SportsWrath

Phillies Myers fires next shot at the Amazin` Mets

RandolphScott

Myers takes another shot at the Mets

Friday, February 23, 2007

CLEARWATER, Fla -- This is starting to get just a bit silly, or as the New York Daily News put it, "Sillie Phillie."In volley five of the give-and-take between the New York Mets and Phillies, the Mets' reaction was characterized as "ho-hum and chuckles" to Jimmy Rollins' reassertion that the Phillies are the team to beat this year in the division.

The Mets, of course, have the upper hand, coming off a 97-65 record that gave them the title by 12 games over the second-place Phillies.

Rollins liked his team's offseason moves -- such as the trade for starting pitcher Freddy Garcia -- so much that he has said time and time again, the Phillies are the team to beat.

This hasn't fallen on deaf ears in Port St. Lucie, spring home of the Mets.

"The Phillies, they can come out and talk as much as they want," Mets third baseman David Wright was quoted as saying. "Until they prove it on the field, then it's just talk. Until somebody steps up out there and dethrones us, we're the defending National League East champs and we're going to act like it. As far as throwing out predictions and talking about it, talk is very, very cheap."

It is, especially since the season is still more than a month away.

The Phillies play the Mets five times in the first 14 games of the season, including New York's home opener April 9. If nothing else, at least the rivalry should add some juice to April.

"I hate the Mets," said Brett Myers, who made it clear it was more about the uniform than individual players. "I want to beat them more than anyone else. What we need to do is make sure none of their fans get in our building. We shouldn't sell tickets to Mets fans."

And while manager Charlie Manuel and seemingly the entire Phillies clubhouse still has no problem with Rollins' comments, the best reaction to the whole thing came from Chase Utley, who glazed over when the topic was broached.

"Our whole goal is to come out of spring training ready to play and no matter who we play, we'll take that mentality," Utley said. "You know, build on last year."

As for bulletin board material, Utley was his same old self.

"No."

And now the ball is back in the Mets' court.

Wall of Fame: Beginning today, fans can vote online exclusively at phillies.com for the next members of the team's Wall of Fame at Citizens Bank Park.

Voting ends at noon on Friday, March 23. Fans can select their top three choices from a 15-man ballot of Phillies alumni. A first-place vote is worth five points, second-place three points and third-place one point.

The 15 former Phillies who appear on the online ballot are: Pitchers Larry Christenson, Jim Konstanty, Ron Reed, Dick Ruthven, and Rick Wise; catcher Darren Daulton; infielders John Kruk, Fred Luderus, Juan Samuel and Pinky Whitney; outfielders Lenny Dykstra, Von Hayes, manager Gene Mauch and coaches Mike Ryan, John Vukovich. -- Michael Radano

Do us a favor Brett, go slap around your wife a couple more times. If I see you in the bowels of Shea, I`m throwing something at you.

Brett Myers? Is that the same Brett Myers who was the dick that slapped his wife around in Boston?

I can't wait to kick their ass. I'm loving it, April is looking like an awesome first couple of weeks. Cardinals, Braves, and Phils to start it off. I want to crush all of them.

Seriously, I don't really pay too much attention to all the talk, but Myers really should just keep his mouth shut. If people could say something really embarrassing about you, and they don't because they're trying to be classy, then you've forfeited the right to spout off. Just keep your mouth shut, and try to be a perfect gentleman, and maybe in about 15 years people will begin to think you might not be a complete animal.

Seriously, I don't really pay too much attention to all the talk, but Myers really should just keep his mouth shut. If people could say something really embarrassing about you, and they don't because they're trying to be classy, then you've forfeited the right to spout off. Just keep your mouth shut, and try to be a perfect gentleman, and maybe in about 15 years people will begin to think you might not be a complete animal.

Some quotes I would like to see out of Met camp regarding this:

"Brett Myers? I saw him this off season golfing with OJ"

"Does Brett Myers wife still run her face into his fist?"

"Myers is out on parole?"

"If Myers treats the Mets like he did his wife we are in deep shit".

"Does his whore wife still make out with guys in Boston bars and then let him beat her ass on the street?"

Just like a third-rate city that they are ...."Lenny Dykstra" is a candidate for their Wall of Fame. Jesus you can't make this stuff up. How lame. That would be like the Mets putting up a Yankee style Canyon of Heroes and see Kevin McReynolds bust/plaque up there. :P :lol:

Just like a third-rate city that they are ...."Lenny Dystra" is a candidate for their Wall of Fame. Jesus you can't make this stuff up. How lame. That would be like the Mets putting up a Yankee style Canyon of Heroes and see Kevin McReynolds bust/plaque up there. :P :lol:

McReynolds had the most well groomed mustache in Mets' history...