SportsWrath

TOp 10 Pass Rushers if Strahan retires

I dont think LBers should be on the List. Most times when a LBer gets a sack he isnt touched. say 7 out of 10 average LBers sacks would be a sack without being blocked. Anyony agree?

I can see your point here and pretty much agree. Safeties and corners rush the passer at times too.

I dont think LBers should be on the List. Most times when a LBer gets a sack he isnt touched. say 7 out of 10 average LBers sacks would be a sack without being blocked. Anyony agree?

In that case i guess you can say LT isnt considered one of the greatest pass rushers ever...

Many people do, but he still reinvented the position of a pass rushing outside linebacker.

And his skillset proves that he was a tremendous pass rusher. That's why I think LBs are considered pass rushers. They don't just go to the QB untouched every time.

Most linebackers don't exactly excel at pass rushing, though...it's the speedy, physical guys like Merriman(read: roided up, haha) who excel at pass rushing on the blitz from the LB position...other than him I really can't think of too many great pass rushing LBs, currently...

I agree with the people saying in order for Osi to be top 3, he needs to work on expanding his arsenal because all he really does do is run up the field off the LTs left shoulder as fast as he can and if he can turn the corner before the QB can see what he's up to and step up, he'll get the sack. Mcnabb was hampered with some leg injury when we faced him, hence his inability to avoid Osi...he definitely needs to take a page out of Strahan's book and learn the 'club' and the swim move to the inside in order to truly excel at his position.

Most linebackers don't exactly excel at pass rushing, though...it's the speedy, physical guys like Merriman(read: roided up, haha) who excel at pass rushing on the blitz from the LB position...other than him I really can't think of too many great pass rushing LBs, currently...

I agree with the people saying in order for Osi to be top 3, he needs to work on expanding his arsenal because all he really does do is run up the field off the LTs left shoulder as fast as he can and if he can turn the corner before the QB can see what he's up to and step up, he'll get the sack. Mcnabb was hampered with some leg injury when we faced him, hence his inability to avoid Osi...he definitely needs to take a page out of Strahan's book and learn the 'club' and the swim move to the inside in order to truly excel at his position.

And he had the human toll trying to block him in Winston Justice, when William Thomas

came back from injury...Osi was a non factor...as he was in most of the games this year.

Did he even have a sack in the playoffs?

And he had the human toll trying to block him in Winston Justice, when William Thomas

came back from injury...Osi was a non factor...as he was in most of the games this year.

I'm not sure...but he definitely disappears, they are right in putting him where they put him. My question is do we put Tuck at defensive end if/when Strahan retires? Or do we keep him as a DT and find a new defensive end?

I'm not sure...but he definitely disappears, they are right in putting him where they put him. My question is do we put Tuck at defensive end if/when Strahan retires? Or do we keep him as a DT and find a new defensive end?

I think you'd have to put Tuck there when Strahan retires...he stops the run.

:huh:

Do you only consider sacks as being a factor?

Uh, no.

If Osi could stop the run, I'd actually give him credit. There is a reason why

the opposing teams run most of their screens and run plays towards him.

No if theres one thing I give Osi credit for its for becoming more of an all around end. He's been much more effective against the run and not nearly as often is he caught over pursuing.

In week 17 he ripped Matt Light to shreds but didnt get a sack. In the SB he had a very good game too but I think he only got one. He made his impact felt, he's just gotta stop relying on a couple of moves and vary it up more.

In that case i guess you can say LT isnt considered one of the greatest pass rushers ever...

Well I know we can say he was one of the best OLBers ever to play the game. Pass Rusher is questionable. Although he does have over 120 career sacks, so he is a sack machine.

Uh, no.

If Osi could stop the run, I'd actually give him credit. There is a reason why

the opposing teams run most of their screens and run plays towards him.

OK, Im convinced now you either just want to disagree with me, or you dont like Osi. He stops the run fine, and has gotten better. :rolleyes:

Q: At some point in the next few years you are going to lose Michael Strahan for good, for ever. How are you other defensive linemen coming along? Is Osi (Umenyiora) now that kind of two-way player?

Waufle: “Osi has really improved on is his run defense. He is very consistent at it. In fact, I was showing the rookies a particular alignment today which Osi plays. He is playing really well.”

If they had this list in '86, would you be thinking that LT should be left off? I'm fine with LBs being on there, as many are great pass rushers and should be included.

Lets not forget Allen was on a contract year last year. It is a statistical fact players play harder and seemingly do better during their contract years.

And Allen will still look pretty good, if not damn good next year. Minnesota has a sick pair of tackles and a pretty good defense.

I think we're being a bit liberal with the concept "statistical fact"...

Osi is a good run defender. Much better than Jared Allen. I don't think there's any question who the better all-around player is. If Osi played as undisciplined as Allen, he'd notch 16 sacks as well.