SportsWrath

Saints GM Informs Media Shockey Pursuit is Now Over

BleedinBlue

New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis admitted Thursday he's no longer in pursuit of a deal for Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, citing the Giants' trade demands. Prior to the draft, the Giants reportedly had asked for a second-round pick and safety Roman Harper.

“It’s no secret we had some discussions with them and we just couldn’t come to a conclusion on the right compensation,” Loomis told Sirius NFL Radio. “I understand that. He's a very good player and the Giants don't want to just give him away - unless they feel like they're getting really good value.

“But for the most part that’s dead ... I don't anticipate that being rekindled.”

I have to believe the Giants never intended to let Shockey go. In fact, it might have been a ploy to remind him that this superbowl team doesn't revolve around him and he better get with the program and think "team", not "me".

A couple things lead me to that conclusion. 1) they asked an absurd amount of compensation for him (perhaps knowing no one would bite) and 2) they didn't draft a single TE and didn't go out and grab a undrafted free agent TE.....in short, they made no attempt (on the surface anyway) to make provisions in the case Shockey wasn't a Giant this coming season.

Personally, I'm happy he's staying - very happy. I just hope he grows up and listens to his coaches and does his part in helping the entire team. It would be a nice start if he would skip the bullshit pre-spring camps working out at his old college because, "the Giants just don't have the right facilities to groom such an important star as him". His routes would be crisper and his timing with Eli's passes would be much better if he trained with the team rather than acting as if Miami University is better equipped to train superstars than the NFL.

I have to believe the Giants never intended to let Shockey go. In fact, it might have been a ploy to remind him that this superbowl team doesn't revolve around him and he better get with the program and think "team", not "me".

A couple things lead me to that conclusion. 1) they asked an absurd amount of compensation for him (perhaps knowing no one would bite) and 2) they didn't draft a single TE and didn't go out and grab a undrafted free agent TE.....in short, they made no attempt (on the surface anyway) to make provisions in the case Shockey wasn't a Giant this coming season.

Personally, I'm happy he's staying - very happy. I just hope he grows up and listens to his coaches and does his part in helping the entire team. It would be a nice start if he would skip the bullshit pre-spring camps working out at his old college because, "the Giants just don't have the right facilities to groom such an important star as him". His routes would be crisper and his timing with Eli's passes would be much better if he trained with the team rather than acting as if Miami University is better equipped to train superstars than the NFL.

Based on the several players with Miami University background that also have criminal records, I wonder if that "U" is better equipped to train thugs than to train superstars.

A trade ploy? :rolleyes:

And what is with the team and not me crap? Shockey didn't step out of line once last season.

They asked Shockey to block and that is just what he did. He is doing everything the Giants are asking him to do, isn't that thinking about the team?