he can through pretty balls that aren't catchable.

7. Sheridan may be a bad fit as the DC, might have been a great LB coach, but as a total strategist, he's not good and not getting better.

8. In becoming a more player friendly coach, TC may have lost his teeth too. Older players like Tiki and Strah complain, get their way, and then we go in decline. Perhaps the SB was the fruits of TC's methods and everything else we've gotten has been from that change?

I also think Osi's been flat this year, so I don't know how to fix all of this at once and I'm not sure if we can beat top flight teams. One thing's certain, what we're doing isn't working and I for one cannot believe the amount of points we're allowing: it's embarrassing.

1. some of our greatest defensive success was when we singled up on WR's and that's because we had Sam, we had Web, we had RW and we could play more than this zone which isn't working

2. Kenny Phillips is not the difference, but CC Brown is not good...almost always out of place.

3 No DL pressure, not sure why, but we're flat here. Either Fred and Co. are out of gas or we deploying them in obvious ways.

4. The running game is easy to understand, we're in trouble because they can stack and move the LB's up. The problem is that we're giving up on Jacobs too soon and it's time for a 3 back rotation, like we did with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

5. jerry Reese, like all genius GM's, has lost sight of the obvious in the passing game: you manage the cap by growing your own through the draft, but we only got over the hump by getting a big name FA: P. Burress.

6. Eli has never been an accurate passer and many of his big passes to Burress required all of Plax's height to grab them. Without them he can through pretty balls that aren't catchable.

7. Sheridan may be a bad fit as the DC, might have been a great LB coach, but as a total strategist, he's not good and not getting better.

8. In becoming a more player friendly coach, TC may have lost his teeth too. Older players like Tiki and Strah complain, get their way, and then we go in decline. Perhaps the SB was the fruits of TC's methods and everything else we've gotten has been from that change?

I also think Osi's been flat this year, so I don't know how to fix all of this at once and I'm not sure if we can beat top flight teams. One thing's certain, what we're doing isn't working and I for one cannot believe the amount of points we're allowing: it's embarrassing.

What about Pierce and the LBers

Tex Schram was on ESPN radio this morning saying everyone is taking advantage of our lousy LBer coverage and looking for over the middle easy passes

Pierce and Danny Useless should both be put on a bus to Alaska

put Chase at MLBer and bring two young guys off the bench to play OLBer

Tex Schram was on ESPN radio this morning saying everyone is taking advantage of our lousy LBer coverage and looking for over the middle easy passes

At this point Jack, I don't defend anyone on our defense, not Web, not Osi, none of them. I think the LB's are made to look bad, but zone schemes can do that when your LB's don't do well in space and have a leaky secondary.

The LB's are not dazzling and even with Boley in there, I'm not highly convinced. I'm a litle more concerned about our front 4 not getting pressure though. Quiet year for the DE's. More importantly, I'm also worried more about Safety and our overall poor tackling.

I echo your previous post, I'm not sure where to begin. I'd say it starts up front though and I don't mean blitzing.

At this point Jack, I don't defend anyone on our defense, not Web, not Osi, none of them. I think the LB's are made to look bad, but zone schemes can do that when your LB's don't do well in space and have a leaky secondary.

The LB's are not dazzling and even with Boley in there, I'm not highly convinced. I'm a litle more concerned about our front 4 not getting pressure though. Quiet year for the DE's. More importantly, I'm also worried more about Safety and our overall poor tackling.

I echo your previous post, I'm not sure where to begin. I'd say it starts up front though and I don't mean blitzing.

lets hope this is all a bad dream and they wake up

this is beginning to remind me of the bill arnsparger era

did you note the difference in intensity between the eagles and ourselves? it was enormous

they played like their season depended on it,.....we played like we were on weed

How you could single out the play of any of our linebackers and say "he's not the problem" is beyond me. You could almost forgive poor pass coverage, but they're not stopping the run, either. None of them are playing like starters.

They have looked flat out unprepared for good teams. Coaches are doing poorly getting them ready to play and without any execution whatsoever, this leads to a blow out.

:clap:

I have to agree. When a team blows past you that fast then clearly the coaches were caught with their collective pants down. The Eagles are a good team but apparently the Giants were the scrimmage team this time. When does Pierce bring his horn back? Also as I firmly believe that the difference between a top 5 team and a bottom 5 team is coaching.

:clap:

I have to agree. When a team blows past you that fast then clearly the coaches were caught with their collective pants down. The Eagles are a good team but apparently the Giants were the scrimmage team this time. When does Pierce bring his horn back? Also as I firmly believe that the difference between a top 5 team and a bottom 5 team is coaching.

Countless times I heard an announcer or even someone watching the game with me say "Wow, it looked like they knew that exact play was coming" or "That's just good film study right there"....albeit, Eli telegraphed that pick when Collinsworth(or Aikman or whoever it was) got a woody about Samuels film study....but it was seen in the Eagles play all afternoon, on both sides of the ball. They knew they had to stop Brandon Jacobs by getting him to run east and west and shuffle and eventually stop, his feet from moving (Jacobs needs to look at how Steven Jackson runs the football), and they did just that. They knew they had to get pressure on Eli and force him to make errant throws. They knew if they got up big, early, Eli would force even more errant passes. Mcnabb knew to work the middle of the field against the linebackers and the safeties...none of it was rocket science, but they were prepared and brought proper execution.

The Giants just don't seem to have that preparation, and worse, lack the personnel to even attempt the execution. The blitzes are consistently late or given away too soon (especially from the secondary). The run defense lacks any toughness and Tuck seems to be the only one able to catch a running back running outside. The front four haven't been getting any pressure (at least Robbins and Cofield are getting their hands up though) on their own. Our linebackers are slow in coverage and give up big runs and big first downs on short pass plays. CC Brown is obviously the weak link in the secondary but even Webster has been suspect in these past weeks (his inability to be physical in going for the ball being his biggest flaw). They're out of position, can't tackle(the attempt at "tackling" Lesean Mccoy was pathetic), and consistently give up big plays. When you're giving up 40 yard touchdown runs to fullbacks, and make him look as fast as Devin Hester, something is terribly wrong in the defensive backfield.

And the worst part? The coaches are unable to adapt their game plan to something that might better hide our defensive or offensive weaknesses.

And the worst part? The coaches are unable to adapt their game plan to something that might better hide our defensive or offensive weaknesses.

the dog thinks that is exactly it - they have been "hiding" these weaknesses for the last year plus. jacobs never ran downhill unless there was a car-sized hole to run through, despite what people want to believe, it is not a new phenomenon. the difference was, teams had to account for shockey and bburress (yes, shockey was overrated, but he demanded attention from defenses), and smith was effective as the third man in. all of this covered for mannings inconsistency as a QB. couple that with a defensive front that was for a stretch relentless and nasty, which helped cover the weakneeses that have always existed in the defensive backfield, and things were good...now, teams have stacked up against the run, the line isn't opening the holes they once did, jacobs weaknesses as a runner are exposed - no run game means more falls on manning - his inadequacies are compounded by weaker receivers that can't cover that up, and all is in direct correlation with a defensive unit that teams have figured out how to expose...recipe for the season they have had to date...how correctable it is, who knows...

I think we're all worried now and with good reason. I am really underwhelmed by Reese compared to EA. Neither of them great, but at least EA had a sense of what we needed. Reese merely inherited a SB team and a ring for it. That ring is Accori's and I'm thinking specifically about our WR situation...just unacceptable...keeping Sinorce Moss is a fiine example...I don't care if he was Jerry Rice all through training camp, that has never translated into his game and he's simply the worst returner ever.

the dog thinks that is exactly it - they have been "hiding" these weaknesses for the last year plus. jacobs never ran downhill unless there was a car-sized hole to run through, despite what people want to believe, it is not a new phenomenon. the difference was, teams had to account for shockey and bburress (yes, shockey was overrated, but he demanded attention from defenses), and smith was effective as the third man in. all of this covered for mannings inconsistency as a QB. couple that with a defensive front that was for a stretch relentless and nasty, which helped cover the weakneeses that have always existed in the defensive backfield, and things were good...now, teams have stacked up against the run, the line isn't opening the holes they once did, jacobs weaknesses as a runner are exposed - no run game means more falls on manning - his inadequacies are compounded by weaker receivers that can't cover that up, and all is in direct correlation with a defensive unit that teams have figured out how to expose...recipe for the season they have had to date...how correctable it is, who knows...

And for some reason, week after week, Coughlin and Co are unwilling to cut their losses and go into the half down....in this case it could have been by 9.....Eli has proved week after week that he is especially prone to being picked off or sacked for a fumble if you force him to try to make things happen down big at the end of the first half. We cannot keep spotting teams two touchdowns, getting back into the game (kind of), and then blowing it by giving up a big turnover in our half of the field before the half and giving up more points (and then more points, in less than 2 minutes we went from being down 9 to being down 23, simply because of stupid mistakes, poor tackling, and forced throws). We don't have the offensive explosiveness to spot teams 30 points.

Further, where is this urgency in the second half? It's like Tom Coughlin has somehow turned into Andy Reid or something, the offense looks unprepared at the line, Eli can no longer manage the play clock, and there is no sense of urgency or desire to come back in this team anymore.