SportsWrath

Mets vs. Pirates Gameday Thread

RandolphScott

The Mets (13-11) begin a rain-shorten two-game series versus the Pirates (10-15) this evening at Shea Stadium, game at 7:10 pm EST.

The Lineup:

* SS Jose Reyes

* 2B Luis Castillo

* 3B David Wright

* CF Carlos Beltran

* RF Ryan Church

* 1B Carlos Delgado

* C Raul Casanova

* LF Endy Chavez

* P Johan Santana

The Pitchers:

LHP Johan Santana (3-2, 3.12 ERA) starts for the Mets. Santana earned a win in in his last on April 23 versus the Nationals, pitching seven strong innings, allowing two runs on seven hits, while striking out four and walking one. Opposing batters are 27-for-129 (.209) versus Santana this season. In two career games, one starts versus the Pirates, Santana is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA.

RHP Ian Snell (2-1, 4.45 ERA) takes the hill for the Pirates. In his last start on April 23 versus the Cardinals, Snell earned a no-decision, allowing four runs on eight hits while walking four and striking out one over six innings pitched. The Pirates are 4-1 when Snell starts this season. Snell is 0-1 with a 6.11 ERA in four appearances, three starts in his career versus the Mets.

The Notes:

Jason Bay is batting .343 (23-for-67) with 6 HR, 5 2B and 23 RBI in his last 17 games versus the Mets. He has 1-for-3 in his career versus Santana.

Carlos Delgado is batting .286 with 2 HR and 3 RBI during the Mets current homestand.

David Wright is 19-for-59 (.322) with 3 HR, 6 2B, 1 3B and 14 RBI in his last 16 games.

The Mets are 5-9 versus right-handed starting pitchers this season.

Not a pretty win tonight, but the Mets found a win despite struggling, and I think that is a very important thing to do. Sosa had a pretty good inning tonight. Heilman another mini-implosion before Schoenweis came in and rescued him. I can't believe I just typed that. Talk about a role-reversal from last year. And I liked seeing Duaner in the 8th inning of a tight game tonight. He got himself into trouble, but limited the damage to 1 run. After the way he's been pitching, he was due for a bad outing. I'm glad it came on a night where the Mets were still able to win the game. The Mets have now won 3 in a row again. It's nice when they can put together these little streaks. Not nice when the streaks are going the other way.