SportsWrath

Giant Sleepers

Lughead

Giant Sleepers

By Hazem Kiswani | June 28th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

29746752.jpg Bradshaw - Howard Schnapp

Giants fans have spent the off-season hearing about the big names and big stories. Will Shockey and Burress make more of a commitment to the off-season programs with their team? How smoothly is Mathias Kiwanuka's switch to the linebacker position going? Will Eli Manning make his critics eat their words this season? How about Brandon Jacobs - how will he do taking over for the retired Tiki Barber?

But what about the under the radar guys, the players fighting to show that they can make an impact on this team and trying to grab a roster spot by September? Here's a look at a few Giant prospects that I think can make the team and help the Giants win games in '07:

WR Steve Smith

- Smith will certainly make the team as a second-round draft pick and his impact on this team will likely be the greatest of any member of the Giants draft class this season. Smith is a precise route-runner with deceptive speed and very reliable hands. Playing behind Burress and Toomer, Smith will be able to get in 1 on 1 situations and give Eli Manning another reliable target behind the starters, something he didn't have last season after Toomer went down. Look for Smith to really help the Giants passing game become more consistent and provide more conversions on 3rd and 6, 3rd and 7 types of situations.

CB E.J Underwood

- Underwood was a favorite of Giants coaches last off-season and they were really disappointed to see him go down before the season. He has been noticed again early this off-season learning and taking into account everything he hears from the coaching staff, and showing some impressive physical ability. I see Underwood making the team as the 4th corner and having a chance to move up the depth chart as the season goes on.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw

- Bradshaw has had a nice buzz around him since OTA's and he's another guy that seems to have caught the eye of the coaching staff. He has good hands, good speed, and can provide the Giants with that quick, shifty back they need to compliment their mammoth in Brandon Jacobs. He's also expected to make a run at the kick return job, so keep an eye on Mr.Bradshaw this pre-season.

TE Kevin Boss

- Now don't look for huge games from Kevin Boss playing the 2nd TE spot this season behind All-NFL TE Jeremy Shockey, but what he does provide the Giants with is another big (6′6, 255 lbs.), athletic target with soft hands. Look for Boss to be in on a lot of redzone/goal line situations and to score some touchdowns with the attention on Burress, Shockey, and Jacobs within the opponents 20 yard line.

You can also expect a bounce-back year from WR Sinorice Moss who should be healthier and see the ball more often this season, as well as hopefully making an impact on the return game.

It looks like Moss is going to have to really fight for playing time. Smith at 3rd WR and Bradshaw on returns leaves Moss with limited playing time. I hope Underwood stays healthy because the Giants need all the help they can get in the secondary.

It looks like Moss is going to have to really fight for playing time. Smith at 3rd WR and Bradshaw on returns leaves Moss with limited playing time. I hope Underwood stays healthy because the Giants need all the help they can get in the secondary.

I think Bradshaw would be a KR while Moss would be the best bet for PR. I really want to see Moss play, he's so explosive he can be a huge addition in the short passing game.

I think Bradshaw would be a KR while Moss would be the best bet for PR. I really want to see Moss play, he's so explosive he can be a huge addition in the short passing game.

Well hopefully he does more than just PR (which Ross will compete for) and I am getting a little worried about Moss. There never seems to be anything about him in Giants news articles.