SportsWrath

Giants save three

Lughead

ny-giants.jpg

Giants Retain Wilson, Ward and Torbor

Posted Apr 20th 2007 8:18PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, New York, NFL Free Agency

gibril-wilson-245.jpgAs of noon Eastern Time today, the deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets had passed. Safety Gibril Wilson, running back Derrick Ward and linebacker Reggie Torbor were the remaining restricted free agents on the Giants and none were signed to an offer sheet elsewhere. Because of that, they will all remains in New York for at least one more year.

The Giants would have been hurting in a bad way had Wilson signed elsewhere. Despite the knocks against him last year, he still finished with 100 tackles, two interceptions and eight passes defended. While he may have had a down year, he is still an above average safety and a heavy hitter.

Torbor could eventually become some trade bait but is currently considered a valuable backup. I, personally, have always been a fan of Torbor. I think he plays with great desire and has the tools to be a very good linebacker. If the Giants fail to add more than one linebacker from now until the start of the season, he'll get a legitimate chance to prove himself next year.

Finally, Ward may be on his way out of town one way or another. With the addition of Reuben Droughns and the possibility of the Giants drafting another running back, he may end up the odd man out. That's not to say he won't get a fair shot. He'll most certainly have the chance to win the third roster spot during the offseason and into the preseason.

Why didn't the Giants just re sign Wilson? I'm not 100 % sure on how RFA works.

to save cap money is my guess if some one wanted him and made an offer we could do the vonta leech thing that the texans did to us