SportsWrath

My philosophy for this year

Lubeck

I don't give a fuck.

Ok that isn't exactly right but let me try and explain. TC is the coach. TC is a stubborn old Irish catholic cut from the same mold as ole' Mara. He ain't changing his ways. His ways do not work in todays NFL. So I do not expect anything from this team and would be downright surprised if they even split their games 50/50.

Because of my extremely low expectations for this season I just don't care about a lot of things I normally would. No kicker? Meh who cares. No established depth or even starting talent at countless positions? Again meh who cares.

The way I see it we have a lot of unproven talent that needs a chance on the field to show waht they can do. Kiwi as a LB, Ross as a CB, Moss and Smith as WRs, Eli who is a perennial question mark, whoever fills in at LT....and that is just the most obvious ones that jump to my mind. This season to me is about checking out these young players and seeing who can be a playmaker.

And the funny thing is I swear the front office has the same opinon about this team. I am sure that is why they really did not try too hard to upgrade this team and instead focused on getting rid of old dead weight and bringing in only young talent.

In the end I think the FO wants to put these guys through a season and see what they can do, ditch TC at the end of this upcoming season, and start fresh for the 2008 season.

Of course now the team will outperform anyones expectations and TC lives to coach again....I just do not see that happening though.

I don't give a fuck.

Ok that isn't exactly right but let me try and explain. TC is the coach. TC is a stubborn old Irish catholic cut from the same mold as ole' Mara. He ain't changing his ways. His ways do not work in todays NFL. So I do not expect anything from this team and would be downright surprised if they even split their games 50/50.

Because of my extremely low expectations for this season I just don't care about a lot of things I normally would. No kicker? Meh who cares. No established depth or even starting talent at countless positions? Again meh who cares.

The way I see it we have a lot of unproven talent that needs a chance on the field to show waht they can do. Kiwi as a LB, Ross as a CB, Moss and Smith as WRs, Eli who is a perennial question mark, whoever fills in at LT....and that is just the most obvious ones that jump to my mind. This season to me is about checking out these young players and seeing who can be a playmaker.

And the funny thing is I swear the front office has the same opinon about this team. I am sure that is why they really did not try too hard to upgrade this team and instead focused on getting rid of old dead weight and bringing in only young talent.

In the end I think the FO wants to put these guys through a season and see what they can do, ditch TC at the end of this upcoming season, and start fresh for the 2008 season.

Of course now the team will outperform anyones expectations and TC lives to coach again....I just do not see that happening though.

Funny you say that cause that's what I'm doing.

I don't give a fuck.

To be fair, he did fire both of his coordinators, which would seemingly belie the notion that he refuses to change. And I'm not sure that you could reasonably conclude that his methods don't work. After all, we have made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, including winning the NFC East two years ago. The results aren't great, but they are good enough to indicate that Coughlin's methodoloy isn't antiquated.

I agree that the front office -- Reese specifically -- seems to view this year as a transitional season, but I think you underrated the amount of talent/depth we have under contract. Assuming we are moderately healthy, I think we'll definitely be in the mix for playoff contention. And if Eli steps up, all bets are off...

To be fair, he did fire both of his coordinators, which would seemingly belie the notion that he refuses to change. And I'm not sure that you could reasonably conclude that his methods don't work. After all, we have made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, including winning the NFC East two years ago. The results aren't great, but they are good enough to indicate that Coughlin's methodoloy isn't antiquated.

I agree that the front office -- Reese specifically -- seems to view this year as a transitional season, but I think you underrated the amount of talent/depth we have under contract. Assuming we are moderately healthy, I think we'll definitely be in the mix for playoff contention. And if Eli steps up, all bets are off...

He fired Hufnagel as an attempt to salvage his career...there was one game left in the season. That is a sign of desperation not a sign of a committment to change.

Lewis was canned AFTER Coughlin met with the FO about his job security....I'm going to assume the FO told him to can Lewis.

Personally I think we made it to the playoffs despite Coughlins interference. Tiki carried this team a lot of the time. I do not think the results are indicitive of TCs influence.

I am not underrating the talent, but the cold hard truth is a lot of the talent is unproven. The only players I can say are proven would be:

Strahan (who is getting up there in age)

Robbins (and it was only one really good year)

Toomer (who is coming off of knee surgery at the age of 32...going to be 33 for the season)

Shockey (he is the Shockster which guaruntees some impactful injury that he will play through but will limit his production)

Burress (I only list him because he is our #1...headcase but hopefully his showing up to minicamps and nonmandatory workouts shows a renewed committment and he won't Randy Moss on some plays)

The Oline Minus whoever plays LT (and I would only rate them as above average but not THAT above...too much pressure on Eli)

Pierce (first guy I have nothing bad to say about)

Feagles (clutch)

The way I see it even some of those proven guys have stuff to prove...I really should not have listed Burress, Robbins, or the Oline but they all have shown they can get the job done they have just lacked consistency.

That leaves a lot of unproven talent. Don't get me wrong I think the talent we have is really good and I am excited about our rookies specifically Smith, DeOssie, and Bradshaw. The thing I am looking forward too the most is our new D with a more aggressive coordinator and I think a lot of our defensive talent will step up and show that they were being misused under Lewis. But that is something that I need to see before I can say "Yep they have 'it'"

Our O line is proven and not that bad, 1500 yard back and a backup with 400+/ Over 4.5 yards/carry and the QB only sacked 25 times. Diehl is unproven as a LT no doubt, but the line aside from that left to right with Suebert, O'Hara, Snee and McKeenzie is better than average. If Diehl does what he has done at all the positions he has played, just play dependable solid everydown football, I see no problems in the transition. Everyone wanted Staley, but according to some a Staley like player(smaller school big potential upside) is already on the roster in Guy Whimper, so who knows? I am very intrigued by Koets, whom Si.com rated as one of their top 10 draft steals. I know most experts(Kiper)killed us for not taking STaley, but many feel that Whimper is in the same mold.

As for the defense, if they stay healthy Osi and Strahan are as good or better than any in the league. If you buy into the Spagnolu Jim Johnson idea for a defense then we have some good rotational depth at DT with Robbins, Coefield, Bell, Alford and Joseph. Kiwi at LB cannot be any worse than what Emmons was last year.

I am a bit worried about the secondary, but hope that a healthier DE tandem and a more attacking style from the front 7 will mask some of the issues that that secondary might have.

I am sorry, in todays NFL I cannot be doom and gloom.

I can't say I don't give a fuck. I'm setting lower expectations because I'm wiser now (ain't we all). I'm not having migrane headaches because I stress this shit too much. I agree today's NFL and TC are no match. I'm getting used to the idea of not having to win now. It seems like we're putting peices together though.