SportsWrath

Apology to the Admiral...

The Padres have the best bullpen in the National League.

But I still maintain the Mets 1 through 5 starters are better than the Pads 1 through 5 starters.

Mets just got swept by the Phillies at home, thanks to a lack of hitting and a bullpen that inherited a lead or a tie (game 1 they inherited a 2-2 tie) every game of the series and blew it.

The numbers in the series for the bullpen:

10 IP 15H 10R 10ER 7BB 9K 3HR 9.00 ERA

They actually pitched pretty well in game 1, holding the Phils scoreless for 3 innings until the 11th, when Feliciano couldn't get an out.

The starters (Glavine, El Duque, and Maine) were brilliant:

20 IP 17H 4R 4ER 5BB 9K 0HR 1.80 ERA

They did everything they could in all three games to make winners out of the Mets, and the bullpen and the hitters let them down.

I don't understand why Willie took out a dominant and still sharp El Duque in game 2 after 6 innings, who were baffling the Phils with his array of pitches, only allowing 3 hits, although he did walk 4. Still, he didn't allow a run to score and was still very sharp through the 6th. Willie yanks him, and IMMEDIATELY Heilman blows the game.

I know Willie is trying to conserve his starters, especially El Duque, for the postseason, but for crying out loud, let him at least get through the 7th and see how he's doing, because that game was so deflating. Then last night, Wagner blows the save giving up the homerun to Burrell in the 9th, tying the game. What's worse, is that when we didn't score in the bottom of the ninth, and the announcer said Schoenweis was coming in to pitch the 10th, I said to myself, "GAME OVER." I have ZERO confidence in Schoenweis to have a scoreless inning, or to hold a lead or tie AT ALL. And once again, Schoenweis f's it up. His ERA is now OVER 7! It's a traveshammockery that he has a spot on the team and Burgos, who pitched relatively well, was optioned. Shoenweis hasn't pitched well to leftys OR rightys, and usually walks the leadoff batter.

SO, Admiral Awesome, I apologize for my arrogance and blind faith in the Mets bullpen. The Pads 'pen is definitely superior and probably the best in all of MLB. And while Peavy and Young maybe the best 2 pitchers in the NL, I still say the staff of El Duque, Glavine, Perez, Maine, and Sosa are the best collection of 5 in the NL, though. I give props to the Pads though, they are a great team who I expect to be in the playoffs.

The Padres have the best bullpen in the National League.

But I still maintain the Mets 1 through 5 starters are better than the Pads 1 through 5 starters.

Mets just got swept by the Phillies at home, thanks to a lack of hitting and a bullpen that inherited a lead or a tie (game 1 they inherited a 2-2 tie) every game of the series and blew it.

The numbers in the series for the bullpen:

10 IP 15H 10R 10ER 7BB 9K 3HR 9.00 ERA

They actually pitched pretty well in game 1, holding the Phils scoreless for 3 innings until the 11th, when Feliciano couldn't get an out.

The starters (Glavine, El Duque, and Maine) were brilliant:

20 IP 17H 4R 4ER 5BB 9K 0HR 1.80 ERA

They did everything they could in all three games to make winners out of the Mets, and the bullpen and the hitters let them down.

I don't understand why Willie took out a dominant and still sharp El Duque in game 2 after 6 innings, who were baffling the Phils with his array of pitches, only allowing 3 hits, although he did walk 4. Still, he didn't allow a run to score and was still very sharp through the 6th. Willie yanks him, and IMMEDIATELY Heilman blows the game.

I know Willie is trying to conserve his starters, especially El Duque, for the postseason, but for crying out loud, let him at least get through the 7th and see how he's doing, because that game was so deflating. Then last night, Wagner blows the save giving up the homerun to Burrell in the 9th, tying the game. What's worse, is that when we didn't score in the bottom of the ninth, and the announcer said Schoenweis was coming in to pitch the 10th, I said to myself, "GAME OVER." I have ZERO confidence in Schoenweis to have a scoreless inning, or to hold a lead or tie AT ALL. And once again, Schoenweis f's it up. His ERA is now OVER 7! It's a traveshammockery that he has a spot on the team and Burgos, who pitched relatively well, was optioned. Shoenweis hasn't pitched well to leftys OR rightys, and usually walks the leadoff batter.

SO, Admiral Awesome, I apologize for my arrogance and blind faith in the Mets bullpen. The Pads 'pen is definitely superior and probably the best in all of MLB. And while Peavy and Young maybe the best 2 pitchers in the NL, I still say the staff of El Duque, Glavine, Perez, Maine, and Sosa are the best collection of 5 in the NL, though. I give props to the Pads though, they are a great team who I expect to be in the playoffs.

don't let it happen again :P

but seriously, i dont know what's up with schoenweiss. he was great prior to this season and looked to be a solid under the radar signing by omar. while i think burgos needs a bit of help with his control--the best remedy, IMO, is to have him up in the majors and working with rick peterson.

all bullpens have bad spurts and i expect the mets' bullpen to go back to normal, but i chalk up their recent struggles to injuries to their lineup. once everyone is healthy and hitting again i don't see how they won't take off and leave the rest of the NL east in the dust. yeah the phillies and braves have pretty damned good teams but the mets are on another level.

i still disagree about the starting rotation cuz i think the wildcard here is germano (if you get to include to include sosa). he's still going strong and i know bud black will make the right decision when hensley is healthy and keep germano in the 5th spot

but seriously, i dont know what's up with schoenweiss. he was great prior to this season and looked to be a solid under the radar signing by omar. while i think burgos needs a bit of help with his control--the best remedy, IMO, is to have him up in the majors and working with rick peterson.

all bullpens have bad spurts and i expect the mets' bullpen to go back to normal, but i chalk up their recent struggles to injuries to their lineup. once everyone is healthy and hitting again i don't see how they won't take off and leave the rest of the NL east in the dust. yeah the phillies and braves have pretty damned good teams but the mets are on another level.

i still disagree about the starting rotation cuz i think the wildcard here is germano (if you get to include to include sosa). he's still going strong and i know bud black will make the right decision when hensley is healthy and keep germano in the 5th spot

Well like we said before we agree to disagree. At least the Pads pen are holding leads for their starters.

He has a severed tendon somewhere in his leg. I don't know how much of a factor it is, but it HAS to affect him. How in the world did we sign this guy knowing he has an injury like this? I'm no doctor, but a SEVERED tendon has to be a major injury, doesn't it?