SportsWrath

it makes sence

Lughead

Giants trade for Droughnsl

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, March 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

amd_droughnsjets.jpg The Giants traded for Cleveland running back Reuben Droughns.

After a week of searching, Jerry Reese finally found a running back.

The Giants' new GM acquired Reuben Droughns from the Cleveland Browns yesterday in exchange for oft-injured receiver Tim Carter - a deal that will be official once both players pass physicals in the next few days. It's the first move by the Giants since the free-agent market opened eight days ago.

"I realize the perception is that we haven't done anything through the first week of free agency because we haven't signed any unrestricted free agents," Reese said in a statement. "The opposite is true. We have been working very hard to do what's best for this franchise."

Getting the 28-year-old Droughns was the big first step. He figures to get about 10-15 carries per game next season, splitting time in the backfield with Brandon Jacobs. Droughns is only 5-11 and 220 pounds, but he is similar to the 6-4, 264-pound Jacobs. Both run straight ahead with plenty of power.

"We're kind of bruising type of backs," Droughns said in an interview on Sirius NFL Radio. "We'll be able to wear down a lot of defenses. Teams are going to get very tired when it comes to the fourth quarter."

The Giants had pursued free-agent Dominic Rhodes, who signed a two-year deal with Oakland yesterday, and inquired about Travis Henry, who earlier signed with Denver. They also tried to trade for Willis McGahee before Buffalo dealt him to Baltimore on Thursday. Instead, they landed Droughns, who rushed for 758 yards last season in just 14 games and was slowed by a sprained foot. The journeyman topped 1,200 yards in each of the two previous years.

"We think he gives us a nice veteran presence and complements Brandon Jacobs and the rest of our running back group nicely," Reese said.

The Browns dealt Droughns after signing Jamal Lewis, who had been released by the Ravens, to a one-year deal. Droughns does come with some baggage, though. In November 2005, he was arrested in Ohio on drunken driving charges, though he was acquitted seven months later. And last May he was arrested at his home outside of Denver for allegedly assaulting his wife, Kellie, and throwing her outside of the house. Those charges were later dropped.

Regardless, the price was obviously right for the Giants. In the 27-year-old Carter, they gave up a speedy receiver with loads of potential, but one who has had trouble staying on the field in his five NFL seasons. He was healthy last year, but when given the chance to replace the injured Amani Toomer, he responded with only 22 catches for 253 yards.

Carter figured to have a battle on his hands this summer for the No.3 receiver job with Sinorice Moss, who also had injury troubles as a rookie last year.

"We wish Tim the best," Reese said. "I think it will be good for him to have a fresh start. We have some young receivers that we are ready to throw into the mix."

I can rest easy now . Not just because we signed Droughns but because of how Reese handled the whole week. Reese was talking to Free Agents trying to get them here a few showed up other didn't . Reese did not break the bank on anyone like other teams did a lot of them will be doomed with cap hell in a few years. I am glad he didn't just sign someone just for the sake of signing someone.

whats that age old adage? "patients is a virtue". So far I feel Reese has handled this mediocre Free Agency very well . Especially after seeing what teams where shelling out for players .The Vishanta Shancio (sp) made me wonder what the Vikings were thinking :confused: How would we feel If Reese dropped $18 Mill for say Grant (the safety that is soposed to meet with us) and we dont really know his history .

I have to agree with you, I have been getting a bit impatient just for something to happen but Reese has done a good job not overspending.

Thought on Reuben: He played FB at first didn't he? Hopefully Gilbride will come up with some schemes where they get Reuben and Brandon on the field at the same time, maybe in a pro set? The ball could go to either one of them and with Reuben having FB experience and Brandon being...well Brandon either could block for the other.

Reuben has also been a decent receiver out of the backfield, averaging 30 or so catches a season. Combine that with Jacobs getting better out of the backfield a pro set with the two of them back there has a lot of options for Gilbride and Eli to go with.

It makes sense too.

are you the new motes? :LMAO:

maybe I was talking in Slovenian ? sence meaning temple :either of the flat parts of the head at the side of the forehead.(in other words he was using his head.....)

I can rest easy now . Not just because we signed Droughns but because of how Reese handled the whole week. Reese was talking to Free Agents trying to get them here a few showed up other didn't . Reese did not break the bank on anyone like other teams did a lot of them will be doomed with cap hell in a few years. I am glad he didn't just sign someone just for the sake of signing someone.

whats that age old adage? "patients is a virtue". So far I feel Reese has handled this mediocre Free Agency very well . Especially after seeing what teams where shelling out for players .The Vishanta Shancio (sp) made me wonder what the Vikings were thinking :confused: How would we feel If Reese dropped $18 Mill for say Grant (the safety that is soposed to meet with us) and we dont really know his history .

In all honesty..I really wasn't expecting much when it came to free agent. I really like the idea we may start building this team through the draft. A stradegy we should of started a long time ago.