SportsWrath

Trades to come?

BigPete

I have been looking at the Giants situation

I think there are some trades that will happen this preseason.

There is a log jam of talent at both WR and LB. I think Reese will trade guys to get value (much like we did with Ryan Grant), he isn't likely to let talent get away without some value.

I think we will trade one out of Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss or David Tyree, most likely for draft picks

similarly at LB there is too much talent for the roster spots available. We know Sintim is the heir apparent at SLB. Clark is the solid stop gap until he is ready. Pierce is there largely due to his leadership and Goff is likely the heir apparant inside. DeOssie will keep his roster spot for special teams in lieu of a traditional long snapper. Boley will likely be the eventual starter at WLB, meaning Kehl, Blackburn and Wilkinson are likely competing for a single roster spot, we could well trade Kehl, Blackburn or Wilkinson.

as far as players to trade for, we aren't going to trade for players unless we get a really good deal, but I wouldn't completely rule them out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as players that could be available:

Braylon Edwards isn't that far off the trade block and seems on the outer

Roddy White and Dunta Robinson are holding out and Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson and Vince Wilfork are very unhappy with their deals (but at camp); All of these have reasonable justification for a pay rise having outplayed their current contracts

I could certainly see some trades happening soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't mind Reese making a play for Dunta Robinson

I think we ideally need one more good DB for our secondary. It also means that Webster, Ross and Robinson all can rotate in at CB with Dockery and Smith. Robinson compliments Webster and Ross well.

Terrell Thomas could shift to FS where I think he is much better suited (in addition to continuing to play in sub packages)

our secondary could look like:

CB: Corey Webster, Dunta Robinson, Aaron Ross, Kevin Dockery, DeAndre Smith/Stoney Woodsen

SS: Michael Johnson, CC Brown

FS: Kenny Phillips, Terrell Thomas, Shareff Rashaad/Vince Anderson

I have been looking at the Giants situation

I think there are some trades that will happen this preseason.

There is a log jam of talent at both WR and LB. I think Reese will trade guys to get value (much like we did with Ryan Grant), he isn't likely to let talent get away without some value.

I think we will trade one out of Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss or David Tyree, most likely for draft picks

similarly at LB there is too much talent for the roster spots available. We know Sintim is the heir apparent at SLB. Clark is the solid stop gap until he is ready. Pierce is there largely due to his leadership and Goff is likely the heir apparant inside. DeOssie will keep his roster spot for special teams in lieu of a traditional long snapper. Boley will likely be the eventual starter at WLB, meaning Kehl, Blackburn and Wilkinson are likely competing for a single roster spot, we could well trade Kehl, Blackburn or Wilkinson.

as far as players to trade for, we aren't going to trade for players unless we get a really good deal, but I wouldn't completely rule them out.

Roddy White and Dunta Robinson are holding out and Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson and Vince Wilfork are very unhappy with their deals (but at camp); All of these have reasonable justification for a pay rise having outplayed their current contracts

I could certainly see some trades happening soon

I wouldn't mind Reese making a play for Dunta Robinson

I think we ideally need one more good DB for our secondary. It also means that Webster, Ross and Robinson all can rotate in at CB with Dockery and Smith. Robinson compliments Webster and Ross well.

Terrell Thomas could shift to FS where I think he is much better suited (in addition to continuing to play in sub packages)

our secondary could look like:

CB: Corey Webster, Dunta Robinson, Aaron Ross, Kevin Dockery, DeAndre Smith/Stoney Woodsen

SS: Michael Johnson, CC Brown

FS: Kenny Phillips, Terrell Thomas, Shareff Rashaad/Vince Anderson

Pete, a couple of things. What on earth makes you think Terrell Thomas is better suited for Safety? He did a good job at corner last year, and I think it's way too early in the kid's development to either make that determination or put him through a position change. I think the Giants won't import a high salary guy because of cap considerations, so no trade here unless it is for picks down the road. I think top to bottom we are pretty set with the guys we have.

Secondly, I still don't understand why Goff's name continues to get mentioned as an heir apparent to Pierce when Goff has not even really seen the field. He's a mid-round pick who may be a bust. This just in, he had 2 tackles last year in 5 games. Chase Blackburn was behind Pierce on the depth chart at middle linebacker until he was moved out of position because of injuries. If anything happens to Pierce, it will be Blackburn, who has actually contributed to the football team regularly and has come up gang busters at times.

Another thing, you are willing to give up on Kehl as well, who has shown flashes of being a very solid WLB. If there is a linebacker that is expendable out of this group, it's Goff!

I think with Clark, Pierce, Boley, Blackburn, Kehl, and Sintim, that is your first and second string and throw in DeOssie, those 7 guys are more than likely going to make the 53 man roster. Guys that are probably on the bubble are Wilkinson and Goff.

I think there is no way in hell Reese trades for a wide receiver unless something catastrophic happens. They are happy with Nicks and the Giants don't want a high dollar wide receiver anymore... signability may be an issue long term. Don't think that Moss or Tyree will hold any trade value, and Manningham not enough value for just compensation for where he was drafted. I have a sneaky feeling the Giants are going to try and keep all 7 wide receivers. I know that sounds crazy, but I don't think we'll see a cut. In fact, more likely is one of them will start the year on PUP, making room for the other 6 (My vote is Sinorice)

Enjoy this... this is one of those rare teams that doesn't need really any tweaking.... just enjoy watching this group gel, I believe this is a special group that is going to be a championship team.

Roddy White and Dunta Robinson are holding out and Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin

Any of these guys would be fine with me and a major upgrade but it would take draft picks- the Giants receivers you mentioned wouldn't catch much interest.

Pete, a couple of things. What on earth makes you think Terrell Thomas is better suited for Safety? He did a good job at corner last year, and I think it's way too early in the kid's development to either make that determination or put him through a position change. I think the Giants won't import a high salary guy because of cap considerations, so no trade here unless it is for picks down the road. I think top to bottom we are pretty set with the guys we have.

Secondly, I still don't understand why Goff's name continues to get mentioned as an heir apparent to Pierce when Goff has not even really seen the field. He's a mid-round pick who may be a bust. This just in, he had 2 tackles last year in 5 games. Chase Blackburn was behind Pierce on the depth chart at middle linebacker until he was moved out of position because of injuries. If anything happens to Pierce, it will be Blackburn, who has actually contributed to the football team regularly and has come up gang busters at times.

Another thing, you are willing to give up on Kehl as well, who has shown flashes of being a very solid WLB. If there is a linebacker that is expendable out of this group, it's Goff!

I think with Clark, Pierce, Boley, Blackburn, Kehl, and Sintim, that is your first and second string and throw in DeOssie, those 7 guys are more than likely going to make the 53 man roster. Guys that are probably on the bubble are Wilkinson and Goff.

I think there is no way in hell Reese trades for a wide receiver unless something catastrophic happens. They are happy with Nicks and the Giants don't want a high dollar wide receiver anymore... signability may be an issue long term. Don't think that Moss or Tyree will hold any trade value, and Manningham not enough value for just compensation for where he was drafted. I have a sneaky feeling the Giants are going to try and keep all 7 wide receivers. I know that sounds crazy, but I don't think we'll see a cut. In fact, more likely is one of them will start the year on PUP, making room for the other 6 (My vote is Sinorice)

Enjoy this... this is one of those rare teams that doesn't need really any tweaking.... just enjoy watching this group gel, I believe this is a special group that is going to be a championship team.

Terrrell Thomas has been solid for us at CB in his limited role so far, I just think he lacks a little speed and quickness to be a good corner and would be a great fit at FS

I am in no way giving up on Kehl, to be honesty I really like him, but (barring injury) some players that we like will be squeezed out at LB, there just isn't enough roster spots. Ideally I would like to see Kehl supplant Clark at SLB until Sintim is ready, but I am not sure the front office will go that way.

I disagree with you about the trade value Moss, Manningham and Tyree. All have ability and you can guarantee there are a few teams that would really like these guys on the roster. And there is no way we go with 7 WRs, there is just not enough roster spots available.

The way I see it the roster spots will be something like

3 QB, 4 RB, 1 RB, 6 WR, 3 TE, 8 OL, 8 DL, 7 LB, 10 DB, 1 K, 1 P and the last roster spot coming down to OL, DL or LB depending on how training camp and preseason shakes up.

If any players do start the season on the PUP list, I think it will more likely be Robbins and/or Boley; but hopefully everyone will be healthy

I think Reese would make a trade for a player, but only for the price he is willing to pay.; It is certainly a long shot but could happen. Interestingly the willingness for teams to pay these good players has dropped right off, presumably their trade value is as well.

I think you have too many DBs, but need another OL, so 9 DB's. Here is how I have it shaking out:

Final 53 man roster according to Jim (not Belushi).

OFFENSE

QB Manning

QB Carr

QB Bomar

RB Jacobs

RB Bradshaw

RB Ware

RB Brown

FB Hedgecock

WR Nicks

WR Smith

WR Hixon

WR Manningham

WR Barden

WR Tyree

TE Boss

TE Beckum

TE Matthews

TE Johnson

OL McKenzie

OL Snee

OL O'Hara

OL Seubert

OL Diehl

OL Koets

OL Beatty

OL Boothe

OL Whimper

DEFENSE

DE Tuck

DE Umenyiora

DE Kiwanuka

DE Tollefson

DT Canty

DT Cofield

DT Robbins

DT Bernard

DT Alford

LB Pierce

LB Boley

LB Clark

LB Sintim

LB Blackburn

LB Kehl

LB DeOssie

CB Webster

CB Ross

CB Dockery

CB Thomas

CB DeAndre Wright

S Phillips

S CC Brown

S Johnson

SPECIAL TEAMS

P Feagles

K Tynes

That is 53 guys. Here are some notes about my roster: I kept 4 TE's because Darcy Johnson is too talented and Michael Matthews too good a blocker, who can also serve as an emergency OL. Some guys that wil be placed on the practice squad: Stoney Woodson, Andre Woodson, Andrew Carnahan, and Maurice Evans. One notable cut: Gerris Wilkinson. Guys that have either real or mysterious injuries that will therefore start the season on PUP: Sinorice Moss and Jonathan Goff.

Now that's a great team.

A final note, Boley will most assuredly not start the year on PUP unless he re-aggravates or acquires a new injury. He is a starter all the way, and his one game suspension will not keep him out of the lineup for week 2. Robbins, we'll have to wait and see as I understand his injury was much more serious.

all i can think of is this poster IS Goff

makes about as much sense as bringing criminals and police to the white housse for beer

Blackburns our MLBer deal with it

Pierce will be cut

I doubt a trade is coming.

Reeese has shown that he is not one to make any trades unless it's a player who is wants off the team i.e. Shockey. I mean look at the last couple years he has been in the office and all of the "trades" the Giants were going to get done or atleast were on the table, Braylon Edwards, Anquan Boldin, Tony Gonzalez, ect. Reese time after time has either said that most of these trades are false rumors or that he believes they wouldnt be best for the team. I think he's going after the NE Patriot type of team/system, have a solid set of starters across the board and then stack the talent behind them so you can rotate or replace in case of injury during the season.

I know we have quite a few WRs but we are going to be keeping them all (I'm starting to believe we keep 7 during the season) because we have such a young, inexperienced core with alot of potential. So why trade some of them away for draft picks that wont benefit us until next year? Ok I can see someone making the case "But if we get more draft picks we can trade them for Boldin or Edwards you stupid noob!!!" However once again Reese has shown so far anyways he doesnt like throwing his draft picks around unless he truly believes in what hes getting and since we have already been down the whole "The Giants are one minuet away from signing Edwards" I doubt we will make a play for them again...unless it's in free agency.

The only position I see us trading players away is in the LB core, we have alot of players there who might not even see the field this year. I see Clark/Pierce/Boley starting then eventually Sintim over throwing Clark which means we have Goff/Kehl/Wilk/Blackburn sitting in the background. I doubt we will trade Blackburn since he is a good ST players and doesnt hold alot of trade value. Goff hasnt shown much on the field so really the only two I could see us using as trade bait is Kehl and Wilk, however I personally think Kehl is going to eventually replace Pierce once that time comes. So I can see us using Wilk as trade bait but I dont know what we could get with him.

So like I said I highly doubt we make any sort of trade because of how Reese likes to build a team through the draft so we have alot of talent on the bench and try to keep the team unity together and not have any "trade rumors" hanging over their heads.

I doubt a trade is coming.

Reeese has shown that he is not one to make any trades unless it's a player who is wants off the team i.e. Shockey. I mean look at the last couple years he has been in the office and all of the "trades" the Giants were going to get done or atleast were on the table, Braylon Edwards, Anquan Boldin, Tony Gonzalez, ect. Reese time after time has either said that most of these trades are false rumors or that he believes they wouldnt be best for the team. I think he's going after the NE Patriot type of team/system, have a solid set of starters across the board and then stack the talent behind them so you can rotate or replace in case of injury during the season.

I know we have quite a few WRs but we are going to be keeping them all (I'm starting to believe we keep 7 during the season) because we have such a young, inexperienced core with alot of potential. So why trade some of them away for draft picks that wont benefit us until next year? Ok I can see someone making the case "But if we get more draft picks we can trade them for Boldin or Edwards you stupid noob!!!" However once again Reese has shown so far anyways he doesnt like throwing his draft picks around unless he truly believes in what hes getting and since we have already been down the whole "The Giants are one minuet away from signing Edwards" I doubt we will make a play for them again...unless it's in free agency.

The only position I see us trading players away is in the LB core, we have alot of players there who might not even see the field this year. I see Clark/Pierce/Boley starting then eventually Sintim over throwing Clark which means we have Goff/Kehl/Wilk/Blackburn sitting in the background. I doubt we will trade Blackburn since he is a good ST players and doesnt hold alot of trade value. Goff hasnt shown much on the field so really the only two I could see us using as trade bait is Kehl and Wilk, however I personally think Kehl is going to eventually replace Pierce once that time comes. So I can see us using Wilk as trade bait but I dont know what we could get with him.

So like I said I highly doubt we make any sort of trade because of how Reese likes to build a team through the draft so we have alot of talent on the bench and try to keep the team unity together and not have any "trade rumors" hanging over their heads.

BiC, I agree with the premise of your post but not following you so much on the linebacker part. I really don't think they will trade Kehl. I think Kehl can start at WLB and we'd be more than fine. Wilkinson doesn't hold much trade value, either. But you said you think Kehl will eventually replace Pierce? I find that puzzling, because Kehl is a OLB. Not to say it isn't possible. Sheridan could do that to get the best 3 LBers on the field at the same time, but Kehl is best suited to play WLB, and he has shown brilliant flashes in that role. I think your heir apparent Pierce at this point is Blackburn until somebody else comes along. I know Jack takes some crap for his man love of Blackburn, but he has really been a solid tackler and linebacker for us on the field, and performed pretty admirably last year making a lot of starts out of position at the WIL. The future of the linebacking corps as it stands now, to me, seems to be Sintim, Blackburn, and Boley (if we're talking about 2010). Beyond the next couple of years, it could very well be Sintim, Blackburn, and Kehl. I do not see a place for Goff or Wilkinson on this roster, although in Goff's case I believe they will try to retain his rights by placing him on PUP if they need to. I kind of expect Wilkinson to be cut.

The Giants carried 7 linebackers after they trimmed the roster down to the final 53 for the 2008 season. If you're interested, here is the link where you can see the team as it was comprised to open the '08 season after final cuts were made: Giants.com - Eisen

In my final 53, I also have them going with 7 this year. And if you look at my 7, can you honestly expect Goff or Wilkinson to take the spot of any of these guys?

Boley - Giants haven't had a WLB of his caliber in a while

Pierce - Valued still as a coach on the field and leader

Clark - Last year's starter will likely start '09 that way until Sintim is ready

Sintim - Highly touted 2nd rounder definitely ain't gettin' cut! Can't wait to see what he can do.

Blackburn - Started 8 games last year and finished 7th on the team in tackles, only 9 behind Danny Clark, who started 15 games.

Kehl - 35 tackles last year, and showed great speed, coverage ability, and athleticism.

DeOssie - Has made himself indispensable by becoming a Pro Bowl special teamer as well as the team's long snapper.

Goss had 2 tackles last year, Wilkinson 10. Wilkinson has had ample time to distinguish himself, and hasn't. Kehl has shown us something in far less time. IMO, these two guys need to have a huge camp and exhibition season to have a shot at making the roster.