SportsWrath

Manny Lawson Interview

BigPete

from http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=11113

Manny Lawson (DE - N.C. State) - Sunday, February 26, 2006:

Q: Would you feel most comfortable as a outside linebacker or a defensive end?

Lawson: Wherever a team wants to put me, so long as I can play.

Q: If you went to a 4-3 team, what weight do you think you come become eventually?

Lawson: The way I look at it, my weight can hold a lot, but I don't want to substitute weight for speed, so I'll probably stop adding weight whenever I start slowing down.

Q: What's the most you've ever weighed?

Lawson: The most I've ever weighed is 247.

Q: Are you going to do all the workouts at the Combine?

Lawson: Yes.

Q: Who all have you met with here at the Combine?

Lawson: The Falcons, Jaguars, Dallas, New York Giants, Tampa Bay...I can't remember all of them. I had eight interviews last night.

Q: How about the Dolphins?

Lawson: I have not met with them. I actually met with them at the Senior Bowl.

Q: Is there a certain way to block punts like you did so much in college?

Lawson: There is a specific technique. Really, I think the knack is ‘want to,' as coach [Chuck] Amato would call it. If you want to get back there, you'll do anything or whatever it takes to get back there.

Q: How do you feel about being compared to linebacker/defensive end tweeners like Willie McGinest?

Lawson: It's crazy because they've done things I have not yet done, so I don't know what to say.

Q: Do you think Mario Williams complemented you as much as you were a complement to him at State?

Lawson: I think it goes both ways. When you see one guy coming around the corner, you're definitely not going to run his way, so you're automatically going to go the other way and into the next guy, who you don't see. I think we both complemented each other.

Q: Are you faster than Mario?

Lawson: By far. It's not even close. Not even.

Q: You did jumps for N.C. State track?

Lawson: Yes. Long jump and triple jump. I ran track all the way up until my junior year. I stopped before my senior year so I could focus more on football and get closer to [weighing] 400 pounds [laughs].

Q: How many reps did you do in the bench?

Lawson: I did 23 reps.

Q: Is that the most you've ever done?

Lawson: Actually, that's the only time I've ever done it.

Q: Where are you training?

Lawson: Phoenix, Arizona. Fisher Sports wish Brett Fisher.

Q: Did you put 25 pounds on before your senior year?

Lawson: Yes.

Q: How?

Lawson: Baked potatoes. Baked potatoes and right after I ate baked potatoes, I went to the gym. Just constantly eating and then working out rather than eating and running and then working out.

Q: How much have you played standing up like a linebacker?

Lawson: I played probably two years to a year and a half.

Q: As a starter?

Lawson: I started against passing teams standing up whenever my talents were needed to cover a tight end or a receiver.

Q: So do you think playing outside linebacker for a 3-4 team would be a huge

adjustment for you?

Lawson: I don't feel it will be new to me at all. There may be a technique I have to learn or re-learn or improve upon, but as far as covering somebody, as far as dropping back in zone, I feel I can do it.

Q: So you're very comfortable in dropping into pass coverage?

Lawson: Very. I've been dropping into pass coverages all throughout my years even as a defensive end.

Q: How accomplished of a pass rusher do you feel you are?

Lawson: I'm pretty much still learning. I'm going to always be learning. I feel I have a variety and array of pass rushing moves that I can use and that will work, but if you really want to look at it, I've only been playing defensive end at the collegiate level for two years. So I'm still new to the game.

Q: Would you liken your abilities to anyone currently in the NFL, or is there anyone you model your game after?

Lawson: The guy who I look up to is a guy about my size, my height: Jason Taylor. And another guy is Dwight Freeney, because I wish I had the spin move to where I could keep spinning and spinning and somehow end up at the quarterback. I just can't do it.

Q: Who's the better end, you or Mario Williams?

Lawson: Better end? Better looking is me hands-down. We both have our days. Sometimes I'll end up with a good day and sometimes he'll end up with a good day. I've been rated as an athlete ad he's your prototypical end.

Q: You were voted your team's most valuable defensive lineman the past two seasons. Who votes on that?

Lawson: The team votes, the coaches vote.

Well he couldnt rem all 8 teams but he rem us...

that is sorta good news nothing of real importance though

i wouldnt mind him in the first although he could be considered a project at olb and not sure if the first round pick for the giants should be a project

Well he couldnt rem all 8 teams but he rem us...

that is sorta good news nothing of real importance though

i wouldnt mind him in the first although he could be considered a project at olb and not sure if the first round pick for the giants should be a project

First of all, I dont really think he is too much of a project. Yes, he played DL in his last 2 years, but hes played LB before and hes a very good athlete. As he said, he dropped back into zone often, which is a lot like playing LB. Also, hes not expected to start. He comes in to backup Emmons or Torbor with the idea of replacing Emmons in a year. I think he fits that image pretty nicely and he just might be talented enough to suprise some people and actually have a pretty good year, a la Tatupa.

First of all, I dont really think he is too much of a project. Yes, he played DL in his last 2 years, but hes played LB before and hes a very good athlete. As he said, he dropped back into zone often, which is a lot like playing LB. Also, hes not expected to start. He comes in to backup Emmons or Torbor with the idea of replacing Emmons in a year. I think he fits that image pretty nicely and he just might be talented enough to suprise some people and actually have a pretty good year, a la Tatupa.

Manny Lawson will be a quality WLB for us

remember: David Pollack has been quite successful at WLB for the bengals, despite not being as fast or atheltic as Lawson and not having some prior experience at LB

Reggie Torbor successfully made the transition.

don't forget Tim Lewis knows how to develop quality LBs, plus Lawson would have Carlos Emmons and Antonio Pierce to help him learn the position, there are probably not two better mentors on any team

I think we will use him in rotation with a solid vet at WLB. He will be able to impact right away in passing situations and on special teams.

Manny Lawson will take some time to develop, but he has physical skills that are off the chart. If it wasn't for the extreme depth at LB this year, he would go alot earlier.

I particularly like Lawson's team attitude and work ethic, he seems to me like a guy who will thrive under Tom Coughlin, Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan.

Manny Lawson would be the fastest, most athletic LB we have had since Lawrence Taylor

Guest Nutty Sack
As long as we go LBer in the first round and we get a guy with good size, good speed, and good smarts; I'll be happy.

Agreed !! Pick the best available LB in the first round !!!

Agreed !! Pick the best available LB in the first round !!!

For me its between Sims and Lawson, I'd be happy with either. It appears that Sims will be taken in the middle of the first round, making the the decision easy. Lawson at 25.