SportsWrath

RIP Bobby Murcer

so-cal dub

Just heard this on the radio this morning:

On the morning of 1979, Murcer gave the eulogy for Thurman Munson's funeral in Ohio. Then the team flew back to play a game at Yankee Stadium. Billy Martin told Murcer to take the day off- Murcer said No, I gotta play.

Down 3-0 in the 5th, Murcer hit a 3 run homer to tie the game.

Down 4-3 in the bottom of the 9th, Murcer hit a 2 run double (credited with single because game over) to win it.

Talk about Tragedy and Triumph...

Just heard this on the radio this morning:

On the morning of 1979, Murcer gave the eulogy for Thurman Munson's funeral in Ohio. Then the team flew back to play a game at Yankee Stadium. Billy Martin told Murcer to take the day off- Murcer said No, I gotta play.

Down 3-0 in the 5th, Murcer hit a 3 run homer to tie the game.

Down 4-3 in the bottom of the 9th, Murcer hit a 2 run double (credited with single because game over) to win it.

Talk about Tragedy and Triumph...

I remember that game, I was there with my dad and uncle. I remember that day, and the day The Captain died. I was 9 and a catcher on my little league team. I was in tears.

His passing deeply saddens me. I kept expecting him to come back to the booth and my heart was always lifted once I heard his voice. He may not have been a superstar baseball player, but he was far above average and played with a great deal of heart. Characterwise, he was a superstar and man will he be missed.