SportsWrath

No Manny? No Tickets.

RandolphScott

If the New York Mets do NOT sign Manny Ramirez, I will not purchase a single item that is Mets

related. They do not deserve to have my money any longer, I've had enough with this bullshit.

I'm sorry, but you just cannot go into the season with Daniel Murphy (still, VERY much wet behind

the ears in the outfield) and Fernando Tatis in left field.

What if they win the division without Manny? Will you admit you were wrong and buy a Division Champion Mets T-shirt?

By the way, I'll save you the "if"... they ain't signing no Manny Ramirez. Nope. Not happening. Not gonna do it. It's not prudent... at this... juncture.

If the New York Mets do NOT sign Manny Ramirez, I will not purchase a single item that is Mets

related. They do not deserve to have my money any longer, I've had enough with this bullshit.

I'm sorry, but you just cannot go into the season with Daniel Murphy (still, VERY much wet behind

the ears in the outfield) and Fernando Tatis in left field.

Holding down the fort for Fernando Martinez.

What if they win the division without Manny? Will you admit you were wrong and buy a Division Champion Mets T-shirt?

By the way, I'll save you the "if"... they ain't signing no Manny Ramirez. Nope. Not happening. Not gonna do it. It's not prudent... at this... juncture.

You are the fanbase the Wilpons want. Blinded by mediocrity and content with "meaningful" September games.

Funny thing about the cheap ass Wilpons this year, they could give a rats fuck about meaningful September games this year as opposed to last year you know why? Because they have their new stadium and know every game will be sold out as no matter what, 44,000 people will still want their chance(possibly 1st) to come see their new pretty home. The meaningful game mantra that Freddy and Jeffy boy adhered too was simply so dopes like us would come and spend money in September, they will not have that worry in 09.

Sad thing is there are too many folks like you that fall in love with the Angel Pagans, Fernando Tatis and Timm Reddings of the world to realize you are not winning shit with the likes of them.

You are the fanbase the Wilpons want. Blinded by mediocrity and content with "meaningful" September games.

Funny thing about the cheap ass Wilpons this year, they could give a rats fuck about meaningful September games this year as opposed to last year you know why? Because they have their new stadium and know every game will be sold out as no matter what, 44,000 people will still want their chance(possibly 1st) to come see their new pretty home. The meaningful game mantra that Freddy and Jeffy boy adhered too was simply so dopes like us would come and spend money in September, they will not have that worry in 09.

Sad thing is there are too many folks like you that fall in love with the Angel Pagans, Fernando Tatis and Timm Reddings of the world to realize you are not winning shit with the likes of them.

Seriously? I admit I overhyped Angel Pagan. But you are misreading my statements. I thought then like I think now. Certain players can help a team win that are not superstars. They don't have to be. They just do what they do well and fill a need. I didn't think Pagan was going to come into LF and make the All-Star team. Same for Tatis. But what Tatis does well is hit lefties well and with power. Used properly, he can help us win games. Same for Pagan.

But nowhere did I say anything positive about Redding. I don't think he should be a regular starting pitcher on the Mets. He is only ok on his good days and a little below average on most days, and disastrous on his bad days.

I don't think he will get a LOT of starts with the Mets this year. I think Niese or Garcia will win the job over him, and he will be relegated to long man in the pen.

I'm willing to bet, if you had Fred and Jeff's money, you might also balk at giving top dollar to a 37 year old that has had the questionable episodes that Manny has, and who doesn't run or play defense well. Manny might win us a pennant this year if we sign him. But what if things go bad and Manny starts being Manny? Given the NY media, it could be an implosion of epic proportions, and this franchise cannot afford any more epic implosions. What if age begins to catch up to Manny, and Martinez is ready to come up to the bigs? What are you going to do with a declining superstar that nobody wants with a big contract? What if Manny becomes Luis Castillo on steroids? Manny won't care, he's still getting his $25 million, and you better not bench his ass.

What is crazy is saying we can throw $25 million at Manny and thinking everything is ok, a pennant or division title is guaranteed... because in no way is it guaranteed. If our pitchers pitch well and this bullpen finishes games this year instead of blowing them, we will win the division, without Manny. So why take on the huge risk of Manny that could be disastrous.

You guys want the big star to make you feel better, make you feel like a pennant is within reach. But I really believe you would take a lot more factors into consideration if it was YOUR $50 million+.

Another funny thing about the "cheap ass" Wilpons... the fielded a team last year that had the 3rd highest payroll in MLB last season, and only missed having the 2nd highest payroll by a couple of hundred thousand dollars. They are paying more than all but 1 or 2 teams in all of MLB to try and field a winner.

Another funny thing about the "cheap ass" Wilpons... the fielded a team last year that had the 3rd highest payroll in MLB last season, and only missed having the 2nd highest payroll by a couple of hundred thousand dollars. They are paying more than all but 1 or 2 teams in all of MLB to try and field a winner.

This is precisely the type of thing the Wilpons want you to drink in their orange and blue kool aid. I could care less about what the payroll is. These stupid ass cheapskates and CONTINUALLY missed out on the player that they NEEDED and could have for years. They missed out on Vlad all those years ago and sold us a bill of goods on crap players.

Here is the bottom line. Despite what you want to believe or think the Mets have, its a corner OF situation that consists of a guy who HAS NEVER EVER EVER EVER been anything more than a DECENT major league outfielder in one spot and 2 guys in the other who a)are unproven and b)nothing more than a bat off the bench and spot starter. It goes beyond being cheap, its about making sense. Jim I will put it for you in terms of the Phillies, lets say they replaced Burrell with not another consistent RBI man in Ibanez, but an unproven 150 at bats in the majors converted infielder rookies and a guy who was out of baseball for 3 years. Would you be telling all the Met fans how the Phils have improved and have guys that know how to win and help you win?

There is one key element you are completely missing with Manny and thats his ability to take a team and carry it. Despite what your complete biasness wants to tell you, there is not a hitter in this lineup who as a MET(notice I say as a Met not Astro, Blue Jay etc)that HAS EVER carried this team when times got tough and the hits mattered most(see 2006 playoffs and the subsequent chokes in 07 and 08). The pressure that Manny would take off of Delgado and Beltran AND ESPECIALLY Wright would be enormous. Have you seen Mannys post season numbers? The guy hits and hits best when it matters, something that this team has proven with this bunch they just cannot do.

None of us are stupid or naive to think that its about big names, its about what makes sense and this guy is sitting there and it makes sense now, its the perfect storm. The fucking manager for gods sakes thinks its a perfect fit, David Wright thinks its a great idea, what more proof do you need?

the mets can't be an in between team. if they're going to have the 3rd highest payroll then they HAVE to go for it and get all the best players they can get. there's no half-assing it if you ahve a brand new stadium and already have a high payroll.

This is precisely the type of thing the Wilpons want you to drink in their orange and blue kool aid. I could care less about what the payroll is. These stupid ass cheapskates and CONTINUALLY missed out on the player that they NEEDED and could have for years. They missed out on Vlad all those years ago and sold us a bill of goods on crap players.

Here is the bottom line. Despite what you want to believe or think the Mets have, its a corner OF situation that consists of a guy who HAS NEVER EVER EVER EVER been anything more than a DECENT major league outfielder in one spot and 2 guys in the other who a)are unproven and b)nothing more than a bat off the bench and spot starter. It goes beyond being cheap, its about making sense. Jim I will put it for you in terms of the Phillies, lets say they replaced Burrell with not another consistent RBI man in Ibanez, but an unproven 150 at bats in the majors converted infielder rookies and a guy who was out of baseball for 3 years. Would you be telling all the Met fans how the Phils have improved and have guys that know how to win and help you win?

There is one key element you are completely missing with Manny and thats his ability to take a team and carry it. Despite what your complete biasness wants to tell you, there is not a hitter in this lineup who as a MET(notice I say as a Met not Astro, Blue Jay etc)that HAS EVER carried this team when times got tough and the hits mattered most(see 2006 playoffs and the subsequent chokes in 07 and 08). The pressure that Manny would take off of Delgado and Beltran AND ESPECIALLY Wright would be enormous. Have you seen Mannys post season numbers? The guy hits and hits best when it matters, something that this team has proven with this bunch they just cannot do.

None of us are stupid or naive to think that its about big names, its about what makes sense and this guy is sitting there and it makes sense now, its the perfect storm. The fucking manager for gods sakes thinks its a perfect fit, David Wright thinks its a great idea, what more proof do you need?

First, no manager would say they didn't want Manny, except maybe Terry Francona. You mentioned Wright there... but he also said, "If he puts the team first." Wright recognizes Manny is a risk that could end up being a divisive force and could cause a major distraction/headache. When you are as good a player as Manny, you shouldn't inspire any caveats if someone asks about you coming to your team.

That said, you make the best argument for Manny here that I have seen. I appreciate what you said and much of it I agree with. Manny could do all those things you mentioned, no doubt about it. But I wouldn't want him for more than a 1 year deal. And that's just not happening. I don't want a major drain on the payroll for a guy who is in serious decline, which will happen with Manny sooner rather than later. I'm not saying this year, but it could be next year, and almost assuredly, the year after THAT (2011). And if Manny gets upset or feels slighted, he could turn that clubhouse into a firestorm. The NY media will always be circling like vultures over him... and if it goes bad, it will REALLY go bad, just like Boston. All for $25 million. Then what happens if we need to get a player midseason? I think we would be much more handcuffed with the addition of Ramirez than right now. Right now we still have a little flexibility.

I really like Ramirez the hitter. But I just don't think Ramirez the person would always be beneficial to the Mets. I understand why you guys want him so bad. You guys don't think the Mets can win without him. If I believed that, I would be right there with you. But I don't. I think they can win with the guys they have now plus Ollie or even Sheets if he stays healthy. But he's not the only guy out there but everyone is fixated on him. Again, I think this team can win with this roster... and there is no reason to think that we can't, seeing as we came so close last year with a shit 'pen, and we have addressed that issue.

In a stunning late february trade the Mets are going to swing Fernando Martinez and a young pitching prospect to the Rangers for SS--soon to be 2b Michael Young. Maybe they'll throw in Saltalamachia too

I feel it :TU:

I hope not! If they did that deal they would HAVE to throw in Salty. You guys are going to go nuts over Martinez's talent. When the Mets call him up he is going to really show his goods. Just watch this dude in Spring Training.

I hope not! If they did that deal they would HAVE to throw in Salty. You guys are going to go nuts over Martinez's talent. When the Mets call him up he is going to really show his goods. Just watch this dude in Spring Training.

I love F-Mart's talent too but I don't want to wait anymore. He's gifted but he's also been through injuries and an team that has been impatient with him and rushed him up. OF prospects and the Mets just don't mesh. Having a team-oriented ballplayer like Young would add so much to this lineup NOW and for the future. And fill a void at 2b.

I love F-Mart's talent too but I don't want to wait anymore. He's gifted but he's also been through injuries and an team that has been impatient with him and rushed him up. OF prospects and the Mets just don't mesh. Having a team-oriented ballplayer like Young would add so much to this lineup NOW and for the future. And fill a void at 2b.

when have they rushed him? he has a handful of MLB at bats. No reason to trade him for a 32 year old middle infielder. Thanks but no thanks.

I am confused, are we speaking for F-Mart with being rushed? He has just spend two years in AA and has yet to make it to AAA and the majors. I say he is on pretty good pace to make the majors next year. He is finally showing off some of his power and power comes with time. I think he is going to be good but the team cannot wait for him. They need to make a move now.

when have they rushed him? he has a handful of MLB at bats. No reason to trade him for a 32 year old middle infielder. Thanks but no thanks.

Through the farm. I've read a lot that says we've rushed him, so I'll trust the opinions of scouts.

Young's 32 alraedy?

Through the farm. I've read a lot that says we've rushed him, so I'll trust the opinions of scouts.

Young's 32 alraedy?

Rushing through the farm makes no sense to me, its the minor leagues. if he aint ready for the AA ball he played at 19 he sure as shit aint ready for the majors.

Rushing through the farm makes no sense to me, its the minor leagues. if he aint ready for the AA ball he played at 19 he sure as shit aint ready for the majors.

Well, nobody's talking right now. Obviously he did very well in winter ball and let's see what he does in Spring Training and in AAA ball this year. If he hits well in AAA then a late season call up wouldn't be out of line.

Manny just turned down 1 year/25 mill from LA. He previously turned down 2/45 Time for the Mets to get involved. 3 yr/65 should do it.

Are you crazy blu? The Mets have Daniel Murphy, Fernando Tatis and Ryan Church in the corner spots. I would so much rather have 2 converted infielders and a marginal player over the best right handed clutch bat in baseball.

Are you crazy blu? The Mets have Daniel Murphy, Fernando Tatis and Ryan Church in the corner spots. I would so much rather have 2 converted infielders and a marginal player over the best right handed clutch bat in baseball.

Now you are starting to see the light! :clap::P

"2 converted infielders", "marginal player"... just labels. Labels are discarded all the time in sports.

• 4 weeks later...