SportsWrath

Giant Players Meet/Workout Together Today For First Time For '06

Plax 4 Prez

Giants Hit the Weights

Team gathers for first day of offseason conditioning program.

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Read this story from your BlackBerry, phone or other wireless device at http://giants.com/wireless

March 20, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. –Seventy-one days after their 2005 season ended with a one-sided loss to the Carolina Panthers in an NFC Wild Card Playoff Game, the Giants reconvened to begin preparing for 2006.

06_0320_53.jpg

LB Reggie Torbor hits the weights on the first day of the Giants offseason conditioning program.

The team’s offseason conditioning program began today. The players were weighed, lifted weights and did some cardiovascular work, renewed acquaintances or, in the case of newcomers like Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters, met teammates for the first time.

“This is a fun day,” tackle Kareem McKenzie said. “You get to see everybody, you get to start on the 2006 season and you get to, once again, come back to a job that you love. It’s a little bit of a lighter mood because it’s a new year, but at the same time we can’t forget the way we ended last season. We have the ability to change that. We come into this year with a better sense of direction.”

Asked if the 23-0 loss to the Panthers lingered with him for a while, McKenzie said, “It still does. Who would have ever imagined that game would have turned out the way it did. To say it leaves a sour taste in your mouth is an understatement. You don’t ever want to prepare as well or work as hard as we did throughout a whole year and have it end that way. That’s unacceptable.”

With the commencement of the offseason program, the Giants can officially put that defeat behind them and focus on the new season.

NOTES

• Veterans Madison and McQuarters, two of the six defensive backs the Giants added last week, became acquainted with the strange surroundings and new teammates and coaches.

“It’s very exciting, trying to learn and meet new guys,” said Madison, who joined the Giants after nine years with the Miami Dolphins. “When you’ve been in one place for nine years, it tends to get complacent sometimes. This is a fresh start for me. Nobody here really knows me or knows what I can do. You want to make those other 10 guys on the field respect you and let them know that you’re here to win football games."

McQuarters is entering his ninth season in the league: two with San Francisco (which selected him on the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft), five with Chicago and last season with Detroit. Walking into an unfamiliar locker room is nothing new to him.

“This is my fourth team in nine years,” he said. “You just have to adapt – adapt to the coaches, adapt to the staff, adapt to the players, adapt to the system. If you can adapt, you can go from either coast or anywhere in-between.”

• Eli Manning was asked about his relationship with wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who did not catch a pass in the Carolina game.

“I think Plax and I are on good terms,” Manning said. “We need to work together and try to figure out a way to improve our game. I have to get back to (using) better fundamentals and continue to learn this offense to improve. Both of us need to get on the same page … with our thoughts and what we need to improve on. We’ll have plenty of time to do that. That’s something that doesn’t have to start right now. We’ll have plenty of time to do those things.”

• The Giants have spent the early portion of the offseason upgrading their secondary. No new player of significance has joined the offense, which center Shaun O’Hara said is indicative of the unit’s strength.

“We have the talent on offense,” O’Hara said. “When you look at an 11-5 record, which we had, and you look at the way we lead the NFL through the first half of the season in scoring, we definitely have the talent and the potential to be a good offense. And I think we have the potential to be great. It’s up to us to decide what we want to do with it now.

“Coming into this year is a lot different than last year. There were a lot more unknowns last year. Coming into this offseason I think we are all expecting great things. I don’t think anybody is going to settle for mediocrity at any level, whether it’s in the weight room, on the field or in the classroom. I think it’s a great tribute to the front office that we have every one of our starting offensive players coming back.”

• Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce reiterated that the high ankle sprain than kept him out of the season’s final four games – including the playoffs – is healed.

“There’s no more healing for me,” Pierce said. “It’s about working out.”

• McKenzie said the hamstring injury that sidelined him for 2½ games last season is fully healed.

“I’m 100 percent,” he said. “I’m as chubby as ever and ready to go out there and have some fun. You have to fatten up in the winter. You have to stay warm. Heat costs are going through the roof.”

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=14809

Wow! A contributive post by Plax 4 Prez!

There is a first time for everything!

We're are still waiting for your first... not only an intelligent post, but for you to get laid...with a female.. we all know your a homo

Guest Lockhart
Come on you moron. In Miami, getting in great shape. Duh.

I see- so while all the rest of the Giants show up in NJ, Plaxico and Shockey feel they don't have to and they can work out where they wish. Forget the fact that Coughlin and Eli asked them to come to NJ - they are too good to work out with their teammates. There is another receiver in the NFL that does the same thing every year - Terrell Owens.

So much for either of these two ever being team leaders. I guess Eli can throw with Toomer, Tiki and the other reeceivers. Apparently Plaxico and Shockey don't have the time.

Edited by Lockhart

I see- so while all the rest of the Giants show up in NJ, Plaxico and Shockey feel they don't have to and they can work out where they wish. Forget the fact that Coughlin and Eli asked them to come to NJ - they are too good to work out with their teammates. There is another receiver in the NFL that does the same thing every year - Terrell Owens.

So much for either of these two ever being team leaders. I guess Eli can throw with Toomer, Tiki and the other reeceivers. Apparently Plaxico and Shockey don't have the time.

So what does it matter... It's not going to mean a differance after they play another bad ass season... then what are you going to say??

Guest Lockhart
So what does it matter... It's not going to mean a differance after they play another bad ass season... then what are you going to say??

Plaxico disappeared after November - he missed the last team meeting of 2005 and now the first team meeting of 2006 - real pro he is. I can't help but remember the bomb he dropped in Washington that hit him ein the hands in the end zone - doesn't seem to bother him a bit. Palxico played a bad ass first half of a season, disappeared in the second half, and quit on Eli and the Giants at halftime of the playoff game. He trulyt does have the TO attittude, but he lacks the TO talent.

Plaxico disappeared after November - he missed the last team meeting of 2005 and now the first team meeting of 2006 - real pro he is. I can't help but remember the bomb he dropped in Washington that hit him ein the hands in the end zone - doesn't seem to bother him a bit. Palxico played a bad ass first half of a season, disappeared in the second half, and quit on Eli and the Giants at halftime of the playoff game. He trulyt does have the TO attittude, but he lacks the TO talent.

So you admit Eli threw beautiful pass?? :o Lol, you contridict yourself alot

McKenzie said the hamstring injury that sidelined him for 2½ games last season is fully healed.

“I’m 100 percent,” he said. “I’m as chubby as ever and ready to go out there and have some fun. You have to fatten up in the winter. You have to stay warm. Heat costs are going through the roof.”

:LMAO:

Guest Lockhart
So you admit Eli threw beautiful pass?? :o Lol, you contridict yourself alot

One pass - Plaxico also quit on some other patterns, sometimes not even reaching for the ball. Now he is skipping meetings and workouts. The Giants must regret signing this clown - just like TOhe is turning into one big distraction his second season. Marvin harrison goes to Indy to work out with the team and throw with Peyton in the offseason - that is why he is an all-pro every year. Plaxico doesn't have the work ethic to be that good.

Eli's poor completion rate and his 4 TD passes versus 10 interceptions in his last 6 games of 2005 describes his game.

Edited by Lockhart

We're are still waiting for your first... not only an intelligent post, but for you to get laid...with a female.. we all know your a homo
Plax, please be careful what you write to valuta. You might be accused of child abuse. :LMAO::clap:

One pass - Plaxico also quit on some other patterns, sometimes not even reaching for the ball. Now he is skipping meetings and workouts. The Giants must regret signing this clown - just like TOhe is turning into one big distraction his second season. Marvin harrison goes to Indy to work out with the team and throw with Peyton in the offseason - that is why he is an all-pro every year. Plaxico doesn't have the work ethic to be that good.

Eli's poor completion rate and his 4 TD passes versus 10 interceptions in his last 6 games of 2005 describes his game.

Then explain why they performed so good in the first 10 games... If working out in Miami was such a big deal then why was Shockey and Burress one of the best TE and WR combo's in the league??? You make no sense.

Edited by Plax 4 Prez

Here is the word you heard many times on that other board but couldn't/wouldn't understand. Voluntary! That means it is up to the individual to choose. Try to understand the meaning of the word "voluntary"! I know it's hard for you, a star wr at a prestigious unnamed college to understand English. That is why you got zero on the Wonderlic test and never played in the NFL. Be of good heart, you did achieve the highest score on the Wonder Lick test that the other members of the Fab group administered to you. :LMAO::clap:

Here is the word you heard many times on that other board but couldn't/wouldn't understand. Voluntary! That means it is up to the individual to choose. Try to understand the meaning of the word "voluntary"! I know it's hard for you, a star wr at a prestigious unnamed college to understand English. That is why you got zero on the Wonderlic test and never played in the NFL. Be of good heart, you did achieve the highest score on the Wonder Lick test that the other members of the Fab group administered to you. :LMAO::clap:

:rock: :worshippy:

Guest nosebleed
Where was Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress?

:LMAO:

There is nothing shocking here. No Plexi and no Shockless. This is the first of many offseason programs that will be missed by these "teammates." Burress has probably not spoken to any player since the Carolina game. Skipping out of the last team meeting, not showing up for the first, what a joke.

Let's hope passing camp did wonders for the skinny QB and how about touching a weight????

Guest Lockhart

I understand it, as does every receiver in the NFL, yet it is TO , Shockey and Plaxico that choose not to show up, while almost all the others do. What is especially galling about their absence is the fact that Coughlin and Eli specifically asked them both to attend - and still they refused. Marvin Harrison shows up - chad Johnson shows up - Steve Smith Shows up-Anquan Boldin shows up- Larry Fitzgerald shows up-Reggie Wayne shows up-etc. The giants have a young Qb that fell apart in the last part of the season and Shockey and Plaxico don't seem to care - instead of trying to help Eli with timing and confidence - they blow off the Giants and Eli again. The NY media will be going nuts on this one and they should. It's time these guys decide whehter they are part of the Giants or not.

Guest nosebleed
I understand it, as does every receiver in the NFL, yet it is TO , Shockey and Plaxico that choose not to show up, while almost all the others do. What is especially galling about their absence is the fact that Coughlin and Eli specifically asked them both to attend - and still they refused. Marvin Harrison shows up - chad Johnson shows up - Steve Smith Shows up-Anquan Boldin shows up- Larry Fitzgerald shows up-Reggie Wayne shows up-etc. The giants have a young Qb that fell apart in the last part of the season and Shockey and Plaxico don't seem to care - instead of trying to help Eli with timing and confidence - they blow off the Giants and Eli again. The NY media will be going nuts on this one and they should. It's time these guys decide whehter they are part of the Giants or not.

Soon they will be sipping margarita's poolside laughing at postcards stating "Come Home", sent from QB Weakling.

Guest Lockhart
Soon they will be sipping margarita's poolside laughing at postcards stating "Come Home", sent from QB Weakling.

Exactly - just like last year at this time, Eli will make some plea through the media for Shockey and Plaxico to show up in NJ and again they will ignore him and their teammates, both underminding Eli's role as the offensive leader and reducing any rhythm in the passing game. It almost makes one wonder if they want Eli to fail.

Edited by Lockhart