SportsWrath

Interesting stat.

fishgutmartyr

Tiki's stats:

rushing: 1662, ypc: 5.1, 327 rushing attempts, receiving: 465 yds, Avg. 8.0

2007 (Jacobs/Ward):

rushing: 1611, ypc: 4.92, 327 rushing attempts, receiving: 353 yds, Avg. 7.2

In that whole, stupid Tiki thread, this came up, and I thought it interesting enough to put on it's own. Why it's important is that Gilbride matched the starting RBs carries exactly to Tiki's last year.

Remember that the majority of Ward's carries came in the games that Jacobs was out. As I interpret it, that would mean that rather than mix the running styles during the course of the games, Gilbride has been using the starting running back most of the season as if he had a premier back offense. Which, in my opinion, is wasteful.

Prior to the buffalo game Ahmad Bradshaw had 6 carries. In Buffalo and Tampa, he had 17 rushes each. Is it a coincidence that during the offensive rejuvenation we're experiencing at the moment includes (in games Bradshaw was available) rushing to the tune of 38 rushes Jacobs/34 rushes Bradshaw?

I realize that Manning's play has also improved the last two games, but you have to wonder if one isn't feeding off of the other.

I'm asking if a similar ratio throughout the regular season, with either Bradshaw or Ward filling in with Jacobs, would have spared us a lot of grief during the course of the season?

Discuss.

Tiki's stats:

2007 (Jacobs/Ward):

In that whole, stupid Tiki thread, this came up, and I thought it interesting enough to put on it's own. Why it's important is that Gilbride matched the starting RBs carries exactly to Tiki's last year.

Remember that the majority of Ward's carries came in the games that Jacobs was out. As I interpret it, that would mean that rather than mix the running styles during the course of the games, Gilbride has been using the starting running back most of the season as if he had a premier back offense. Which, in my opinion, is wasteful.

Prior to the buffalo game Ahmad Bradshaw had 6 carries. In Buffalo and Tampa, he had 17 rushes each. Is it a coincidence that during the offensive rejuvenation we're experiencing at the moment includes (in games Bradshaw was available) rushing to the tune of 38 rushes Jacobs/34 rushes Bradshaw?

I realize that Manning's play has also improved the last two games, but you have to wonder if one isn't feeding off of the other.

I'm asking if a similar ratio throughout the regular season, with either Bradshaw or Ward filling in with Jacobs, would have spared us a lot of grief during the course of the season?

Discuss.

What grief do you mean? I think the run game has carried this team in situations where Eli was faltering. But that ratio would and will save us a lot of grief because they are good enough to carry a team. I honestly want Bradshaw over Ward, no disrespect to Ward.

What grief do you mean? I think the run game has carried this team in situations where Eli was faltering. But that ratio would and will save us a lot of grief because they are good enough to carry a team. I honestly want Bradshaw over Ward, no disrespect to Ward.

Both running backs stay relatively fresh during the course of the game. Fatigue doesn't set in as drastically as it would if you were running in the upper 20's every game, so there is a reduction in the chance of injury.

You're also not allowing the defense to get a fix on your running style. If they start compensating for one style (quick, elusive), then you switch to the other (power).

It just makes sense to me, and it doesn't look like that's what Gilbride was doing for most of the season.

Tiki's stats:

2007 (Jacobs/Ward):

Discuss.

i am very surprised at the receiving numbers. i thought there would be a more drastic drop off in production.

good post, fishgutmartyr.

i am very surprised at the receiving numbers. i thought there would be a more drastic drop off in production.

good post, fishgutmartyr.

And BJ had all of thos dropped passes too, so the #'s could be more even than that really.