SportsWrath

Mets vs. Nats

mws44

...posted by Mike Nichols...

The Game:

The Mets (5-6) continue their homestand with a three-game series against the Nationals (4-9) this evening at Shea Stadium, starting at 7:10 pm EST.

The Lineup:

SS Jose Reyes

RF Ryan Church

3B David Wright

CF Carlos Beltran

1B Carlos Delgado

LF Angel Pagan

C Brian Schneider

2B Luis Castillo

P Mike Pelfrey

…wow, luis to the eight hole…perhaps this is Willie Randolph sending an early season message to castillo…however, i would rather see pagan batting second than church…

The Pitchers:

RHP Mike Pelfrey (1-0, 3.60 ERA) makes his second start of the season for the Mets. In his season debut for the Mets, Pelfrey earned a win against the Phillies, allowing two runs on five hits while walking two and striking out three. In four career starts against the Nationals, Pelfey is 1-1 with a 5.64 ERA.

LHP Odalis Perez (0-2, 4.91 ERA) takes the hill for the Nationals. Perez earned a loss in his last start against the Marlins on ?, allowing two runs on six hits with six strikeouts. In 16 career appearances, nine starts, against the Mets, Perez is 4-5 with a 4.02 ERA.

…big pelf was sensational in his season debut…he seemed more aggressive with both his fastball and slider, with some credit going Brian Schneider’s way, as he has been calling games aggressively this season…we have seen glimpses of pelfrey’s ability in the past and it all comes down to confidence with him, which his last start should provide him more of…let’s go big pelf…

The Notes:

The Nationals are batting .193 (29-for-150) in their last five games.

Luis Castillo is batting .409 (9-for-22) with a homerun and a triple against Perez in his career.

The Mets are batting .330 versus left-handed pitching this season.

Link

WOW. Castillo to the 8 Hole. I'm proud of Willie.

Best play of the year for Delgado getting hit by that pitch.

Couple of thoughts... While I am very pleased to see Willie drop Castillo in the order, it's curious to me how he did it this game. Castillo is batting over .400 against Odalis Perez in his career, and Church, who typically doesn't bat well versus lefties, gets moved up to the 2 hole. Methinks Pagan would've been a better fit there for this game. Maybe Willie was thinking we get into their bullpen early this game, however. Still glad to see that Castillo is down there at the bottom.

Thanks dude....I was in Delaware for my conference championship.

No problem man. How'd ya do?

Couple of thoughts... While I am very pleased to see Willie drop Castillo in the order, it's curious to me how he did it this game. Castillo is batting over .400 against Odalis Perez in his career, and Church, who typically doesn't bat well versus lefties, gets moved up to the 2 hole. Methinks Pagan would've been a better fit there for this game. Maybe Willie was thinking we get into their bullpen early this game, however. Still glad to see that Castillo is down there at the bottom.

I agree that Pagan should have been in the 2 spot. The guys in the booth thought it might have been to break up the lefties at the bottom of the order. Pagan is a better fit at the top of the order right now. He has a hot bat and speed.

Pelfrey was fantastic tonight.

A satisfying game to watch. Nice to see Jose's bat start to wake up. Wright had a fantastic game. That last RBI double he had was such a fantastic AB. Just spoiled all the "pitchers" pitches until he finally got a hitters' pitch and he creamed it.

Pelfrey did a great job, and to top it all off, Duaner came in and looked good. Would've liked to have seen that fastball up in the 90's again, but we may have to wait for that. Hopefully he will get that back. Regardless, he kept his pitches down and had good command, and it was just fantastic to see him back on the mound again. Happy times are here again.

A satisfying game to watch. Nice to see Jose's bat start to wake up. Wright had a fantastic game. That last RBI double he had was such a fantastic AB. Just spoiled all the "pitchers" pitches until he finally got a hitters' pitch and he creamed it.

Pelfrey did a great job, and to top it all off, Duaner came in and looked good. Would've liked to have seen that fastball up in the 90's again, but we may have to wait for that. Hopefully he will get that back. Regardless, he kept his pitches down and had good command, and it was just fantastic to see him back on the mound again. Happy times are here again.

Why didn't Shea boo him when he gave up his one hit, like they do when Heilman pitches a scoreless inning. :rolleyes:

Man, I missed one hell of a game. I caught some of the game on Mets fast-forward this morning, and It really looked like a great game. Wright with 5 RBIs, Reyes finally doing better, Pelfrey looking like a new man...This could be a sign of good things to come.

Oh, and.....SANCHEZ!!!!!