SportsWrath

The 2008 Mets

RandolphScott

Inconsistency- The state or quality of being inconsistent.

Inconsistency defines this team.

They've been 72 and 72 since June 1st of last year.

They haven't ripped off six straight.

They've had teammates go down....and lost all momentum

Some of you doubted them....and have yet to run them out of town

They've lost their focus....and their faith

You can knock them down (and down)....but when it mattered the most

THE PHILLIES delivered the knockout blow.

They've traveled the country....

And what did they do?....what did they do?

GET STOMPED out by opponents a couple of times.

Mental Midgets....inconsistency-Something inconsistent

They've faced this challenge before...you expect them to come out on top?

We are inconsistent...we are...we are...we are the NEW YORK METS.

No no no no no no no. All is well, its getting warmer, we are gonna make a run. We are ready to bust out of this .500 ball malaise we have been in since last year. Its all coming together. Angel Pagan is ready to lead the charge and the bats will come alive. We have faced good pitching and are .500, that a moral victory.

Dude, you are really being an ass. I never said that Pagan was some super player that was going to lead the team to the pennant. Get over it. I only mentioned Pagan as ONE of the pieces to the team that is different from last year. Fuck already. I disagree with the idea that this team is the same as last year. People keep talking about what record we are since whatever date from last year. Last year is OVER. We are 19-16 THIS YEAR and that's what matters. 19-16 isn't bad, and it's not phenomenal. We are not even 40 games into the season yet and I have to read about people freaking out that we haven't won 6 games in a row yet. Who gives a shit? The point is to try to win series. We just won 2 out of the last 3 series, and one of those was against the best team in the National League. Everyone can see that this team is playing better. Beltran and Delgado are finally hitting and this team is doing very well. It seems like unless they win 9 out of every 10 games you guys think they are dog poo. Get behind this team now or don't bother at all.

Dude, you are really being an ass. I never said that Pagan was some super player that was going to lead the team to the pennant. Get over it. I only mentioned Pagan as ONE of the pieces to the team that is different from last year. Fuck already. I disagree with the idea that this team is the same as last year. People keep talking about what record we are since whatever date from last year. Last year is OVER. We are 19-16 THIS YEAR and that's what matters. 19-16 isn't bad, and it's not phenomenal. We are not even 40 games into the season yet and I have to read about people freaking out that we haven't won 6 games in a row yet. Who gives a shit? The point is to try to win series. We just won 2 out of the last 3 series, and one of those was against the best team in the National League. Everyone can see that this team is playing better. Beltran and Delgado are finally hitting and this team is doing very well. It seems like unless they win 9 out of every 10 games you guys think they are dog poo. Get behind this team now or don't bother at all.

You have never answered my key question for the 2008 Mets? Did you happen to see what the 65 Phils and 96 Angels did, 2 teams who had collpases the year before ALMOST as bad as the Mets in 07?

Anyway, no one here is looking for 9 of 10, its unrealistic. The Mets are what they ar for almost 162 now, .500. Win a few in a row, lose a few in a row. Its what inconsistent .500 teams do, like golfingguy said in his post. I expect to hover at 5 games above and .500 for most of the year. Of course everyone will get all stoked when they win 3 in a row and get to 5 games over and everyone will get all doomed when they lose 4 in a row and go back to or near .500.

At least this year there will be no epic collapse. :TU:

You have never answered my key question for the 2008 Mets? Did you happen to see what the 65 Phils and 96 Angels did, 2 teams who had collpases the year before ALMOST as bad as the Mets in 07?

Anyway, no one here is looking for 9 of 10, its unrealistic. The Mets are what they ar for almost 162 now, .500. Win a few in a row, lose a few in a row. Its what inconsistent .500 teams do, like golfingguy said in his post. I expect to hover at 5 games above and .500 for most of the year. Of course everyone will get all stoked when they win 3 in a row and get to 5 games over and everyone will get all doomed when they lose 4 in a row and go back to or near .500.

Don't bank on that... what if the Phils and Braves play worse than us*?

*still discounting the Marlins

First, the ['64 Phils was a worse collapse than us. They were up 6 and a half with 12 games to go, and went on a 10 game losing streak. But did the '65 Phillies go out and get one of the best pitchers in baseball? No they did not. Can't say Fergie Jenkins because he was a rookie and only pitched 12.1 innings that year. Plus, the game has changed so much that nothing that happed in the 1960's in baseball can be relevant today.

As far as the 96 Angels, yes they stunk it up. But they didn't do anything to dramatically improve their team either.

The Mets did. They got Johan and they traded for Church. Those are two big acquisitions that will pay the most dividends. Couple that with the return of Sanchez and this team could be much, much better than the team that finished 1 game out of first last year. Don't you think that it's even a possibility? They are 19-16 right now, and you have given up on the team already. What happened last year does not matter anymore.

First, the ['64 Phils was a worse collapse than us. They were up 6 and a half with 12 games to go, and went on a 10 game losing streak. But did the '65 Phillies go out and get one of the best pitchers in baseball? No they did not. Can't say Fergie Jenkins because he was a rookie and only pitched 12.1 innings that year. Plus, the game has changed so much that nothing that happed in the 1960's in baseball can be relevant today.

As far as the 96 Angels, yes they stunk it up. But they didn't do anything to dramatically improve their team either.

The Mets did. They got Johan and they traded for Church. Those are two big acquisitions that will pay the most dividends. Couple that with the return of Sanchez and this team could be much, much better than the team that finished 1 game out of first last year. Don't you think that it's even a possibility? They are 19-16 right now, and you have given up on the team already. What happened last year does not matter anymore.

I have not given up, I said back in Feb they will be an 84-78 team. No doubt Santana is an upgrade, but can I see Church do better than his career .265 for an entire year before I declare him any kind of savior.

I have not given up, I said back in Feb they will be an 84-78 team. No doubt Santana is an upgrade, but can I see Church do better than his career .265 for an entire year before I declare him any kind of savior.

He's doing it though! Church is a player who hasn't had the time to fully develop... it's reasonable that this year could be his breakout season! :) It's getting to the point where very soon we can't say it's because of a small sample size! He's leading the team in homeruns and 2nd in RBIs, and that is exactly what this team needed because Delgado couldn't do that for us last year. I have to say that I'm very encouraged.

He's doing it though! Church is a player who hasn't had the time to fully develop... it's reasonable that this year could be his breakout season! :) It's getting to the point where very soon we can't say it's because of a small sample size! He's leading the team in homeruns and 2nd in RBIs, and that is exactly what this team needed because Delgado couldn't do that for us last year. I have to say that I'm very encouraged.

Are the glasses orange or blue colored, possibly black on weekends and special games?

I hear ya, Church looks like a player, but I need to see more, just like I need to see more that Delgado is not at the least a guy that can give 25/85

Are the glasses orange or blue colored, possibly black on weekends and special games?

I hear ya, Church looks like a player, but I need to see more, just like I need to see more that Delgado is not at the least a guy that can give 25/85

Orange AND Blue, xxi! All the way!

Looks like I'm right again.

Right and realistic. ALl this talk about a dominating homestand and getting going and here they are 2-2 through 7 games. I would say they will probably go 4-3, is that acceptable?

I think its time to face the facts. 148 games now, 74 up 74 down. Its no longer a stretch, it is what it is as our brai err fearless manager says, mediocre!

Right and realistic. ALl this talk about a dominating homestand and getting going and here they are 2-2 through 7 games. I would say they will probably go 4-3, is that acceptable?

I think its time to face the facts. 148 games now, 74 up 74 down. Its no longer a stretch, it is what it is as our brai err fearless manager says, mediocre!

Don't worry, the champagne will taste sweeter.

Here comes 14 straight.

The umps ripped him off at Yankee Stadium, so you have to lower your standards to 24/83.

It's only fair.