SportsWrath

Domenik Hixon interview

Mr. P

The Domenik Hixon interview

May 10, 2009 6:21 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day. If you haven't purchased a card for your mother -- or the mother of your children -- it's not too late. Giants wide receiver Domenik Hixon spent the weekend with his mom in Columbus, Ohio. He heard that many of you sent him questions Friday, so he agreed to a 20-minute phone interview Saturday.

If you're someone who's interested in what players do in their downtime, you'll enjoy the first part of the interview. If you only care about football, just skip the part about motorcycles. Here's a large portion of the interview.

Beast: I understand you're a pretty huge Cavs fan.

Hixon: Yeah, when I was in college [at Akron], LeBron James' high school team played at our arena [The Jar]. We'd be having football meetings in the arena, and you'd see him come walking through. You could tell pretty early that he was on a different planet than the other kids. But I was rooting for the Cavs before he came along. Now, it's just a lot more fun because they're winning.

Beast: What do you do in the offseason to get away from football?

Hixon: I have an internship this offseason selling motorcyle parts and accessories for Pompton Plains (N.J.) Honda. My uncle and dad had a motorcyle they all rode, and it's something that I have a passion for.

Beast: Is Tom Coughlin aware of this passion?

Hixon: [Laughing] Actually the Giants helped me set up the internship. I'm not planning to ride motorcycles until I'm done with football.

Beast: So do you own one?

Hixon: Yes, a company called All Things Chrome helped me put one together. It's a Suzuki GSX-R with a 360 tired on it. Most of it's chrome and it's white and black with some silver. It's more of a show bike. I'm definitely a motorcycle enthusiast.

Beast: How much time do you spend at the dealership right now?

Hixon: After I workout, I usually head over there and hang out for a few hours. It's definitely something I'm interested in doing after football.

Beast: I know you grew up in Germany before playing high school football in the Columbus, Ohio area. What's your favorite food from back home?

Hixon: I love schnitzel. And I like it plain. Over here, I'm constantly in search of the best steak, though. Right now, my favorite is Del Friscos, but I'm open to recommendations.

Beast: What specific part of your game are you trying to improve this offseason?

Hixon: Overall, I'm trying to become stronger and faster. I'm simply trying to improve my craft. My speed is what sets me apart from some people, so I'm trying to increase that aspect of my game.

Beast: How much time are the receivers spending with Eli Manning in addition to just the normal voluntary workouts?

Hixon: We usually go out as a group after our workouts and run a series of plays. Then we'll go in the classroom at least three times per week. It's usually sort of an open session, but Eli's the one seeking feedback a lot of times. He'll let us know what he saw on pre-snap reads and sort of make sure we're on the same page.

Beast: When Plaxico Burress was suspended late in the season, did you put too much pressure on yourself to replace him?

Hixon: I wouldn't say pressure. I was kind of hard on myself with some things. That's a tough learning curve. You could definitely say that the level of expectation changed. But I just kept trying to get better.

Beast: I'm sure you heard all the rumors about you guys trading for veteran receivers such as Braylon Edwards and Anquan Boldin. How much attention did you pay to that, and does it give you some confidence that the team didn't feel compelled to bring in a veteran?

Hixon: I stay out of all that, but my friends and family do a pretty good job of informing me what's going on. When I started hearing my name come up in stories about a trade to the Browns, everyone from back home started calling. It's not like I was a big Browns fan or anything, but they all thought it would be cool for me to come home. As for me feeling better about my status on the team, I never allow myself to get comfortable. That's the best way for me to operate.

Beast: Did you stay in touch with Burress after the season?

Hixon: He was still reaching out to us even when things looked bad for him. He's actually a great guy, but unfortunately some things happened that took him out of the picture.

Beast: Do you think people expect to much from you -- based on where you are in your career?

Hixon: No, I have huge expectations for myself. But I'm trying not to skip any steps along the way. I was talking to Sam Madison one day and he talked to me about how things happen so quickly in this league. I can't believe I'm already in my fourth year. I'm going to enjoy this time, but at the same time, I don't want to leave anything on the table. I'll have a lot more confidence heading into this season.

Beast: Does it bother you at all that the Giants took a couple of wide receivers fairly early in the draft?

Hixon: Not at all. I can't wait to line up and work with them in the minicamp. If you're going to make it in this league, you better be pretty competitive. I don't look at like, 'They're not happy with me.' It just means I have to keep getting better."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-10-42...-interview.html

I really like Hixon. Met him here in AZ. Still think given a full yr opportunity to be a #1, he could do it.

I honestly hope he's our 4th WR this year.

Nicks, Smith, Barden, Hixon, Manningham...

I'm not giving up on Manningham. The guy was beast in college and made some amazing catches. I really hope he can excel as a Giant.

Me neither...that's why I'm putting him ahead of Moss...I don't know where Moss will be...

And I honestly see Hixon dropping from 1st to 4th. He couldn't get it done last year.

Me neither...that's why I'm putting him ahead of Moss...I don't know where Moss will be...

And I honestly see Hixon dropping from 1st to 4th. He couldn't get it done last year.

No one could get it done last yr after Plax was suspended. You cant blame that on Hixon.

I think Hixon would be a much better slot receiver with Smith the #2.

You know thats what I've been saying as well. Smith is our reliable get the first down #2 and have Hixon lined up against some third string CB.....Hixon will win 99% of the time.

Couldn't get it done? guess you missed that 296 total yards against Arizona, the Dallas game where he had 6 receptions,the Carolina game that he tied,the Seattle game. The guy drops one pass against the Eagles and hes the worst wideout in the NFL,and we all wanted Boldin who drops the ball alot and Edwards who drops the ball alot but Hixon is garbage

I think Hixon and Nicks will be our 1 and 2 this year.

Keep Smith at slot receiver..he can't stretch the field.

You know I hear that alot but I know of a number of times he has gotten past the D. Think of the Eagles playoff game if you want to bring back that memory :brooding: but Smith got behind the Eagles D atleast two times that I recall and one would of been a sure fire TD if Eli was just a wee bit more accurate that day.

For some reason and I'm sticking buy it, Smith has been groomed for and is going to be a great #2 WR for us. In my mind heres the starting WRs come opening day:

#1. Hicks

#2. Smith

#3. Hixon

#4. Tyree/Manningham (if Manningham shows he is a first round WR who just got busted with Marry-J)

#5 Manningham (if he is still learning)

#6. Barden/Moss (It all depends on how Barden matures if the coaches like him Moss is gone, if he needs work expect him to be on the PS and have Moss who knows the system here)

#7 Tyree (if Manningham beats him out that is)

I think the Barden/Moss would be interesting to see, if Barden can prove he can play special teams and the coaches think he's ready to step up in this young WR crew expect Moss to be cut. If Barden is struggling expect him to be placed on the practice squad for a few games, since the coaches would feel better with Moss who has experiance in the WR core.

Edit: Then again the Giants might want to carry 7 WRs, I dont know.

Couldn't get it done? guess you missed that 296 total yards against Arizona, the Dallas game where he had 6 receptions,the Carolina game that he tied,the Seattle game. The guy drops one pass against the Eagles and hes the worst wideout in the NFL,and we all wanted Boldin who drops the ball alot and Edwards who drops the ball alot but Hixon is garbage

Guess you missed the 4 or 5 deep balls Eli delivered perfectly over his shoulders that he let bounce off his mitts.

43 receptions. 2 Touchdowns. Definitely not getting it done. Hixon would not be a starter on most other NFL teams, we simply had to make him a starter.

Steve Smith got it done. And he got it done the year before that during the season AND during the playoffs. He deserves a starting spot. Hixon benefited from an excellent preseason...and apparently, in a move inspired no doubt by Jack Stroud, that meant he could get it done against starting cornerbacks.

Domenik Hixon has poor hands, runs poor routes, but has good speed. 1/3 will not cut it in the NFL.

BTW, stats do not lie. Consider this.

Week 5 against Seattle, Hixon had one touchdown catch. Plax had no hole in his leg.

His final touchdown of his measly two touchdown season came in a meaningless game against Minnesota. THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON.

Grand total of touchdowns caught replacing Plaxico Burress, 1...in a game we played our second string.

Game. Set. Match.

I honestly hope he's our 4th WR this year.

Nicks, Smith, Barden, Hixon, Manningham...

This will not happen anytime soon with the exception of steve smith. unless there's a move (which i still hope for) hixon is #1

i remember hixons drop against eagles but dont remember 4 or 5 deep balls he dropped.

and i love smith, but the season before this where he got it done during the season as you put it, he had 8 catches for the reg. season.

Guess you missed the 4 or 5 deep balls Eli delivered perfectly over his shoulders that he let bounce off his mitts.

43 receptions. 2 Touchdowns. Definitely not getting it done. Hixon would not be a starter on most other NFL teams, we simply had to make him a starter.

Steve Smith got it done. And he got it done the year before that during the season AND during the playoffs. He deserves a starting spot. Hixon benefited from an excellent preseason...and apparently, in a move inspired no doubt by Jack Stroud, that meant he could get it done against starting cornerbacks.

Domenik Hixon has poor hands, runs poor routes, but has good speed. 1/3 will not cut it in the NFL.

I have to disagree Storm. Hixon was never given a full chance. He was a 4th WR at best when we got him, and was only thrust into the staring role when Plax shot himself. Not fair to judge him by a half a yr, where he had to keep wondering if he was gonna start or not. He's quick, has better hands then you are saying and showed flashes of the ability to make the grab last yr. Give him a chance I say.

Guess you missed when he beat ANTOINE WINFIELD.

i remember hixons drop against eagles but dont remember 4 or 5 deep balls he dropped.

and i love smith, but the season before this where he got it done during the season as you put it, he had 8 catches for the reg. season.

Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer were the starters. And he(along with others) gave us a shot at coming back in the Super Bowl. Name one time Domenik Hixon made a game changing play.

Guess you missed when he beat ANTOINE WINFIELD.

Yah in a meaningless game that we lost. :lol:

Fact is, he didn't step up like was expected. How do you reward someone with that and automatically call him the starter? It will be Nicks and Smith, bank on it. As you've all said, Hixon is at best a number 3.

Yah in a meaningless game that we lost. :lol:

Fact is, he didn't step up like was expected. How do you reward someone with that and automatically call him the starter? It will be Nicks and Smith, bank on it. As you've all said, Hixon is at best a number 3.

I don't know who expected him to be a Plaxico or whatever..I was shocked when he made those plays for us.

etheir way, right now Hixon is the best full receiver on our team.

Him and Smith will start, eventually smith will be put back at Slot.

and Nicks will go as the number 2.

I have to disagree Storm. Hixon was never given a full chance. He was a 4th WR at best when we got him, and was only thrust into the staring role when Plax shot himself. Not fair to judge him by a half a yr, where he had to keep wondering if he was gonna start or not. He's quick, has better hands then you are saying and showed flashes of the ability to make the grab last yr. Give him a chance I say.

A whopping 1 touchdown grab in 8 games as a starter? Naw, I'll take potential from a highly touted rookie over that.

And I don't know what the first game Plax missed was, but let's say halfway through the season...he had 33 catches in 8 games replacing. 4 catches a game and less than 400 yards in that time. 4 catches a game, 50 yards, ~.1 touchdowns. Great numbers from your starting wideout. I'm not giving him any breaks because he "had to keep wondering if he was the starter"...what, did he think Plaxico was going to come back? The only reason I could see him wondering if he was going to start was wondering whether or not the coaches might bench his ass and actually give Mario Manningham a chance.

That's poor production, anyway you look at it.