SportsWrath

Why the Cowboys are dumb...

Allstarjim

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

"I just spent several minutes talking by phone with a man who spent his day in the Cowboys' draft room. He said there was some serious debate on whether to choose Felix Jones or Rashard Mendenhall. In the end, scouts thought that Mendenhall was too much like Mario Barber."

Ok, first of all it's Marion Barber. But my point is this... SO WHAT! That should be an endorsement. No, we don't want Mendenhall because he's too much like our Pro Bowl running back. WHAT?! I would take two Marion Barber's any day! To me, if you think Mendenhall is the better PLAYER, that is where you should go. I think the Cowboys took a misstep here, good for us, bad for them. Although I don't think Felix Jones is necessarily chopped liver, I think Mendenhall could be a GREAT back. Then the Cowpokes took a receiving TE in the 2nd who is not a good blocker whatsoever. You know, 'cause that was a big need.

Go Giants.

Let's not forget that some people called "us' crazy for trading all those picks for Eli. Osi wasn't touted by ANY ESPN 'draft analysist' and who the heck is Amhad Bradshaw????

These so called 'experts' don't know how the heck ANY draftee will pan out. I've never taken any of their points seriously!

Let's not forget that some people called "us' crazy for trading all those picks for Eli. Osi wasn't touted by ANY ESPN 'draft analysist' and who the heck is Amhad Bradshaw????

These so called 'experts' don't know how the heck ANY draftee will pan out. I've never taken any of their points seriously!

which is why i think watching the draft and getting excited or upset is ridiculous. Nobody knows if your team did right until 3-4 years down the road.

What you guys are saying is cool, just that the Cowboys reasoning is dumb. If you think that Mendenhall is too much like your player who just went to the Pro Bowl, then you probably should take that player. Marion Barber is a fantastic running back. If I had a chance to get another guy just like him where I knew if he got hurt, I wouldn't miss a beat, that's my pick. It might not work out that way, but the reasoning is what I find comical.

which is why i think watching the draft and getting excited or upset is ridiculous. Nobody knows if your team did right until 3-4 years down the road.

I was reading an article the other day about "draft busts" (did you know that about half of the players picked in the first 10 picks of round 1 never become any better than average players and half of those are complete busts, but I'm getting off track).

The article stated that you will know what kind of player you have picked after three years in the NFL. If they haven't come up to NFL speed in three years it's time to dump them....either cut them altogether or try to trade them

The exception to the rule is "running backs" and "quarterbacks". They said you will know what kind of running back you have after only 1 year (compare 1st pick Ron Dayne to last pick Ahmad Bradshaw). And you will know if your quarterback will pan out in 4 to 6 years. All other positions will take 3 years.....(hint: time to step up this Sinorice)

To me....it just tells me what a friggin steal we got last year in Bradshaw. He almost went undrafted and has already proven his heart (and talent) is 10 times the size of Dayne's and he's a little powerhouse that will bring back memories of Joe Morris and perhaps Dave Meggett (one of my favorite Giants of all time)

By the way....the cowboys suck! I hope all their draft picks become busts!