SportsWrath

Mets (5-4) vs Brewers (6-4) 1:10 PM

RandolphScott

Game Preview

Mets fans have heard about Johan Santana. They've heard about his bullpen and batting practice sessions, his exhibition games and his Major League starts. They've heard about his changeup, just as they've heard about his fastball and his slider. They've heard about the strikeouts; they've heard about the wins.

Now, and only now -- after months of speculation -- can they see him in person, at the place he's committed to call home for the next six years.

Santana will make his Shea Stadium debut on Saturday afternoon against the Brewers, after taking his first two rotation turns on the road. For the left-hander, it's a homecoming that both he and the Mets have awaited ever since his acquisition this past winter.

"Anytime he takes the ball, he's going to be ready to pitch," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "He's always prepared, and I'm sure he'll be pretty pumped up to show the home folks what he's got, up close and personal. You're always confident when you give him the ball, he'll go out and keep us in the ballgame. We'll see. I'm looking forward to it."

Santana will oppose Milwaukee's ace, right-hander Ben Sheets, in the Saturday matinee. Those two have combined for a 0.92 ERA in four starts so far this season.

The Mets have won three in a row -- including a series-opening win on Friday night -- after starting the season 2-4. The Brewers, meanwhile, have lost three straight games.

Pitching matchup

NYM: LHP Johan Santana (1-1, 1.93 ERA)

Santana's overall line was better in his second start than it was in his first -- he allowed one run in seven innings, instead of two runs in his debut -- but he took the loss. Given his team's offensive reputation, a similar effort in his Shea Stadium debut should do just fine. Over his first two starts combined, Santana has fanned 11 batters and walked just two. He holds a lifetime 3-1 record and 3.32 ERA against the Brewers.

MIL: RHP Ben Sheets (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

Two starts into the season, Sheets has again established himself as one of the game's premier pitchers. He threw a complete-game shutout last Sunday against the Giants, allowing five hits and striking out eight. Though he beat the Mets once last year, pitching six effective innings at Shea, he still holds just a 5.45 career mark against them.

Tidbits

Reliever Duaner Sanchez pitched one scoreless inning with Triple-A New Orleans on Friday night, walking one batter and throwing 12 pitches. He is scheduled to throw again on Saturday, and could potentially join the club by early next week. ... Second baseman Luis Castillo, due back from injury on Saturday, holds a .438 career average in 16 at-bats against Sheets. ... With two hits on Friday, Angel Pagan upped his average to .387.

Linkage

The only thing a Met fan should feel entitled to is countless disappointments and utter shitiness. <_<

Typical Long Island Met fans booing the guy after one start, but I must say, I did find myself asking "This guy is the best pitcher in baseball?". :mellow:

This team is just not that good and I am starting to suspect something I long feared all off season, a 2007 collapse hangover, sort of the opposite of a WS hangover whereby the team is so shellshocked and tight they are playing poorly. :ph34r:

The only thing a Met fan should feel entitled to is countless disappointments and utter shitiness. <_<

Typical Long Island Met fans booing the guy after one start, but I must say, I did find myself asking "This guy is the best pitcher in baseball?". :mellow:

This team is just not that good and I am starting to suspect something I long feared all off season, a 2007 collapse hangover, sort of the opposite of a WS hangover whereby the team is so shellshocked and tight they are playing poorly. :ph34r:

I thought it was a little ridiculous some of the hype he was getting. He gave up the most homers in the AL last year.

Santana is still the least of my worries. The fact that it'll take us 4 hits to get a run or 2 home is what I'm worreid about.

I thought it was a little ridiculous some of the hype he was getting. He gave up the most homers in the AL last year.

Santana is still the least of my worries. The fact that it'll take us 4 hits to get a run or 2 home is what I'm worreid about.

Bingo. This team is not hitting the ball with authority. Their approach at the plate seems to be too complacent most of the time. Sometimes you have to be aggressive. At least Wright went deep today. They need to have some players beyond Wright that is a long-ball threat. Beltran has gone deep (but it was called a double), and Delgado hit one off of Moyer, which really didn't impress me. I will be impressed when he turns around on an 90 mph plus fastball and put it over the wall. Most of my frustration I save for Castillo. His at bats annoy me to no end. He just slaps the ball on the ground and then gets thrown out at first. For the life of me, why did we give him a 4 year deal?

*EDIT* Just looked up Castillo's stats. So far he is batting .160 on the year with 4 hits, no extra base hits, 1 RBI and an OBP of .276. Now if this keeps up to the allstar break, what, oh Willie, will you do? The Gotay waiving looms larger. And will you continue to bat him 2nd in the order? I think whoever is playing left field, be it Pagan, Alou, or Endy Chavez, should be batting 2nd. Castillo is a disaster with the bat.

Pagan has to be our regular #2 hitter over Castillo. He's given great ABs which Castillo has not done.

I'm afraid the only way for our offense to get back to top form next year is to overpay Mark Teixera.