SportsWrath

Ernie Accorsi comes out of retirement - accepts new position

BleedinBlue

NFL hires ex-Giants' GM Accorsi

Former New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi has been hired as a consultant to the NFL and will co-chair a new general managers advisory committee.

Accorsi will focus on assisting the league in monitoring compliance with rules and policies, and achieving better communication with senior club football personnel, NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson said today.

Accorsi retired from the Giants after the 2006 season following a 35-year NFL career, the last 14 with the Giants, including nine as general manager. He also served as general manager of the Cleveland Browns (1985-92) and Baltimore Colts (1982-83).

The new advisory committee will provide advice on protecting and supporting the integrity of the game, expanded use of technology, player development and scouting opportunities, and ways to improve the Pro Bowl, Scouting Combine, NFL Draft and preseason.

Anderson will co-chair the new general managers committee with Accorsi.

The committee also will include Jerry Angelo (Chicago Bears), Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh Steelers), Rod Graves (Arizona Cardinals), James Harris (Jacksonville Jaguars), Tom Heckert (Philadelphia Eagles), Marty Hurney (Carolina Panthers), Mickey Loomis (New Orleans Saints), Carl Peterson (Kansas City Chiefs), Jerry Reese (Giants), Tim Ruskell (Seattle Seahawks), Rick Smith (Houston Texans) and Mike Tannenbaum (New York Jets).

O shit. There goes the league. At least when he was GM of the Giants, his stupidity was limited to our own team. Now he gets to influence the entire NFL. DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snee, Diehl, Manning, Toomer, Osi, Pierce, Kiwi, Tuck, Seubert, O'Hara, McKenzie, Burress, Jacobs, Tiki, Wilson....he was hit or miss but you can't deny he helped pick the majority of the starters. Which is why he got a ring.

I will say this though, his more recent drafts seem to have been better which I would attribute to Reese being director of scouting.

Snee, Diehl, Manning, Toomer, Osi, Pierce, Kiwi, Tuck, Seubert, O'Hara, McKenzie, Burress, Jacobs, Tiki, Wilson....he was hit or miss but you can't deny he helped pick the majority of the starters. Which is why he got a ring.

I will say this though, his more recent drafts seem to have been better which I would attribute to Reese being director of scouting.

And Coughlin as coach.

Very true.

I definitely give credit to EA for having a hand in the formation of the current team. However, i believe, and like you said, it was the input of Reese, & to an extent TC, in the later years that really paved the way for the SB team. Especially when it comes to the 2nd-7th rounders. His years working with Fassel.....ugh. That O-line scared the shit out of me. Same for the secondary. Regardless, he did a great deal in helping to form the SB team. I applaud him for that.